What's For Dinner? ~ February Thread ~ - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 216 Old 02-09-2008, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tonight we are having the eggplant moussake with pine nut cream from VCON. My oldest dd is coming to visit and she wants to try it. We'll have salad and bread too. I think I'll make some Mexican hot chocolate cupcakes for dessert.
#62 of 216 Old 02-09-2008, 03:01 PM

Huevos rancheros with corn tortillas for us for lunch--I think we're finally getting back into the swing of eating like normal people, after a few weeks of various illnesses.
#63 of 216 Old 02-09-2008, 03:17 PM

Glad you're feeling better, frog. I have missed your posts here.

Last night I made the Spicy Tempeh Pasta with Broccoli Rabe recipe from Veganomicon (using broccoli). It was pretty good, but somewhat complicated for a pasta recipe. That is my bigest complaint with the book, so many of the recipes seem overly complicated. A lot of them sound great but are a big production number: nice to make for a special occasion but not good for "I'm hungry, get dinner done quick" as I feel on most nights.

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#64 of 216 Old 02-10-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
Glad you're feeling better, frog. I have missed your posts here.

Last night I made the Spicy Tempeh Pasta with Broccoli Rabe recipe from Veganomicon (using broccoli). It was pretty good, but somewhat complicated for a pasta recipe. That is my bigest complaint with the book, so many of the recipes seem overly complicated. A lot of them sound great but are a big production number: nice to make for a special occasion but not good for "I'm hungry, get dinner done quick" as I feel on most nights.
I was afraid of that, too. But, so far I've been pleasantly surprised. The potato kale enchiladas w/roasted chili sauce took far less time than I would have expected for such an amazing dish. And, just made snobby joes for tonight...another fairly quick fix. Of course, I'm the one who usually spends more than 1 1/2 hours/meal prep. So, anything under an hour makes me feel like a wiz

Having maple glazed roasted carrots on the side of Mr. Snobby

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

#65 of 216 Old 02-10-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMOmmyOf2 View Post
Ohhh the sweet potato and spinach quesedillas etc. sounds yummy!
Mind sharing your recipe? How does vanilla 'rice' cream go? Now I'm intruiged!
Sure, it's not much of a recipe, but you can find it here.

We didn't get to have the "rice" cream, but we are having it tonight instead. It's really just Robin Robertson's non-dairy plain vanilla ice-cream from Vegan Planet. It's "rice" cream because I made it with Rice Dream. Anyway, it will be scooped into balls and rolled in crushed cinnamon graham crackers. It too will be on my blog later tonight.
#66 of 216 Old 02-10-2008, 06:24 PM

I've been trying out recipes from Vegan With a Vengeance (see http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=842370) this week. Tonight we're going to try the Fettucine Alfreda. I'll probably make boring old frozen peas and carrots on the side, since the recipe is a little labor-intensive (roasting pine nuts AND using a blender?! surely you jest!).
#67 of 216 Old 02-10-2008, 06:26 PM

Tonight we are having my own interpretation of the Barbeque Black-eyed Pea Collard Rolls from V-con. I don't have the book, so it's based on a loose description from another MDC mama. With it we will be having "less-dressed potato salad with fennell and chives" from Vegan Planet, vegan cornbread, and the "rice" cream that I mentioned above.

Tomorrow is taco salad.......lettuce topped with veggie chili, diced avocado, salsa, and black olives.
#68 of 216 Old 02-10-2008, 06:37 PM

I have 'bird nest' shaped spinach fettucine. I thought I would fill them with Nathan's 'meat' balls and top them with some homemade spaghetti sauce. A big salad on the side.
#69 of 216 Old 02-10-2008, 06:40 PM

I'm cooking tonight--cheese and green chile enchiladas with a side of black refried beans. :
#70 of 216 Old 02-10-2008, 06:57 PM

Tonight I am making the Asparagus and Sun-Dried Tomato Frittata from VwaV.
#71 of 216 Old 02-10-2008, 07:05 PM

I'm trying the Vegetarian Haggis from Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. I don't have the yuba to wrap it in, so it'll just be the filling. Right now the plan is to serve it with mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, and sauteed chard.

My husband's name is Scott Mac____, so I'll have to see what he thinks.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#72 of 216 Old 02-10-2008, 07:21 PM

I was thinking I'd do Pumpkin Lasagna Roll Ups and make some for the freezer as well, but I'd have to start them RIGHT NOW and ds is asleep in my lap, sickies dh and dd napping next to me in the bed. I don't think I feel like getting up and doing them. I think the tofu will keep another day...

So maybe something fast instead. Standby veggie chili probably.

Lazy Vegetarian Chili
2 cans beans (any combo you like)
1 large jar salsa (use medium salsa for mild chili, hot for medium, or mild for really mild chili)
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
Chili powder to taste

When I'm feeling ambitious, I add chopped and sauteed peppers and onion, but really, it's fine with just the salsa and fruit salsas make for great tastes too-pinneapple salsa or mango salsa are what I usually use.

Boil water and add quinoa; let boil 5 minutes, add beans and salsa (and onion and pepper if using them); let simmer 10 minutes (or more, or less, as long as it's all warm and the quinoa is cooked); add chili powder to taste.

