Share your Thanksgiving tradition - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-19-2007, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Am trying to get some things in order for this yrs' T-day and am interested in what everyone's traditions are (old ones and maybe any new ones you're thinking of trying).
I'll start...we called & adopted our turkey for this yr & am hoping to get Feather's info so we can put her(?) picture as our centerpiece on our table this yr.

I would like to try a new recipe for a chowder type of soup as our main meal this yr and don't know if I want to put it into a bread bowl or carve out the inside of a pumpkin to serve it from...has anyone done this and what kind of soup did you serve? I was thinking of a potato chowder soup, but don't have a recipe as of yet.

Will have green beans & mashed potatoes (maybe with garlic this yr), corn & braided breadsticks with artichoke dip. We also have sparkling apple cider as beverage. So that's ours in a nutshell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 10-20-2007, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I still have a turkey on my table for non-veg family members. Vegetarian chili, baked and served in a pumpkin. Then the usual things, green beans with french fried onions, mashed potatoes, candied yams, gravy and stuffing. I make the stuffing separately from the Turkey.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#3 of 22 Old 10-26-2007, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The rest of the menu varies, but we always make a big dish of potatoes and turnips cut into bite-sized pieces and baked (covered) with gobs of olive oil, garlic, and herbs. It works best if you mix the garlic and herbs into the oil and spread some of this mixture all over the inside of the casserole dish, put in a layer of potatoes and turnips, drizzle them with oil, then another layer, etc., finishing with a lot of the garlic and herbs on top so the flavor drips down. YUM! YUM! It's good with nutritional yeast flakes (which add protein) or without. Any bread you're eating will not need butter because you can use it to sop up excess olive oil.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#4 of 22 Old 10-26-2007, 04:12 PM

The past 3 Thanksgivings I've been vegetarian and it's been tofurkey with all the fixin's- mashed potatoes, stuffing, pie, yams, etc.... This year we are going to have an early tofurkey Tgiving while my sister is in town, and then on thanksgiving DAY I want to make a pure indigenous meal (all foods from the Americas). I would like to start that as my new tradition and do something different every year. We can have tofurkey some other time!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#5 of 22 Old 10-26-2007, 08:10 PM

We adopt a turkey here too It's a great tradition.

We always go somewhere else for Thanksgiving, when it's my in-laws house I bring my own food because they won't even set aside some veggies for me before they put butter on them. Usually it's stuffed squash. But this year we are going to my parent's house in California so my mom will make me Tofurkey and special fixings

I'm addicted to pumpkin pie so I make a vegan one.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#6 of 22 Old 10-27-2007, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty View Post
I bring my own food because they won't even set aside some veggies for me before they put butter on them.
Ohh, I'm sorry to hear that. (maybe they don't know or think about it being dairy therefore an animal product?) Could you bring some Earth Balance & see if they would try that on the veggies instead?
#7 of 22 Old 10-27-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie anne View Post
(maybe they don't know or think about it being dairy therefore an animal product?) Could you bring some Earth Balance & see if they would try that on the veggies instead?
I have specifically asked, very kindly, before if they could set some aside without butter because I don't eat it but they tend to always "forget" to do that. I have brought Earth Balance before but no one else will try it. So it's just easier bringing my own. Not a big deal really, but it will be nice not to have to do that this year!

#8 of 22 Old 10-27-2007, 04:34 PM

We always have tofurky (I was so excited to see it in the hfs yesterday!!), mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, cranberry sauce, dressing and bread (usually pumpkin). I make cherry pie for dessert. This is our first year being vegan, so I'm going to try to find a good vegan pumpkin pie recipe. I used to make one with sweetened condensed milk rather than evaporated milk. I don't really care for pumpkin pie, but my extended family does and I need to make it great.

We're going to adopt a turkey this year too. The boys are really excited!
#9 of 22 Old 10-27-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 View Post
This is our first year being vegan, so I'm going to try to find a good vegan pumpkin pie recipe.
I did my own sort of pumpkin pie "bake off" by myself last year because I adore pumpkin pie and this one was the winner... make it a day ahead because it tastes soooo much better the next day or even the day after. And get some soy whipped cream. Yummmmm.

