"I'm a vegetarian, but I eat fish" - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2007, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconformnmom View Post
animals of all kinds are pretty much doomed for a painful and horrific death no matter by man's hand or nature's.
wow, and i thought i was a pessimist!

we are all doomed to die, this is true, i disagree that all of us will die a painful and horrific death though.... also the lucky ones will not have to spend the time they have alive in horrific and abusive conditions.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 01:22 PM

Michael Pollan's book, "The Omnivore's Dilemma" is where I got my pessimism from. Good point about the living conditions. My dh and I eat only eggs that come from "happy chickens", so I really do care.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconformnmom View Post

Death in nature is not pretty; animals of all kinds are pretty much doomed for a painful and horrific death no matter by man's hand or nature's. That's not to say I don't care, I feel for them; but it's just a fact of life (and death).
But, thousands of hogs crammed into a teeny tiny building isn't something that exists in nature. We created it. It isn't like someone rounded up animals and knocked them over the head instead of letting them get eaten by another animal. In the mass meat production system we have animals are being bred and living short horrific lives for the sole purpose of being eaten. If not for this system these animals simply would not exist in these numbers.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:44 PM

Yes, Roar, you reminded me that I left off "against factory farming" on my list of reasons for preferring a vegetarian diet, above.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar View Post
I would love to see some kind of clarification or posting from the moderator about the rules of this forum. Is it a support forum and if so how come there are so many pro meat eating posts. I have zero problem if folks who eat meat post here and want to learn more about vegetarianism or ideas for healthy eating, but the meat is healthier we are supposed to be eating it posts seem out of line.
Sorry I haven't been able to post more - I am having computer trouble and my ability to stay online long enough to post is limited. I have been receiving report notices - and my computer rudely shuts down nearly every time I click on a link. Sory for the inconvenience this has been causing!

Whether posting to the Vegetarian and Vegan Living forum or the Traditional Foods forum, PLEASE keep on mind that these are support forums, not places for debate on the healthfulness of either approach to eating. If you wish to have a respectful conversation about the merits or limitations of these diets, please post them in the General Nutrition and Good Eating forum, NOT in the support forums that have been created for people.

We are working on creating some guidelines for this forum - until they are ready, please keep the above in mind.

peace,
Shantimama
Old 05-12-2007, 03:50 AM

I was just going to post about this issues. It bugs me when I hear people say they are a vegetarian but they do eat fish. One time when I was asked if I eat fish, I did say does it have a face then I do not eat it.
I wish people that were truly not vegetarians would stop calling themselves vegetarians.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:54 PM

I really don't get why the occasional meat eaters (including the fish eaters!) get so bent out of shape if vegetarians don't like meat eaters being referred to as vegetarian. It has nothing to do with a club. I have yet to get my vegetarian club membership card. But words have meaning, and if you eat meat, you aren't vegetarian. Simple as that. I can call myself the queen of england and it won't make it so. I'm the first one to commend someone for eating fewer animal products, but, as others have already pointed out, it makes it really hard on those of us that don't eat meat at all when this confusion just won't go away.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:41 AM

I eat fish sometimes, but I do NOT call myself vegetarian. But as soon as people hear I don't red meat, THEY say, "Oh, you're a vegetarian!" Um, no. But that's what a lot of people think because not eating meat is so FOREIGN to them. :
Old 05-14-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry View Post
I eat fish sometimes, but I do NOT call myself vegetarian. But as soon as people hear I don't red meat, THEY say, "Oh, you're a vegetarian!" Um, no. But that's what a lot of people think because not eating meat is so FOREIGN to them. :

I eat fish on occasion too, and would never call myself vegetarian. At a birthday party this past weekend, a friend of our who knows we eat some fish, referred to us as vegetarians. Dh and I quickly said, "Oh no, we aren't vegetarians, we eat fish sometimes". Friend went on to say that he knows lots of "vegetarians" who eat fish. Dh and I laughed and said that we don't consider people who eat any animal flesh to be vegetarians. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard in my life! A vegetarian who eats animal!

As for pro-meat eaters posting in this forum... I haven't seen too much of that, but it should not happen at all. Even though I'm not vegetarian, I eat vegetarian usually 6 days/week. I like to hang out here for good recipes and all that. I hope nobody minds that. I fully support all my vegetarian and vegan friends.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom View Post
Even though I'm not vegetarian, I eat vegetarian usually 6 days/week. I like to hang out here for good recipes and all that. I hope nobody minds that. I fully support all my vegetarian and vegan friends.
Absolutely not -- we don't require or need that everyone who posts here be fully vegetarian, just that they be supportive of a vegetarian lifestyle. I only have a hard time with people who believe that veg*n diets are inherently unhealthy posting here in that I don't think that they can ever offer truly objective opinions of vegetarian diets or with those who post on this board about how a veg*n diet destroyed their health.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:22 AM

I'm pretty sure that vegetarian who eats fish is actually a vegan.

I was joking. I didn't mean to kill your thread.

I eat meat, but DH is ovo-lacto vegetarian. It's not that tough to figure out what you eat? I'm amazed at how many people think they are veg and still eat fish.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskye View Post
I'm pretty sure that vegetarian who eats fish is actually a vegan.

lmao

i showed my friend this thread and this is what she said
"they always accuse us of being obsessed with labels
but they are the ones who are clinging to a label, one they dont require"

i couldnt agree more

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

Old 05-23-2007, 09:04 AM

:
Old 05-23-2007, 10:15 AM

Old 05-23-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relynn View Post
Well, after 14 years of vegans saying they eat fish, honey,etc. My dh has had it with the vegan label and says he will now only tell people he follows a "plant based diet".
The problem he is going to run into there is that it defines his lifestyle choices only in terms of what he will consume (diet), not what he will wear or otherwise utilize. I can't imagine saying that I am vegan and eat fish, although I do think that line on honey and white sugar (bone char) seems to be fairly blurry btwn different people who use the term vegan. Likewise on leather, wool, etc.

