Wheat free/dairy free/egg free/soy free -first B-day cake - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 09-10-2007, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have a good recipe for one , no sugar would also be great!
My babies b-day is next month and I want to experiment some to find a tasty cake for him with those restrictions.
Any ideas about icing would be nice too.

Thanks!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#2 of 20 Old 09-10-2007, 12:46 PM

I have made that cake from a mix... I want to say it was Gluten Free Pantry brand? and it came out really good. They have suggestions for egg substitutions -- I used mashed banana I think? I don't think it was sugar free though.

And for the icing, I used confectioner's sugar and coconut milk -- guess that doesn't help the sugar free thing, sorry!
#3 of 20 Old 09-10-2007, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't think about looking for a mix, I will next time I'm at the hfs.
I'll do sugar but would rather it not be much. I was thinking maybe a glaze would be better but w/o citrus fruit (I've only ever done a lemon glaze before).

Thank you!

#4 of 20 Old 09-10-2007, 02:28 PM

I've used the "Bob's Red Mill" GF, Dairy free, Chocolate cake mix. It is very good. It calls for eggs, but also says you can use flaxseed meal, or I use Energy G egg replacer.

We did cupcakes for dd b-day (she is older) and just sprinkled powdered sugar on top.

They were so good, people were surprised her "special" food was good.

Good luck, let us know if you find something good!!
#5 of 20 Old 09-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Banned

have you looked up some raw food recipes? it might require dehydration, but i bet there are a number of good ones out there. they tend to be free of everything.

here's one that looks tasty (if you love carrot cake): Raw Gourmet

Carrot Cake and Frosting

This yummy recipe yields 8 cups, or 10-16 servings, one small piece goes a long way! Can be made one or two days in advance and kept refrigerated. The malleable consistency of this carrot cake will allow you to make it into any shape. Make a traditional looking 2 layer round cake with frosting between layers, or get creative and shape it into the form or a Christmas tree or star, on a large platter.

Frosting

2 cups unsoaked cashews
8-13 medjool dates pitted (not soaked)
vanilla
In blender blend cashews with enough water to allow blender to run. When smooth, add in dates until sweet enough. Add in vanilla.

Carrot Cake

1/2 cup raisins, soaked 20 minutes, reserve liquid
1/2 cup dried apricots, soaked 20 minutes
2 cups pecans or walnuts
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1 1/2 cups coconut (dried, unsweetened, shredded)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala or cinnamon
optional pinch of clove
optional pinch of nutmeg
6 cups carrot pulp-
1 1/2 cups date pieces or chopped dates-pit and roughly chop dates

Food processor: combine pecans and pine nuts. Process until uniformly fine. Add coconut, pulse until mixed in. Add spices, pulse until mixed, set aside.

Juicer: (use blank) alternate putting carrot pulp, raisins, apricots and dates through. Knead until mixture is evenly combined. Add in nut mixture a little at a time, kneading it in.

Line 2 round cake pans with saran wrap (you may have to oil the pans first).

Put mixture in pans, pack in. Refrigerate until ready to frost.

HAVE ATTRACTIVE PLATE AVAILABLE
#6 of 20 Old 09-10-2007, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Raw would be fine but most raw cake recipes I've seen have nuts and/or coconut. No nuts or coconut yet and carrots upset his tummy. I've been looking on-line and so far no luck. I've seen a choc. cake recipe that would work if I was going to give him chocolate.

He's actually had very little solids yet.

#7 of 20 Old 09-10-2007, 07:56 PM

Well, for my DS’s first birthday we made a watermelon cake. I sliced watermelon from the middle of the melon to make the cake layers, and then in between the layers (and on the top) I sprinkled shredded unsweetened coconut, berries (raspberries and blueberries) and a squeeze of lime juice. Of course, his birthday is in mid July so that worked very well.

