~What's For Dinner?~ January 2008! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 386 Old 01-05-2008, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had home made whole wheat pasta using "flax eggs" to replace the egg in the recipe, with "kind of" home made tomato sauce (it was really a can of crushed tomatoes, a can of diced tomatoes and some herbs that I added in).
#62 of 386 Old 01-05-2008, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

I am making stuffed peppers over sliced potatoes from the vegetarian meat and potatoes cookbook, with collard greens and kale On the side.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#63 of 386 Old 01-05-2008, 11:15 PM

I have been really sick all day. I was finally starving around 3 and I got up and made the Three-Bean Tomato Curry Soup from Vive Le Vegan. We had that with Naan from Trader Joe's. Cooking must have wiped me out because I immediately went and laid back down and just woke up again. Thankfully DH has been watching DS all day as I have just been out of it!

Good soup though, DH really liked it.

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#64 of 386 Old 01-06-2008, 12:32 AM

Feel better Jadzia!

Tuno, RIP. Tonight was the last of it in tuno noodle casserole. Tomorrow begins a week of recipes from The Vegetarian 5 Ingredient Gourmet. Hoping it will be full of yummy things that take little time and cash!

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

#65 of 386 Old 01-06-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanna_Mama View Post
Tomorrow begins a week of recipes from The Vegetarian 5 Ingredient Gourmet. Hoping it will be full of yummy things that take little time and cash!
I'll be looking forward to you posts....always looking for yummy things that require few ingredients and therefore little cash!!
#66 of 386 Old 01-06-2008, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiexto View Post
We had sichuan orange seitan, garlic green beans and steamed rice. It was great!

I made a whole bunch of seitan this afternoon and now have a few ziploc bags in the freezer at-the-ready.
I heart seitan so much, but I've never frozen it. It freezes well? Do you put it in the bag with some of the broth? Do tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I am making stuffed peppers over sliced potatoes from the vegetarian meat and potatoes cookbook, with collard greens and kale On the side.
We had stuffed peppers too, which DH really liked. We were supposed to have roasted root veggies on the side, but I got to nursing the little and they burned. So it was avocado and tomato slices instead.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#67 of 386 Old 01-06-2008, 09:48 AM

I make mine dry-baked, so they're simply these little deflated balls of baked seitan. I slice them thinly, and use them in stir-fries, baked dishes, etc. I find the trick is slicing them - they get a really nice texture.
#68 of 386 Old 01-06-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceane View Post
this sounds really good. I can't get pre-made cajun seasoning here though, do you mind telling me what spices it contains? thanks.
the ingredients say:
Garlic, black peppper, cayenne pepper, oregano, celery salt, paprika, and dried red and green bell pepper
#69 of 386 Old 01-06-2008, 05:16 PM

Today I made cornmeal crusted tofu, chipotle mayo, and coleslaw.

Mama to 3:
#70 of 386 Old 01-06-2008, 05:59 PM

Tonight will be tofu & sweet potato curry from the 5-Ingredient Vegetarian Gourmet. I'll let you know how it is 2Pink. It doesn't look particularly inspiring, but hopefully it will taste fab-o over jasmine rice.

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

#71 of 386 Old 01-06-2008, 07:13 PM

i also made a huge batch of seitan yesterday and froze some. monica, i throw mine in a tupperware covered with the broth, yes.

so last night was chili con carne with zucchini...tonight is either a seitan & mushroom stroganoff with green beans or a roasted gralic soup with great northern beans, carrots and some kind of green, plus garlic bread. i'm not sure yet. whatever's not made tonight will be tomorrow's menu.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#72 of 386 Old 01-06-2008, 09:58 PM

Tonight was leftovers, since we were out much of the day.

Steamed rice, tempeh "bacon" strips (VwaV) and - for me - lots and lots of Sriracha sauce. Or, as we call it, "Rooster sauce".
#73 of 386 Old 01-06-2008, 10:00 PM

I'm making the beanball subs from Veganomicon for dinner tonight.
#74 of 386 Old 01-06-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanna_Mama View Post
Feel better Jadzia!
Thank you! I am still sick today but I think I am over the hump. I had to drag myself out of the house today. It was my mother's 77th birthday and we all went to PF Chang's to celebrate. We ate enough in the afternoon there that we ended up not having any dinner tonight, just a snack.

Quote:
Tomorrow begins a week of recipes from The Vegetarian 5 Ingredient Gourmet. Hoping it will be full of yummy things that take little time and cash!
I love that cookbook.

Definitely try the sweet & savory baked tofu (that has become a staple around here). I also love the Cranberry Cole Slaw, and the Shake & Bake Tofu.

I find that cookbook is great for simple side dishes. Either I pick a few from the cookbook to serve together as a meal or I get a recipe there for a sidedish when I am making a more complicated main dish for dinner.

#75 of 386 Old 01-07-2008, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

DH went snowboarding with his friends then out for drinks and pizza after, so now he is making me boxed shells & chreese.

