RAW mamas: spring countdown thread! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2008, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
does anyone have a recipe for raw hummus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2008, 03:48 AM

I haven't tried any of them, but here's a search link which had a few of the sites I've used recently at the top of the list:

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?...c=IE-SearchBox

Specifically:

http://goneraw.com/recipes/9-Hummus

http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/rawhummus.html

http://www.fromsadtoraw.com/Recipes/RawHummus.htm

* Holly * rural Seattle suburban SAHM to Elizabeth 11 * Cole 9 * Annie 5 * Blaise 3 * and Urban 2 mos *
Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker View Post
does anyone have a recipe for raw hummus?
I posted one on page 7 of this thread.

Matt Amsden's *No Bean Hummus*...love it!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

Old 06-25-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calynde View Post
I posted one on page 7 of this thread.

Matt Amsden's *No Bean Hummus*...love it!

great I will check it out!!
Old 06-26-2008, 02:20 PM

I'm sitting here sipping an awesome strawberry/fresh OJ/coconut oil smoothie... how is everyone?

I had a MAJOR MAJOR incident the other day involving way too many chocolate chip cookies. I paid dearly for it (enough said) and it almost made me even more committed and conscious about what I'm putting in my body! So I'm definitely starting over today now that I'm feeling better...still not 100% raw, but wow how could I not be a lot closer to it after that?!

Now that my confession's out of the way, a question. One of the books I picked up from the library suggested if you're not going to be 100% raw to eat light to heavy with a 100% raw breakfast and ending with cooked dinner. Does anyone else know the wisdom or research behind this? It wasn't clear from what I read...

Thank you

* Holly * rural Seattle suburban SAHM to Elizabeth 11 * Cole 9 * Annie 5 * Blaise 3 * and Urban 2 mos *
Old 06-26-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmkrueger View Post
I'm sitting here sipping an awesome strawberry/fresh OJ/coconut oil smoothie... how is everyone?

I had a MAJOR MAJOR incident the other day involving way too many chocolate chip cookies. I paid dearly for it (enough said) and it almost made me even more committed and conscious about what I'm putting in my body! So I'm definitely starting over today now that I'm feeling better...still not 100% raw, but wow how could I not be a lot closer to it after that?!

Now that my confession's out of the way, a question. One of the books I picked up from the library suggested if you're not going to be 100% raw to eat light to heavy with a 100% raw breakfast and ending with cooked dinner. Does anyone else know the wisdom or research behind this? It wasn't clear from what I read...

Thank you
I made cashew cocoa date pudding aka tastes like chocolate pudding! it's very good.

I think the theory is that you will feel lighter if you don't have to digest so much, thus having more energy. I do not find this to necessarily be the case.

hh2.gif

Old 06-26-2008, 05:01 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm??? I guess maybe some days that works for me. Hey, oceane, I just clicked your link in your siggy...what kind of burger is that on your flickr stream? Portobello? Looks so tasty!

Old 06-26-2008, 06:44 PM

Hey everyone. Just wanted to sub. I love learning about nutrition and have lately been more and more interested in raw. I did some raw recipes when my dd was a newborn because she had some food sensitivities. With all of the yummy fruits and veggies coming into season I feel inspired to learn some more recipes.

Does anyone know of a good website that shows daily raw meals? I'm just really curious what sort of meals a busy raw family is eating each day. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the amount of work (and ingredients) that it takes and I'd love to watch what someone does each day
Old 06-27-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm??? I guess maybe some days that works for me. Hey, oceane, I just clicked your link in your siggy...what kind of burger is that on your flickr stream? Portobello? Looks so tasty!
it's a burger mix made of veggies and some grains. it was sold at a supermarket and we stocked up, but in general these mixes are quite expensive for how much you get. you mix it with boiling water and form patties. I like that it's not as chewy as gluten or soy burgers are. I have made lentil burgers before but unfortunately they didn't hold together well. I enjoy the crumbly texture but my husband does not. so, long answer about a very non-raw burger.

hh2.gif

Old 06-28-2008, 05:05 AM

hi everyone!!

i just got the vita-mix i've been lusting over for four years (from a co-op group- yay! co-op prices it was even better than costco) and i've used it every single day since i got it. i've been doing a green drink every day and i've made lots of raw nut butters. my favourite item so far has been a raw brownie i made with raw cashews and almonds (the last of my pre-pasteurization ones!) raw honey, carob and cocoa powder, coconut oil, and oats. i made a cherry frosting with just dates and cherries and it was so yummy!!

so, i'm off to read some of the past posts in the thread about ideas for green drinks... mine has been cucumber, kale (from my garden), apple, and water. today i tossed in some peas and it was okay but not great. the best one had some pineapple and mint.

so glad to find this thread, i'm going to be looking for good book recommendations. the only one i have is renee loue underkoffler's living cuisine i think it's called.

