Snacks for 4 year olds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-06-2007, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My four year old twins are suddenly hungry ALL the time lately. No joke. For the last couple months, it doesn't matter if they just ate a meal, within 20 minutes they're complaining of being hungry. They prefer to graze, which they don't have the option of doing in the morning as dh takes them to preschool. I think I'm going to buy a 6 cup muffin tin for each boy and fill with their own little snacks to put out on the table for them to eat whenever.

Our eating habits have been less than great the last several months and I want to get back in to healthier things.

Currently, I slice up apples, carrot sticks w/ranch dressing (but this is like one carrot stick at a time because they're learning to like them...more than one is overwhelming), harvest whole wheat crackers (like triscuits). I'm also going to start making muffins more regularly again so I can include that.

What other things are there that are quick (little prep work or cooking) and healthy and kid friendly?
#2 of 15 Old 11-06-2007, 05:45 PM

my 4 yo and my 16 mo both love hummus. I serve it to them with veggies for dipping and also with pita triangles for dipping. My 4 yo also loves grapes, cherry tomatoes, most any fruit, cheese if you aren't vegan, raisins. She also loves to snack on those smooshed fruit strip things (kind of like fruit roll ups, but they are 100% smooshed fruit.....fruitabu is the brand we buy). In the summer she also snacks on cucumbers a lot. And, she loves to make and drink smoothies, plus they are very filling and you can sneak lots of things in them!!!
#3 of 15 Old 11-06-2007, 07:36 PM

If we don't want our son complaining about being hungry in an hour he really needs protein. So, I'd suggest nuts, cubed tofu, edamame, nut butters, bean dips like hummus or black bean dip.
#4 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 03:51 PM

Snack trays are a fav around here w/ my almost 4 yo. Some of the things we like to put in them are fruit, cheese, crackers, cereal pieces, pb & j cut into 4 or 6 pieces, carrots, nuts, tofu chunks, cucumber slices. There is a great thread I can try to dig up about snack trays, if you like, though it isn't veg*n.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#5 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
Snack trays are a fav around here w/ my almost 4 yo. Some of the things we like to put in them are fruit, cheese, crackers, cereal pieces, pb & j cut into 4 or 6 pieces, carrots, nuts, tofu chunks, cucumber slices. There is a great thread I can try to dig up about snack trays, if you like, though it isn't veg*n.
PB&J...that's a good idea! Yeah, if you could dig up the thread, that would be great. Thanks!
#6 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 10:00 PM

We're not 100% vegan, but fairly close. My 4-year-old loves chickpeas straight from the can, edamame, and dried cranberries (warning, fairly high in sugar). We also had a vegan string cheese that was pretty good, I'll see if I can Google for the brand.
#7 of 15 Old 11-08-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 View Post
PB&J...that's a good idea! Yeah, if you could dig up the thread, that would be great. Thanks!
here it is

I just realized that post 172 has a maste list to that point

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#8 of 15 Old 11-08-2007, 06:41 PM

Quick breads -- like pumpkin bread, banana bread, etc.? My kids love these, and the 4yo DS loves to help me make them.

Smoothies/popsicles

You'll get lots of good ideas from the snack tray thread.
#9 of 15 Old 11-08-2007, 10:51 PM

I roast canned chickpeas with a little tamari, lemon juice, and olive oil. I got the idea from E,D,&beV. My son looooves them and calls them "snackable beans." Clementines are good too. My kiddos can peel them all by themselves.
#10 of 15 Old 11-08-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopinknoblue View Post
my 4 yo and my 16 mo both love hummus. I serve it to them with veggies for dipping and also with pita triangles for dipping. My 4 yo also loves grapes, cherry tomatoes, most any fruit, cheese if you aren't vegan, raisins. She also loves to snack on those smooshed fruit strip things (kind of like fruit roll ups, but they are 100% smooshed fruit.....fruitabu is the brand we buy). In the summer she also snacks on cucumbers a lot. And, she loves to make and drink smoothies, plus they are very filling and you can sneak lots of things in them!!!
LOL my one year old is gaga over hummus and pita triangles! Oddly enough he also loves to snack on pomegranate seeds, sunflower seeds, and beans lol
#11 of 15 Old 11-09-2007, 06:57 PM

I found just pomegranate seeds at Trader Joe's last time I went. That would be a quick snack though a little expensive.
#12 of 15 Old 11-09-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Wilmo View Post
I found just pomegranate seeds at Trader Joe's last time I went. That would be a quick snack though a little expensive.
How much are they there? My son loves poms, but I always have to do the seeding myself and my kitchen ends up looking like a murder scene. I wonder if it's around the same price or cheaper to just get it deseeded. I pay $2.50 per pom (on sale) at bi-lo
#13 of 15 Old 11-10-2007, 02:41 AM

My kids are loving Just Tomatoes products (freeze dried fruits and veggies) ..They have loved pomagranates, fruit salad, bananas, and apples!
#14 of 15 Old 11-10-2007, 06:43 PM

I take a very very ripe plaintain, peel and slice it lengthwise and cook in on medium-low heat in coconut oil (butter works too). The plaintain when ripe and cooked is sweet, yummy and very filling. My 4 year old and 15 month old toddler both like plaintain as breakfast or snack.
#15 of 15 Old 11-11-2007, 03:09 PM

I use my 4 year old as leftover cleanup. Mean isn't it?

seriously, he's constantly hungry and will eat anything so whether it's cold baked potatoes or leftover green beans he's happy to eat and I'm happy for him to.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page