RAWctober! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 145 Old 10-08-2007, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That;s right! I forgot your dh makes flower remedies! I love them-no that I've ever used his...at least not knowingly! I have only tried a couple of different types and had success wiht all. I think they are so powerful.

I have read quite a bit about Aajonus-I think most everything that's available on the internet. Can't say I remember that part though. Looks like it's time for a refresher. IT has been a couple of years. I know many people with autism have had success with raw foods-it was one of the things that interested me. The rationale being if this diet was so healing and health promoting it is probably prudent to follow it in general. My kids were only on the spectrum-and as I said just barely. I know several people (only two IRL) that had kids who were truly autistic and healed them with raw foods. One lives close to me and has a 9 year old dd that has come SO far. She used to have major issues with food and I have watched her eat huge green salads, raw hummus, broccoli slaw etc by the pound practically! Her mom said she never touched a veggie before raw.

I know another fabulous lady too whose newborn (again, born at home no vaxxes etc.) has many symptoms of autism. He's only a couple of months old, but apparently it's quite clear (I've only seen him asleep!) As long as she stays raw he has no symptoms. She told me this past weekend she has no doubt he'd be autistic if she wasn't raw. She had a slip up a little bit ago and he regressed and stopped having external connections. I believe (as does she) that he was a gift to heal her family. Without him she never would have gone raw. She looks amazing-almost unrecognizable from her pre-birth days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 145 Old 10-08-2007, 12:38 PM

I am so interested in reading this thread. I love to read what you have to say about the raw diet and admire those of you that follow it. I don't feel I could ever follow a raw diet for several reasons -
The diet seems way too expensive. I am already on a limited grocery budget and produce is already so expensive. My DH would kill me if I spend any more money on groceries!!
I also don't think it would ever satisfy my hunger. I am quite thin and eat a whole foods diet with organic meats. I am also nursing a toddler. I am so hungry most of the time. There is no way I would be full on a green smoothie!!
I have hypoglcemia, which was helped by added organic meats. I am scared of a low protein diet and having those awful low blood sugar attacks.

I eat a whole foods diet with unpasteurized cheese, sourdough breads, fruits/vegetables, nuts and meat. I don't know why I am telling you all this, but I guess I wanted to tell you I read this thread daily and am so impressed with those that follow this diet.

firefaery,
I admire how you heal your kids with this diet. I am curious how your gut issues cause their autistic behaviors. Were you following a special diet when you were pregnant? Did you take any special nutritonal supplements that are recommended for raw food diets like maca and super green foods. I am only curious because I have a friend with an autistic boy on a GF, CF diet with no significant improvement yet. I know she is TTC again soon and was wondering if you had any special advice for her to follow during this pregnancy.
THanks so much!!

LIndsay
#33 of 145 Old 10-08-2007, 05:08 PM

So in regards to food combining will the body naturally let you know on that one? I don't want to think about not eating a certain thing or waiting for others etc. if I don't have to. Is a person more inclined to keep things in their combined groups naturally or is it something you have to learn?

Also, the raw eggs thing. We were lacto-ovo veggie so we have no problems with eggs. Cooked. I know eggs can be a good source of nutrients and would like to keep them for her. I know DH and I could use them too. Can you taste it/them when you add them to drinks? Maybe I'll sneak one in on DH to see.

I was thinking about all this last night. It's funny how we (general) think cooked food= optimal and complete nutrition. When we were omni I never worried about not getting enough. Once we went veggie I was more aware of stuff but wasnt concerned we were missing out. Now that we are going raw both of us are worried about it. We're eating the same stuff as before! We just aren't cooking it. Kind of funny to me how cooking means it's better somehow.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#34 of 145 Old 10-08-2007, 05:54 PM

Are Storm and Jinjee fruitarians? Really? I had no idea. I thought they were way into greens. Doug Graham is a fruitarian, I believe...although I don't think he particularly likes the term. Interesting...

I increased my greens "a lot" (like double the previous amount) this past week, and I had the weirdest reaction. Like, one day I would feel AMAZING...like a superbeing, and then the day after I would crash big time...like totally lethargic and anemic feeling. This happened on two occasions. The second time I started to panic and started eating heavier foods, although I'm not sure why exactly. So either the greens have some sort of slightly delayed detox effect or I have some totally unknown issue that needs to be dealt with. Hmmm...

