Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hot diggity sprouted-grain dog!

Welcome to July, mamas!

#2 of 73 Old 07-01-2007, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ok, so in the june thread Green for Life was just mentioned and i have a funny tidbit to share with you all about it...
last night i was channel surfing and stopped on The Girls Next Door which is about Hugh Hefners girlfriends that live at the Playboy Mansion (just a little backround for those of you who don't have cable/TV). anyway, they were talking about this exercise video they were going to be doing and how the producers and trainers wanted them do not only workout pretty much daily for the month prior, but they wanted them to totally change their diet and lifestyle habits. well, they then cut to a shot of one of the girls reading... Green for Life! i about fell off the couch.
so then she started talking about green smoothies and orders one from the kitchen. it was pretty funny actually, as she commented about how they're based on a chimps dietary habits and how she likes that idea (because she has pet monkeys ). so yeah... green smoothies hitting the mainstream.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#3 of 73 Old 07-01-2007, 05:28 PM

clovergirl... amazing! I probably would have fallen right off my couch as well! I just love my green smoothies and how they take away just about all cravings! When I first when raw (about 10 months ago) I ALWAYS had to have something sweet in my apartment (major sweet tooth) so I make lots of banana ice cream, nut cookies or pies, now, I can't remember the last time I made any dessert. I'm not depriving myself at all, I just don't need/want any. My green smoothies are just too yummy and depending on your greens/fruit mix they are a sure treat!
#4 of 73 Old 07-01-2007, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Clovergirl, that is very interesting. And it wouldn't be the first time I'd be struck odd by the variations of intentions behind interest in raw living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatullah View Post
My green smoothies are just too yummy and depending on your greens/fruit mix they are a sure treat!

Amatullah ~ care to share your recipes? :
#5 of 73 Old 07-02-2007, 01:37 AM

Thanks for the responses to my question about "cold" food. Maybe I won't miss the heat so much after all once I'm used to it.

New question: I don't want to switch my toddler to completely raw but I'd like to introduce more elements. She loves fruit and would live on it so winning her over isn't a problem. My difficulty is that she's very underweight (no diagnosed disorders, just extremely small) and both her pediatrician and endocrinologist have ordered a high-fat diet. I'm supposed to add butter/mayo/cream etc. to everything she eats. Of course I can use olive oil too, but she's not keen on nut butters or avocado. Does anyone have any other suggestions on high-fat raw food that's toddler friendly?

Thanks.
#6 of 73 Old 07-02-2007, 01:53 AM

Coconuts... coconut milk, water, coconut milk, coconut oil... does she like sunflower seeds? One of my favorite things is sunflower seed milk and sunflower seed milk shakes... I'd sprinkle ground sunflower seeds over everything I ate when I was trying to gain weight and it has a great, mild taste and goes with everything, sweet things, salads, etc.

It's great to see this post here... I really want to get back to a mostly raw diet, but my family is worried about my weight and they don't understand that I don't need to eat junkfood to gain weight. I'm waiting for my man to get on this side of the country so I can finish this pregnancy like I want and have him prepare amazing raw foods for me... I'd love a green drink right now!
#7 of 73 Old 07-02-2007, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superperce View Post
My difficulty is that she's very underweight (no diagnosed disorders, just extremely small) and both her pediatrician and endocrinologist have ordered a high-fat diet. I'm supposed to add butter/mayo/cream etc. to everything she eats.
Oh yes...I had one of these little ones, too. I was pretty much scared into doing what the doctor said, which was exactly what yours has told you). I added the butter, avocado etc, and you know what? It didn't help at all. He never added on any weight other than exactly following the lightweight curve that he was always on. I hadn't even heard of raw yet at that point, but I totally regret having added so many fats. He's still thin but it's clearly normal for him.

Another interesting fact is that he gained the most on months where he ate like a bird! (Little ones are weighed monthly in Switzerland by our village/town "Säuglingsschwester" or nurse for sucklings....haha bad translation!). The months where I tried to fatten him up with fats he would *barely* gain anything at all. So much for that theory.....

You might try coconut and maybe mashing avocado up with banana as it masks the flavor...but also try to relax if you don't see it *working*.

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#8 of 73 Old 07-02-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by May May View Post

Amatullah ~ care to share your recipes? :
My favorite recipe is:
2 cups coconut water (1 young coconut usually only gives me 1-1.5 cups so I use .5 cup of regular filtered water
2-3 T cacao
1/2 T maca
2 ripe bananas
1/2 bag organic frozen raspberries
2 t chia seeds (use flax is you can't find chia)
2 t hemp seeds
3 handfuls of greens (if using kale I use about 3 large leaves)

The mixture of the raspberries and the cacao is just so good! I change this recipe around alot.