For DD’s 5th birthday I made a cake that was allergen free. I used a vegan and gf recipe for banana bread- which was sweetened only by the bananas. For frosting I used a recipe that was canned pineapple and coconut cooked with a little cornstarch (but you could use arrowroot?) as thickener. The party had a tropical theme so banana cake and pineapple frosting was a hit. We invited kids with dairy, soy, wheat, egg allergies- so I did my best to make sure everyone could have some of the cake.

You could also do an ice cream cake. Coconut milk sweetened with pureed bananas and or pureed dates makes a yummy ice cream. Add other pureed fruits to vary the flavor. Make the ice cream in an ice cream maker and layer in a lined spring form pan.
#8 of 20 Old 09-10-2007, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

The banana cake sounds good (the watermelon sounds great but it would be hard to find (and expensive) in late Oct.). I was thinking about making breastmilk ice cream fo him.
I haven't given him bananas yet but I probably will before his birthday. I would love the recipe for the vegan GF banana cake if you still have it!

#9 of 20 Old 09-11-2007, 09:31 AM
Banned

well, that makes sense.

of course, if he hasn't had many solids yet, then perhaps it wouldn't be a goodo time to give him cake. he won't remeber anyway. it's mostly for the adults in the house. perhaps he can have birthday avocado.
#10 of 20 Old 09-11-2007, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

I know but I've made all my babies' first b-day cakes and I will be sad not to make him one.

He will most likely be eating more things by his b-day, but I am holding off on wheat, dairy amd eggs for longer.

#11 of 20 Old 09-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Banned

it makes sense to me to hold off on those things--let his body adjust.

it was tough finding a recipe that was basicly free of all cake-related ingredients. but i did find this one. it appears to be egg, dairy, wheat free, and basicly sugar free--at least no added sugar beyond what is in the chocolate already. and, you can add other goodies to it or leave them out as you see fit. i think i want to try this one!

Polenta chocolate cake GF

* 1 cup instant polenta
* 3 cups water
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 100g dark chocolate
* 1/2 cup or more raisins, preserved ginger, glace cherries, candied peel, nuts, whatever else you'd like to add

Bring water to the boil. Add polenta and baking powder while stirring and stir/mash like buggery to stop it going lumpy (I use a 1950s gadget called a Kitchamajig, like a thin springy stainless steel salad server with lots of slots in it). Immediately add everything else and stir like buggery (I use a wooden spoon at this point) till the chocolate's melted through it and everything's mixed in evenly. Turn into a small springform looose-bottom tin, leave to cool, put it in the fridge, pop out and pig out. Great comfort food and would make a fine celebration cake for almost no effort.
#12 of 20 Old 09-11-2007, 12:57 PM

We are going to do a yellow and red watermelon cake with vanilla water buffalo yogurt. You could use breastmilk yogurt instead Since it fall, you could do some great things with squash or sweet potatoes. Something with pumpkin would be fun. Or you could used Irish oats and mold them in a ramikin and stick some fruit on it.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#13 of 20 Old 09-11-2007, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Zoebird, that cake sounds good, I'm not giving him chocolate yet though. :

I could make something with pumpkin. Maybe with oat and rice flour hmmmm.

Thank you all for the suggestions, they are helping.

How do you make breastmilk yogurt?? I would love to be giving him that now.

#14 of 20 Old 09-11-2007, 02:01 PM

Well, to make the banana bread/cake- I googled vegan banana bread and found a recipe that looked good, modified it with brown rice flour (and did not add any of the optional dried fruit and nuts).

I'm not very good at following the rules on things, so I usually only use recipes as an inspiration. Banana bread is hard to mess up, though.

Another thing you might try is an applesauce cake.

