Mothering Forum banner

Potato soup..no milk

22K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  hippie_mommy 
#1 ·
any vegans out there that can help me make potato soup without milk. all the recipies I have call for milk.
can I just leave it out? will the soup taste good without milk?

#4 ·
Oh i guess I should have added that everyone here has a cold and is coughing. DS is the worse off with a fever..I'm fine
I didn't want milk b/c of the coughing and DD wants potato soup for dinner.
will those other milks not cause coughing?

#7 ·
I make a dairy free potato soup that everyone swears has cheese and milk. It doesn't

I use chicken stock for the liquid.

I saute onions and garlic in EVOO. I add the stock, some herbs (whatever I have on hand-thyme, dill, oregano etc.) and potatoes. I boil until potatoes are almost done and chuck in some broccoli. I let it go another few minutes and cool. Then I puree it all. It is creamy and delicious and thick. It tastes super cheesy. I haven't had it in FOREVER, but now I'm craving it!

#9 ·
I grew up with dairy free potato soup. I never had the creamy dairy kind until I was an adult.

My mom just boils potatoes nad onions in chicken broth (more likely chicken bouillon), then half mashed them up when done. Add a ton of black pepper, some salt, and a ton of parsley. Enough so that the soup is green and white. That's it. It's very simple, but it's good.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
I make a dairy free potato soup that everyone swears has cheese and milk. It doesn't

I use chicken stock for the liquid.

I saute onions and garlic in EVOO. I add the stock, some herbs (whatever I have on hand-thyme, dill, oregano etc.) and potatoes. I boil until potatoes are almost done and chuck in some broccoli. I let it go another few minutes and cool. Then I puree it all. It is creamy and delicious and thick. It tastes super cheesy. I haven't had it in FOREVER, but now I'm craving it!
Mine is similar to this. I saute onions, garlic and carrots, then add potatoes and just enough good chicken broth to cover the tops. Cook until soft, then puree. Season well with seasalt and pepper. Add some finely chopped kale (or spinach, etc) and some chicken apple sausage if you like. I've made this a zillion times and it is a family favorite and something friends request. You can omit the greens and sausage, but they are are nice for a meal in one pot. The sauteeing is an essential step as is having a good chicken broth IMO. We love a good amount of carrots in it as it makes it a beautiful golden color. This is healthy comfort food

#11 ·
Here's a recipe I've developed for potato soup. it works wonderfully!

Potato Kale soup

8 cups water
6-7 potatoes (I prefer yukon gold, but russet work), peeled and diced
2 crowns broccoli, cut and floretted
1 bunch lacinato (or "dino") kale, chopped in 2-in pieces
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp oregano
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp celery flakes or ground celery seed
celtic sea salt to taste (we use probablyu 2ish tsp)

Combine ingredients and simmer until potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally to keep potatoes from sticking to bottom.

option: put in 1/2 cup of corn flour and 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes to make it "cheesy".

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hipumpkins View Post
Oh i guess I should have added that everyone here has a cold and is coughing. DS is the worse off with a fever..I'm fine
I didn't want milk b/c of the coughing and DD wants potato soup for dinner.
will those other milks not cause coughing?
Only cow's milk irritates the mucous membranes and causing coughing, etc. One of the MANY reasons I don't think people should drink it, but any way...

Unsweetened soy is a good substitute and shouldn't exacerbate anyone's cold, unless, of course, they have a soy allergy/intolerance. If you suspect that, you don't really need anything. I would cook half the potatoes for about a half hour before throwing the rest in and by the time the 2nd batch is done, the first batch will have gone to much and thickened the soup.

#16 ·
I just made potato soup with no milk! Here's what I did...

Chopped up about 8 potatoes, a bag of baby carrots, and 3 sweet onions. Cooked those in water and veggie bullion cubes (2-3 depending on how much water). When the veggies are soft I add mashed potatoes (these were left over from the other night, when I'm in a hurry, I use mashed potato flakes, when I have more time I just blend up some of the potatoes in the soup). Add some garlic, salt, pepper and what ever other spices you want! Yum!

#17 ·
Uh........ Chicken broth is NOT vegan.

I bet if you take some of your potatoes, put them in a blender or processor, that will make it creamy, and you don't need dairy or soy that way. I add nutritional yeast to mine to make it a little cheesier.

#18 ·
I have a recipe for Potato Leek soup that I finally found about a year ago. My kids have tons of allergies, and dairy is one of the biggest, neither can they have soy...then I found this one, and we love it!

Potato Leek Soup

serves 6-8

4-5 pounds leeks
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
5 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 3/4 pounds red potatoes (about five medium), peeled and cut into 3/4 inch dice
Salt and ground black pepper

1. Cut off the roots and tough dark green portion of the leeks, leaving the white portion and 3 inches of the light green portion. Slice the leeks in half lengthwise and chop into 1-inch pieces (you should have about 11 cups).

2. Heat the butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over the medium-low heat until foaming. Stir in the leeks, increase the heat to medium, cover, an cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are tender but mushy, 15 to 20 minutes; DO NOT brown the leeks. Sprinkle the flour over the leeks and stir to coat evenly. Cook until the flour dissolves, about 2 minutes.

3. Increase the heat to high; whisking contstantly, gradually add the broth. Add the bay leaf and potatoes, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender and the flavors meld, 10 to 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately. (this soup can be refrigerated in an airtight container for a day or two. Warm over low heat until hot; do not boil)

#19 ·
Quote:
Uh........ Chicken broth is NOT vegan.
This thread was moved into this forum. I initially had it in good nutrition but i guess b/c I addressed vegans it was moved. It is not the PP's fault.
I addressed vegans b/c I figured they would know how to make things without milk.

anyway..firefairy I used your recipe and it was great!
I'm gonna try the other, too at another time.
Thanks everyone!

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hipumpkins View Post
This thread was moved into this forum. I initially had it in good nutrition but i guess b/c I addressed vegans it was moved. It is not the PP's fault.
I addressed vegans b/c I figured they would know how to make things without milk.
Oh, OK

#24 ·
I make a potato and kale soup that has no milk. After cooking the onions, garlic, potatoes, and kale(seperately and then add it)- take part of the potatoes and water/broth(whatever you use) blend it in the processor then add it back to the soup. Still chunky but also a bit creamy, yummm. Now I want some!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.