RAWctober! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 145 Old 10-31-2007, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighteyed View Post

The "Raw Summit 2" begins at 8:00 PM Eastern Standard Time on Thursday, November 15th 2007

Is this incorrect? Thanks!
That's what mine says, too.

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 145 Old 10-31-2007, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Nope...that's when it starts. I don't know what the 29th was about. The first email I got said that it started October 29th. I clearly either read it wrong or they changed their collective minds...I'm voting for them...

Weight shouldn't be a concern. You may want to check you caloric intake just to give yourself some reassurance. As Calynde said it's often normal to lose a couple of pounds. Most docs classify this as unhealthy body tissue. It is then gained right back in the form of HEALTHY tissue. Weight will jujst about always (in the absence of extreme imbalance or sickness) normalize on raw.
#123 of 145 Old 10-31-2007, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Okay-I just went back to look at the first email which says in it's title "Second Raw Summit beginning October 29th" Weird. At least I'm not TOTALLY crazy. This time.
#124 of 145 Old 10-31-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Hee hee! No problem...there is no gluten in the grass....there is no protein in the grass. You only get gluten when it matures into grain. Wheatgrass has been shown across the board to be a non-issue for celiacs. In fact, Jordan Rubins superfood which contains barleygrass and wheatgrass is certified gluten free. Hope that helps!
:
Also, about the weight issue- I am the same way. I found online though that if your weight doesn't stabilize and you keep losing and are really worried, to up your intake of raw nuts and fruits. In fact, they warn new raw fooders not to eat too many nuts and fruits if you can't afford to gain weight.
#125 of 145 Old 10-31-2007, 03:08 PM

I plugged in yesterday's intake on Fitday and I only was at about 1400 calories, and that was WITH a Larabar. Guess I better up the calories a bit. Thanks for the insight.

I want to be healthy, but not too skinny. Don't want to load up on cancer-causing, heart disease-causing, diabetes-causing crap just to keep my bod, you know?

Off now to buy some more avocados . . .
#126 of 145 Old 10-31-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witch's mom View Post

Off now to buy some more avocados . . .
And then after you eat those avocados, plug it into fitday and see what your fat percentage is!! I remember listing like half an avocado (in my salad), a tablespoon of olive oil, and a small handful of nuts, and I was waaaaaay over my daily recommended fat intake. I was wondering what the *average* person's pie chart looks like!

Adding more calories might be as simple as an extra banana or other piece of fruit in your morning smoothie and maybe another snack mid-day.

Today, for breakfast I had:

2 bananas
2 persimmons
1 clementine
2 handfuls miners lettuce (mache)
1 bunch parsley

lunch:
2 pears
big handful red seeded grapes
2 dates
handful raisins
a few chopped pecans
almond milk

snack: one clementine
fresh apple juice

dinner:
veg lentil soup (cooked)
big green salad with half an avocado

This is not entirely representative, as I normally have more salady things rather than fruit for lunch, but today I used what I had on hand. Just in case some kind of a comparison would be helpful. : Also, my trend is toward more green things and a bit less fruit...although that's not at all evident in the above example.

#127 of 145 Old 10-31-2007, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Ditto that. Another 12 ounce juice could, in theory get you there. Fats are important to have in your diet, but you need a balance. It isn't necessary to go nuts with them (no pun intended!) because more calories could just be a fruit salad or a green smoothie.

If you'd like feel free to post what you ate yesterday.
#128 of 145 Old 10-31-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calynde View Post
:

One of the health food stores I worked in had a juice bar and I would always sip on the bits of leftover wheatgrass throughout the day, until at one point I was up to 3-4 oz. a day. And despite only ever drinking it during the day, I was ALWAYS up at night. I think I only slept around 5 hours a night back then...and it was very convenient because I was a college student....so I had a few good extra hours of study time each day!

That's awesome!! Wish I had known about juicing in college.

A friend of mine was concerned about me ttc since she thought I didn't eat enough fat. I checked out fitday and was astonished at the amt. I was eating! I am also a thinner person but work out a lot so I have some muscle. Could not live with exercise!!

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
#129 of 145 Old 10-31-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryeb View Post
I am also a thinner person but work out a lot so I have some muscle. Could not live with exercise!!
I would be interested to hear what you (and others!) do for working out, and what you might consider to be " a lot". I'm trying so hard to get into the exercise groove. : Does this sound OK?

Here is my typical plan:
1 hour a.m. yoga (3-4 times a week)
1-2 hours walking through the forest with ds (rain or shine!) (4 times a week)
15 minutes rebounding with hand weights (3-4 times a week)

I definitely feel better, but I'm not sure if I should be doing more cardio stuff. I've always focused on our long walks, because I want the fresh air and sunshine just as much as the exercise.

