What's For Dinner? ~ February Thread ~ - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 216 Old 02-15-2008, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddledebi View Post
You know, it came out pretty good, actually! I looked at your picture and mine didn't look anything like that, except for the color. Yours looked pretty dry and crumbly, but mine was moist - so moist that it kind of had to be scooped, rather than cut in squares or something. The kids liked it a lot, and so did the omni babysitter.

I forgot to put in the chives, so that's one deviation, and I put the carrots through the food processor, so they came out more like pulp than shredded in long strings. Those are the only differences I can think of. When I took the tinfoil off the top, I sprinkled it with a tiny bit of vegan parmesan and some sunflower seeds.

I only had a forkful, but we're all having it for dinner tonight (with matzo ball soup, challah, and some kind of veggie I haven't figured out yet). I'll let you know if there's anything else I think of as to why yours came out differently.
Yes, mine was VERY dry and crumbly, and very gross actually. Maybe the carrots run through the food processor made a difference in the moisture. I was lazy and used preshredded carrots. I didn't use chives either because I didn't have any. I've heard some other bad reviews on it, but it sounds like yours turned out well.....maybe I'll give it another try.
#122 of 216 Old 02-15-2008, 07:53 PM

I can hardly wait to eat our dinner!!!

Vegetable soup with matzo balls - my own concoction
Garlic & basil bread (bread machine) - from Vegweb.com
Leftover chickpea/broccoli casserole - VWAV
Soynut butter oatmeal cookies - adapted from the Peanut Butter Oatmeal ones from VWAV (haven't given DD2 peanuts yet)

Is it time YET?!
#123 of 216 Old 02-15-2008, 08:02 PM

Fresh spring rolls with Thai baked tofu and veggies, spicy peanut dipping sauce, coconut-cilantro rice.
#124 of 216 Old 02-15-2008, 08:13 PM

Guess what I got? Veganomicon!!! I've been drooling over it forever so I finally blew my gift certificate to Barnes and Noble on it.

Tonight we had chickpea cutlets (the bomb!), mashed potatoes with roasted garlic, and garam masala roasted brussels sprouts. OMG. OMG. OMG. The brussels sprouts were like buttah. Seriously, they melt in your mouth. You must must make them! I've always been kind of "eh" about brussels preiviously - they were ok, I could take them or leave them. I'm pretty sure this recipe could convert anyone to a full on lover of the tiny cabbage.

I also made the curried carrot dip to bring to a playdate today and it was a BIG hit. Really easy and yummy.

And did I mention I also made cupcakes from VWaV today, too? I've been on a roll. Sexy-low fat vanilla cupcakes topped with decidedly not-lowfat orange buttercream frosting (and I made 4 chocolate buttercream frosted ones, too, for me. No chocolate for DH and DS.)

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#125 of 216 Old 02-15-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula View Post
Fresh spring rolls with Thai baked tofu and veggies, spicy peanut dipping sauce, coconut-cilantro rice.
That sounds so good! I am forever in awe of people who make spring rolls or sushi. They just seem so gosh darn time consuming. Am I doing something wrong? Any tips to speed the making along?

#126 of 216 Old 02-15-2008, 08:52 PM

I shred the veggies in the food processor. I have even cheated and used bagged cole slaw mix before. : I got a great deal at the Rainbow Grocery Outlet on baked tofu - $1.49/pkg. I only need to slice it thinly I use the rice wrappers that only need to be softened in warm water so there isn't any cooking involved. I'm not the neatest sushi or spring roll maker. Eating the mess ups is fun though.

I completely agree with you about the brussels sprouts. Soooo good!
#127 of 216 Old 02-16-2008, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanna_Mama View Post
Tonight is Peanut Butter Pasta Spirals (or, rather fettuccine). Whose recipe is this? THANK YOU for sharing it here...it's sooooo delicious! And fast and cheap! A dream recipe if ever I saw one. I hope DH likes it as much as I do and that DS will grow to like it
:
That was me, so happy you liked it! It has been a staple here for many years. The recipe is from a wonderful out of print cookbook by Nava Atlas called Vegetarian Express. I love it because I can always throw it together with pantry staples-- a perfect dinner for when I have not been grocery shopping. It is also wonderful with chopped scallions and/or baked tofu added in. It is so quick to prepare and just a real crowd-pleaser.

Speaking of Nava Atlas, I just got her newest cookbook from Amazon, Vegan Express, which is a sequel of sorts to Vegetarian Express. This cookbook looks so awesome.

I can't wait to use it. I just got home from a business trip and I really missed cooking.

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#128 of 216 Old 02-16-2008, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Last night we had super simple easy sloppy joes, with my DH's recipe, made with smart grounds.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#129 of 216 Old 02-16-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
:
That was me, so happy you liked it! It has been a staple here for many years. The recipe is from a wonderful out of print cookbook by Nava Atlas called Vegetarian Express. I love it because I can always throw it together with pantry staples-- a perfect dinner for when I have not been grocery shopping. It is also wonderful with chopped scallions and/or baked tofu added in. It is so quick to prepare and just a real crowd-pleaser.

