Forum Jump: 

#481 of 751 Old 08-24-2007, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G&B'sMama View Post
Well, why don't you try ratatouille?
Also, maybe slice up a bunch of veggies, brush with olive oil and put them on the grill (or broil in the oven) and serve with grilled tofu and rice.
Yum! All really good ideas. I think we may try some grilling when we get home on Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
Blanch & freeze
Tee-hee! Of course, this is really what I should do. The thing is, none of these are really my favorite vegetables, and I find that my least favorite veggies tend to get freezer burn before I pull them out and use them. Better to use them up now and "get them over with," you know? But maybe I should just suck it up and do it anyway!

Last night DH was working so I just had a big old salad with leftover baked cumin-lime tofu and shallot dressing. And watermelon. And some banana bread. And maybe later some chocolate with hazelnuts.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#482 of 751 Old 08-24-2007, 08:42 PM

For dinner tonite I was not that hungry due to a huge lunch and afternoon snacking. I ate a almond butter, earth balance, bannana, honey, cinnamon sandwich on sprouted bread. Also a huge glass of org. milk and then a square of endangered species chocolate. I am going to drink my pregnancy tea now.....mmmmmmm

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

#483 of 751 Old 08-26-2007, 05:23 PM

Last night was the pasta version of the Broccoli Mushroom and Walnut Phyllo Pie from Vive le Vegan, with chopped tomatoes, sliced onions and basil tossed in balsamic vinegar on the side. The tomatoes at the market are out of this world right now. So huge and tasty.

Tonight we're having paprika cauliflower, hummus and pita, nut pate/collard roll ups, and a salad on the side.
#484 of 751 Old 08-26-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole lisa View Post
Last night was the pasta version of the Broccoli Mushroom and Walnut Phyllo Pie from Vive le Vegan, with chopped tomatoes, sliced onions and basil tossed in balsamic vinegar on the side. The tomatoes at the market are out of this world right now. So huge and tasty.

Tonight we're having paprika cauliflower, hummus and pita, nut pate/collard roll ups, and a salad on the side.
I just have to break my cheap self down and buy that book, already. I don't think there is one bad recipe in it.
#485 of 751 Old 08-26-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
I just have to break my cheap self down and buy that book, already. I don't think there is one bad recipe in it.
Yeah, I haven't made one thing from it that didn't work out and wasn't yummy.
#486 of 751 Old 08-26-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole lisa View Post
Yeah, I haven't made one thing from it that didn't work out and wasn't yummy.
So true. I am probably pissing a lot of library patrons off with my renewing.
#487 of 751 Old 08-27-2007, 12:40 AM

I tend to always bring the "weirdest" food to potlucks, even vegan ones, lol.

Today I made Lentils and Rice with Fried Onions (Mujadarrah). It was yummy, but what was I thinking? :

It's like the time when I brought hummus to a family potluck and NO ONE has ever heard of it! I am the weird one in the family...

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#488 of 751 Old 08-28-2007, 09:19 AM

I made eggplant parmigiana last night. It was fried and delicious, and I am looking forward to the leftovers.

We almost never fry anything, so it was really a treat!
#489 of 751 Old 08-28-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
It's like the time when I brought hummus to a family potluck and NO ONE has ever heard of it! I am the weird one in the family...
My family is that way too. I just don't get it. All my friends eat hummus. I make a batch usually once a week. I guess I didn't realize it was so exotic

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#490 of 751 Old 08-28-2007, 03:58 PM

Last night we did spiral pasta with sauteed peppers, onions and tofurky kielbasa with red sauce and a sautee of summer squash, fresh corn, peppers and dill.

Surprisingly, both DH and I were still hungry after huge plates of this. So we forced ourselves to make oatmeal cookies from the freezer.

#491 of 751 Old 08-28-2007, 03:59 PM

How's the tofurky kielbasa? When I was eating meat I LOVED kielbasa, and I think Boca does a great job with bratwurst...

I think tonight's going to be tomatoes that turtle grew, local fruit and grilled cream cheese and pesto on health nut bread.
#492 of 751 Old 08-28-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
How's the tofurky kielbasa? When I was eating meat I LOVED kielbasa, and I think Boca does a great job with bratwurst...
I like it, but then I'm kind of a sucker for most fake meat products. As long as it's salty enough, anyway. It's been sooooo long since I've had the real thing that I don't really know how it compares. We can't eat a lot of Boca products because DH has a weird allergy to caramel color, which is in sooooo many things it needn't be.

Quote:
I think tonight's going to be tomatoes that turtle grew, local fruit and grilled cream cheese and pesto on health nut bread.
OMG tell me more about this grilled cream cheese thing...

#493 of 751 Old 08-28-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
OMG tell me more about this grilled cream cheese thing...
Not much to tell--it's exactly what it sounds like! Spread cream cheese (or cheeze...) on one side and pesto on the other, and grill it like you would a grilled cheese. It's one of my go-to midsummer things.

It's particularly good on a fairly hefty whole grain bread (my fave for this sandwich is Ed's Bread Multigrain, but I never buy it anymore because Whole Foods is a PITA).
#494 of 751 Old 08-28-2007, 11:27 PM

Tonight we had tofu "egg" salad sandwiches (from The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes cookbook) and a this summer potato salad - both were sooo good! Definitely keeper recipes.

#495 of 751 Old 08-29-2007, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Not much to tell--it's exactly what it sounds like! Spread cream cheese (or cheeze...) on one side and pesto on the other, and grill it like you would a grilled cheese. It's one of my go-to midsummer things.

It's particularly good on a fairly hefty whole grain bread (my fave for this sandwich is Ed's Bread Multigrain, but I never buy it anymore because Whole Foods is a PITA).
YUM!!!