I think if you wanted to make breastmilk yogurt you could buy powdered cultures. If I were to do it, I would heat the milk to 100 F, add the cultures, stir and incubate at about 100F for 24 hrs. Definitely don't heat it about 120F. Although once you heat it at all you will lose a lot of the healthy enzymes and micronutrients. You will probably lose nutritional value when you convert milk to yogurt. You gain the probiotics, but those can be obtained in other ways. However, if you were to make ice cream- I would try using the yogurt to make it- perhaps puree a little fruit and add it to the yogurt and then freeze. That may soften the ice cream a bit. I know my milk seemed a bit watery when compared to cow or goat milks- and thus when frozen it was a lot harder and icier. Of course, ice cream is made out of cream, not milk, so perhaps you could express milk, let it separate and then skim the cream- to get a softer and more familiar texture that wouldn't be so hard after it was frozen. Or perhaps this is all TMI?
#15 of 20 Old 09-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Banned

i'm thinking that the polenta cake could probably be done without chocolate, but without sugar i can't figure it.

personally, i love plain polenta in it's fridged 'cakey' form, and i particularly love it with warmed vanilla cream (you can use breast milk yogurt for this, and just add a bit of vanilla bean to it) and some good jam.

also, since i searched google and found two recipes that fit the original bill, and neither was good enough, i suggest you go to google and hunt around until you can find a recipe that suits you.
#16 of 20 Old 09-11-2007, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both! I definitely have some things to go on now. I have a vegan banana bread recipe I've used many many times that I think I could probably modify to work. I could even replace banana with pumpkin, aww the wheels are turning.
I was just gifted a hand held pump so I need to see how much milk I can even pump with it but I really appreciate the advice on how to make icecream/yogurt. I need to experiment. Not tmi at all!

I did google and I came up with a couple possibilities but the ideas on here have been much better.

#17 of 20 Old 09-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Banned

i think that there are so many options out there. i think what's tough for me in regards to reading some recipes is that i didn't know if nuts were something 'inherent' to the cake or something that could be removed.

i found a really nice apple cake that had nuts and raisins in it--i thought that would be really tastey for the autumn, but i didn't want to suggest it since nuts were a no-no.

i'm also thinking, you could probably do the polenta as a vanilla cake. . .i would just add a good bit of it to the polenta (in extract form, bean form, or what have you). it might also be nice to add orange juice to it (at the water phase) as well.

i think i'll try it.
#18 of 20 Old 09-11-2007, 04:09 PM

What about skipping the cake and making him fruit sorbet served in a cupcake wrapper? Couldn't be easier -- just freeze fruit, then puree in blender.

You can also do a hunt for "wacky cake" recipes form the depression. It contains wheat and sugar, but no eggs and the rest.

I did Flax Pumpkin quickbread bread for DD's first as cupcakes. And I tried her on one before the birthday so I knew she wouldn't feel sick.

Vegan Cupcakes take over the world have many vegan varieties for ideas.

A.
#19 of 20 Old 09-11-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i think that there are so many options out there. i think what's tough for me in regards to reading some recipes is that i didn't know if nuts were something 'inherent' to the cake or something that could be removed.

i found a really nice apple cake that had nuts and raisins in it--i thought that would be really tastey for the autumn, but i didn't want to suggest it since nuts were a no-no.
Well I think you just have to try it out and see. Most of the time with things like nuts, raisins, fruit, chocolate chips, etc.- you can leave them out if you put them in whole or coarsely chopped, or if they are mixed in at the end.

I have a bad habit of modifying recipes when I use them- sometimes I get hockey pucks, or gooey mess- but most of the time it's just fine. Just experiment.
#20 of 20 Old 09-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Banned

well, i don't mind the experimental part. LOL it's just that i wasn't experimenting here, so much as trying to suggest a recipe that i knew could be modified (because of how the ingredients are listened), as opposed to ones that i didn't know and hadn't experimented with.

honestly, we don't eat a lot of cake, and when we do, it's made by an english confectioner in our area. she makes the most amazing cakes with butter, eggs, sugar, flour. . . .

i figured that wouldn't be the right suggestion either. LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page