Does anything taste like milk? Desperate here. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-17-2008, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are vegetarians and I have just dropped dairy in order for DD (BF'd) to see if she sleeps better w/out any dairy (I'm sure this is wishful thinking on my part but hey, I'm desperate!).
Although I adore cheese and such I can live without it (especially when I see all your delicious vegan recipes). My major problem is my morning tea. I live for my Irish breakfast morning tea with milk and sugar.

I've tried soy milk (plain, vanilla)- ugh. Soy milk actually makes me feel ill, whereas soy in tofu form, food, etc does not- what's with that?
rice milk
almond milk
oat milk

And different brands too. Is there any brand that is similar to milk or at least doesn't have a strong taste? I need my delicious tea!
Thank you!

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#2 of 19 Old 01-17-2008, 02:31 AM

To me, Almond milk has the best taste. It's not very creamy for coffee or tea though. I've been told that rice milk gets pretty creamy when it's boiled down. I haven't tried it though.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#3 of 19 Old 01-17-2008, 02:35 AM

I've yet to find anything. There's one particular brand of soy milk here that tastes very milky, until you put it in a cup of coffee or tea. My morning coffee is the biggest hurdle I'll ever have to cross on my path to veganism!! Maybe you could try and get used to your tea being black? Or try a herbal tea that doesn't really need milk? (yeah, I don't like that idea either :P).
#4 of 19 Old 01-17-2008, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I like coconut milk in my morning coffee.

You're really not going to find anything that "tastes like milk." You're much better off looking for something that you enjoy the taste of for what it is. I enjoy coconut milk for the yummy creamy coconut goodness- not for its value as a "fake milk". If I want it to taste like heavy cream I'll just be dissapointed.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#5 of 19 Old 01-17-2008, 02:36 AM

What you want is a creamer labeled Kosher Parve-(that means no dairy products at all)- I think there are some that use a coconut milk base. I can't think of the brand name right now, but there are a few out there that are very good-I'll be shopping again early next week and could check brands if you like.
#6 of 19 Old 01-17-2008, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

Good ideas, all. Thanks!
I thought of coconut milk earlier today, thanks Ruthla. I like coconut milk, hmm.

I'll try the boiling down thing too, maybe.

Wildtigercubs: Yeah, right now I'd prefer it black to any of the things I've tried. And I'm not even thinking about a latte. Thankfully I don't have those often so I won't miss them too much.

Quote:
What you want is a creamer labeled Kosher Parve-(that means no dairy products at all)- I think there are some that use a coconut milk base. I can't think of the brand name right now, but there are a few out there that are very good-I'll be shopping again early next week and could check brands if you like.
Yeah, I'm from NY and always had great luck finding interesting vegetarian & vegan items in the kosher supermarkets. Veggie "jello", marshmallows, non-dairy items, real vegan margarine, etc. Out here in OR the kosher section in the market is about 5 feet on one shelf.
I think I'll go out looking tomorrow anyway, maybe they've got something.

Thanks all!

#7 of 19 Old 01-17-2008, 05:09 AM

For general use I really prefer Pacific brand-plain rice milk. I feel like it has the mildest taste.

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#8 of 19 Old 01-17-2008, 10:07 AM

I use a creamer that I get at Trader Joes which to me tastes identical to half and half. I never used milk in my coffee though. When I first went vegan I really thought fortified Rice Dream tasted the most like milk to me.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#9 of 19 Old 01-17-2008, 10:16 AM

I know this is vegetarian.. but there are some who..... do you eat eggs? I can't do dairy because of my sons, but I also can't live without coffee, and I eat low carb and do not believe in eating soy. However, the most delicious non dairy thing I've had is to pour a little boiling water on some eggs and blend them. They get frothy and creamy, I use this to make dairy free cappuccinos and vanilla "milk" shakes and ice cream - you can add coconut oil to make it creamier. Not eating dairy makes a huge difference in the kids sleep and mood.
#10 of 19 Old 01-17-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouso View Post
Yeah, I'm from NY and always had great luck finding interesting vegetarian & vegan items in the kosher supermarkets. Veggie "jello", marshmallows, non-dairy items, real vegan margarine, etc. Out here in OR the kosher section in the market is about 5 feet on one shelf.
I think I'll go out looking tomorrow anyway, maybe they've got something.
You can find vegetarian marshmallows!? What is the brand name? We used to be able to get them here, but they don't sell them anymore. I would love to find veg marshmallows.
#11 of 19 Old 01-17-2008, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
You can find vegetarian marshmallows!? What is the brand name? We used to be able to get them here, but they don't sell them anymore. I would love to find veg marshmallows.
I found them a long time ago but then they disappeared. Can't remember the brand anymore. All of the other kosher brands were made with fish gelatin.

