Eggplant recipe without frying? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-02-2007, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with eggplant that doesn't involve frying it? I need something very simple that doesn't involve a lot of steps like salting the eggplant, rinsing it, draining it, frying it and then baking it. I'm not vegetarian but I thought you guys would have some suggestions. I'm not a very good cook and don't have a lot of time, so something simple!

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 11-02-2007, 03:30 PM

Does sauteeing count?

There's a great recipe in Alternative Vegan that I make all the time. Basically, you dice it up, and sautee it with a bunch of Indian spices, plus some cinnamon, and let it cook until it gets soft. Let me know if you want the recipe.
#3 of 18 Old 11-02-2007, 04:05 PM

I cut it up into big (3/4 - 1 inch chunks), along with similar size chunks of zucchini, toss with olive oil and kosher salt, and roast at 450 for about 20 min or until soft and smooshy, stirring occasionally. Towards the end, add a can of diced tomatoes (or use fresh). Make some pasta like penne. Toss the pasta with the veggies, and sprinkle with some parmesan if you like. I bet it would be good with roasted red pepper or sun-dried tomato too.
#4 of 18 Old 11-02-2007, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Baba Ganoush? (sp?)

I bake the eggplant until mushy, slice in half and salt then let the juices drain for about 10 minutes. remove skin and beat the pulp with a fork in a bowl with a tbs or so of tahini, some lemon juice, salt, pepper and a clove of crushed garlic. It's yummy on toast, pita, crackers.
#5 of 18 Old 11-02-2007, 04:38 PM

Grilled, roasted, curried, stewed, ratatouille, tomato sauce,

My favorite?

steamed in a bamboo steamer in long thin strips and served in a ginger garlic soy sauce, thickened with brown sugar.

I love love love this served with brown rice.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#6 of 18 Old 11-02-2007, 05:09 PM

I have always liked to make Rachael Ray's Eggplant Curry:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._20022,00.html

Very quick and tasty!

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#7 of 18 Old 11-02-2007, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants View Post
Does sauteeing count?

There's a great recipe in Alternative Vegan that I make all the time. Basically, you dice it up, and sautee it with a bunch of Indian spices, plus some cinnamon, and let it cook until it gets soft. Let me know if you want the recipe.
That sounds good. I think the cinnamon would be cool. It sounds fairly quick, too.

The Racheal Ray one sounds perfect, too. I have most of that on-hand.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#8 of 18 Old 11-02-2007, 06:25 PM

Laurel's Kitchen has an eggplant parm recipe that doesn't involve frying.

It delicious! Just slice the egg plant thinly, dredge in salted flour, egg, then breadcrumbs with herbs. Layer with tomato sauce & parm, cover and bake. Remove cover, sprinkle on mozz. and eat.
#9 of 18 Old 11-02-2007, 07:11 PM

Imam Bayaldi is great--it's an easy stuffed eggplant recipe. You can make it with baby eggplant or regular. I add sliced mushrooms to mine.

http://www.bigoven.com/126926_Stuffe...i)_recipe.html
#10 of 18 Old 11-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Banned

subbing to write down later!
#11 of 18 Old 11-02-2007, 07:44 PM

I like the one in the LLL Whole Foods Cookbook (and I often use zucchini in place of eggplant)

"Eggplant Custard Bake" Make a custard mix (1/2c milk per egg, and I use 2 or 3 eggs), add salt and pepper and sliced vegetable, in a large, shallow casserole. Bake this for half an hour at about 350F till it's firm.
Meanwhile, sautee in a frying pan some onion slices and butter. I also throw in grated carrot sometimes, and maybe garlic. Season with oregano and/or basil. Add about 2 c. tomato sauce or equivalent fresh chopped tomato. Grate some cheese and set aside. When the custard is set, spread tomato sauce over it, sprinkle with cheese and put it back in the oven until the cheese is melted.

Yum!
#12 of 18 Old 11-02-2007, 09:28 PM

I almost forgot about another really good way to make it, broiled.

Here is an excellent recipe, although I haven't made it in a while

Thai Broiled Eggplant

1 lg eggplant
2 garlic cloves minced
1 1/2 tbs soy sauce

Sauce:
2 tbs chopped cilantro
1 tbs fresh lime juice
1/4 cup coconut milk
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp minced chile
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp peanut butter

Preheat broiler. Cut the eggplant into 1/2 inch thick slices, peeling the end slices to remove any tough skin. Score the eggplant slices in a diamond pattern and lay on a single layer on broiling pan. Combine garlic and soy sauce and pour over the eggplant, using a spoon to get some into the scored area. Broil about 4 minutes on each side.

Combine the sauce ingredients and drizzle the pan juices and sauce over the eggplant slices.

This is excellent served with rice.

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#13 of 18 Old 11-02-2007, 09:47 PM

I make eggplant parm and I NEVER fry it. I always bake it. Dredge in egg and flour (if you do eggs) and bake in oven. Then layer with your cheese and sauce in casserole and bake again til cheese melts. I can fish out the recipe if you want it...
#14 of 18 Old 11-02-2007, 11:54 PM

I just dip slices in plain soy milk and breadcrumbs (mixed in food processor with garlic, Italian seasoning, nut. yeast and salt) and bake for 15 minutes at 400, then flip and bake for another 15.
#15 of 18 Old 11-02-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post
I just dip slices in plain soy milk and breadcrumbs (mixed in food processor with garlic, Italian seasoning, nut. yeast and salt) and bake for 15 minutes at 400, then flip and bake for another 15.
I do something similiar. Eggplant is one of the few veggies my DS will eat. sometimes he dips it in tomato sauce and sometimes it has melted mozz on it.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#16 of 18 Old 11-03-2007, 11:10 AM

I've always used it stews and pastas. If you don't want the peel, or if the peel is not tender, peel it, and cut into chucnks. You can lightly sautee, but you don't have to. Just add it to the broth and let cook. It's delish. But a bad eggplant can never be made tasty, imo. Start with a good eggplant that is not massive. I think a problem is that people let eggplants grow too big.. or look for the largest one at the market, hence the reason you see it so much in fried foods loaded down with tons of cheese.
#17 of 18 Old 11-03-2007, 11:58 AM

I just made a really good eggplant recipe this week. I baked the eggplant slices for 10 minutes on each side at 400*F, then layered the slices with ricotta cheese, dried basil and spaghetti sauce like you're making lasagna and then topped with mozarella and baked at 375 for 30 minutes. It was really good! The only thing I'd probably change is to mix in an egg or two into the ricotta to "set" it a bit more.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#18 of 18 Old 11-03-2007, 09:54 PM

I slice it about 1/2 inch thick. Run it under water to get it slightly wet. I then coat it in shake-n-bake and bake it on a cookie sheet.

Another thing I do is to chop it up in cubes, cube up a couple apples and tomatoes. Bake it together (you can add what ever spices you want). Top with crushed cashews. Bake until everything is soft but not mushy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page