A new "What's for dinner?" thread! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 751 Old 08-08-2007, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night we had toor dal with rice and a "mystery pie" made with zucchini. DH loved the "mystery pie"; it gave me the willies, though.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#422 of 751 Old 08-08-2007, 05:33 PM

What's toor dal?
#423 of 751 Old 08-08-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
What's toor dal?
It's a kind of lentil dish from India. Honestly, I don't know what all the different types of dals are--I'm just trying to replicate (or approximate) my favorite dal at our local Indian restaurant. There are so many--I suspect the different names have something to do with the region they come from.

As for making something like what my favorite Indian place makes, I haven't gotten there yet. I may see if they need some kitchen help, but they only seem to hire Indian men.

#424 of 751 Old 08-08-2007, 05:43 PM

Dal are pulses (legumes) in Indian and Pakistani cuisine. Toor dal are yellow lentil. However, dal can also refer to a thick, spicy stew prepared from the legumes. So, vegancupcake was probably talking about some sort of Indian Stew that she had.
#425 of 751 Old 08-08-2007, 05:43 PM

Ah, okay. We love dals, but I didn't know that one. I'll do some checking around. Thanks!
#426 of 751 Old 08-08-2007, 06:54 PM

Last night was Cumin-Lime Tofu over Catalan-style Chard, and Greek style summer squash. And salad. Soooooo good!

Tonight we're doing breakfast for dinner - biscuits, veggie sausage, and some salad on the side (not very breakfast-y, but we need to eat our veggies, right?)

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#427 of 751 Old 08-08-2007, 07:33 PM

Tonight I'm thinking rice and chick peas with veggies and Bragg's. I'll also do up some swiss chard and maybe a cucumber and onion salad. And fresh homemade applesauce for dessert.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#428 of 751 Old 08-08-2007, 08:38 PM

Vegetable Seitan Fajitas with black beans. The other half-pot of beans is going to become fried bean cakes tomorrow, unless I change my mind and make pizza.
#429 of 751 Old 08-08-2007, 08:42 PM

This all sounds so good and healthy! I just do not feel like cooking since preggo! What are your easiest healthy suggestions???
#430 of 751 Old 08-08-2007, 08:47 PM

We had arroz non-pollo from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker cookbook. Its one of my favorites!!!! I doctored it up a bit with a little "parmesan" made from nutritional yeast and sesame seeds and hot sauce. Plus fresh green beans.
#431 of 751 Old 08-08-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiharshe View Post
What are your easiest healthy suggestions???
These are for hot weather cooking, since I'm pregnant too and feeling the heat lately:

-beans in the slowcooker
-rice in the rice maker
-fresh fruit and veggies in abundance - chopped and slapped in a bowl (or combined with aforementioned rice and beans and a simple dressing...)
-I've done veggie sushi and miso soup weekly around here...both are really easy, especially since the sushi can be made ahead of time
-BBQed tofu - really yummy when marinated with veggies and skewered, or hit with BBQ sauce and served with grilled veg
-aforementioned grilled veg with couscous (and a little goat cheese if you do cheese) and aforementioned slowcooked beans - so yummy - I love couscous and bulgar wheat since they don't require stovetop cooking, only boiling water from kettle

HTH!

Ooh, I just thought of another - quick oatmeal topped with maple syrup, raisins, and walnuts. Served with wheat toast and peanut butter and sliced fresh fruit or berries on top. Yum!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#432 of 751 Old 08-08-2007, 10:34 PM

Baked Thai-Style Tofu with Cous-Cous Veggie Pilaf.

Even my super picky non-vegan DH liked the Tofu. The recipe was out of the book Simple Vegetarian Pleasures and it turned out so well!
#433 of 751 Old 08-09-2007, 12:13 AM

We ordered out cheese pizza topped with eggplant and a big greek salad. It was yummy. I am looking forward to tomorrow night's dinner more, though: Black bean burgers with pickles, red onion, lettuce, and ketchup, cole slaw and a big green salad with a viniagrette. The thread about veggie burgers has got me craving Morningstar Farms black bean burgers.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#434 of 751 Old 08-09-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Last night was Cumin-Lime Tofu over Catalan-style Chard, and Greek style summer squash. And salad. Soooooo good!
What goes in the chard?

Last night was White Bean Stroganoff over Rice with Lemon Garlic Kale. I'm going round 2 on it for breakfast right now.

love.gif

#435 of 751 Old 08-09-2007, 11:47 AM

Catalan chard is my FAVORITE. When I make it, I use Deborah Madison's recipe, which includes pine nuts and golden raisins.
#436 of 751 Old 08-09-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Catalan chard is my FAVORITE. When I make it, I use Deborah Madison's recipe, which includes pine nuts and golden raisins.
Yep, that's the one I used, too! Except I subbed pumpkin seeds for pine nuts (so DS could eat it - not doing nuts yet) and we used regular old raisins because that's what we had on hand. It was still really good!

