Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quinoa is also an easy thing to sprout.

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#62 of 145 Old 10-17-2007, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Had my first green smoothie today. I just used 2 bananas and a handful or 2 of baby spinach leaves and added some water to thin it. I was expecting something horrid. : But if I hadn't put the spinach in myself, I never would have known it was there! I'd heard green smoothies don't taste "green," but I didn't believe it until now. I'm glad I tried it and looking forward to more!
#63 of 145 Old 10-17-2007, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

yay for the green smoothies!
#64 of 145 Old 10-18-2007, 12:48 AM

The only "green" I can taste in ours is celery. Not sure why but I can. I can smell it too. Good thing I like celery.

I had my first ice cream tonight. I used this recipe and did it with pineapple. Oh I am in heaven! And beware, the warning that it is super sweet is TRUE! I scooped up a normal amount for me and had the hardest time getting through it all. You can't tell it's not "real" ice cream. I can't wait to get through it so I can make more. I did it in my food processor with my s blade. What fruits are diabetic friendly? I want to make a small batch for my MIL but she likes to indulg with sweets so I'd want to make sure she could without killing her.

We've been slacking lately and I was feeling like crap and craving foods I don't normally (like squash and radishes) so I figured I needed to get back on the ball. I wanted a sweet and tracked down the ice cream recipe and it was such a tasty success that I'm out of my funk I think.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#65 of 145 Old 10-18-2007, 04:03 PM

Hello, all!

So, we just finished our year's worth of truly raw organic almonds and are now faced with the decision of what new plant food to use next for our milks as there are no more raw almonds.

What do you all use to make milk and what are your sources? :
#66 of 145 Old 10-18-2007, 05:21 PM

Raw Almond source

Give more**Expect Less
#67 of 145 Old 10-19-2007, 08:26 PM

Thank you for that! It looks like an awesome source, especially because I'd (mistakenly) just assumed that almonds were no longer an option. What a relief.
#68 of 145 Old 10-20-2007, 03:16 AM

Is raw expensive for anyone else?I mean majorly expensive! We have $240/month to feed me, DH, and babe right now. No more, and it's on food stamps. Problem is, I can't find the things I want around here without having to pay cash for them--cash I don't have, i.e. get them online, can't use EBT, etc. I'm talking about things to make recipes. Karob powder, tahini, nuts, seeds, and some other things I never heard of before. Oh and just totally forget the agave! That's way out of my price range. I haven't been raw long enough to be able to just sit there and eat whole foods--YUK! Actually, I still hate fruits and vegies... So this could be a very long road. I'm also hungry all the time. TO sum this up, I don't know of any desserts I can make with few ingredients, I don't have a pantry (I have onion powder, garlic powder, chile powder, and taco seasoning, as well as EVOO not cold pressed and white vinegar, but I guess these things aren't raw.?) What can I do here. I'm tempted to go back to cooked food just b/c it fills me up. I'm so darn hungry!!!
FTR I don't have a dehydrator and cant afford one. I wish I could b/c I have a feeling the transition would be so much easier with one!
#69 of 145 Old 10-20-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
Is raw expensive for anyone else?I mean majorly expensive! We have $240/month to feed me, DH, and babe right now. No more, and it's on food stamps. Problem is, I can't find the things I want around here without having to pay cash for them--cash I don't have, i.e. get them online, can't use EBT, etc. I'm talking about things to make recipes. Karob powder, tahini, nuts, seeds, and some other things I never heard of before. Oh and just totally forget the agave! That's way out of my price range. I haven't been raw long enough to be able to just sit there and eat whole foods--YUK! Actually, I still hate fruits and vegies... So this could be a very long road. I'm also hungry all the time. TO sum this up, I don't know of any desserts I can make with few ingredients, I don't have a pantry (I have onion powder, garlic powder, chile powder, and taco seasoning, as well as EVOO not cold pressed and white vinegar, but I guess these things aren't raw.?) What can I do here. I'm tempted to go back to cooked food just b/c it fills me up. I'm so darn hungry!!!
FTR I don't have a dehydrator and cant afford one. I wish I could b/c I have a feeling the transition would be so much easier with one!
Try the ice cream recipe I posted on my blog. Super simple and all it requires is fruit and a blender/food processor. It's a perfect dessert AND you don't have to feel bad about eating it at 11:30 at night because you aren't goig to get the sugar high you get from SAD ice cream.