Here are my staples for every smoothie:

2 cups liquid (I use water or coconut water)
2 ripe bananas
1/2 bag frozen organic fruit (cherries, raspberries, blueberries, mango, peaches etc...)
3 nice handfuls of greens (baby spinach, mixed green salad, kale etc - I don't like bitter greens so I stick with the mild ones. I do like to get green salad mixes though because they usually have some bitter greens in them, I can take them a little at a time!)

There are all sorts of superfoods, green foods etc that you can add to your smoothie to mix it up.

Rule of thumb... if the green smoothie tastes too green for you... add more fruit or use only 2 handfuls of greens until your tastes change. It takes some time to get used to all the greens and you won't be consistent in drinking them if you don't enjoy them so add more fruit - less greens or even some agave or honey if you use it...
#9 of 73 Old 07-02-2007, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my goodness, Amatullah, those are rawesome! Thank you so much for sharing them.

Quote:
Rule of thumb... if the green smoothie tastes too green for you... add more fruit or use only 2 handfuls of greens until your tastes change. It takes some time to get used to all the greens and you won't be consistent in drinking them if you don't enjoy them so add more fruit - less greens or even some agave or honey if you use it...

Personally, I am into being really simple with my green smoothies. I actually have no aversion to their green taste after years of straight greens juicing/drinking (including lotsa wheatgrass!) and neither does one of my children but the other one is veeery sensitive and turned off by the green smoothies. . . so I'm thrilled to see these fancy concoctions! His issue is more about the look (of the smoothie) than the taste, however, so it's the color we're working on LOL.

Where do ya'll get your maca?
#10 of 73 Old 07-02-2007, 05:34 PM

For the color try any red or blue berries. They usually turn my smoothies the color of the berry unless I add cacao... then it's an appetizing shade of brown LOL. My husband calls it sludge *sigh -- MEN*

As for the maca, I get both my maca and cacao oh... and my hemp seeds and hemp oil from Amazon.com. They have free shipping (can't beat that!)
#11 of 73 Old 07-02-2007, 05:34 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for that yummy green smoothie recipe! I love cacao and maca. I think you can order maca from www.alissacohen.com or perhaps natural zing... We have a couple raw restaurants here in my town so I buy most of my supplies there.

I made these yummy truffles the other day and wanted to share:
1/2 cup tahini 1/4 cup carob or cacao agave to taste...stir up, form into balls, roll them in coconut or nibs or whatever sounds good if you want to, it isn't necessary, then put in fridge or freezer for a bit. Yum!!! This recipe makes about 8 truffles, so double if you want more! They taste almost like chocolate peanut butter balls.

Have a great day! Mary

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
#12 of 73 Old 07-02-2007, 06:50 PM

Subbing for ideas...we're not completely raw, but we do enjoy the recipes we've tried. Many have become staple snacks!
#13 of 73 Old 07-02-2007, 07:41 PM

Hi all. I am going to hang around raw foods for a while. I have food allergies (dairy, eggs, gluten, and do poorly on grains in general). Well, I was missing all my allergy foods, I can't stand the smell of cooking food (I am 8 weeks preg), and my oven is having problems..then I had an ephipahny...Why don't I just do raw food?! I thought about going 80%ish raw and seeing how I feel.

I went shopping today and took my old Raw Foods Made Easy for 1 or 2 People from my veg days and got some great stuff. I made zuccini hummus and put in in a lettuce sandwich. I am soaking nuts for raw granola. I am also making raw apple pie and cashew ice cream. I forgot how good this food is!

I can't believe I did not think of this a long time ago: If I have to go to all this effort to make special food anyway I might as well do raw! Plus, I have an excalibur now so I can make some special goodies!

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#14 of 73 Old 07-03-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
I went shopping today and took my old Raw Foods Made Easy for 1 or 2 People from my veg days

Jen
Jen... I used to make the BEST pie from that book... I think I'll have to make it again soon. I made the Coconut Crust (page 145) and for the filling I made Blueberry Pie or Tart (page 154) I subbed the coconut crust for the almond just because I really love coconut. For the pie filling I used one bag of frozen blueberries and 1 bag frozen mixed berries (10 oz bags Cascading Farms organic). I blended the whole bag of mixed berries where it says to add 1 1/2 cups (second paragraph) and added the bag of blueberries whole to the pie filling. Even my husband who doesn't like any of my raw food just LOVED this pie and would ask me to make it. I found letting it sit in the fridge over night was best, gave the blueberries time to congeal. I can also recommend the spaghetti and meatball recipe in that book and the rice pilaf. I don't make many "recipes" any more but I used to love those!
#15 of 73 Old 07-03-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superperce View Post
Thanks for the responses to my question about "cold" food. Maybe I won't miss the heat so much after all once I'm used to it.

