A Balanced Vegan Diet - Mothering Forums

#1 of 14 Old 07-10-2007, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Vegan mamas, take a look at this and tell me what you think?

I'm having issues with someone (privately) who is up in arms about our vegan lifestyle, help me educate this mama.

She is adamant about the vegan diet not fulfilling nutritional needs, let's set her straight!

Both Kailey and I take a daily multi-vitamin and besides veggies she is getting everything else and she is out in the sun daily (Vit D).

Anything I'm missing?

Introduction
A vegan is a strict vegetarian who does not eat any dairy products or eggs. Most vegans do not eat honey. A well balanced vegan diet can provide all the essential nutrients you require and shares the same health advantages as a vegetarian diet.
Nutritional guidelines for vegans are essentially similar to those for vegetarians. However, vegetarians gain certain nutrients from dairy products and eggs. Vegans need to ensure their diets contain plant food sources of these nutrients, the main ones of which are discussed below.

Protein
Obtaining adequate protein on a vegan diet is not a problem. Nuts & seeds, pulses, wholegrain and grain products and soya products all supply protein. Previously, it has been thought that plant proteins are of a lower quality than animal proteins in terms of their essential amino acid content. However, this is no longer regarded as a problem and eating a balanced diet of plant foods will provide all the essential amino acids in adequate amounts.
Essential Fatty Acids
There are two essential fatty acids which must be supplied by the diet. These are linoleic acid and a-linolenic acid. Essential fatty acids are important for cell membrane function, cholesterol metabolism and the synthesis of various metabolites. Good sources of essential fatty acids are vegetable oils. It is important to have the correct balance between linoleic acid and a-linolenic acid. It has been suggested that vegans should use soyabean or rapeseed oils rather than sunflower or corn oils as these help give a better dietary balance.
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
Certain studies have found vegans to have a low intake of the vitamin, riboflavin. Riboflavin is important in converting protein, fats and carbohydrates into energy, and the synthesis and repair of body tissues. Good sources of riboflavin include whole grains, mushrooms, almonds, leafy green vegetables and yeast extracts.
Vitamin B12
Vitamin B12 is found primarily in meat, dairy products and eggs and is absent from plant foods. Considerable research has been carried out into possible plant sources of B12. Fermented soya products, seaweeds and algae such as spirulina have all been proposed as containing significant amounts of B12. However, the present consensus is that any B12 present in plant foods is likely to be in a form unavailable to humans and so these foods should not be relied upon as safe sources.
Vitamin B12 is important in the formation of red blood cells and the maintenence of a healthy nervous system. When deficiency does occur it is more likely to be due to a failure to absorb B12 from the intestine than a dietary deficiency.

Vegans can obtain B12 from a wide range of foods which have been fortified with the vitamin. These include certain yeast extracts, veggieburger mixes, breakfast cereals, vegetable margarines and soya milks. You should check the packaging to see which individual products are fortified with B12.

Vitamin D
Vitamin D is present in oily fish, eggs and dairy products in variable amounts. It is not found in plant foods. However, vegans can obtain vitamin D from vegetable margarines, some soya milks and certain other foods which are fortified with the vitamin.
Vitamin D is also synthesised by the skin when exposed to sunlight. Synthesis of vitamin D in this way is usually adequate to supply all the body's requirements. Most vegans will obtain sufficient vitamin D providing they spend time outdoors on bright days. Fortified foods further ensure adequate amounts.

Vegans who may be confined indoors may be recommended a vitamin D supplement. Also, infants who are seldom oudoors or who are dark-skinned may require supplements. Asian vegans may also be at risk of deficiency, particularly Asian women who may be required to keep their skin covered for cultural reasons.

Calcium
The major source of calcium in British diets is generally milk and dairy products. Vegans can obtain adequate calcium from plant foods. Good sources include tofu, leafy green vegetables, watercress, dried fruit, seeds and nuts. Also, white bread is fortified with calcium, as are some soya milks. Hard water can also provide significant amounts of calcium.
Iodine
Milk is the primary source of iodine in the British diet and studies have indicated some vegans may have a low iodine intake. Seaweeds are a good source of iodine, and vegetables and grains can contain iodine depending on the amounts in the soil.
Infants
It is perfectly possible to bring up a child on a vegan diet. Vegan children should be given plenty of nutrient rich foods and need good sources of protein, calcium, vitamin B12 and vitamin D. High fibre foods can fill up a child without filling their nutritional needs as well as interfering with mineral absorption from the intestine. For these reasons, foods high in fibre shouldn't be overused.
Vegan Storecupboard
Dairy products can largely be replaced with various soya products. There are several brands of soya milk. It can be purchased either sweetened or unsweetened, plain or flavoured. Different brands may be fortified with vitamin B12, vitamin D and calcium.
Soya cheeses, yoghurts and cream are all available from health food stores. Eggs can be replaced in recipes by commercial egg replacer products, also available from health food stores.

The Vegan Society's Animal-Free Shopper is a useful guide for vegan shoppers and includes suitable cosmetics, supplements, clothing and various household goods as well as food products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 07-10-2007, 05:16 PM

Hey, that's really handy! The only thing that people sometimes ask me about is basically the DHA (I think) that people get from fish oil. I believe that there are vegan supplements availalbe from seaweeds, and I just take flax seed oil.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#3 of 14 Old 07-10-2007, 05:20 PM

When compared with all the cr*p that most omni's eat, I'd dare say your DD and youa re eating far better and are way healthier. I did print out your post though to use as ammo if/when my family chooses to question my eating choices.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#4 of 14 Old 07-10-2007, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

I hear the whole, "you need dairy and meat for protein" arguement. It's completely false. If we eat meat and dairy solely for the nutrients they provide, and these nutrients can be found elsewhere, then you don't need meat and dairy.