Also we don't have a dehydrator and we've managed to figure stuff out. It's just about figuring out what to replace with. Most of the stuff I've seen that calls for dehydrated items are breads and pizza crusts etc. We can't handle those anyway (well DH) can't so it just takes some creativity...like using a green leaf and using that as a roll/bread/crust. You'll figure it out! Until you get recipes you like (we love raw fruits and veggies and always have so transition may have been a tad easier for us to begin with) you can do lots of green smoothies. As for feeling full the only thing I can think of is add more fats like avocados. Eat nuts...keep a little snack size tray with nuts in it around and snack on those throughout the day. Graze often. It takes some times for your body to get used to the lighter meals but it'll happen.

As for money I cna't help you there! We're still figuring that out. We go shopping once a week..sometimes two if we can make it stretch and spend about 150-200. It's a lot I know (and we have spent that regardless of our diet). It also depends on where we go. If we go to the bulk store 200 will get us close to a month (with some maintenance shopping trips) but if we go to the one in town it gets us squat. I think once you get into the hang of things and your body adjusts and what not it gets less expensive. Especially once you get your pantry built up (we don't have one either).

For the things not available in your store just request them! Get your list of things together that you are only able to get online right now and ask them if they can get it. You'd be amazed. My sister is a vegetarian and lives in podunkville and has requested many a non main stream thing and got it. Most stores are pretty good about doing it.

Give more**Expect Less
#70 of 145 Old 10-20-2007, 11:00 PM

I hate avocados.

And where can I find raw nuts in a store? Do they say raw somewhere?
#71 of 145 Old 10-21-2007, 12:39 AM

Have you tried making an avocado based dressing? I am much more likely to chomp on some veggies with that than I am a plain ol avocado. There is a recipe for one on my food blog and you can't really tell it's avocado.

We get our nuts from a store called Winco. They are in the bulk area and do say raw on them. So far the only raw ones we can get are almonds, spanish peanuts, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower kernals. I think we can get walnuts but I can't remember for sure.

Give more**Expect Less
#72 of 145 Old 10-21-2007, 01:08 AM

Woo hoo! Directions for a home made dehydrator should you want one buut can't afford it.

Give more**Expect Less
#73 of 145 Old 10-21-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I hate avocados.

And where can I find raw nuts in a store? Do they say raw somewhere?
I am not fond of avocados either, but i found this recipe somewhere, on a raw food site and it[s awesome!

3-4 avocados
1/2 c. cocoa powder
1/2 c. agave or honey
2-3 tbsp coconut cream
1tbsp vanilla

Mix it all in the blender and your done. Top it with bananas strawberries and you have a great dessert you don't have to feel guilty about! Play with the recipe, its an estimate of what I use, can't remember amounts anymore.
#74 of 145 Old 10-21-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splunky View Post
I am not fond of avocados either, but i found this recipe somewhere, on a raw food site and it[s awesome!

3-4 avocados
1/2 c. cocoa powder
1/2 c. agave or honey
2-3 tbsp coconut cream
1tbsp vanilla

Mix it all in the blender and your done. Top it with bananas strawberries and you have a great dessert you don't have to feel guilty about! Play with the recipe, its an estimate of what I use, can't remember amounts anymore.

Here's another good recipe for using avocados if you don't like the taste

2-3 cups frozen or fresh fruit (strawberries are good)
1/3 cup almond butter or almonds
1 avocado
Little bit of water

Process all together in a food processor and you have yourself a nice fruit pudding or even a nice dessert :-) It's yummy!!
#75 of 145 Old 10-21-2007, 11:41 PM

Thanks a lot for the recipes!
#76 of 145 Old 10-21-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
Woo hoo! Directions for a home made dehydrator should you want one buut can't afford it.
Oh wow! Thanks again! I totally want to do this raw thing () and you've been a big help!
#77 of 145 Old 10-22-2007, 12:31 AM

Does anyone eat just whole fruits and vegies, and drink water and smoothies? This transition is crazy for me... First I want things I can't have..cooked things. Then I want things I can't make--raw things. And then, most of the time and when I'm in my right mind, I feel like consuming whole foods, water, and smoothies is best for me, at least right now. If I do this, is there anything I should be aware of? Is there anything wrong or lacking in this?

Thanks for your help, again!

