how to get the kids to eat veggies???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2008, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my 4.5 year old dd is ok with veggies but my almost 2 year old ds does not eat any veggies at all except for the occasional bite of cucumber and whatever we can sneak on a pizza or in an egg/cheese casserole. I'm not exaggerating!

How can I get them esp. my ds to eat more veggies. I was thinking of savoury vegetable breads. I tried to google some recipes but they were either sweet or non-veg.

Does anyone have any savoury veggie bread recipes to offer??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I should have requested "loaf" recipes instead of "bread". anyone????
Old 01-14-2008, 06:51 PM

Not exactly what you're asking for but...
I've become a huge fan of grating carrots and putting them into things--they tend to sort of disappear into whatever the dominant food is. Pancakes with some carrot grated into them have become wildly popular with my 2 year old.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:07 PM

I just noticed this is on the veggie forum- the links have eggs and other non veggie/vegan things. Sorry!!! I still reccomend the roasted "fries" tho!!

I am not a big fan of the "sneaky" veggie recipes just for the sake of getting veggies into kids. If a child never really tries different types and/or different preperations then how can they really learn to like them??

That said I do make a lot of zuccini and confetti bread because we love them and they make great hostess and house warming gifts. I don't have the recipes with me but here are some links to ones that are close. Keep in mind that I usually 1/2 the oil listed, use whole wheat flour and often add ground flax seed.

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/hannahs/q...hini-bread.htm

http://www.recipes-from-friends.com/...s=n;read=34949 (I would never add the choc chips, way too sweet!!)

Another way my son LOVES his veggies is roasted. he loves carrots, sweet potatoes, zuccini, onions, etc cut into stripes, tossed in olive oil and then roasted. He calls them "veggie fries"

Pardon me while I puke.gif

Old 01-14-2008, 07:07 PM

We've done a lot of dipping - steamed broccoli in uncheez sauce, for example, or lightly breaded zucchini in marinara sauce.

Also, my 2yo is a soup fiend. I can pulverize just about anything into a pureed soup and she'll eat it. Do a search in this forum for "chickpea soup" and you'll find my recipe. I've added pureed spinach to it, pureed carrots, etc.

Another thing you could do is just keep offering and wait it out. My 5yo is pickier about veggies now than she was at 2, but she still eats broccoli, carrots, potatoes, celery, peas, green beans, some squash, and edamame, and I didn't change our approach or her diet at all. Sometimes kids just don't like something until they suddenly do -- or, in our case with DD1, vice versa!

User Tag List