Speaking of Nava Atlas, I just got her newest cookbook from Amazon, Vegan Express, which is a sequel of sorts to Vegetarian Express. This cookbook looks so awesome.

I can't wait to use it. I just got home from a business trip and I really missed cooking.
Oh, thank you again! And, please let us know what you think of Vegan Express. :-)

Tonight is our last Veganomicon meal before the book : has to go back to the library:

Chile-corn crusted tofu
Southwestern corn pudding
Green pumpkin seed mole sauce

Can't wait!

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

#130 of 216 Old 02-16-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Oh, thank you again! And, please let us know what you think of Vegan Express. :-)

Tonight is our last Veganomicon meal before the book : has to go back to the library:

Chile-corn crusted tofu

Can't wait!
We had the chile-cornmeal crusted tofu the other night and it was really good. I didn't have any chili powder so I subbed extra other spices, including some chipotle chili powder so ours was HOT! I made the lime crema from the baja taco recipe to cut the heat, it was a lovely combo.

Tonight we are having the leftovers as the po' boy sammiches. I've got the coleslaw in the fridge, marinating. Just need to run out for a baguette!

I'm really curious how the mole sauce and corn pudding are, so please post about the results!

#131 of 216 Old 02-16-2008, 06:24 PM

homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese on ezekiel bread

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#132 of 216 Old 02-16-2008, 08:06 PM

Seitan and gravy on biscuits, mashed potatoes, and some vegetables yet to be determined.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#133 of 216 Old 02-16-2008, 08:12 PM

Somehow, I got the priviledge of taking three 12 year old boys to the bowling alley - at dinner time - where we will meet up with approximately 200 other 5th and 6th grade girls and boys for a safety patrol event. And I don't suppose I would be setting a good example if I got a pitcher of beer so I think we will get cheese pizza and a pitcher of Sprite for dinner. Mmmm. Bowling alley pizza.
#134 of 216 Old 02-16-2008, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Chile-corn crusted tofu

Can't wait!
That's cool your library has V-con. I keep renewing VWAV from my library.

I just bought V-con & VCTOTW on amazon with be-lated birthday money.. I can't wait for them to get here!

#135 of 216 Old 02-16-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I just bought V-con & VCTOTW on amazon with be-lated birthday money.. I can't wait for them to get here!
LizzyQ you are going to go crazy when they get there! I just got V-con on Wednesday and I can't stop cooking from it. I have so much delicious food in the house, I'm running out of storage containers to store leftovers! (but seriously, it's true).

Tonight we had to cornmeal-chile crusted tofu po' boy sammiches. They were really satisfying and delicious. We had a crusty baguette, veganaise (i didn't do chipotle mayo because the tofu already had chipotle powder in it and was HOT!), bread and butter pickles and the coleslaw recipe from v-con. The combo was fantastic. The slaw is a tiny bit bland by itself, but it cooled down the spicy tofu perfectly.

I feel like I should write a love letter to my food processor. I think I've used it 3 times today alone.

#136 of 216 Old 02-16-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
That sounds so good! I am forever in awe of people who make spring rolls or sushi. They just seem so gosh darn time consuming. Am I doing something wrong? Any tips to speed the making along?
i can't speak for spring rolls, but sushi is EASY!! cook up some rice, and spread it on some nori sheets. add veggies of your choosing, wrap and eat! i really like cooked sweet potato, tofu, cream cheese, and greens. yum. any veggie is good.

we sometimes use sushi rice, but we use brown rice more frequently because it is what we have on hand. it isn't as sticky, but it is really good. my 4yo loves sushi, and it is fun because he can make his own (with a little help).

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#137 of 216 Old 02-16-2008, 10:44 PM

I'm attempting (with tired and hungry lo) to make risotto with broccoli. Adding beet greens to mine as well. We'll see how it goes, ds2 does not want to be anthing but attached to the boob right now, not too easy while making the risotto!

Mama to 3:
#138 of 216 Old 02-17-2008, 03:54 AM

Quote:
We had the chile-cornmeal crusted tofu the other night and it was really good. I didn't have any chili powder so I subbed extra other spices, including some chipotle chili powder so ours was HOT! I made the lime crema from the baja taco recipe to cut the heat, it was a lovely combo.

Tonight we are having the leftovers as the po' boy sammiches. I've got the coleslaw in the fridge, marinating. Just need to run out for a baguette!

I'm really curious how the mole sauce and corn pudding are, so please post about the results!
Oooo, lime crema! I think I'd choose that over the mole next time. It smelled so good when I was making it, but it didn't do much for me in the end. It was the consistency of a dry pesto and I wanted sauce. And, the flavor wasn't as striking as I thought it'd be for all my efforts (right down to fresh roasted tomatillos).