I so want to try this!

#496 of 751 Old 08-29-2007, 10:07 PM

Hi all! New here, but I already love this thread! I'm a fairly new vegetarian, married to an omni who's given in to veggi-ism at home and stepmom to two omni kids. Tonight for dinner it was quesadillas made with whole wheat tortillas, black beans, brown rice, lowfat cheddar, and home-made green chili salsa and guacamole. I love experimenting with things I normally wouldn't have as a meat eater. I've already gotten some great ideas from this thread!
#497 of 751 Old 08-29-2007, 10:51 PM

We're leaving for a two week vacation on Saturday, so it's time to start using up what's still hanging out in the fridge. Tonight we had a one-pot veggie and cous-cous meal. It was garlic, ginger root, onion, potatoes, zucchini and eggplant sauted up with some cumin seed, coriander, tumeric and allspice. Threw in a can of garbanzos I had in the pantry, a cup of veg broth, 1/2 cup cous-cous, cover, remove from heat and let set for 5 min to cook the cous-cous. Fluff with a fork and garnish with LOTS of chopped cilantro and a little plain yogurt. We also had some naan from the freezer so we could use up some mango chutney that was about to go.

Tomorrow is going to be a lentil soup in the crockpot to use up the rest of the veggies we have around, and Friday will be a combination of all of our perishables (read I'm not cooking anything, eat it raw and use everything that's going to go before we get back). We'll have used up most of our veg so it's going to be a meal heavy on the dairy!!!!

I'm gonna miss this thread while we are gone, 2 weeks will be so much to catch up on. Don't eat anything too yummy while I'm gone . We are leaving the country and I won't have any internet access...........I'm gonna have MDC withdrawl.

LizzyQ - keep up the blog while I'm gone with any yummy things you come up with. I've been missing your entries lately......been busy with other things???
#498 of 751 Old 08-29-2007, 10:58 PM

Have a good trip!

Tonight was a thai red curry, with zucchini, lima beans, tomatoes, scallions, red pepper from teh farmers market and some tofu and coconut milk. I made white jasmine rice in our rice steamer, which is a new purchase I made under duress and have to admit, it does work better than the pot I was using...
#499 of 751 Old 08-30-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopinknoblue View Post

LizzyQ - keep up the blog while I'm gone with any yummy things you come up with. I've been missing your entries lately......been busy with other things???
Yeah, DH has been working into the wee hours of night and I don't like cooking for just myself. Now I am staying at my MIL's house, so if I cook something for her I'll be sure to post it.

THanks! I didn't even know people were reading it! :

#500 of 751 Old 08-30-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:

I check it everyday, I've even added it to my favorites list. I enjoy seeing what you've cooked, and reading your descriptions to go along with it. Even though we don't know one another, it somehow seems more personal than some other food blogs I've been reading.
#501 of 751 Old 08-31-2007, 11:50 PM

Vegan "chicken" fajitas! They were so good.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#502 of 751 Old 09-01-2007, 07:41 PM

Last night was Oven roasted tofu with veggies and Lazanki
I swear, ds is upset today because there wasn't much tofu leftover. It's definitely a family favorite.

Tonight is Fragrant Spicy Rice with sprouted lentils. We had it once, and iirc, we liked it.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#503 of 751 Old 09-01-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I'd never noticed it before, but I'm glad I checked it out! I am definitely trying the Penne w/cheese, mushrooms and broccoli! It looks so yummy and healthy! (and frugal)

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#504 of 751 Old 09-02-2007, 12:46 AM

Tonight was broccoli soup (at the farmer's market right now broccoli are 3 for a buck) and salad.

Tomorrow night looks like soup again and veg sandwiches. I'm also going to spend some time tomorrow veganizing an old fave recipe of DS': Jamaican patties. I'm thinking in place of ground beef using lentils. DS has said he doesn't want me switching the recipe to potatoes and peas.
#505 of 751 Old 09-02-2007, 09:44 PM

How was that roasted tofu? I think that's what we'll have tomorrrow!

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#506 of 751 Old 09-02-2007, 09:49 PM

Tonight we had the tofu enchiladas from Cathe's cookbook. And the bean dip as well, with tortilla chips. Everyone was really quiet during dinner, which is a good sign. We also had a really basic salad with our farm box ingredients, and a chocolate cake for dessert. Yum!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#507 of 751 Old 09-03-2007, 12:30 PM

I made pasta e fagioli last night for the first time ever. I was really unhappy with how bland it looked. The beans, pasta, and sauce were all pretty much the same color. Any ideas for brightening it up a bit? Maybe broccoli added in or fresh herbs?

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#508 of 751 Old 09-03-2007, 12:35 PM

last night i made a really yummy quinoi (spelling?@?@) chowder w/ spinach and feta. It was very good! With big crusty bread on the side
#509 of 751 Old 09-03-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyLizards View Post
I made pasta e fagioli last night for the first time ever. I was really unhappy with how bland it looked. The beans, pasta, and sauce were all pretty much the same color. Any ideas for brightening it up a bit? Maybe broccoli added in or fresh herbs?
I use white beans or chickpeas, thought I know many use kidney beans. I also use zuch & carrots in mine. It adds nice color & flavor.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#510 of 751 Old 09-03-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva33mommy View Post
Last night was Oven roasted tofu with veggies and Lazanki
I swear, ds is upset today because there wasn't much tofu leftover. It's definitely a family favorite.

Tonight is Fragrant Spicy Rice with sprouted lentils. We had it once, and iirc, we liked it.
That Roasted Tofu looks yummy! I think I'll make that tonight.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page