#130 of 145 Old 10-31-2007, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

The only exercise I do is functional. I use the CrossFit system www.crossfit.com There is no strict cardio...every once in a while I'll do 2000 meters on a rower or sprint 400 meters as part of a workout. The idea is workouts that mimic life.

I workout about 5 days a week for however long the workout takes me. IF it's for time then it is usually quicker than workouts for reps.

I love olympic lifting and I can very honestly say that being raw helps my load and intensity.

If you feel drawn to more walks I would definitely say go for it!
#131 of 145 Old 10-31-2007, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm super excited to find this thread!!! Geez, do you think there needs to be a RAW subforum?!!

Anyways, I'm transitioning right now from SAD to RAW, my cousin has been raw for many years, my aunt is fighting cancer via raw diet, and I hope to remove ADHD symptoms from my son via raw diet.

Happy Halloween!

Andrea Johnson

Andi - roller derby, slave to the hoop, birth junkie, lover of love, single mama of 4
#132 of 145 Old 11-01-2007, 02:33 AM

I looove yoga. Used to teach. Everyday I do a bit, but it's just really for length, breathing, and sanity. Before we moved I took a class once a week, so hopefully will get back into that. Once a week I train with a pilates teacher for an hour. At home I have a reformer and work out on my own for at least 30 min. daily. I also walk outside almost 1 hr./day, taking walks with ds or by myself on the beach. That is amazing to me, the fresh air is something I am really grateful for. Writing it out, it doesn't sound like a lot to me, but it's all I have time for at the moment. Walking in the forest sounds lovely, I would be doing that if there was one nearby! For me working out is fun, so if you are enjoying your walks and yoga, sounds great to me.

Also want to say hello to the newer people stopping by to say hi! Mary

#133 of 145 Old 11-01-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post

I love olympic lifting and I can very honestly say that being raw helps my load and intensity.
Wow, lifting...that sounds impressive. I see myself as being rather "delicate"...I'm definitely of the yoga/tai chi variety. Having said that, I live in a place where people walk *a lot*, often with heavy grocery bags in each arm and keeping up with small children. Talk about workout=life!

Mary...I looooooove yoga, and after years of doing it have finally found my biggest inspiration in Shiva Rea's style. I love the beautiful flow of it and how she incorporates dance in the practice. It just does it for me in a big way! And it's just challenging enough.

We also love our forest walks...we learn so much there.

#134 of 145 Old 11-01-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson45 View Post
I'm super excited to find this thread!!! Geez, do you think there needs to be a RAW subforum?!!
Hi Andrea...welcome!

#135 of 145 Old 11-01-2007, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

It's just what I'm drawn to. Prior to having kids I was a professional dancer and acrobat. I danced for a company as well as performed with several circuses. I love strength training. Actually my dh is a personal trainer-so I do get some motivation there. The things we do are very familiar to me. THe CrossFit system combines olympic lifting, martial arts and gymnastics. It's a ton of fun do it doesn't feel terribly difficult.
#136 of 145 Old 11-01-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
THe CrossFit system combines olympic lifting, martial arts and gymnastics. It's a ton of fun do it doesn't feel terribly difficult.
Yeah, the website says it can easily be adapted to anyone's level...including the elderly. There were just so many photos there of burly guys in fatigues.

How awesome to have a dh that is a personal trainer! Wowsa, how I would love that kind of support.

#137 of 145 Old 11-01-2007, 12:47 PM

Still eating about 50/50 ... it's hard because I have to prepare shared meals, and not everyone wants raw. I might just have to accept a 50/50 balance for now .
#138 of 145 Old 11-01-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
Still eating about 50/50 ... it's hard because I have to prepare shared meals, and not everyone wants raw. I might just have to accept a 50/50 balance for now .
I still prepare cooked meals for ds and dh. Eating raw is easy for me in the morning...I've been having smoothies for breakfast for about 6 years! Dh isn't home for lunch, so I give ds leftovers from the last night's dinner (today it was broccoli soup for example) and then I have something raw. We all eat the same together at night...something cooked veg and a BIG salad. You can definitely increase at least *your* raw if you get good at meal planning!

And although it takes a bit of time, the good example really does start to wear off on them. My dh asks for raw pretty often now, and ds has started to eat way more raw things, too. Neither one of them eats anything that could be classified as "junk". Natalia Rose has what I think is a very doable raw/cooked approach for kids/families, in case you haven't checked that out yet.

And 50% is an awesome start! Shazzie says in her book that eating at least 50% raw at each meal is enough to avoid the negative immune response...so it's not nothing!

#139 of 145 Old 11-01-2007, 01:17 PM

I'd like to try adding more raw foods to my diet...I eat almost 100% cooked now with the exception of an apple a day. I'm not interested in going high-percentage raw, just in adding more raw to my diet. Maybe if I explain where I'm at now and what I'm thinking, someone can give me some suggestions on where to start.