Vegan Pumpkin Pie

1 can (16 ounces) pureed pumpkin

1/2 cup maple syrup

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1 teaspoon ground allspice

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1 package (10-12 ounces) silken/soft tofu (do not substitute with other tofu, it doesn't come out nearly as good)

1 9-in unbaked vegan pie shell

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 F. Blend all the ingrediants together well in a food processor or mixer until nice and smooth. Pour mixture into the unbaked pie shell and bake for 15 minutes. Lower heat to 350 F and bake for one hour. Cool.

#10 of 22 Old 10-27-2007, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 View Post
We always have tofurky (I was so excited to see it in the hfs yesterday!!), mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, cranberry sauce, dressing and bread (usually pumpkin). I make cherry pie for dessert. This is our first year being vegan, so I'm going to try to find a good vegan pumpkin pie recipe. I used to make one with sweetened condensed milk rather than evaporated milk. I don't really care for pumpkin pie, but my extended family does and I need to make it great.

We're going to adopt a turkey this year too. The boys are really excited!
If I can make a sweetened condensed milk subtitute out of powdered milk and sugar I'm sure you can make one out of powdered soy milk and sugar. Look in the urban dairy section of hillbillyhousewife's recipes.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#11 of 22 Old 10-28-2007, 02:09 AM

My friend brought a turkey to my house the other day (scooped him up alongside a highway, they think he fell off a transport truck bound for slaughter). He got a nice meal, shade and water while she ran her errands in town, and then sent on to an animal sanctuary.
#12 of 22 Old 10-29-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
then on thanksgiving DAY I want to make a pure indigenous meal (all foods from the Americas). I would like to start that as my new tradition and do something different every year.
I absolutely love this idea! And I want to steal it!! What kinds of things are you thinking of having?

There was a feature a few years ago in Cooking Light--it was about Robert Redford's Sundance Resort in Utah. The new chef that took over changed the menu to incorporate native American foods. There were a bunch of great recipes. My favorite was for a bean stew--it was OMG good. I adapted it a bit & will post the recipe later.

I am not sure what we are doing for Thanksgiving yet, but I may have to have a small turkey if my inlaws come, even though it makes me gag.

Am looking forward to more Veg. ideas for the big day!
#13 of 22 Old 10-29-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueeTheBean View Post
I absolutely love this idea! And I want to steal it!! What kinds of things are you thinking of having?

There was a feature a few years ago in Cooking Light--it was about Robert Redford's Sundance Resort in Utah. The new chef that took over changed the menu to incorporate native American foods. There were a bunch of great recipes. My favorite was for a bean stew--it was OMG good. I adapted it a bit & will post the recipe later.

I am not sure what we are doing for Thanksgiving yet, but I may have to have a small turkey if my inlaws come, even though it makes me gag.

Am looking forward to more Veg. ideas for the big day!
For the main dish I am going to do a stuffed squash with wild rice, pine nuts and cranberries. Then reg sides: mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie (will have to use soy... but oh well), cranberry sauce, corn bread, etc...

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#14 of 22 Old 10-30-2007, 02:10 AM

I recently made a pumpkin soup I am thinking about incorporating into our thanksgiving meal...

Here is the brief recipe:

take the top off of a 4.5-5.5 lb pumpkin and de-seed

Fill with 1/3 cup of long-grained rice, 2 shallots or a small onion chopped, 2 cloves of garlic minced, 2 T (or one fresh sprig) thyme, 1 T (or one fresh sprig) rosemary, 1 t (or 1 T fresh) parsley chopped, 1/2 cup of soy creamer or plain soy milk, and the rest of the way with veg broth or water, and a bit of salt and pepper

Cover with lid and loosely wrap in foil then cook at 350 for about 2.5 hours

Serve right from the pumpkin (scoop out pumpkin as you scoop out the rest of the soup)

Mine turned into more of a stew and I stirred in some vegan parmesan before I served it, but it was delicious and simple (and looked so elegant in the pumpkin!)

