Vegetarian Lasagna - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-27-2001, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having company this week, and one of them is vegetarian. I was figuring on making a regular lasagna and a vegetarian one - does anyone have a good recipe I could use? I need to make it for Friday (Nov 30). I believe that he is just "no meat", that eggs, dairy, etc. are okay. HELP!!!!! Thanks.
#2 of 7 Old 11-27-2001, 06:31 PM

I can't find the recipe we "use" but you mix one package frozen/defrosted spinich with a contanier of ricotta cheese, and use that for layering, we also put in a layer of any veggies we have on hand. such as steamed sauted mushrooms/zucchini/carrots/etc.
#3 of 7 Old 11-27-2001, 08:09 PM

I haven't got an exact recipe but the family all eat this :

what i do is chop & fry some onion, a bit of garlic & some grated carrots. Then throw in whatever is in season - grated pumpkin, chopped silver beet, chopped capsicums, chopped mushrooms etc. Fry a bit longer & add a can or so of tomatoes, some mixed herbs ( whatever italiany-type seasoning you like) cook for a while till it's a sauce. Add some tomatoe paste & a tiny touch of sugar to make it richer & more flavoursome.

Then create the lasagne with layers of pasta, tomatoe sauce, bechemal( sp? ) or white sauce until you get to the top of the dish. then you can grate some cheese on the top ( if you eat it ) & bung the whole lot in the oven & cook as for normal lasagne.
#4 of 7 Old 11-27-2001, 11:17 PM

I've made it 2 different ways.
1- as listed above, using spinach and ricotta for layering, then top withsauce, cheese, etc...bake as usual.
2- a somewhat alfredo sauce & vegi mixture for layering. I saute chopped carrots, broccoli, tomatos, spinach, & mushrooms until soft, then stir into a garlicy alfredo sauce, stir in some ricotta to thicken- use this for layering. I don't use red sauce on this one. I do top with cheese and sundried tomatos. It's my favorite of the 2 styles.
#5 of 7 Old 11-29-2001, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. They all sound good. We just might be eating a lot of different lasagne this week!
#6 of 7 Old 12-02-2001, 10:39 AM

what about adding sauteed eggplant? We love veggie lasagna and usually add eggplant cuz it's one of family's favorites!
#7 of 7 Old 12-03-2001, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I did it! I used spinach, yellow and red peppers, onions and mushrooms, along with the sauce and ricotta cheese, and it was good!!! I much preferred it to my regular lasagna (which is also really good lol). Now all I have to do is convince my dh to try it, and then experiment with different veggies.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page