Right now I eat quite a lot of pastured meat (8-16 oz a day), lots of GF grains, legumes, and potatoes, one piece of fruit a day, and some veggies. My nursling has many food intolerances and food chemical sensitivities so I'm very limited in the foods I can do, particularly in the fruits and veggies (I can do pears, golden delicious apples, cabbage, brussel sprouts, celery, parsley, bean sprouts, rutabagas, green beans, leeks, green onions, peas, and small amounts of carrots, asparagas, kale, corn, sweet potato, and pumpkin/buttnernut squash). I'm planning on weaning her in the next 2-3 months so I'll have a lot more flexibility in foods after that. Oh, and I'm pregnant, so I don't want to make any drastic changes. I have IBS, although sometimes I'm perfectly fine and my digestion is great for weeks...I haven't been able to pinpoint any foods that cause problems other than rice, which I've eliminated from my diet for a while. I've tried about everything to heal it with limited success, so maybe juicing or something would be the answer. I've tried several different diets in the past (Specific Carbohydrate Diet, very low carb candida diet) and I feel best when I eat a fair amount of pastured meat and lots of fat (right now about 50% of my calories come from ghee), and some GF grains.

I was thinking about just adding some juices or blended salads to my diet, although I don't have a juicer and can't afford to get one. I do have a Vita Mix...could I just blend up the veggies and squeeze as much of the liquid out as possible? What veggies are good to use? I need to use cheaper ones as much as possible as our budget is pretty tight. I personally don't think a lot of fruit is good but I'll eat some. Oh, and once DD is weaned I'll start eating raw eggs and dairy again.

This is probably a tough assignment...I am open to suggestions, though!
#140 of 145 Old 11-01-2007, 03:27 PM

Hi everybody. Thanks for the insight about keeping the weight up. I did better yesterday on calories--1800. It included over 40 grams of fat, though, between the avocado and the larabar! I was a little light on fruit yesterday morning, though. If I can just squeeze in one more serving of fruit, that would help. I also suspect that I may be in a bit of that detoxing phase someone described, where the "bad" weight is coming off before "good" weight comes back on and stabilizes.

Doing huge fruit/green smoothies every morning (blackberries, banana, greens, flax seeds), plus apples and grapes throughout the morning. Lunch is a big salad with lots of raw veggies, often with avocado; and soup (beans and veggies) or a veggie sandwich (on sprouted wheat). Dinner is another big salad with lots of raw veggies, and something else cooked: tofu and steamed veggies, bean burrito or taco, pasta with raw pesto. Often I snack mid-afternoon on nuts and dried fruit (or a Larabar).

Last night I had one fun-size Kit Kat bar. Halloween, you know . . .

Looking forward to getting my juicer.
#141 of 145 Old 11-03-2007, 12:52 AM

We've been doing so-so. We started eating less raw and ore cooked there for a bit. Not sure why really. DH is gone for 3 weeks so I'm using this time to get back on track and figure out more recipes for variety. Our problem is how quickly I detox in comparison to him. I'm home all day long so I can snack and do juices and what not all day. I got to the more simple desires a lot faster than he did. So he'd get home from work and want some prepared whereas I was set on a piece of fruit or veggie. These last couple days I've been living on cucumber, tomato, and avocado salad. I just chop those up and then squirt some oil and vinegar dressing on it. We make our own dressing so it's got some spices in it. Sooo delicious! I ate it three different times yesterday. I wish I had some of the hot sauce my MIL makes hers with. So good with just the right amount of bite. I think I am/was needing the fat. I ate a ton yesterday. I am tempted to go make some more. I'll need to get more avocados tomorrow. I have one left. I had 5 yesterday (one I cut open too soon though so it was hard and not ripe so it got tossed ).

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#142 of 145 Old 11-03-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I was thinking about just adding some juices or blended salads to my diet, although I don't have a juicer and can't afford to get one.
You could just start with some green smoothies...they're cheap and easy and they even taste good! The greens can be spinach, parsley, celery, mint, lettuces, kale...anything. If you don't want a lot of fruit, you could just add a minimum to make the greens taste nice, then add water and blend! I often add a bit of cucumber as well. More greens in the diet can make all the difference for some people.

Good luck!

#143 of 145 Old 11-03-2007, 08:29 PM

A November/December thread has been started! Come on over!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...=1#post9623582
#144 of 145 Old 11-04-2007, 01:34 AM

Hi everyone! Loving this thread as usual...... got a quick question though..... My LO is ready to start some baby food and I was wondering about raw? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
#145 of 145 Old 11-04-2007, 02:45 AM

Caedmyn, I think green smoothies would be perfect, as calynde already said. Good advice there! You could just do whatever fruit you would eat for the day with the greens and if you wanted to add something like coconut oil/butter for fats, you could do that. Or blended salad like you suggested, more of a savory taste. Good luck!! Mary

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page