New question: I don't want to switch my toddler to completely raw but I'd like to introduce more elements. She loves fruit and would live on it so winning her over isn't a problem. My difficulty is that she's very underweight (no diagnosed disorders, just extremely small) and both her pediatrician and endocrinologist have ordered a high-fat diet. I'm supposed to add butter/mayo/cream etc. to everything she eats. Of course I can use olive oil too, but she's not keen on nut butters or avocado. Does anyone have any other suggestions on high-fat raw food that's toddler friendly?

Thanks.
there are some great recipes for "desserts" that include nut butters and avocado that are so yummy your DD may not even care that they're in there! my DD #2 won't touch straight almond butter with a 10ft poll, but i can't keep her away from the fudge balls i make with it. and there are chocolate pudding recipes out there that use avocados as the base, i've heard you can't even taste the avocado. and don't forget adding stuff like coconut meat and/or oil to smoothies. yum yum.
that said, like another poster alluded to, even if you add a bunch of fat to her diet it may not make a difference. i'd just focus on high quality whole foods and let your DD lead the way.

#16 of 73 Old 07-03-2007, 10:11 PM

oh, i forgot to say to everyone...
has anyone else made the donut hole recipe by ani phyo? i just got finished making them and they are delicious! i modified her recipe a bit by soaking the dates and pineapple first because i was using dried dates and the only dried pinapple i could find was in rings- and they were too hard to chop. then i pulsed them in the food processor until they were a chunky paste.

the recipe is posted on her website http://www.aniphyo.com/ you just have to scroll down a bit for it, there's also a link to the video directions. does anyone have her book? all of the stuff she has posted on the site looks so good and so simple.

#17 of 73 Old 07-04-2007, 12:07 AM

Clovergirl-Wow. Ani's recipes do look simple and yummy.

Amatullah-Thanks for sgaring your favorites from the book!

I just ate my first bowl of cashew chocolate ice cream. YUMMMMMM!!! Where has this been my whole life! Dh was amazed how much it tasted like dairy ice cream. Easy too. I also served crudities with zuccini hummus and that was a big with dh and ds.

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#18 of 73 Old 07-04-2007, 08:36 AM

Do you guys use red or yellow bananas?

Do you find it difficult to digest foods that have a mix of fruit and veg?

I don't have a problem with the green taste, but I remember early in my pregnancy, my favorite superfood odwalla, which had a mix of fruit and veg made me really sick and I stopped eating things that mixed fruit and veg and felt better.

I've also heard the red bananas have a much lower glycemic index(or whatever) than the yellow, which I can't eat without going into practically a glycemic coma... but when I got the red, they were just so odd to me, and I didn't know when they were ripe so I never actually tried them.

Anythings you live on or cut out while you're pregnant? Maca or cacao or anything else? I've been craving cacao lately, but I'm not in a place where I can get any right now.
#19 of 73 Old 07-04-2007, 10:06 AM

Anyone care to post the cashew ice cream recipe? :
#20 of 73 Old 07-04-2007, 12:20 PM

I have Ani Phyo's book and really really like it. I love the sunflower bread, make it once a week it seems. Her sunburgers are yummy and so simple/easy to make. I'm thinking about making her coconut kream pie today, we'll see though. So glad to hear about those donut holes...mmmm. Hubby so wants me to make those soon! Her mylk section has some yummy recipes too. I recommend the book if you're interested.

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
#21 of 73 Old 07-04-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
For the color try any red or blue berries. They usually turn my smoothies the color of the berry unless I add cacao... then it's an appetizing shade of brown LOL. My husband calls it sludge *sigh -- MEN*
We make mango smoothies with baby spinach and ds calls them Swamp Smoothies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovergirl View Post
oh, i forgot to say to everyone...
has anyone else made the donut hole recipe by ani phyo? i just got finished making them and they are delicious! i modified her recipe a bit by soaking the dates and pineapple first because i was using dried dates and the only dried pinapple i could find was in rings- and they were too hard to chop. then i pulsed them in the food processor until they were a chunky paste.

the recipe is posted on her website http://www.aniphyo.com/ you just have to scroll down a bit for it, there's also a link to the video directions. does anyone have her book? all of the stuff she has posted on the site looks so good and so simple.
Wow! What a great site -- ds wants to make the donut holes! Great videos too!
#22 of 73 Old 07-04-2007, 02:00 PM

oh man, my girls are addicted to the donut holes! there's only a few left, i think they've each had 4 or 5 so far today.

#23 of 73 Old 07-05-2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess View Post
Anyone care to post the cashew ice cream recipe? :
Here is the thread on raw food talk: http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26719

I have morning sickness and ate a little for breakfast too I was thinking I could make raw apple pie with the vanilla cashew ice cream...a treat I have not had with my gluten/dairy allergies in a long time.