ETA: I do/will eat nuts and seeds too, and sprouts!
#78 of 145 Old 10-22-2007, 01:58 AM

Mrskennedy,
I've had days where I basically just drink smoothies, juices, and water. But that doesn't happen often. During the summer I practically lived daily on fruit and smoothies, but since it has gotten colder I have craved heartier things and found myself eating more nuts/recipes than normal the last couple weeks. I think if you just go with what you want you are going to be fine, and most likely you will find you want something else a couple days/week from now. HTH. And I used to seriously dislike avocado, watermelon, and cantelope for some reason. Now I love them. It's so strange! I cannot get enough cantelope. And I go for a couple weeks at a time craving guac and then needing to take a break. I think your taste buds will change, and so will your cravings. Good luck! Mary

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
#79 of 145 Old 10-23-2007, 04:39 AM

For those of you who are, say, 75-100% raw, do you get sick when you eat cooked food? What do you notice when you eat it, and how long does it take to flush it out of your system, etc?
#80 of 145 Old 10-23-2007, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryeb View Post
Mrskennedy,
I've had days where I basically just drink smoothies, juices, and water. But that doesn't happen often. During the summer I practically lived daily on fruit and smoothies, but since it has gotten colder I have craved heartier things and found myself eating more nuts/recipes than normal the last couple weeks. I think if you just go with what you want you are going to be fine, and most likely you will find you want something else a couple days/week from now. HTH. And I used to seriously dislike avocado, watermelon, and cantelope for some reason. Now I love them. It's so strange! I cannot get enough cantelope. And I go for a couple weeks at a time craving guac and then needing to take a break. I think your taste buds will change, and so will your cravings. Good luck! Mary
Thanks, Mary!

I had a smoothie yesterday of avocado, spinach, and strawberries. And it was good. I think the strawberries were what saved it. I really have to get a better blender though! I have a Magic Bullet, and it was doing ok. But now it doesn't completely blend/chop things, as I had tiny avocado lumps in my smoothie... That was a bit off-putting, but I tried to ignore it. It also takes forever to blend, and I have to keep taking the cup/blade assembly off and shaking it! Maybe I'll ask for a Vitamix for Christmas!
#81 of 145 Old 10-23-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
For those of you who are, say, 75-100% raw, do you get sick when you eat cooked food? What do you notice when you eat it, and how long does it take to flush it out of your system, etc?
I would say that I feel noticeably less well after eating *most* cooked foods. And by this I don't mean anything that would qualify as junk food...even just certain simple soups can make me feel a bit gross, but not *sick* feeling. I will often notice things like burping or a bloated feeling...sometimes heartburn, but nothing terribly severe. Any raw food high that I might have been having definitely dissipates. I usually feel that it's out of my system by the next morning...and then I start again with raw.

I've been around 70-80% for a couple of years and have tried 100% a couple of different times with different methods. I haven't yet found my personal balance of what to consume, how much to work out etc to thrive on 100%. For me, being 100% did not make me feel better necessarily, which I took as a clue that I haven't found my stride with it. I'm aiming now for a very simple 80-20 diet...80% raw (high greens), 20% cooked vegan (simple things! no soy, no breads, no pastas etc). There are still certain cooked foods that don't make me feel badly after eating them...particularly if properly food combined. For example, millet, quinoa, lentils, brown rice more or less, certain legumes. And I only eat the cooked in the evenings...it's raw all through the day.

It's certainly a journey! And I'm still learning as I go....

#82 of 145 Old 10-23-2007, 12:03 PM

I have been non-existant since I first posted on this thread, sorry. Part of it is because I abandoned Raw for a short while. Needless to say, I am back, and realize at least high raw is what I feel good at. More details about my journey later.
I still need to go and read through all the posts, but I wanted to share this little "yea moment" with you all.
I am the only one in the family who eats raw. My dh thinks I am crazy, kiddos think I just really like salad, and being healthy, so not so bad. They are used to me making "healthy" stuff for them to try, which is great!
Well, I made the raw ice cream from some website, can't remember now, and EVERYONE LOVED IT!!!! I am so excited! They have also had the avocado chocolate pudding and loved that too.
Slowly I am getting them to eat healthier.
Thanks for sharing with me.
#83 of 145 Old 10-23-2007, 10:18 PM

I just wanted to introduce myself. I am new to raw foods, and was wondering if there was anybody else on MDC and I found this thread.

I've been trying to incorporate more raw foods into my diet lately, and I started out just with making a few new raw dishes here and there to improve my diet. Right away I noticed a HUGE difference though, between the way I felt when I ate those versus when I ate even "healthy" cooked food.

My goal right now is raw except for condiments and sprouted breads. It has only been a couple of days, but I feel really great for the most part. This started as kind of an experiment. I wanted to try it out for a month or two just to see how I felt, but already I'm feeling like I can't imagine going back to my old way of eating.