This thread is so interesting this month!! It's really inspiring to read these personal stories. My ds has no health issues that I know of, but he was quite small at birth (normal range, but small) and still is. Just skinny and dinky...although actually quite sturdy and never sick. I'm fairly sure his size is genetic, but I'm always trying to improve his diet and exercise just to see what happens. He eats an organic whole food veg diet and I'm increasing the raw stuff and decreasing and even eliminating things like gluten to see what happens. When he has grains (like oats or brown rice) I soak them beforehand. He eats a ton and has loads of energy...but not loads of weight.

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#35 of 145 Old 10-08-2007, 10:42 PM

How does everyone do their grocery shopping?

We went two weeks ago and tore through 2 weeks worth of groceries fast! It seems like it didn't last as long. It did, we just don't have leftovers anymore to take up space in the fridge. Since it was our first go round of raw shopping we didn't get things that were in various stages of ripe either. So a couple things did get tossed (like 3 avocados DD1 finally wanted one and all 3 were bad!). I know that will be easier thi time around though. So what things do you stock up on that last longer? We have plenty of nuts but the only things left are a head of lettuce, some lemons and limes, and a 2 lb. bag of carrots.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#36 of 145 Old 10-09-2007, 01:23 AM

hi, I'm not 100% raw but I am trying to up my raw foods (not counting medicinal infusions like tea).

My one question is... who here likes raw BROCCOLI? I want to eat it raw... but oh man... it just doesn't work for me. But I feel like I'm wasting it by cooking it.

Also, how do you eat the stem? It's even less palatable raw. Help! It's just so hard to chew.
#37 of 145 Old 10-09-2007, 01:37 AM

Hi Meowee, I like to marinate my broccoli in olive oil and a pinch of salt for a while...kind of softens it up.

And shopping...we have lots of farmers markets here so try to make it to at least two a week and stock up. Greens last about 3 days. I just tossed a couple avos too, which was a bummer. It seems like we shop often, every other day? I wish I could get better at planning, I think it would help. And ds's preferences just changed so I feel like I've got to add things to my list now too. Apples, grapefruits, and oranges seem to last a while. We do buy stuff in varying stages too, and frozen fruit. When I buy dried fruits I really stock up, same for nuts/seeds.

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
#38 of 145 Old 10-09-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryeb View Post
It seems like we shop often, every other day?
That's what we do...but then again, pretty much everyone does in this part of the world, raw or not.

#39 of 145 Old 10-09-2007, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Calynde-Storm and Jinjee aren't, but they have said repeatedly that their kids are. Sorry to hear you are having issues-dh is as well. I'm running out the door, but will post more later.

I ADORE raw broccoli! I love it in slaws, salads and I make a dish that came from Ani Phyo that is a broccoli mash. My kids love it-I think it's good too.

We shop every other day. Have to. Our fridge isn't big enough to stock more than that!

I'll be back! It's so great to see all the new faces-raw or not. Thanks for joining us :
#40 of 145 Old 10-09-2007, 11:10 AM

The frequency of shopping is an issue too-- I can go to the grocery at most once a week. So most of my raw eating is early in the week.

Well, I cut the broccoli very thin and dipped it in hummus. It was good but still wasn't as palatable as cooked broccoli. I'm thinking it has to be pureed or something...
#41 of 145 Old 10-09-2007, 11:12 AM

PS, here is my huge raw eating question: while I recognize the benefits, I am absolutely terrified of food borne illnesses. The spinach deaths are still fresh in my mind. I know that rinsing alone doesn't kill pathogens and that cooking is more effective to destroy pathogens .
#42 of 145 Old 10-09-2007, 12:34 PM

I looove that broccoli mash too! It kept for about 2 days after I made it. Too garlicky for ds, but there is room to play with it. I think the recipe was 1 c brazil nuts, 2 c cut up broccoli, 1 clove garlic, salt/pepper. Use food processor!

Shopping...I've thought about ordering a box of fruits/veggies from someplace like organics express, but have not yet. We just moved away from our co-op which was soo conveniently located. I'm still learning where to get the best greens/foods here in our new area, and which markets are good, etc.