Avocado chunks, sour cream (or vegan sour cream), and cheddar cheese (or vegan cheese) are all great on top as desired.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#73 of 216 Old 02-10-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
I was thinking I'd do Pumpkin Lasagna Roll Ups and make some for the freezer as well
Oooooh, recipe? I am intrigued!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#74 of 216 Old 02-10-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanna_Mama View Post
I was afraid of that, too. But, so far I've been pleasantly surprised. The potato kale enchiladas w/roasted chili sauce took far less time than I would have expected for such an amazing dish.
I have been thinking of making that dish, with the chile-chocolate mole instead of the roasted chili sauce. In fact, I sent DH to the store to buy some corn tortillas, so maybe I'll try it tonight.

Quote:
Of course, I'm the one who usually spends more than 1 1/2 hours/meal prep. So, anything under an hour makes me feel like a wiz
I often take over an hour to make a "30 minute meal" so anything that is supposed to take 1 1/2 hours scares me -- we wouldn't eat until 10 pm
I think I am a slowpoke in the kitchen.

#75 of 216 Old 02-10-2008, 09:43 PM

I changed my mind about the fritatta - I made it, and it was delicious, but I'm saving it for breakfast burritos in the morning.

I'm gonna make Snobby Joes tonight, and I'll steam some spaghetti squash on the side.
#76 of 216 Old 02-10-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Oooooh, recipe? I am intrigued!
I got this recipe from someone here about 6 months ago when I was collecting veggie freezer recipes to stock up before ds was born. It's not v*gan, has lots o' cheese, but it's tasty! I can't find her post now though, so if this is yours, lemme know so I can credit you, please! It rocks!

Pumpkin lasagna roll ups
Ingredients:
-----------------------------------------------------
4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
1/2 cup-3/4 cup pumpkin puree (fresh or canned)
8 ounces silken tofu
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. Italian Spice Blend
1-2 tsp. chopped garlic (I use bottled) or about 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper
dash nutmeg
1/2-3/4 cup mozzarella, shredded (I use a blend of fat free and reduced fat here)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
about 1/2 cup chopped and defrosted frozen spinach
12 pasta sheets
2 3/4 cups tomato sauce
1/2 to 3/4 cup jack and cheddar blend

Instructions:-----------------------------------------------------
Mix the tofu, cream cheese, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper together.

Mix in the pumpkin, mozzarella, spinach, nutmeg and Italian Spices, parmesan if using.

Layer a spoonful into half a cooked lasagna noodle, then roll up.

Freeze on a cookie sheet, then transfer to a freezer bag.

To Serve: Place the sauce on top, cover with foil and cook about 50 minutes or so.

Remove foil, sprinkle with the cheddar cheese.

Bake until cheese melts, 10 minutes or so.

Let stand for about 10 minutes.

The beauty of the roll up format is that you can make only as many as you need for a given meal, and that kids who won't touch regular lasagna (like my dd) seem to love the finger food-ish format.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#77 of 216 Old 02-11-2008, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the recipe, EviesMom! It sounds yummy.

Last night we just had leftovers. I had pizza, DH had black bean soup. We somehow have a lot of leftovers in the house! Works for me.

#78 of 216 Old 02-11-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I have been thinking of making that dish, with the chile-chocolate mole instead of the roasted chili sauce. In fact, I sent DH to the store to buy some corn tortillas, so maybe I'll try it tonight.
Do you know that there's a place off of Ellsworth that makes and sells fresh tortillas and chips?
#79 of 216 Old 02-11-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Do you know that there's a place off of Ellsworth that makes and sells fresh tortillas and chips?
I heard about that. Never been there, though. Are they good?

#80 of 216 Old 02-11-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I heard about that. Never been there, though. Are they good?
SO good. You will weep with the happiness when you bite into one. You will wonder how it is that you've been eating sub-standard corn tortillas all these years!
#81 of 216 Old 02-11-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemonster View Post
I'm trying the Vegetarian Haggis from Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. I don't have the yuba to wrap it in, so it'll just be the filling. Right now the plan is to serve it with mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, and sauteed chard.

My husband's name is Scott Mac____, so I'll have to see what he thinks.
Ok, you got me! what's in Veggie Haggis?? I've never tried the animal variety, but can't imagine what a veg-version would be like. What did DMac___ think of it?

The snobby joes were ok, but didn't knock me out. Tonight we'll have the leftovers over pasta for a goulash affect.

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

#82 of 216 Old 02-11-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanna_Mama View Post
Ok, you got me! what's in Veggie Haggis?? I've never tried the animal variety, but can't imagine what a veg-version would be like. What did DMac___ think of it?
It was pretty tasty!

It had onion, carrots, mushrooms, walnuts (recipe called for pecans, but that's what I had), oats, kidney beans, and Scotch whisky.

Scotty Mac was skeptical (as is his nature), but I think he actually dug it. I'll probably make it again. The toddler liked it, too.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#83 of 216 Old 02-11-2008, 07:31 PM

Hi mamas! Mind if I join you? Here's a little bit about me and the fam, and why I'm here.

