Finger Foods for 1 year old -- a "what's for lunch" thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 06-22-2007, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my little guy is 1. He’s vegetarian … i.e. dairy and egg, no flesh, no stock.

Right now he will only eat if he feeds himself -- which means finger foods.

(He is really trying to learn the spoon -- he sort of has it now -- he puts the spoon to the food and then into his mouth, except he always turns the spoon upside down when he puts it into the food, so ... he ends up with nothing on it.) Anyway…

I am looking for ideas for nutrient dense finger foods (really, really small bites) -- i.e. "mini-meals". In particular, I am looking for ideas on making combos ... i.e. beans and veggies. I also need ideas for getting him greens – keeping in mind he can’t chew them and he won’t eat purees now..

Here are some of the things he already eats:
  • various types of veggie burgers (including the Meowee)
  • Ezeikel bread with
  • hummus

• cream cheese
  • butter and nutritional yeast
  • whole beans (actually I cut them in half) -- he eats all types black, chick, etc.
  • cottage cheese -- really, really messy
  • tofu -- he loves silken tofu (I just found this out, I was at a great vegan Chinese rest -- they have miso soup in the buffet -- well yesterday, I practically emptied the pot of all its tofu -- he was eating it a mile a minute)
  • lots of fresh fruit -- peaches, melons, etc.
  • broccoli
  • carrots
  • van’s waffles

I would be greatful for any and all suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 06-22-2007, 08:50 PM

My 2 yr old nephew (whom I care for) likes hardboiled, scrambled & 'fried' eggs (we have our own organic, free range hens), bean burritos cut into small pieces, greek yogurt, small chunks of raw cheese, cubed avocado, steamed, baked or grilled veggies, especially sweet potato, carrots (which is also likes raw and cut into sticks) peas, snow peas (our young peas that he picks 'too soon'--he likes these raw as well, especially after he picks them,) broc etc. He also loves cherry tomatoes cut in half, and cucumbers that I cut in forths for him. I sprinkled them with a bit of salt, pepper and a small amount of olive oil. He loves it. He likes thicks soups as well, especially corn chowder. He likes to eat garbanzo beans with his hands, as well as pinto and black beans. Sometimes I toss them in with the cucs and tomatoes. He seems to like things that are flavored with a little olive oil. He eats mostly what my kids eat, so that makes it easier for me. I just cut things up smaller for him.

He also like toasted bread or whole wheat bagel bits, and Annie's mac & cheese. He's very easy to feed, and has never wanted to be fed. He's been feeding himself these things (in various sizes) for a bit now, since about 14 mos? He's bf, but he loves to eat. We have allergies in my family, so my sister was trying to EBF for as long as possible, but he was one of those reachy kids.
#3 of 19 Old 07-04-2007, 04:02 AM

Bumping!

I am also looking for some inspiration for my 13 mo old self-feeder!
#4 of 19 Old 07-05-2007, 02:07 AM

Lots of the above, plus:

sweet potato oven fries
roasted potatoes
breadsticks
pasta
steamed broccoli
#5 of 19 Old 07-05-2007, 02:12 PM

Not a finger food, but to help get greens in his diet...how about some smoothies?
#6 of 19 Old 07-05-2007, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

We're not at smoothie stage yet ... he's just starting to take some water from a sippy cup. But thanks for the thought!
#7 of 19 Old 12-29-2007, 02:15 AM

late bump for more ideas!

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#8 of 19 Old 12-29-2007, 02:24 AM

dd2 is 15 months. we'll roast some veggies in the oven & she'll devour them as fast as we put them out. parsnips, rutabegas, brussel sprouts, sweet potato, beets, all those, just toss with some olive oil & sea salt & pepper & you have perfect finger food. we do put spinach, kale etc into egg scrambles for her & she has no problem eating her greens that way. she loves lentils (green or brown) so we usually try to have a little thing of lentils & rice curry ready for her to snack on. edamame is a good one. pan fried tofu. veggie stuffed grape leaves are a great finger food too.

she still has no molars, so we have to be careful with some of the raw stuff, but i hope this gives some good ideas!
#9 of 19 Old 12-30-2007, 11:00 AM

Extra firm cubed tofu (right out of the package) is great for littles.
#10 of 19 Old 12-30-2007, 03:27 PM

My kids are older but can I play too!! I end a "What's for lunch thread". LOL

PB&J are big around here. Some other options are:

Cheese Quesadillas (the kids eat these, they would kill me!!