It will be interesting to hear others thoughts on spinach...I buy baby spinach from a local grower. But there are so many other greens...

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
#43 of 145 Old 10-09-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
PS, here is my huge raw eating question: while I recognize the benefits, I am absolutely terrified of food borne illnesses. The spinach deaths are still fresh in my mind. I know that rinsing alone doesn't kill pathogens and that cooking is more effective to destroy pathogens .
This is also something I that also worries me. I do take some satisfaction in knowing that my cooked vegetables are safe to eat (especially when I was pregnant).
#44 of 145 Old 10-10-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
What's food cominbing about?

I've seen it mentioned a lot all of a sudden on the things I've been reading and it seems that most think it's super important. Is it? What are the basics of it?

uccomama that's what I'm worried about! That letting her pick what she wants to eat may equal a lack of important things like fats and what not. I know she'll eat all of it but I'd rather not worry everytime she ate something about whether or not she needed something else yk?
But think about how much crap most other kids eat... Convenience foods, bla bla bla, etc and so on... And then take a deep breath, decide not to worry, and be glad your DD wants good things when she wants to eat!
#45 of 145 Old 10-10-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama View Post
I just didn't want to clog up the thread with info that wasn't necessarily of interest to the majority of posters! The reason I don't combine veggie juices with other foods is that juices are alkalinizing and require an alkaline digestive environment for proper digestion. Meat, eggs, milk, cheese, nuts and seeds require an acidic digestive environment for proper digestion. However, raw butter, raw cream and unheated coconut cream are neutral and may be eaten with either acidic or alkaline foods. Bland fruit like tomatoes and avocado are not vegetables so may be eaten with either acidic or alkaline foods. Raw milk needs an acidic digestive environment for proper digestion, so I don't drink it within an hour before or after drinking veggie juice.

ETA: I am talking about all raw foods here.

Adding more to this post:

I thought it might be helpful to put the above in a veg*n context, this is based on info I have learned concerning food combining and non-animal raw foods. I only eat very small amounts of whole veggies, more as flavoring to meat/fish dishes, however, whole veggies should not be eaten sooner than one hour after any other food. As veggies move through the intestines slowly, any acidic foods consumed will catch up with the veggies and interfere with digestion, so in that case no other food should be eaten within 5 hours after eating a salad. If I ever eat a salad, it will be the last thing I eat at night, so I have plenty of time to digest it.

With regard to fruits, with the Primal Diet, it is advised not to eat alkaline fruits such as bananas, peaches and figs more than once a day. They should always be eaten with coconut cream or avocado.

Now, I am sure the above info isn't the same as the advice given to veg*n raw foodists.
Wow! That's good info; thanks! But it's also waaaaay too much analysis for me... I'm lucky if I eat *enough* most days, and it's a huge + if I eat a little raw--though I'm trying. I'm not one to follow all these rules. : Reading all this makes me feel inadequate. Maybe I'll get there someday.
#46 of 145 Old 10-10-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
So in regards to food combining will the body naturally let you know on that one? I don't want to think about not eating a certain thing or waiting for others etc. if I don't have to. Is a person more inclined to keep things in their combined groups naturally or is it something you have to learn?

Also, the raw eggs thing. We were lacto-ovo veggie so we have no problems with eggs. Cooked. I know eggs can be a good source of nutrients and would like to keep them for her. I know DH and I could use them too. Can you taste it/them when you add them to drinks? Maybe I'll sneak one in on DH to see.

I was thinking about all this last night. It's funny how we (general) think cooked food= optimal and complete nutrition. When we were omni I never worried about not getting enough. Once we went veggie I was more aware of stuff but wasnt concerned we were missing out. Now that we are going raw both of us are worried about it. We're eating the same stuff as before! We just aren't cooking it. Kind of funny to me how cooking means it's better somehow.
:
#47 of 145 Old 10-10-2007, 04:01 PM

May I join in? I just recently became interested in raw foods and have been reading every book I can get my hands on.

What kind of symptoms did you notice at first when you started your raw way of life?

I would love any "true and tried" recipes. I want to show DH being raw is yummy! He eats a salad everyday for lunch- so atleast I got him going raw for one meal.

This morning for breakfast I made DD and I a smoothie with pineapple, blueberries, nectarines, kale, coconut oil and hemp seeds.