The corn pudding, on the other hand was worth every second! I kept scooping spoon fulls out all afternoon - pure bliss - that's what this corn pudding is! The jalapeños made it too spicy for DS, though.

Couldn't get him to eat the corn-crusted tofu either (even with his spice-free version of crust). Even with the spices, I thought it was a bit bland (of course, I only used 1/2 the recommended amount of chili powder to avoid the snobby joe taste that I didn't like earlier in the week).

We had cilantro lime rice with it all...beautiful stuff.

Quote:
I feel like I should write a love letter to my food processor. I think I've used it 3 times today alone.
: :

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

#139 of 216 Old 02-17-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Oooo, lime crema! I think I'd choose that over the mole next time. It smelled so good when I was making it, but it didn't do much for me in the end. It was the consistency of a dry pesto and I wanted sauce. And, the flavor wasn't as striking as I thought it'd be for all my efforts (right down to fresh roasted tomatillos).

The corn pudding, on the other hand was worth every second! I kept scooping spoon fulls out all afternoon - pure bliss - that's what this corn pudding is! The jalapeños made it too spicy for DS, though.
Good to know about the mole. I was totally expecting a sauce, too, so it's good to know it's more pesto-like.

But I will definitely have to put the corn pudding on my to-do list!

#140 of 216 Old 02-17-2008, 05:02 PM

Tonight we are having seitan roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, steamed snap peas (for me) and corn (for ds).
#141 of 216 Old 02-17-2008, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Tonight i am making curried lentill loaf from the veg meat & potatoes cookbook, with mustard-maple glazed potatoes and string beans from VWAV.

#142 of 216 Old 02-17-2008, 09:15 PM

Tonight I made Vietnamese Seitan Baguette with Savory Dipping Sauce out of Veganomicon. Oh. Mi. Gawd. They were sooooo good! A direct quote from DH, "It's sweet, tangy, sour, spicy, salty...everything I want in my mouth all at once!" Seriously awesome. It's basically their seitan cutlets on a baguette with veganaise, thinly sliced cucumber, red onion and cilantro sprigs. Then the dipping broth is seitan broth with garlic, red pepper flakes, sugar, salt, 5-spice powder and ginger. Soooooo good!

Their seitan cutlet recipe is a little weird, and I was kind of freaked when I pulled them out of the oven. They were super soggy and spongy and fell apart when I tried to use the tongs to pull them out. But I dredged them in flour and fried them up and they turned out great. But it was a little touch and go there for a while.

I think we will be having these again tomorrow night, the flavors are so awesome. :

Oh, and we also had a green salad. And cupcakes.

#143 of 216 Old 02-17-2008, 10:00 PM

I think I'm making roasted veggies with brown rice. Butternut squash, rutabaga, turnips etc. tossed wtih some warm spices, cinnamon, cumin. I think I'll add some kale as well.

Mama to 3:
#144 of 216 Old 02-17-2008, 10:43 PM

I was only able to get half the grocery shopping done today, so I think I am going to make eggless egg salad sandwiches and broccoli salad for dinner. Then we can pack up the leftovers to take to the park for a picnic tomorrow.

I might also make the peanut butter cookies from The Joy of Vegan Baking for a treat.
#145 of 216 Old 02-18-2008, 01:18 AM

I feel like I haven't cooked in forever, with DS2's hospital stay, but tonight I made the Orange Glazed Baked Seitan from fatfreevegan.com, with brown rice and some steamed broccoli/carrots/cauliflower from the freezer.

My family was pathetically grateful for hot food!

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#146 of 216 Old 02-18-2008, 01:55 PM

I haven't really been cooking too much lately, as I'm just not inspired & can't ever decide what to make. Tonight, however, will be falafel with roasted cauliflower & carrots.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#147 of 216 Old 02-18-2008, 02:30 PM

I think I'm going to make chili tonight. The 2 older dc are at my mom's, so I can make it spicy for dh and I.

Mama to 3:
#148 of 216 Old 02-18-2008, 02:34 PM

I made chili yesterday--it's too spicy for me (thought I'm eating it anyway), but turtle LOVES it.
#149 of 216 Old 02-18-2008, 02:44 PM

I pulled the last of my home grown, homemade tomato sauce from the freezer and we will have pasta and sauce with a salad on the side. I made chai latte cupcakes from VCTOTW last night and frosted them with cinnamon buttercream frosting. If they last that will be dessert.
#150 of 216 Old 02-18-2008, 02:50 PM

I too have been feeling uninspired lately. Last night we had veggie pot pie, and tonight we are having spaghetti with sauce from a jar (with some spinach that's been run through the food processor thrown in for good measure). Can't get much more uninspired than that

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page