A new "What's for dinner?" thread! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 751 Old 07-19-2007, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I changed my mind last night and wound up making sweet potato and black bean burritos instead, which were delicious!

Tonight will be some sort of pasta creation with whole wheat pasta, spinach, roasted peppers, chopped mozzerella, and balsamic viniagrette.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 of 751 Old 07-19-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyLizards View Post
Ok, I changed my mind last night and wound up making sweet potato and black bean burritos instead, which were delicious!
I'd love that recipe!! I want to make some, but I only have a recipe for blk bean & sp enchiladas.

Last night was lentil sloppy joes that didn't turn out too well, corn on the cob & melon.

Not sure about tonight yet

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#363 of 751 Old 07-19-2007, 06:28 PM

Sure, I sort of made it up, but based it on ones I've seen.

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos

2 sweet potatoes
1 can of black beans (I use Eden Organic)
1/2 an onion
2 cloves of garlic
some veg. oil
4 tortillas
cumin, salt, pepper, Adobo seasoning to taste

1) Peel and dice the sweet potatoes. Place them in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for ten minutes, until soft.

2) Mince the garlic and chop the onion. Saute them both in the oil, until onion is browned a bit. Remove from heat.

3) When potatoes are done, drain and place them in a bowl. Mash them with a potato masher or fork. Stir in the onion and garlic and the can of beans after they have been drained and rinsed. Here's where you add whatever seasonings you want. I added lots of Adobo (whcih you get in the ethnic aisle at the store)

4) Spoon filling into four tortillas, roll them up and place them in a baking dish. (I suppose this part is optional.) I covered two of them with salsa, which was yummy. I baked them at 375 for about 20 minutes. They came out crispy, which was really good.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#364 of 751 Old 07-19-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyLizards View Post
Sure, I sort of made it up, but based it on ones I've seen.

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos

2 sweet potatoes
1 can of black beans (I use Eden Organic)
1/2 an onion
2 cloves of garlic
some veg. oil
4 tortillas
cumin, salt, pepper, Adobo seasoning to taste

1) Peel and dice the sweet potatoes. Place them in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for ten minutes, until soft.

2) Mince the garlic and chop the onion. Saute them both in the oil, until onion is browned a bit. Remove from heat.

3) When potatoes are done, drain and place them in a bowl. Mash them with a potato masher or fork. Stir in the onion and garlic and the can of beans after they have been drained and rinsed. Here's where you add whatever seasonings you want. I added lots of Adobo (whcih you get in the ethnic aisle at the store)

4) Spoon filling into four tortillas, roll them up and place them in a baking dish. (I suppose this part is optional.) I covered two of them with salsa, which was yummy. I baked them at 375 for about 20 minutes. They came out crispy, which was really good.
Thanks!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#365 of 751 Old 07-21-2007, 04:48 PM

Tonight it's a smoky tomato lentil soup with a big salad. Tomorrow will be sloppy lentil and another really big salad. I'm also going to make a pot of baked beans tomorrow sow e have them kicking around for breakfasts and lunches.
#366 of 751 Old 07-21-2007, 04:53 PM
pia

I´ve just put potatoes and white onion in the oven with fresh herbs - rosemary, sage and basil. Sprinkled with olive oil, salt+pepper and a bit of paprika powder.
Will serve with an avocado-mixed lettuce-20yr balsamic vinegar - salad.

:
#367 of 751 Old 07-21-2007, 11:11 PM

Oh man... good cookin' at the Ranchero De-Luxe today...

For lunch we had grilled cheese with provolone, tomato, and really good parmesan. We also have some of that 20 yr old balsamic vinegar ( ) and I mixed that, mayo and basil together for a little sauce. So good.

For dinner, Chinese BBQ tofu - recipe here:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/10...egetables.html

but added some crushed red pepper for extra heat. Served that with millet mixed with tamari and toasted slivered almonds and roasted broccoli with sesame oil, sesame seeds and a little gorgonzola cheese. Delicious! Oh - and a glass of Franzia. :

love.gif

#368 of 751 Old 07-23-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole lisa View Post
Tonight it's a smoky tomato lentil soup with a big salad.
i'd love a recipe!

I can't seem to schedule myself enough so that I eat more than 2 meals a day.... and then I pig out on cookies! Not what I want to do....

Tonight was macncheese.....long day....

~ Kim

mama to E (01-2007) and wife to C

#369 of 751 Old 07-23-2007, 12:35 AM

I made stuffed poblano peppers (halfway between the Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone recipe and the one from Top Chef last week). I used a corn and tomato stuffing, but replaced some of the diced tomatoes with a green chile tomato sauce, used the poblanos instead of bell peppers, and made a guacamole sauce. It turned out pretty good! (nowhere as fancy as the Top Chef recipe, but still good!)