What kind of smoothies does everyone else enjoy?

Thanks for any help and getting me off to a great start!
#48 of 145 Old 10-11-2007, 10:35 PM

OtherMother'n'Madre, read this excerpt from Victoria Boutenko's 12 Steps to Raw Foods.
(http://www.wtv-zone.com/intelligent-...tepstoraw.html)

""When my son Sergei, who is 16, goes snowboarding, he leaves at 6:30 a.m. and comes home at 7:00 p.m. He takes with him two organic oranges to eat on the
shuttle bus. He eats one on the way up to the snow and one on the way back home. That's enough because he assimilates 30%."

This is just part of what may be helpful for you to read. 30% means 30% of the nutrition in food--or all of it. Perhaps your DD is assimilating all the nutrition the raw foods she eats have to offer, and that's why she won't eat any more.
#49 of 145 Old 10-12-2007, 10:06 AM

I would love to do more raw foods but this season is SO hard! I am a definate localvore and the only veggies local at this point are things like potatoes, carrots (those are good raw of course), beets, parsnips, winter squash....thats about it. Does anyone have any raw ideas for me?

Also, I am feeding a toddler too. He doesnt eat a TON of solids but he cant really eat hard raw veggies yet. I need some raw and healthy snack ideas for him. He is 15 months and mostly breastfeeding. Right now he likes frozen blueberries, steamed corn and peas, peeled apples, crackers, cheese, soft veggies from our soups and other dishes, beans....ect. Not a ton of raw things quite yet.

Please please please share your ideas! Thanks.

Joyful mama of 3.
#50 of 145 Old 10-12-2007, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

My youngest is fifteen months too. Why do you think he can't handle raw? My ds is about 95% as are my other two-dd was at this age also.

I tend to try and eat as locally as possible. You should be able to get greens-especially the hardy ones. Kale, celery, chard and herbs should be available, no? I know in my area of New England I can still score plenty at farmer's markets. I just got kale, chard, dill, zucchini, cukes, peppers, parsnips, potatoes, basil, parsley, tomatoes, apples and pears this past week.

Soooooo, you can do smoothies, pates, raw pies, raw cobblers (YUM!) salads (obviously-but just to throw it out there!) different varieties too. You can do an apple beet salad for instance. cauliflower can be ground into rice and it's fabulous with parsnips thrown in, carrots can be juiced and blended, you can do a raw carrot cake, raw carrot muffins etc.

Raw crackers are great for kiddos too. Puddings, shakes, ice cream etc. You can do a raw hummus and give him sliced veggies to dip in it.

My 15 month old loves green smoothies, banana cream pie, apple slices, ice cream, apricot cookies, sushi, and picking off mamas plate. You can definitely get more raw into him if that's your goal. Thanks for joining us!
#51 of 145 Old 10-12-2007, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

oh-because he can't physically chew them? I getcha. Blending is your friend. Most of the stuff my kiddos eat is processed to a certain degree. Like the cauliflower and parsnip rice. I zip it in the food processor and it's easy. Pates too. Just stick the greens with some avocado in the processor until creamy. Then spread on nori rolls with the "rice" and hand over. That makes it far easier.

Carrots are great for this too as they are so sweet. The raw carrot cakes I've made (basically blended raisins, walnuts, dates, carrots and spices) have been HUGE hits. Same with pumpkin and squash stuff-blend with spices and enjoy. We ate a raw squash cereal this morning. I blended soaked buckwheat with squash and dates with some pumpkin pie spice. Dehydrated overnight and this morning it was very tasty!
#52 of 145 Old 10-12-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontgirl View Post
I am a definate localvore
This has always been the one area where I really struggle with the raw food scene. Always imported fruits: coconuts, mangos, bananas...also such emphasis on gojis, cacao and nuts from every corner of the earth. It really isn't necessary, especially if one learns about wild food.

There was a documentary recently about a woman in Sweden, who researched into their food history and is re-introducing native berries, barks, greens, mosses or whatever other edibles that grow in their harsh climate but have sustained their population since the beginning. Interesting!

For our "superfoods" we try to gather dandelion, nettles, rosehips, and something called "Baerlauch" which is a garlicky tasting green that people here make pesto with. Mushroom gathering is also popular here and there are countless varieties of berries. We also have wild chestnuts, walnuts and beech nuts. There is so much around for free...and you can't really get any more locavore than that!