Pangea http://www.veganstore.com/vegan-food...-products.html has vegan marshmallows that I've heard are really good.

ETA: Did you know that marshmallow fluff is vegetarian (not vegan) and is delicious in cocoa, to make rice krispy treats and on top of sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving, etc.? I love it and it tastes exactly like marshmallows.

#12 of 19 Old 01-17-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Pangea http://www.veganstore.com/vegan-food...-products.html has vegan marshmallows that I've heard are really good.

ETA: Did you know that marshmallow fluff is vegetarian (not vegan) and is delicious in cocoa, to make rice krispy treats and on top of sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving, etc.? I love it and it tastes exactly like marshmallows.
Thank you, thank you! I did know about the fluff. It's good for baking, but I need something for s'mores! We do a lot of camping. Thanks.
#13 of 19 Old 01-17-2008, 06:39 PM

Honestly, I just use Silk creamer in my cofee and tea. They have flavors like French Vanilla and Hazelnut, but they also have plain. It would work for tea. I get it at my Shoprite but they also carry it at other supermarkets (i.e. Wegmans, some Stop & Shops).

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#14 of 19 Old 01-18-2008, 11:10 AM

I had a problem finding something for my tea. I HATED soy milk in it. I eventually realized that it was because I don't use sugar in my tea, and the soy milk had sugar in it. Once I switched to unsweetened soy milk, I was fine.

I also find unsweetened has a more neutral flavor (at least the Vitasoy does). Maybe that might help?

Crunchy, pagan, vegan,homeschooling wife and mother of 3 beautiful daughters and 2 wonderful sons

#15 of 19 Old 01-18-2008, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

I found some truly non-dairy creamer and it's working well. Makes it creamy but with no flavor.
Had to go to a couple of places, though. Why does almost every non-dairy creamer have casein in it? And even on the label it says "derived from dairy but lactose free." Then they should call it non-lactose creamer. :

Thanks again!

#16 of 19 Old 01-19-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymac View Post
I had a problem finding something for my tea. I HATED soy milk in it. I eventually realized that it was because I don't use sugar in my tea, and the soy milk had sugar in it. Once I switched to unsweetened soy milk, I was fine.

I also find unsweetened has a more neutral flavor (at least the Vitasoy does). Maybe that might help?
Yeah that. Even the plain soy and rice milks are sweetened. The ones that actually say "unsweetened" on them taste a lot different. Like milk.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#17 of 19 Old 01-20-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
We are vegetarians and I have just dropped dairy in order for DD (BF'd) to see if she sleeps better w/out any dairy (I'm sure this is wishful thinking on my part but hey, I'm desperate!).
Although I adore cheese and such I can live without it (especially when I see all your delicious vegan recipes). My major problem is my morning tea. I live for my Irish breakfast morning tea with milk and sugar.
!
I'm afraid I don't have any ideas for a good milk substitution, but I just wanted to say that DS #1 used to have major trouble getting to sleep, never slept through the night, slept fitfully, and was always tired and cranky until we cut out dairy when he was somewhere between 1 1/2 and 2. After about a week of being dairy free it was like we had a new child!

DS is now 6 - he still doesn't drink milk (goat's milk on occasion), but can tolerate small amounts of cheese or yogurt. So don't give up hope Mama! Going dairy-free just may work for you!
#18 of 19 Old 01-21-2008, 08:55 PM

I have literally tried everything from Silk to Edensoy to the Trader Joe's brand of soymilk, all different rice milks, almond milk...you name it. The very best soymilk in the universe...the only one I found that doesn't have a chalky, nasty aftertaste is Vitasoy Organic CREAMY ORIGINAL. It has to be the creamy, not the classic which tastes like any other soy milk to me.
#19 of 19 Old 01-22-2008, 01:07 AM

There is a brand of soy milk here called our family, which is basically a store brand i'm thinking, but it is THE best I've ever had. I don't like the vanilla too much, but the original, tastes like a cross between coconut milk and cow milk, and the chocolate (OMG!!!) tastes like chocolate malt-o-meal, or those little brownies that came in the tv dinner things my mom tried to make me eat when i was like 6 that were the ONLY reason you would eat those nasty tv dinners. Have you tried the silk creamer? Oat milk?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page