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#370 of 751 Old 07-23-2007, 12:43 AM

We were at a family BBQ today so I had a black bean burger with pickles, red onion and lettuce (sooo yummy), potato salad, pasta salad, and corn on the cob. DD feasted on a pasta salad with poppy seed dressing and mandarin oranges and strawberries.

#371 of 751 Old 07-23-2007, 12:43 AM

I've been avoiding turning on the stove here, but it was a bit cooler today, so I let it go for about ten minutes. We had Mexican rice and beans, sauteed swiss chard, and some sliced cucumbers and radishes (because DD goes hot and cold with the chard). Fresh peaches for dessert and iced tea to drink. Yummy!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#372 of 751 Old 07-23-2007, 12:48 AM

I was in the mood for comfort food, so I made "chicken noodle soup" (using La Dolce Vegan chicken style seitan from the freezer), blueberry muffins, and sprite melons. I was comforted!

Holly

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#373 of 751 Old 07-23-2007, 12:48 AM

Sure, captivatedlife. Here goes. Sorry for wonky formatting but I'm trying to abide by the copyright guidelines.

Smoky Lentil Soup

*the smokiness comes from a local beer which is only available from the brewery in Ontario so when it's not on hand I just add 1 bottle of stout and a drop or two of liquid smoke. That's my own sub. The recipe comes from a cafe an hour away.

2 cups diced carrots
1 cup diced sweet potato
2 cups diced turnip (man I hate peeling and chopping these!)
2 TBSP olive oil
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp salt

Combine all the above and roast in oven preheated to 375F for 30 mins,
turning once.

Meanwhile:
2 cups diced onion
4 ribs celery, diced
shake of salt

Combine onion, celery and salt in soup pot over med heat. You're going to caramelize them to create stock. Stir often to prevent burning. Let the veggies get as dark as you can be patient - 25-40 minutes.

4 cloves garlic, minced.

Add garlic in once onions etc have caramelized. Cook for 2 minutes.

1 bottle dark ale/stout.

Deglaze the pot with the bottle of beer Let simmer 2 minutes.

Add to pot:

Dash of liquid smoke
1 1/2 cups dried green lentils
1 19 oz can diced tomatoes
8 cups water
roasted turnip, carrots, sweet potato from first step

Bring to boil and let simmer an hour, until lentils are cooked.

Yummy!
#374 of 751 Old 07-23-2007, 05:01 PM

I am stuck on grilled portobella mushrooms lately. I can't get enough of them. And I have had a wicked craving for garbanzo beans. LAst night is was Tomatoes, fresh mozerella and garbanzo beans with tons of chopped parsely. It's been boring here, but thankfully the kids like it as well.

I am going to pull out some cookbooks later. Maybe then I can get my head out of my current fungus. (or funk-us ).
#375 of 751 Old 07-23-2007, 08:10 PM

Hee hee! too funny.

We're having grilled portobello burgers tonight, actually, courtesy of Mr. George Foreman's countertop grill.

And sweet potato fries.

And perhaps some sort of melon, if I can motivate myself to go to the store in this heat.

Holly

#376 of 751 Old 07-23-2007, 11:38 PM

tonight was pesto pasta (sauce made with garlic, pine nuts, fresh basil from my yard, olive oil, HOT water, & salt) with rapini over whole wheat pasta sprinkled with vegan parmesan and fresh diced tomatoes

Melanie, vegan mommy to twin girls born Dec. 2007, and another little girl born Sept. 25th, 2009!
#377 of 751 Old 07-24-2007, 03:08 PM

We're doing bento boxes here tonight. DS loves using boxes! We'll have rice (we use molds in the shape of flowers and rainbows), sauteed swiss chard (sauteed with Bragg's and garlic), lima beans with shallots in earth balance, roasted beets, a handful of almonds and salad with hemp dressing.
#378 of 751 Old 07-25-2007, 03:23 AM

OMG I just made the best sandwich for dinner. I was going to make crispy baked eggplant slices (breaded in vegan parmesan and ener-g egg replacer and lots of spices) on top of kale w/ tahini-garlic sauce.

Instead, I made the crispy eggplant slices into sandwiches with hummus, avocado, mixed greens, and red pepper rings. And of course some tahini-garlic sauce...y'know, to keep the vampires at bay. On Whole Foods sourdough ciabatta bread. This sandwich was so gorgeous, I should have taken it's picture, I swear. Yum.

Vampire-free Buttercup

#379 of 751 Old 07-25-2007, 03:29 PM

We had black bean & sweet potato burritos. Oh my gosh they were good & so easy to make!! I even got more than just "it's ok" from DH AMAZING! These will become a staple around here.

Tonight I think we will have some cheese ravioli w/ some sort of oil, garlic, grated zuch & nutritional yeast sauce.

