quick non-processed breakfast ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-15-2007, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some quick and easy breakfast ideas... prep time is ok if its a muffin recipe or something like that... but in the morning it needs to be something i can eat and feed my toddler one handed... the baby is a grump in the morn and wants to pop on/off nursing throughout...

we dont do cereals, sugar, white flour/refined grains, processed foods and are striving towards (but nowhere near yet) vegan diets...

any ideas?

(oh, and smoothie recipes will work in a few weeks - im about to order either a blentec or vitamix...)
#2 of 17 Old 05-15-2007, 04:50 PM

not sure if you would qualify it as cereal or not, but our quickest breakfast is stovetop granola.

we dry-roast rolled oats (original, not quick) in an iron skillet, add some chopped nuts and coconut, turn the heat off when they're hot all the way through and add flax and unhulled sesame seeds. Then shake a little salt on, drizzle with olive or walnut oil, mix well and sprinkle just a little organic sugar on and mix well.

if we're in a real hurry, we just serve it hot, otherwise we let it cool in bowls for a few minutes before adding the nutmilk.
#3 of 17 Old 05-15-2007, 04:56 PM

I love slow cooked oats with blueberries

I boil a cup of water, then put in the oats. When water soaks in, I pour in some frozen blueberries. It's really great with vanilla soymilk on it. Yum!

scrambled egg or tofu burritos are good too.

I'm going to keep watching this thread.
Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#4 of 17 Old 05-15-2007, 08:32 PM

Waffles, pancakes and french toast all freeze well so you could make them ahead. You can choose a recipe that is has whole wheat or almond flour and add chopped nuts for more protein.
#5 of 17 Old 05-15-2007, 08:43 PM

My kids love peanut butter sandwiches for breakfast. We make our own bread, use Adams peanut butter (best we can get here), and all fruit jam--homemade if I have it. My kids also love smoothies for breakfast--usually frozen fruit, protein powder (or yogurt in my home), greens powder, etc. . . Tofu scramble is super easy to make and a fav with my kids (soft tofu, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, garlic, onion, and tumeric). Sometimes I make up a batch of waffle batter and keep it in the fridge for a few days.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#6 of 17 Old 05-15-2007, 10:42 PM

I soak my rolled or steel cut oats overnight, and them cook them in the morning, they are softer that way, cook faster and are more nutritious and easier to digest. I add butter or flax oil, LOTS of cinnamon ( until its a nice shade of brown) and stevia or maple syrup. the cinnamon is great because researchers have found it assists the body with sugar handling, and that way you dont get a high and low from the maple syrup. Mmmm, this was great for me, even during the peak of morning sickness when nothing sounded good to eat.

Mama to 2: 2twins.gif 12/7 and 9/10
#7 of 17 Old 05-15-2007, 10:58 PM

Sliced apple & cheese & whole almonds

Chopped hard-boiled egg & avocado w/a little olive oil, salt & pepper (or nix the egg & use something else. avocado for breakfast is a big fave of mine)

Haven't tried this yet - but it sounds great. Fruit tabouleh: soak bulgur wheat in apple or o.j. at least 2 hours (or, to be quick in the am, overnight) & drain excess. Then add chopped dates & any other fruits, chopped mint, honey/sugar/lemon juice to taste.
#8 of 17 Old 05-15-2007, 11:49 PM

I just made these vegan banana nut muffins last night, easy, healthy and delicious. Next time I plan to add cranberries and orange zest, you could also add blueberries.

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 oz. applesauce
1 cup nuts (optional)
Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease loaf pan or muffin tin.

Sift dry ingredients together. Mix wet ingredients together. Gently fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just mixed. Add walnuts.

Bake loaf about 45 minutes, or until firm in the center and golden brown. Check muffins after 15 minutes, and keep baking until firm and golden brown. Turn both loaf pan and muffin tins 1/2 a turn 3/4 of the way through the bake time to ensure that they are evenly baked.
#9 of 17 Old 05-16-2007, 02:37 PM

Oat bran! Cooks in 5 minutes, boil 1.5 cups water and 0.5 cup oat bran. My two babes love it plain.

Steel-cut oatmeal. Great with pureed squash added for extra creaminess.

Chopped fruit.

Smoothies.

Dried fruit, nuts, seeds

Kefir (or yogurt) and berries or bananas
#10 of 17 Old 05-16-2007, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I often cook steel cut oats in the slow cooker overnight and stir in a little maple syrup and fruit in the morning.