So anyway, hi.
#84 of 145 Old 10-25-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerelyGod View Post

So anyway, hi.
Hi! And welcome!

OK everyone, I just found another deliciously addictive green for my green smoothies!!!! Sunflower sprouts!!! Soooo good, and easy to blend.

#85 of 145 Old 10-26-2007, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Hey all! Glad you found us MerelyGod. Hopefully you will find some interesting info here.

I have stopped my smoothie feast and have been feeling bleh. Things are going okay...but not great. Recently a friend suggested that I may be getting too MUCH fiber. Honestly? I didn't think that was even possible. V. Boutenko says that even at 100% you generally don't get enough. However, the friend who is an ND and is raw incidentally said several things that make sense. I am now staying at about 90% and keeping it as low fiber as possible. I'll continue to do 2 smoothies a day along with my other raw foods, but I won't do any more flax crackers, and will stay away from the really high fiber foods. I will start juicing to remove the fiber so I can get more greens. I will also be inroducing cooked potatoes and maybe a grain (non-gluten) on a regular basis. If my symptom disappears and I regain full health I'll know.

I have celiac disease. I have had overt symptoms for about 15 years. I did EAT to Live ad felt good, but not great-however that was before I removed gluten. The only time I had no symptoms was doing the SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet) IT required more cooking and it utilizes dairy and meat. I don't want/can't go back there as I don't want meat and ds can't handle raw milk which I am willing to do. We'll see if the low fiber approach works! I don't think it's a necessary thing for the general public, but I have had alot of gut damage which clearly isn't resolved.

It's funny-I have been so against juicing and here I am Ah well, I'm listening to Abraham's newest book and clearly this info came for a reason.
#86 of 145 Old 10-26-2007, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Oh- is anyone else doing the next raw summit?
#87 of 145 Old 10-26-2007, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have been non-existant since I first posted on this thread, sorry. Part of it is because I abandoned Raw for a short while. Needless to say, I am back, and realize at least high raw is what I feel good at. More details about my journey later.
I still need to go and read through all the posts, but I wanted to share this little "yea moment" with you all.
I am the only one in the family who eats raw. My dh thinks I am crazy, kiddos think I just really like salad, and being healthy, so not so bad. They are used to me making "healthy" stuff for them to try, which is great!
Well, I made the raw ice cream from some website, can't remember now, and EVERYONE LOVED IT!!!! I am so excited! They have also had the avocado chocolate pudding and loved that too.
Slowly I am getting them to eat healthier.
Thanks for sharing with me.
That's great! Isn't it cool when you find those yummy things? I cracked up when we went to a halloween gathering and all the kids were yelling, "candy!" and my kids were looking around like they were crazy. They couldn't find their "candy" which is just date rolls! As far as they are concerned that is candy, end of story. They have never been able to eat the "regular" stuff. It gave me great (secret) pleasure!
#88 of 145 Old 10-26-2007, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
firefaery, I am sorry you aren't feeliing so good right now. I honestly does sound like too much fibre to me too. FWIW, I think juicing is a very smart thing to do. As you may know, Aajonus does not recommend raw veggies at all, obvioulsy because of the raw meat angle -- makes eating meat almost impossible, but also because raw veggies are pretty indigestible for humans. It takes so much longer to digest raw veggies than raw animal foods, which is why he always recommends eating a salad as the last meal of the day, so you have all night to work on digesting it. Given your gut issues, this is more of an issue than it would otherwise be. Would you be open to trying juice made from 80% celery, with the remainder as parsley and cucmber or zuchinni? You could have a a a little carrot to taste if you like. And see how that feels to you? He also says that some people need cooked starch, so incorporating some cooked potato is a good idea, but please eat it with some raw fat, avacado would work, as I doubt you are doing raw butter.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#89 of 145 Old 10-26-2007, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, I made the raw ice cream from some website, can't remember now, and EVERYONE LOVED IT!!!! I am so excited!
Our family is big into raw ice cream too. I am not sure if you do raw dairy (probably not). But my ice cream made with raw cream, raw eggs and raw unheated honey is amazing. If you add some papaya it tates just like French vanilla. DS, who won't eat papaya was totally fooled.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#90 of 145 Old 10-26-2007, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I actually will use raw butter...little one doesn't seem to have an issue with that. I won't juice parsley-I have low supply issues and parsley isn't going to help that! I'd be happy to do the rest.

I've been reading his things quite a bit lately...I should pm you to discuss-or start a thread out of the veg section as I have several questions on the practice in general.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page