#380 of 751 Old 07-28-2007, 02:43 AM

I am determined to make the black bean and sweet potato burritos for dinner tomorrow night...I made sure I got all the stuff at the store today.

However, tonight was "kid's choice," so we had (veggie) chili dogs, salad, canteloupe, and...LSU CAULIFLOWER!

I found the coolest purple and yellow baby cauliflower at HEB, so I had to buy them, in honor of my university's colors. They were too cute to eat without taking a picture first...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8671453@N03/922927571/

They looked like a big pile of pansies in the steamer basket. I don't know why I have this thing for pretty food, but was $2.99 well spent, considering my kids ate them. Well, since I threatened to withhold ice cream for dessert, they ate them. Tofutti Vanilla with Almond Bark is a powerful motivator, I guess. I thought they tasted good, anyway. They were milder than regular cauliflower, in a good way.

But tomorrow: sweet potato and black bean burritos!

Holly

#381 of 751 Old 07-28-2007, 03:00 AM

Subbing, and adding yummy recipe -

Rye bread
monterey jack cheese
red onion
fresh basil leaves
butter

Melt butter in heavy frying pan. Make sandwich according to personal tastes. Fry in butter, several minutes each side. Yummy with salad.
#382 of 751 Old 07-29-2007, 12:43 AM

I made your burritos for dinner and they were delicious. I didn't have any adobo sauce, so I added some a can of diced green chilis and some extra spices (chili powder and cumin).

They were a big hit!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8671453@N03/934462604/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8671453...n/photostream/

Thanks for the recipe,

Holly

#383 of 751 Old 07-29-2007, 03:49 PM

I'm just salivating thinking about tonight's dinner. We're having baked beans, salad and blueberries for dessert. I love when I feel in the mood to make up a batch of baked beans, but I don't love when it's super hot out when I decide this and go ahead anyways. The stove on for 5 hours may not be the brightest idea I've had today but the results will be worth it.
#384 of 751 Old 07-29-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole lisa View Post
I'm just salivating thinking about tonight's dinner. We're having baked beans, salad and blueberries for dessert. I love when I feel in the mood to make up a batch of baked beans, but I don't love when it's super hot out when I decide this and go ahead anyways. The stove on for 5 hours may not be the brightest idea I've had today but the results will be worth it.
yum...how do you make your own baked beans???
#385 of 751 Old 07-29-2007, 07:12 PM

It's beastly hot here. I'm planning to do little pita pizzas and have DH cook them on the BBQ. Also, I bought tons of fruit today, so there's dessert.

mimiharshe: There's a recipe that's good in the Moosewood cookbook. I'm trying the Maple Baked Beans recipe from Fresh from the Vegetarian Slowcooker later this week. Yummy.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#386 of 751 Old 07-29-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnockedUpButtercup View Post
I made your burritos for dinner and they were delicious. I didn't have any adobo sauce, so I added some a can of diced green chilis and some extra spices (chili powder and cumin).

They were a big hit!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8671453@N03/934462604/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8671453...n/photostream/

Thanks for the recipe,

Holly
Awesome! I'm so glad you liked them!

I haven't posted here in a while, because we've been having a lot of boring, cheap things. Tonight we are having yummy, roasted sweet potatoes, white potatoes, and onions and corn muffins. Simple but yum.

#387 of 751 Old 07-30-2007, 12:37 AM

subbing.....we've been in a funk lately and I need some new ideas!!!

Tonight it was: tomato, mozzarella and pesto panini,
sauted yellow squash
salad of romaine, pears, carrots and homeade dressing
#388 of 751 Old 07-30-2007, 01:21 AM

Tonight we had friends over who were helping us peel wallpaper and clean and destroy the house we just bought, so we ordered pizzas, veggie with no cheese for dp and me! mmmm!

red currants for desert..FANTASTIC...bright color and a lil sour mmmm

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#389 of 751 Old 07-30-2007, 11:23 AM

I tried this recipe for dinner last night, and it was quite yummy as well as easy to make!

Rice
Canned or cooked chickpeas
Onion
Garlic
Olives (your choice, I like kalamata)
Mushrooms
Curry
Salt and Pepper
Olive Oil
Braggs
Gomashio

With the rice cooking and your cooked chickpeas either cooking or ready at the side, throw onion, garlic and mushrooms into oiled pan and cook on medium high heat until onions are somewhat translucent. You can add a bit of braggs if you like. Turn heat down and add the olives and chickpeas along with curry, salt and pepper to taste and Braggs. Cook for around five minutes and serve over rice garnished with Gomashio.
#390 of 751 Old 07-30-2007, 03:53 PM

Last night for dinner we had burritos made from:
sprouted wheat tortillas
whole pinto beans
tomatillo salsa
sautee of zucchini, onions, turnips, and corn
just a drizzle of homemade (and vegan) 1000 island dressing

Tonight we are having:
zucchini stuffed with pesto beans and