Hummus and chips

tortilla rollups (tofutti cream cheese, avocado, tomato, sprouts, nuts, or the like)

crackers and tofutti cream cheese

yogurt with fruit and nuts (it is nice a thick so it might help those little ones with using the spoon)

mini bagel pizzas (the boys use uncured pepperoni and cheese on theirs. I usually use roasted red peppers and tofuti cream cheese)

hard boiled eggs (I usually boil a dozen at the beginning of the week and we eat them all week)

leftover mini pancakes (we never eat these for breakfast, I'm actually not sure my children are aware these are considered breakfast food )

Pasta (the kids like it with Earth Balance and parm cheese. You could use wagon wheels or something like that to make it more finger friendly)
#11 of 19 Old 12-30-2007, 03:54 PM

Hummus is one of my 3 year old's favorite thing to eat in the world. He also likes to snack on chick peas just plain.

Other favorites for my boys... pasta w/ Earth Balance and nutritional yeast, rice and beans, veggie loaf cut up into pieces, mashed potatoes, bagels with Earth Balance or Tofutti cream cheese, sesame butter and jelly sandwiches, cut up carrots and broccoli ("trees"), waffles, little mini pancakes, fried tofu triangles with peanut sauce.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#12 of 19 Old 12-30-2007, 04:11 PM

: This is just what I needed. Some of these may be good for my picky 4 yo too, I hope I hope

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#13 of 19 Old 04-30-2008, 06:51 PM

These are all really good suggestions. I'll have to try some of these because right now my 13 month old will only eat cheerios and just plays with everything else I put on her plate.
#14 of 19 Old 04-30-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoloveshiscats View Post
I also need ideas for getting him greens – keeping in mind he can’t chew them and he won’t eat purees now..
Does he just not have enough teeth? Or is is one to swallow without chewing much?

some green ideas: Blanched spinach, chopped kale added to sauces, greens added to smoothies/pancakes/muffins, green mashed potatoes, tofu quiche with green veggies, hummus w/greens, soups, homemade veggie burgers.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#15 of 19 Old 04-30-2008, 07:19 PM

My daughter's favorite food is avocado. Mostly I just give her pieces of whatever we eat unless it's too messy.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#16 of 19 Old 04-30-2008, 08:00 PM

my 2 1/2 yo loves avacodo as well, she also loves cheese, she will eat crackers but not bread, which I really don't understand, and she hasn't met a cereal she doesn't like, but oatmeal is her favorite, for the learning stage we did alot more oatmeal scones and muffins, same nutrition as a bowl of oatmeal with less mess.

cut up mango is another big favorite
#17 of 19 Old 05-01-2008, 01:31 PM

avacado and spinach hummus: 1 can garbanzo beans, 1 clove garlic, juice of one lemon, frozen spinach, 1 avacado - YUM!

I add chopped spinach to mashed potatoes/sweet potatoes and roll them into balls so that Joe can feed them to himself. Makes for nasty mommy hands, but joe eats them right up! (nic - my pickier 3 year old - prefers not to have green specks in his mashed potatoes, but... joe doesn't care!)

#18 of 19 Old 05-01-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christamom View Post
These are all really good suggestions. I'll have to try some of these because right now my 13 month old will only eat cheerios and just plays with everything else I put on her plate.
DS2 is 19 mo & just in the last week has really started eating much.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#19 of 19 Old 05-01-2008, 07:04 PM

My daughter loves black beans, garbanzo beans, tangerines, roasted sweet potatoes, cherry tomatoes, strawberries. Her newest fave. thing to munch on is granola.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page