#437 of 751 Old 08-09-2007, 05:07 PM

I've spent my entire day so far stripping diapers, and it seems to no avail.
DD1 has dance class in an hour, my diapers are still repelling, and I am in no mood for cooking dinner tonight :

DH is meeting us at dance class and we are eating at Q-doba (it's right next to DD's dance class). So, it'll probably be either a grilled vegetable burrito, or grilled vegetable taco salad for me tonight (it's 102 here with a heat index of 112, so I'll probably go for the salad). My girls will eat cheese quesadillas with tomatoes and guacamole, and it's anyone's guess what DH will eat, he's not such a good vegetarian when we eat out.
#438 of 751 Old 08-09-2007, 05:10 PM

Tonight, I'm having leftover vegi lo mein. I'm seeing my extended family this weekend and they never know what to do with me, so it'll be a lot of cheese with cheese on the side meals!
#439 of 751 Old 08-09-2007, 08:42 PM

Tonight is a mixed-bag meal. Dal from the freezer with naan and plum chutney, herb-roasted potatoes, and probably broccoli on the side. I have another cucumber, so maybe cucumber and onion salad too. We're using up odds and ends before the weekend comes. Dessert? No idea. There's one serving of applesauce left. And I baked zucchini muffins this morning, so they'll have to do I guess.

#440 of 751 Old 08-09-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post
The other half-pot of beans is going to become fried bean cakes tomorrow, unless I change my mind and make pizza.
Do yo use beans on your pizza? I make a great "Mexican Pizza" that includes refried (or just mashed) beans. People think I'm : but it's outstanding!
#441 of 751 Old 08-10-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Do yo use beans on your pizza? I make a great "Mexican Pizza" that includes refried (or just mashed) beans. People think I'm : but it's outstanding!
Yum. Would love that recipe, or at least more details, please!!:

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#442 of 751 Old 08-10-2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
That sounds so great! I want to try that. Do you think it needs cheese, or can it do without?

Tonight we went to a potluck work dinner--it was a bit hit and miss for me. I took a vegan potato salad (which I love). They had fried chicken there--not my favorite. Someone had brought a cucumber and tomato salad that was pretty tasty, too. But other than that, I was pretty hungry.

#443 of 751 Old 08-10-2007, 08:41 AM

There's not really a recipe, just a philosophy.

I make a crust and prebake it until it's firm and a little bit golden brown--pull it out and rub a halved clove of garlic on it. Spread your mashed or refried beans directly on the crust, then add salsa, cheese or sub or not, and whatever toppings you like on your nachos (well, not guac or sour cream, of course...). Bake it the rest of the way.

I like to use pepper jack and cheddar as my cheeses and whatever toppings appeal to me at the moment.

Sounds weird, tastes great!
#444 of 751 Old 08-10-2007, 09:53 AM

Last night - Crispy Baked Tofu over Summer Ratatouille and Roasted Marjoram Potatoes.

Tonight we're going to Buca for a family thang, so extreme amounts of garlic and a little pasta.

love.gif

#445 of 751 Old 08-10-2007, 10:39 AM

Last night we had raw nut pate roll ups (we use collard leaves as the tortillas) with a big salad and roasted patty pan squash.

Tonight it looks like grilled portobello mushrooms, roasted potato salads and left more nut pate roll ups.
#446 of 751 Old 08-14-2007, 01:33 AM

Homemade marinara from fresh organic tomatos from the farmer's market, greenbeans from my garden, salad, whole wheat rotelle, and roasted garlic bread.
#447 of 751 Old 08-14-2007, 08:31 AM

Last night it was a Moroccan style stew over couscous (aka, leftover vegetable round-up!) It contained pattypan squash, red and green peppers, onion, garlic, carrots and potatoes all from our CSA, and chickpeas, canned tomatoes, stock and some spices (cumin, cinnamon, curry, turmeric, paprika, s&p). Good stuff! And a great way to use up lots of veggies.

As for tonight, we've got to see what we get from the CSA share today!

#448 of 751 Old 08-14-2007, 09:10 AM

Last night I had a fried-egg sandwich, open faced, on whole grain with strawberry jam. Not the perfect meal, but it's been a hell of a week (with more to come) so I did the best I could!
#449 of 751 Old 08-14-2007, 09:28 AM

Tonight it's going to be sauteed kale with garlic and Bragg's and grilled portobello mushrooms and tomatoes. Oh, and a salad on the side.

Tomorrow my sister and her kids are visiting (first time we've seen each other in 8 years! We live on opposite sides of the country) and they're meat eaters so to satisfy the kids' tastes we'll be having veggie burgers (Sol Cuisine - they're vegan) and baked fries. I normally make bean burgers and avoid fake meats but I don't think her kids would accept them.

Still planning the rest of the meals to fir their tastes. When people come here I love taking them out to the best Sri Lankan place I know, but it sounds like they wouldn't be up for that.
#450 of 751 Old 08-14-2007, 06:07 PM

It's been a boring food week for us so far, we've been busy, with little time to actually prepare much.

Sunday we had veggie fajitas. We grilled veggies from the farmers market, rolled them up in tortillas with salsa, guacamole, and sour cream. Black beans seasoned with cumin on the side, and DH and I had frozen margaritas.

Yesterday I had a yoga class that started shortly after DH got home, so he and the kids had to eat quick. They had cheese and spinach quesadillas and strawberries. After my class I had eggs scrambled with salsa and cheese wrapped up in a whole wheat tortilla.

Tonight we are having pesto, tomato and mozzarella cheese panini, spaghetti squash tossed with parmesan cheese and a salad.

Tomorrow we are having a Thai vegetable curry.

Thursday we are having something to use up our perishables (we are leaving out of town for a long weekend) and also some cous cous and lentils.

The weekend will be anyone's guess, we are going to Syracuse for a wedding, so it'll be a lot of eating out for us.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page