It's an interesting topic!

#53 of 145 Old 10-12-2007, 02:40 PM

Thanks so much for the tips. Can you PLEASE share a few recipes with me?
I am particularly interested in puddings, raw hummus, banana cream pie, apricot cookies, raw carrot cake, raw pies and pate. Is there a favorite cookbook that you use?

I dont have a food processor-do I definitely need one?

PLEASE SHARE good toddler recipes. Thanks so much.

-Hannah

Joyful mama of 3.
#54 of 145 Old 10-12-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calynde View Post
This has always been the one area where I really struggle with the raw food scene. Always imported fruits: coconuts, mangos, bananas...also such emphasis on gojis, cacao and nuts from every corner of the earth. It really isn't necessary, especially if one learns about wild food.

There was a documentary recently about a woman in Sweden, who researched into their food history and is re-introducing native berries, barks, greens, mosses or whatever other edibles that grow in their harsh climate but have sustained their population since the beginning. Interesting!

For our "superfoods" we try to gather dandelion, nettles, rosehips, and something called "Baerlauch" which is a garlicky tasting green that people here make pesto with. Mushroom gathering is also popular here and there are countless varieties of berries. We also have wild chestnuts, walnuts and beech nuts. There is so much around for free...and you can't really get any more locavore than that!

It's an interesting topic!
Wow you sound really skilled at foraging. I would love to find a book about Vermont wild foods. Right now we just buy from local farmers and such. We are not extremely good at being localvores. I havent had banana's in so long but when firefairy mentioned her banana cream pie recipe I got a craving. I consider something like bananas an extravagance-not a staple.

Joyful mama of 3.
#55 of 145 Old 10-12-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontgirl View Post
Wow you sound really skilled at foraging.
Actually, it's a pretty normal thing to do here. When in Rome...

And I'm definitely not a locavore! My tastes developed on a different continent afterall.

I think Alissa Cohen has a lot of good, kid-friendly (and transition) recipes.

#56 of 145 Old 10-12-2007, 09:11 PM

Can/do you eat them raw? If so, what do you do with them?
#57 of 145 Old 10-12-2007, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
Can/do you eat them raw? If so, what do you do with them?
Not that I know of. Some people on a raw food diet can benefit from a little cooked potato starch if the are dealing with excess hormones or toxicity though. A very small amount of cooked starch releases gluten and starch that some people can't get from any other source. If you are not vegan, you can obtain the same effects by eating nuts in combination with raw fat and unheated honey.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#58 of 145 Old 10-14-2007, 03:54 PM

I put some lentils in to soak Friday night, rinsed them twice yesterday, and just noticed they'd sprouted! This is a big deal for me, b/c I've been known to kill things... I also tried sprouting before, but they rotted. This time I used a plastic jar--all I had--and a stocking, and I got a lot of tasty sprouts! This is very cool! It made me feel good, too, b/c somehow I felt like I'd helped create something good, instead of doing something to destroy the environment--which I'm sure I do on a daily basis. For me, sprouting is a step in the right direction. Thought some of you would understand.
Chickpeas are next--I love those!
#59 of 145 Old 10-17-2007, 10:35 AM

Bump!

I just read on living-foods.com that a person who eats 75% raw is considered a raw foodist... so I guess I already am a raw foodist!

I do use canned beans because, since they are quickly blanched for canning, they are less "cooked" than boiled reconstituted dry beans.
#60 of 145 Old 10-17-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
I put some lentils in to soak Friday night, rinsed them twice yesterday, and just noticed they'd sprouted! This is a big deal for me, b/c I've been known to kill things... I also tried sprouting before, but they rotted. This time I used a plastic jar--all I had--and a stocking, and I got a lot of tasty sprouts! This is very cool! It made me feel good, too, b/c somehow I felt like I'd helped create something good, instead of doing something to destroy the environment--which I'm sure I do on a daily basis. For me, sprouting is a step in the right direction. Thought some of you would understand.
Chickpeas are next--I love those!
I did mung beans the other day. I was so proud of myself!!! Congrats to you!! I love sprouts and tomatoes with oregano!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page