Jen

#24 of 73 Old 07-05-2007, 10:59 AM

Hi Gang,

Anyone have nice recipes for salad dressings that don't have such a vinegrette base? My poor tongue is fried! I'd love some creamy ones and have tryed ava based ones as well..but you guys usually have some killer resources! So I thought I'd ask!

Thanks!
Nicole
#25 of 73 Old 07-05-2007, 12:06 PM

I like tahini dressing!

1/2 cup tahini
3/4 cup water
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup lemon juice OR 3T raw apple cider vinegar
1-2T mustard
2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Just blend everything in the food processor. The last 3 ingredients aren't totally raw, but I bet you could just use like 1/4 of an onion and 1 clove of garlic and get a similar result (maybe use less water if you do that). Not sure about the mustard.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#26 of 73 Old 07-05-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn View Post
I like tahini dressing!

1/2 cup tahini
3/4 cup water
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup lemon juice OR 3T raw apple cider vinegar
1-2T mustard
2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Just blend everything in the food processor. The last 3 ingredients aren't totally raw, but I bet you could just use like 1/4 of an onion and 1 clove of garlic and get a similar result (maybe use less water if you do that). Not sure about the mustard.

Hummm..I never put mustard in mine, which I love! I'll try that! Is mustard considered "raw"? I love the dark deli mustards! Esp. boars head! YUM!!!!!!! I just ordered Ani's book! I'm picking up after work at Barnes! I'm excited!
#27 of 73 Old 07-05-2007, 12:46 PM

update on the donut holes: they're gone. didn't even last 24hrs.

squirrelletta, let me know what you think of ani's book! about the mustard... personally i would just use store bought (cause i'm lazy and not 100% raw). but you can buy mustard seeds and make your own mustard. it's pretty simple actually.

cashew dill dressing is very yummy and not too tangy. it's simple, just blend in a processor or blender-
1c soaked cashews
1 bunch fresh dill
1/2c water (add more to thin to your liking)
1tsp herbamare (or sea salt)
1-2T apple cider vinegar
those amounts make a lot of dressing, you could easily half it. i love this dressing on top of mixed baby greens, cucumber, avocado, and carrots.

i'm going to try a green smoothie made with chard for the first time this afternoon... wish me luck!

#28 of 73 Old 07-05-2007, 04:41 PM

oopppssssss...

double post
#29 of 73 Old 07-05-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelletta View Post
Hi Gang,

Anyone have nice recipes for salad dressings that don't have such a vinegrette base? My poor tongue is fried! I'd love some creamy ones and have tryed ava based ones as well..but you guys usually have some killer resources! So I thought I'd ask!

Thanks!
Nicole
I just LOVE this recipe (never made the parmesan... just the dressing). It is my personal favorite. It's from Woody Harrelson's site:

Caesar Salad Dressing- makes 1 pint of thick dressing that will keep fresh for a week.

5 tablespoons raw tahini
1/4 cup pinenuts
2 tablespoons tamarind paste (you can find this in Asian or Spanish markets)
1 nice clove garlic
2 green onions, or 1/4 cup sweet onion
1 lemon, juiced
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons maple syrup or 3 soft dates, pitted
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1-2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
1-2 teaspoons sea salt or to taste
2 tablespoons good olive oil (optional)
fresh water, 2 tablespoons at a time as necessary to blend

Caesar salad dressing - In a blender or Vita Mix:Blend tahini, pinenuts, tamarind, garlic, green onion or minced onion, lemon juice, vinegar, maple
syrup or dates, nutritional yeast, black pepper and sea salt, adding oil and fresh water, 2 tablespoons at a time as necessary to blend until very smooth.
Season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Separate Romaine lettuce leaves and break into pieces. Dollop dressing on, a few tablespoons at a time, and toss with lettuce until well coated, but not drenched. Serve and sprinkle with ‘Pinenut Parmesan’

Pinenut parmesan:
1/4 cup pinenuts
1/4 cup whole cashews or macadamia nuts
1teaspoon good oil or fresh water
2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
pinch dried garlic granules or powder
pinch Celtic or sea salt

Parmesan: In a food processor or blender: Chop pinenuts and cashews into a fine meal. Drizzle in a touch of oil or water. Chop in pulses until moist and ground. Add nutritional yeast, dried garlic and salt and chop in pulses until crumbly.
#30 of 73 Old 07-05-2007, 11:18 PM

I read this awesome 'blog' today... I recently did a breastfeeding peer counseling program and it really drove me back towards the raw food diet too, so it's really cool to read something written out so eloquently about the connections.

http://eat.rawfood.com/_landing/view.php

I hope that works.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page