While he was gone I made some choc. chip cookies from VWAV

#76 of 386 Old 01-08-2008, 01:22 AM

Tonight was leftover curried tofu & sweet potatoes from the 5 Ingredient Veggie Gourmet. To give it some flare (it was very bland last night), DH added a few tablespoons of Patak's mild curry paste. What a difference it made! I don't know if my curry powder was bad, or if 1 tsp (per the recipe) wasn't even close to enough to give this dish any taste or what, but I'd definitely make this again with the Patak's or at least 1 T of curry powder.

#77 of 386 Old 01-08-2008, 01:33 AM

dinner was homemade black bean burgers served with raw cheeses with homemade buns and a salad.

#78 of 386 Old 01-08-2008, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mushroom Stroganoff from The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook...

#79 of 386 Old 01-08-2008, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Mushroom Stroganoff from The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook...
Too funny...we had stroganoff too, but just a recipe I made as I went along We also had what was supposed to be roasted asparagus, but I burnt it up. I couldn't eat it, but DH loved it

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#80 of 386 Old 01-08-2008, 02:45 AM

You know, I don't think I have ever had stroganoff in my life. But I always see it mentioned on here, so I must be missing out. (I am actually not even sure what it is, some sort of pasta?)

Tonight was leftovers, so I could drag myself out and do some shopping. Hit Trader Joe's & Whole Foods so I have ingredients to try some new recipes this week. I am going to attempt the Sunflower Lentil pie from Vive Le Vegan. Not sure what day I will make it, sometime this week.

I also picked up this yummy looking whole-wheat naan bread from WF. I have an idea for it I have been thinking about for some time: Indian pizza. I want to add curry powder to pizza sauce and make a pizza with chickpeas, spinach, soy mozzarella, maybe some scallions and top it with little Indian chaat rice crispy/crackers. (I bought them at an Indian grocery and looking for a creative way to use them.) Maybe drizzle a little chutney on top?

#81 of 386 Old 01-08-2008, 10:19 AM

Jadzia, you could (depending on your chutney) replace the pizza sauce with it. I do that when I make Mexican pizza--I prebake the crust, then spread it with refried beans and put salsa over that, skipping the regular red sauce altogether.
#82 of 386 Old 01-08-2008, 10:54 AM

Last night we had vegetable springrolls, lemon "chicken" (using tofu) and steamed rice. The tofu was incredible. I am loving my new Bryanna cookbook!
#83 of 386 Old 01-08-2008, 03:54 PM

Last night was vegetable briyani. Oh, so yummy!
#84 of 386 Old 01-08-2008, 04:44 PM

Last night we had a broccoli/tofu/pasta casserole, roasted acorn squash, and garlicky kale from VwaV. I've never tried that recipe before. I think I'll have to serve it weekly from now on. So good!

Tonight we're having some mystery lentils I took out of the freezer. I have no idea what it was the first time...soup? stew? I'm thinking I may drain off the (very small amount) of liquid and use it as a shepherd's pie filling. Wish me luck.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#85 of 386 Old 01-08-2008, 06:14 PM

We're doing a VwaV-esque dinner tonight, too - mashed potatoes, punk rock chickpea gravy and garlicky kale.
#86 of 386 Old 01-08-2008, 07:37 PM

Ha! We had mushroom stroganoff tonight, too! That is too funny. We also had sweet carrot salad on the side (I LOVE my new food processor! It shredded 7 carrots in like 10 seconds. So awesome).

Now I'm really looking for something dessert-y....but I don't know what. Chocolate's out, DH is allergic...maybe snickerdoodles...or those maple cookies from VwaV...

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#87 of 386 Old 01-08-2008, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Ha! We had mushroom stroganoff tonight, too! That is too funny. We also had sweet carrot salad on the side (I LOVE my new food processor! It shredded 7 carrots in like 10 seconds. So awesome).

Now I'm really looking for something dessert-y....but I don't know what. Chocolate's out, DH is allergic...maybe snickerdoodles...or those maple cookies from VwaV...
i got one too, and i LOVE it!! shredding carrots is fun now!

#88 of 386 Old 01-08-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
i got one too, and i LOVE it!! shredding carrots is fun now!
Totally! The sentence "What else can I shred?...." actually went through my head today after the carrots were done!

I'm thinking potatoes are next, for hash browns.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#89 of 386 Old 01-08-2008, 08:56 PM

pixieto - Would love that lemon chx recipe if you don't mind sharing.
I'm making millet broccoli croquettes with white bean aioli from V'con and a green salad.

Mama to 3:
#90 of 386 Old 01-09-2008, 01:21 AM

Recipe #2 from the Veg 5 Ingredient Gourmet - Adzuki Beans with Broccoli and Miso. Only modification was adding garlic. Very yummy...quick and easy! I'd definitely do this one again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page