17 month old DS was discovered to have food allergies at 2 months-- dairy chief among them followed by egg whites and tree nuts. The dairy-- any dairy- was going through the breastmilk, so that got cut out for me as well. DH and I were HUGE consumers of dairy until that point, and DH still is.

I am pregnant with number two, and having a hard time eating enough (due to no appetite and MS) so I started eating some dairy again. BAD IDEA. I'm apparently now Lactose Intolerant. : And also, now that DS is getting well into toddler hood, having food on the table that he can't eat is a problem. Sooooo... we're on our way to being something of a vegan household. Somewhat because it is VERY hard to get DH to give up the dairy (though I'm going on a secret campaign to try again by buying it for him less and less) and because with so many protein sources restricted for DS, I can't quite feel good about not giving him meat on occasion.

So consider me open ears for hearing about the abundance of protein in the veggie diet, and also for hearing about lots of recipes.n Oh, add to my protein paranoia the fact that I fear the amount of soy in my diet increases the liklihood that #2 will have a soy allergy. That would be AWFUL.

Anyway, I look forward to learning a lot while here! Let's eat! :

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)

#84 of 216 Old 02-11-2008, 08:29 PM

Tonight we had DH's Favorite Pasta (pasta with sauteed veggies - tonight it was broccoli, mushrooms, onion and butternut squash - in garlicky olive oil). I also made Jay-Lo's Fried Chicken (homemade chicken style seitan) from La Dolce Vegan. The "fried chicken" was soooooo good! I'm so glad I made a double batch of seitan, because I think we'll be having this again soon.

#85 of 216 Old 02-11-2008, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Barley "risotto" in a roasted olive/tomato sauce I made, pan-browned brussels sprouts and marinated tofu. I'm hungry!

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#86 of 216 Old 02-11-2008, 09:07 PM

We had potato paprikash from 'Great vegetarian cooking under pressure' and a fresh broccoli salad. I've got a couple of the recipes from this book planned for this week Today's dinner was nice; a keeper going by Hubby! lol

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#87 of 216 Old 02-11-2008, 09:14 PM

Hi, Aletheia! :

We didn't have the fettucine last night and instead I just fixed some vegetable masala patties, naan, and salad.

Tonight we are having whole wheat gnocchi with basil-tomato sauce. A quick dinner because we have a school function tonight.
#88 of 216 Old 02-11-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post
Hi mamas! Mind if I join you? Here's a little bit about me and the fam, and why I'm here.

17 month old DS was discovered to have food allergies at 2 months-- dairy chief among them followed by egg whites and tree nuts. The dairy-- any dairy- was going through the breastmilk, so that got cut out for me as well. DH and I were HUGE consumers of dairy until that point, and DH still is.

I am pregnant with number two, and having a hard time eating enough (due to no appetite and MS) so I started eating some dairy again. BAD IDEA. I'm apparently now Lactose Intolerant. : And also, now that DS is getting well into toddler hood, having food on the table that he can't eat is a problem. Sooooo... we're on our way to being something of a vegan household. Somewhat because it is VERY hard to get DH to give up the dairy (though I'm going on a secret campaign to try again by buying it for him less and less) and because with so many protein sources restricted for DS, I can't quite feel good about not giving him meat on occasion.

So consider me open ears for hearing about the abundance of protein in the veggie diet, and also for hearing about lots of recipes.n Oh, add to my protein paranoia the fact that I fear the amount of soy in my diet increases the liklihood that #2 will have a soy allergy. That would be AWFUL.

Anyway, I look forward to learning a lot while here! Let's eat! :
Beans are your friend. My DD2 is allergic to soy, peanuts, tree nuts and eggs and is LI. Thankfully, she loves beans. Good for protein, good for iron and also good for fiber.

Honestly, you don't really need to worry about protein. If you are eating a well balanced diet you are getting plenty.

I suggest listening to Colleens podcast at compassionatecooks.com. There is an older podcast dedicated to protein intake. You're fears will be relieved.

Good luck....I know how you feel with the whole food allergy thing. It's tough in the begining, but you learn very quickly how to make your life "normal" again.
#89 of 216 Old 02-12-2008, 03:19 AM

Tonight we had the Potato Kale Enchiladas with the Chile-Chocolate Mole sauce variation from Veganomicon. The potato-kale filling was AMAZING and delicious. The mole sauce was just ok and overpowered the awesome filling.

I think I will make the recipe again just for the potato-kale filling and serve that alone. I think it would be delicious for brunch alongside some scrambled tofu.

Plus just having the filling would make the dish much easier & quicker. By the time I made the sauce, made the filling, then assembled the enchiladas, I was like "dang, you mean I gotta wait another half hour for them to bake before I can eat?" :

#90 of 216 Old 02-12-2008, 03:23 AM

Tonight we had curried vegetables with dahl (yam, red pepper, spinach, cauliflower) and coconut basmati rice.

My sister's staying (squatting?) with us now, and after the haggis last night asked, "So, is this 'around the world' week here?" I told her it was every week. Anyhow, she said the dahl was her favourite part of around the world week. I didn't tell her it's only day two.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page