I do get what you are saying about the fact that one should not need to preface the term vegan with the adjective "strict." The blurring of the line does seem to necessitate it, unfortunately, though.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:25 PM

Yeah maybe "plant based lifestyle" might be a better description for him. Of course than he will get the usual "Why don't you just call yourself vegan?" and all that the discussion will entail!! There's just no perfect answer for everyone unfortunetly.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:30 PM

I would like to suggest that perhaps fish-eating people label themselves as veg due to ignorance and not malice/flippancy/wishy-washiness. I think that this ignorance is propagated by at least 3 different things:

1) The Catholic idea that fish is not a meat, which has pervaded pop culture.

2) Actual vegetarian literature. I'm not veg now, but I used to be, and I had a few books about how to get started in vegetarianism that included definitions of all the different kinds of veg*nism - including pescovegetarian and pollovegetarian. These were listed IN veg books as being veg. I don't have the book on me right now, but I believe one of the offenders was The Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegetarianism. Here are some examples of online veg resources that say this:
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/CO.../cc040316.html
http://www.intellectualloafing.com/a...etarianism.htm
http://vegetarian.about.com/od/veget...TypesofVeg.htm
http://www.co.mohave.az.us/WIC/Vegetarian.htm

3) People coming in contact with pescatarians who mistakenly call themselves vegetarians due to reasons 1 and 2.

Anyway, I'm not saying it's not annoying/difficult for ya'll, just that it might be useful to try and figure out WHY people do this so that you know how to combat it.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
Old 05-23-2007, 02:45 PM

And as a former vegetarian married to a still vegetarian (eggs and dairy, yes, but no meat, including fish, chicken stock, etc.)... I have said when people ask that "I *eat a mostly vegetarian diet* and dh is vegetarian." I don't say that "I am a vegetarian but eat fish and poultry."

The difference being that I am not vegetarian anymore, but my diet is still 80%-90% vegetarian. I am very used to foods that omnivores are sometimes confused by, such as quinoa and bulgur and to let people know that they do not need to do a meat dish side for me. Relatives in particular seem to do this if they have a vegetarian dinner and have ominvores coming, adding baked chicken or fish as a side dish. I don't, however, say I'm vegetarian in other settings, like restaurants. I order what I want to order, and if I ask if something has red meat or pork, I don't say that I'm vegetarian, I say that I don't eat red meat, or don't say anything about why.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Old 05-24-2007, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty View Post
There's just no perfect answer for everyone unfortunetly.
I think this says a lot.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:09 AM

I don't mind people who are "vegetarian except fish" as much as I mind those who are "vegetarian but eat chicken". Yeah, there is no good description for this stuff, but labeling as veggie if you eat animal is just silly.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:22 PM

Just have to say that the exact situation I try to avoid by labeling myself "vegetarian" (even though I VERY occasionally eat certain fish) happened to us the other day. We went to DH's adviser's house for dinner and were served farmed salmon. You know why? Because at some point we mentioned that we sometimes eat certain fish (which to him meant "Oh, good, we can have fish").

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 05-24-2007, 03:04 PM

EEEK, loraxc that's awful. What did you do?

Old 05-24-2007, 04:46 PM

I ate a small piece. As did DH. It was just the two families eating together, so we couldn't really eat around it. DH made a comment, however.

Adviser: Oh, I hope you eat salmon!
DH: (semi-jokingly, but not really) Well, it's wild Alaskan sea salmon, right?
Adviser: (sheepish): Uh...well. No.
DH: That's a shame. Well, I suppose we'll have to make an exception. We don't normally eat it.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 05-24-2007, 04:58 PM

That's a tough position to be in.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:57 PM

usual converstation starter with ppl I don't know:

DH: She's vegetarian.
Person: oh really?
Me: not technically, because I do eat fish, so Im a pesco-vegetarian, but prefer a veggie diet whenever possible.

the end.

Not sure what is so complicated about that. Like a previous person said, ppl choose this diet for a variety of reasons, for me it was health. It does get tiresome trying to always explain my eating habbits to ppl or my choices; occasionally I don't ~ and I can see where that could lead to confusion among the 'true' vegetarian/vegan community.

sorry *waving white flag*

I'll try to be more specific in the future...
Old 05-24-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxinsmom View Post
usual converstation starter with ppl I don't know:

DH: She's vegetarian.
Person: oh really?
Me: not technically, because I do eat fish, so Im a pesco-vegetarian, but prefer a veggie diet whenever possible.

the end.

Not sure what is so complicated about that. Like a previous person said, ppl choose this diet for a variety of reasons, for me it was health. It does get tiresome trying to always explain my eating habbits to ppl or my choices; occasionally I don't ~ and I can see where that could lead to confusion among the 'true' vegetarian/vegan community.

sorry *waving white flag*

I'll try to be more specific in the future...
I've never heard of Pesco-vegetarian. What does that entail?
Old 05-24-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilajolene View Post
I've never heard of Pesco-vegetarian. What does that entail?
It simply means that you follow a vegetarian lifestyle for the most part and will on occassion eat fish.

Unfortunatly there is no Pesceterian Living thread, and I really don't want to read about ppl eating pork, beef, chicken etc...so I stay away from the other 'food threads'. I feel that I am very respectful to the ppl here and their choice not to eat fish and don't make a point to announce my ... pescaterianism (there, now I've spelled it three different ways ).
Hope that clears things up...

User Tag List