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#15 of 22 Old 10-30-2007, 10:51 AM

I took a cute picture at a festival last month of my boys with a giant, friendly turkey. I thought that picture would make a good centerpiece turkey for the table

This is our first Tgiving away from our families, as we recently moved out of town. So I'm excited about planning our own menu this year with all our favorites. I might keep up my moms tradition of writing the blessings we're giving thanks for that year on a pumpkin placemat, she pulls out the old ones every year and we look through them and usually laugh. I would roll my eyes when I was younger but now that I have a family I'm much more sentimental!

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#16 of 22 Old 10-30-2007, 10:58 AM

This year I'm making sweet potato enchiladas. They were very tasty!!! Can be made vegan by leaving off cheese or subbing soy cheese.
#17 of 22 Old 10-30-2007, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

The pumpkin soup and the rice-stuffed squash sound delicious! THanks for the ideas.

Regarding the blessings idea, what our family has done for the last few years is have everyone draw an outline of their hand and cut that out & on each finger, write something they're thankful for for the year (the 5 most important things that come to mind). It's so cute to see the littlest hands with the grandparents' hands and emotional as everyone reads theirs at the meal table. In the palm area, we write the year and have saved them.
#18 of 22 Old 11-01-2007, 04:31 PM

There is a veggie menu in this month's issue of Gourmet. It has a roasted vegetable stew served in a big pumpkin that looks to die for. I wish I had a house sized for entertaining so I could make it!

love.gif

#19 of 22 Old 11-02-2007, 01:18 AM

Another Turkey Adopter here.
#20 of 22 Old 11-02-2007, 12:38 PM

We make Vegetable & Seitan Pot Pie for thanksgiving. It is WONDERFUL. Here's the recipe, from vegweb.com:

Vegetable-Seitan Pot Pie

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

two 9-inch pie crusts (one for the top, one for the bottom - I believe Mrs. Smith's frozen crusts are the only store-made ones without lard)
1 tablespoon margarine
1 small onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 8-ounce package seitan , cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 envelope vegetarian brown gravy mix (or make your own, about 1 cup)
1/2 teaspoon rosemary, ground in a mortar and pestle

Directions:

(1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

(2) Press one of the pie crusts into a pie pan, flute the edges, poke holes in the bottom and pre-bake for about 10 minutes.

(3) Melt the margarine in a medium saucepan, over medium heat. Add the onions, celery and carrots and cook until the onions are soft, about 10 minutes. (If you decide to use oil instead of margarine, sprinkle the vegetables with a pinch of salt while they are cooking.) Add the peas, corn and seitan, stir and remove from the heat.

(4) As the vegetables are cooking, prepare the gravy as directed on the package, and add the rosemary. (You might be able to find gravy that already has rosemary in it, which is ideal. You'd obviously not need to add any rosemary to that.)

(5) When the gravy is done, pour it over the vegetables and seitan. Pour this mixture into the pie crust. Place the other pie crust atop the pie, cut off any crust that hangs over the edge and press the edge into the edge of the bottom crust. Cut vents in the top crust and bake for 30 minutes, or until the top crust is browned (or until the gravy starts to bubble up).

Serves: 6

Preparation time: 1 hour
#21 of 22 Old 11-02-2007, 01:18 PM

Wow that seitan pot pie sounds AWESOME. I'm totally trying that soon.

#22 of 22 Old 11-04-2007, 06:13 PM

We do a vegetarian Thanksgiving the night before--then we go to IL's for actual Thanksgiving. That way, we have plenty of the sides and things we like at home for leftovers.

I usually make a special entree, like vegetable pot pies or stuffed portabello's, plus a fancy mixed veg with cranberrys and nuts, mashed potatoes, vegetarian stuffing, mushroom gravy, and a fancy pumpkin ginger pie that I like. (It is not particularly natural...it's pumpkin puree, extra dried ginger powder, and cool whip in a graham cracker crust...it is really delicious.)

I like that recipe for seitan veggie pot pies...that would be a nice addition this year.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page