Is it out of line for me to comment - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 37 Old 02-19-2008, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy82 View Post
I think it's ridiculous to think that people who eat meat are hypocrites if they are horrified by animal abuse.
Yeah, hypocritical was the wrong word for me to use. That wasn't really what I meant, I was just struggling for a way to get it out.
Obviously, there's nothing wrong with people caring for animals in the ways that they are able to. Something is better than nothing, and if people were limited to either *all* or *nothing* a lot of people would choose nothing.

What I meant by my spider example was that, I find it annoying when someone judges me for killing a spider (saying that it's mean), when they have absolutely no concern for the animal that the meat on their plate once was. People who have no concern for buying organic, spca approved, whatever. And it's just annoying. I've never commented on it, except to my dp (and I don't think that really counts).
(I've had many times where I've woke up in the morning with bug bites that turn into big welts that itch like the dickens. I've had people tell me they were spider bites. Plus, I read on MDC that indoor spiders can't survive outside, so they die anyways if you put them out.)

And I did figure out that my comment was more based on the truthfulness of what she said, not that I thought it was wrong for her to be concerned about cats and not cows.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 37 Old 02-19-2008, 01:51 PM

I don't say anything. In my experience, people don't care what I think

Of course, I feel very strongly about my vegetarianism, my parenting choices, my political leanings, my religious beliefs, etc.etc.etc.

If people notice and ask, I answer honestly. But in most cases, I don't bring stuff up.
#33 of 37 Old 02-20-2008, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well......it might come off as you meaning that it's ok for her kid to harm as many animals as he likes, since he's a meat eater anyway.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#34 of 37 Old 02-20-2008, 08:21 PM

I wouldn't say anything. I don't think that because I allow my children to eat meat (dh and I are new vegetarians and the kids started out on an omni diet) I should also allow them to tourture the family cat (not that they would, just an example). We all have our shades of grey and very few people are able to live exactly within their ideals of how the world should work.
#35 of 37 Old 02-20-2008, 08:25 PM

I also think it was not very nice of her to judge you for killing the spider. Judgement from our friends doesn't feel very good and I can see where you were coming from in making the comment about the meat eating. I sometimes kill spiders too when they are in my house, but yet when my kids find a bug outside and want to smoosh it, just for the heck of it, I don't allow them to. That's probably hypocritical of me to an extent, but one is a case of me wanting to get the big scary bug out of the house and the other is just killing for the sake of watching it's guts smoosh out.
#36 of 37 Old 02-21-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsgotmilk4two View Post
I don't think that because I allow my children to eat meat (dh and I are new vegetarians and the kids started out on an omni diet) I should also allow them to tourture the family cat (not that they would, just an example).
Very good point.

Great for nature studies!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#37 of 37 Old 02-22-2008, 05:48 PM

never mind

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page