I love the list and it really helps me to map out what we need to east. There is a another list for children'that I can post that lists healthy vegan foods kids generally love.

Now, on another thread I am freaking out over Kailey's diet. Just focusing on the lack of veggies she eats and I have been completely ignoring theother foods she DOES it that are healthy and vegan, such as:

oatmeal
raisins
multigrain cereal
spaghetti with veggie sauce
PB and J sandwishes
Chicken free nuggets- she loves these
she even eats tofu in stir fry!
brown rice
pinto beans
orange juice
apple juice

a variety of fruits
raisins
applesauce

So she IS getting many nutrients she needs and I have started giving her a multi vitamin as a supplement.

So, I think I feel much better about her diet

Lucky for us she hates sodas and most candies WOOHOO!!!
#5 of 14 Old 07-10-2007, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Here are two links that I think can be helpful to vegan families in regards to educationing others

http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/WELCO...nchildren.html

and this book
"Diet for a New America"
http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/cgi-b...1812/vegfamily
#6 of 14 Old 07-11-2007, 12:10 AM

This is quick because we are off to bed. I think what you wrote looks great. I find it helpful to add just how much grams etc we need and how many nuts/tofu/etc translates into that. So that they can actually see that we can get all values by eating so much food. Hope this makes sense.
#7 of 14 Old 07-11-2007, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

vgnmama- I agree.

I'm trying to find something that shows how much of these foods equal a balanced diet.

One of the arguments (for nurturing a vegan infant/toddler is that there is so much food to be eaten for them to get a fully balanced diet.

I can counter that with this: infants who are breastfed from a vegan mother are receiving a much higher qaulity breastmilk that is likely NOT to have the junk in it that comes from a meat eating mama. Also, infants who are breastfed aren't eating table foods as a primary source of nutrition.

Toddlers who are vegan fed are another story. There are ways to create a balanced diet (which should be measured weekly, not daily- as with a omni diet) but I agree it seems like a lot of food to take in.

I'm searching for sites now.
#8 of 14 Old 07-12-2007, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I would caution against relying on fortified foods and nut milks as a source for vitamin D. These most often have the inferior form D2, which scientists now regard as not suitable for supplementation. The best supplemental form is D3 (unfortunately, only available from animal sources).

For those who don't want to use D3, are inside a lot or live in places subject to the "Vitamin D Winter," there's some D/UV Lamp lamps available (for example, the ones at this site).

For more info. about vitamin D, the VitaminDCouncil.com is a good site. It has a lot of the new research that shows that we are far more vitamin D-deficient than previously thought (due to improved blood testing).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Where there is a risk, there MUST be a choice.
#9 of 14 Old 07-15-2007, 04:24 PM

A great book to find that information is Becoming Vegan! Great Book!
#10 of 14 Old 07-15-2007, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Living in NC gaurentees enough Vit D
#11 of 14 Old 07-15-2007, 08:48 PM

I'd say DHA is the only thing that might be missing after weaning. I take an algae-based vegan DHA supplement, but I have yet to find one that my kids will tolerate the taste of, otherwise they don't get much...waiting until they can swallow pills instead I suppose! At least they nursed for a few years.

But most people on the SAD diet don't get enough DHA either, so it's really not a vegan deficiency at all.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#12 of 14 Old 07-15-2007, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

I have to share this little funny with you all...

My MIL called tonight and contrary to her usual reaction to things she is really trying to be supportive and I appreciate her efforts. Tonight she said the reason she doesn't stop easting meat is that she really enjoys cooking. She said, "I can stop any time I want to." the way she said it reminded me of someone with an addiction. She didn't sound convincing at all. I just said that we all do what's best for ourselves and our families. Then told her about how we are making sure we get enough nutrients, through foods and a daily vitamin.

Surprisingly enough she seemed ok with it. Whew!
#13 of 14 Old 07-15-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
I'd say DHA is the only thing that might be missing after weaning. I take an algae-based vegan DHA supplement, but I have yet to find one that my kids will tolerate the taste of, otherwise they don't get much...waiting until they can swallow pills instead I suppose!
Veganf, have you tried Dr. Fuhrman's DHA for your kids? It's the mildest tasting DHA I've tried. It's in liquid form and has a citrus flavor, so you might be able to get away with putting a drop in their juice or smoothie...

Here's a link: http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/supplements.aspx
#14 of 14 Old 07-16-2007, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
Living in NC gaurentees enough Vit D
Hopefully, but not necessarily.

According to the study, "Influence of season and latitude on the cutaneous synthesis of vitamin D3: exposure to winter sunlight in Boston and Edmonton will not promote vitamin D3 synthesis in human skin", researchers found that there's "Vitamin D Winter" in areas outside of 34 degrees latitude.

In addition, there are many conditions that interfere with synthesis of vitamin D from the sun even during summer with clear skies, which is good to keep in mind, especially if you don't get any D3 from diet.

The amount of UVB radiation available depends on factors such as:

1) The angle at which the sun's rays strike the earth

2) The presence of clouds and buildings

3) The amount of ozone and aerosol pollution

4) Altitude—the higher up you are the more UV-B reaches you

If there are any doubts, it would be prudent to get a test to measure Calcidiol (25-hydroxyvitamin D) in the blood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Where there is a risk, there MUST be a choice.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page