Daily bread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2007, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering if anyone makes their bread every day fresh (without a bread machine)? If so, what is your favorite & could you include a recipe?

Do you have a favorite vegan bread recipe (& could you include a recipe)?

How early in the a.m. do you start your bread to have it ready for which meal? I'm seriously considering making it more of a daily habit, but I don't know if it's possible with such a busy schedule. I would love to have more insight from those who do this (& maybe it'll give me inspiration/motivation )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2007, 11:46 PM

I don't have a vegan recipe that I use regularly, but I do make all of our breads (sandwich loaves, pitas, tortillas, burger/dog buns, etc.) from scratch. I find that I don't have to bake everyday, and with a recent recipe I've found the loaf works well for a few days.

One thing that helps is making multiple loaves at the same time and freezing any extra, then you just have to take a loaf out in the morning to use that day for lunch! I'm guessing that type of efficiency is one of the many reasons most bread recipes turn out 2 loaves or more at a time.

Most loaves I make take about 3-4 hours from start to finish, it all depends what type of bread you're making. So if you wanted a lunch bread you'd want to start by 8am at least because it's best to let your loaf set at least 30 minutes before cutting into it.

Feel free to pm or ask if you want any non-vegan recipes....most of my favourite at least use milk....maybe soy milk would work? I dunno, haven't tried. I should, that's about all my son will drink so we always have several cartons!

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
Old 05-22-2007, 11:59 PM

I don't have a recipe for you, but I do have one thought: It ought to work to knead and rise multiple loaves (I do four at a time, but I bake all four at once too), then shape and freeze whatever you don't want to bake that same day. Then it will rise very slowly as it defrosts. You might want to defrost it the night before, until you get a handle on how long your loaves will take to defrost and slowly rise - I expect it would take a good number of hours.

Or defrost, then shape and rise.

That will make daily-baked bread fit into a busy schedule.

Laurel's Bread Book has a soymilk-based bread. I've seen recipes that don't call for much fat (animal or other), but they stale more quickly than some with higher fat to them.

Aven
Old 05-23-2007, 12:04 AM

If you're going to freeze unbaked loaves you could put them in the fridge ahead of time and once they're thawed, put them in the oven to rise with a pan of boiling water on the rack below them you'll get a good half hour or so rise then you can bake them.

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :

User Tag List