I also make a batch of homemade granola every week and eat it as finger food out of a bowl on busy mornings.
#11 of 17 Old 05-16-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post
I often cook steel cut oats in the slow cooker overnight and stir in a little maple syrup and fruit in the morning.
I do this a TON. It's so easy - in a smaller size crockpot, put 2 c. steel-cut oats, 6 c. water (or 5 c. water 1 c. apple juice) and a pinch of salt. Cook on LOW for 7 hours, and voila! Breakfast for the day, and leftovers for tomorrow.

Mmmmmmm . . . . oatmeal.

Writer, wife to a great DH, AP mama to one sweet boy 6/07 and expecting a girl in October!
#12 of 17 Old 05-16-2007, 07:35 PM

DD likes yogurt topped with granola and raisins or dried cranberries.

Scrambled eggs are quick if you eat eggs. To make them fluffy, beat them lightly in a bowl with just a splash of milk before cooking.

Smoothie recipe my whole family loves:

Dump frozen, sliced strawberries and organic vanilla yogurt into the blender or food processor until it is the consistency you like (you can do thick to eat with spoon or thin to drink with straw.) It won't water down as it melts since there is no ice. You can use frozen peaches, blueberries, etc. for different flavors, or mix them up.

I don't know if you could find a bagel that isn't processed, or if you could make them, but bagels or toast with cream cheese is good and fast.

Fruit salad? Slice and mix: strawberries, apples, fresh pineapple and drizzle with some honey and refrigerate.

Quiche is another good one if you eat eggs. You can do them with green peppers, mushrooms, etc.

Manda

::Mommy to Pixie : 9-3-00 and Peri 11-15-07
#13 of 17 Old 05-16-2007, 07:42 PM

Fruit!

Super quick and easy. We keep a huge bowl of different fruits washed on the kitchen counter and everyone can grab something in the a.m. Bananas are our favorite. Also blueberries (in the fridge) and strawberries, but apples, cantalope, watermelon, peaches, plums (in season),. You name it.
#14 of 17 Old 05-16-2007, 09:19 PM

Another suggestion is mochi (ours has brown rice and cinnamon - no added sugar). It takes a good amount of time for the oven to preheat, but once it does, it just takes 10 minutes and can easily be eaten with one hand.

chanale ✡, ❖bibliophile❖ ❇vegan❇ mom to diva (5½)
madly in with spiritwolf, dad to (9) & (5½)
#15 of 17 Old 05-16-2007, 09:37 PM

Fruit!

(Fresh, Juice, Smoothies)
#16 of 17 Old 05-17-2007, 11:39 AM

Fruit salad. You can prepare it in the evening and leave it in the fridge overnight.

You can make your own muesli with a combination of grains, fruits, nuts and seeds. You can get things like buckwheat flakes, puffed millet or rolled barley if you are looking for a more healthy option. Mix a couple of different grains together, add some different dried fruits, add some linseeds, sunflower seeds etc and some nuts. It keeps in a sealed container for ages. You can pour on soya milk, or nut milks in the morning and maybe add some strawberries or fresh fruits.

I had a recipe one time for overnight oats - or something like that. It was oats, soaked in apple juice in the fridge overnight. You added grated apple, raisins and what ever other fruits you wanted.

This is maybe a bit odd for a breakfast idea, but I found it in a recipe book in the breakfast section. Its miso barley soup. Maybe not the best thing for a toddler to eat, but ok for you. You could drink it one handed from a mug. Heres the instructions (for one serving):
4 tbsp of pearl barley - soaked overnight
1 packet of instant miso soup

Drain the barley. Bring 125ml of water to the boil. Add barley and simmer for 15 mins. Add the packet of miso and serve.

If you have a basic muffin recipe (or scone recipe) you can do just about anything with it! I like savory muffins, but my kids like blueberry, or ones made with dried fruits. They freeze well too.
#17 of 17 Old 05-18-2007, 12:19 AM

cous cous is super fast and easy- white or whole wheat- add rice syrup/sweetner/ fruit/chopped nuts and you're good to go. It takes about 1 minute to cook.

we also love mochi and pbj sandwiches for breakfast- all fast and tasty.

another thing we do sometimes is if we have fried polenta squares for dinner there are usually leftovers, either fried or unfried and that is also a super easy thing to fix. Served with salsa, bean stew, both or plain it's always a family favorite.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page