eh. who needs a signature?
Old 06-28-2008, 06:28 PM

hmkrueger - about the raw to cooked throughout the day thing... I feel like it makes sense, at least in a digesting sort of way. I think it's important to start the day off on the right foot with something very hydrating and raw - to ease your body into eating for the day. I honestly think it can be a bit of a shock to the body to wake up and all of a sudden have to figure out what to do with some toast, eggs and bacon (or whatever heavier cooked foods people tend to eat in the morning) We usually have a green juice first thing, then some melon or other fruit - and that's breakfast basically. Then I might have some other kind of fruit or nut snack, a big salad or collard roll-ups or something for lunch/dinner, then back to fruit and lighter foods later to ease my body back into a more restful state. I don't recommend eating heavily too late, either, because when you go to bed, instead of being able to refresh and recharge, your body instead has to focus on digestion. That's not what sleep is for. So, I think it would be wise to consume the heaviest things towards the middle of the day - that's when our digestion is the strongest anyway. Hope that was helpful...
Old 06-29-2008, 12:46 AM

Thank you, EdenLove That makes really good sense...esp. what you said about heaviest food being eaten mid-day.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

I just ordered "Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 People" today, because it's been so hot here and being 9 months pregnant I am constantly hungry, and I think those two things amount to another raw recipe phase. I've been happy to just throw together whatever and eat simply, but I do go through phases where I want more. The recipe books I have are good, but more gourmet and more complicated...so we'll see what I think of this one.

Otherwise, I'm upping the greens in a big way. Hoping to make lots of rich, nutritious milk for the new arrival!

What are the rest of you up to?

Old 07-02-2008, 10:58 PM

subbing- I just read some raw cookbooks and have really been inspired! Hoping to lurk here and get some good ideas! :
Old 07-03-2008, 02:25 PM

Still w/o a fridge (29 days, but who's counting? Oh right....ME. :S) I've really made a turnaround even not at 100% raw where after having not felt well after the *choco chip cookie incident* last week my body AND mind just want fruits and veggies the vast majority of the time. I love that! And my mind even wants them at times when I typically would have snacked on something that was one of those not-bad-but-not-really-nutritious things like pretzels.

On a not-as-positive note...I am working on liking a bigger variety of greens and my local natural market co-op has an amazing deli with delicious food. They have 2 amazing salads and I decided to try one with kale, chard, carrot shreds, cukes, tomatoes, etc. in a garlicky vinaigrette and I'm so embarassed, but I nearly gagged. The texture! So I'll keep trying, keep working on it, but why in the world can't a grown woman make herself like something she wants to like!?!?

Old 07-03-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Still w/o a fridge (29 days, but who's counting? Oh right....ME. :S) I've really made a turnaround even not at 100% raw where after having not felt well after the *choco chip cookie incident* last week my body AND mind just want fruits and veggies the vast majority of the time. I love that! And my mind even wants them at times when I typically would have snacked on something that was one of those not-bad-but-not-really-nutritious things like pretzels.

On a not-as-positive note...I am working on liking a bigger variety of greens and my local natural market co-op has an amazing deli with delicious food. They have 2 amazing salads and I decided to try one with kale, chard, carrot shreds, cukes, tomatoes, etc. in a garlicky vinaigrette and I'm so embarassed, but I nearly gagged. The texture! So I'll keep trying, keep working on it, but why in the world can't a grown woman make herself like something she wants to like!?!?
I have a hard time actually "loving" lettuce, I eat it but i'm not too keen on it.

I'm not actually doing much in terms of raw foods right now, i'm out of the house a lot now and can't spend so much time thinking about food but I always take fruit with me and hope to be making some pie again this weekend.

hh2.gif

Old 07-04-2008, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think this is fairly common actually. Victoria Boutenko talks about this aversion in her book "Green for Life". She solved it by blending her greens into smoothies and eventually the tolerance for eating greens as they are naturally returned. Interesting!

Old 07-04-2008, 06:26 PM

I have been off and on a 85% raw foodie..
I know I feel better when I am on BUT of course I always fall of and end up with weeks of fatigue and not so healthy eatting.
I am thinking about doing the Master Cleanse for 6ish days and then oing raw for the summer
I REALLY REALLY REALLY want this...
anyone done the master cleanse?
help? support? guidance?
Many thanks and much peace...
Old 07-06-2008, 12:25 PM

Hi everyone! So happy to find this thread!!!!!!!!:
subbing...still need to go back to read all posts but thought I'd give a wave.

I am preparing to go 100% and have been on a total green smoothie kick. I've done it before and know that I function soooo much better. Looking forward to reading all your posts.
I don't know if anyone has mentioned her but I've been following Bunny Berry's 100 days of raw on youtube (search rawfoodpower) and have found it hilarious and inspiring. I haven't caught up to her in real time yet. I started from the beginning.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:23 PM

: Great Thread!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:49 AM

I might have to post this somewhere else, but...

We have a morning shakie, juice (or wheat grass).

I just found out my daughter is allergic to a couple of types of grasses. (Johnson and Bahia). She was tested for a lot of things and 2 out of the 5 grasses came up positive.

Does this mean I should cut out the "Green Powders" and Wheat Grass I feed her?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllrym View Post
I might have to post this somewhere else, but...

We have a morning shakie, juice (or wheat grass).

I just found out my daughter is allergic to a couple of types of grasses. (Johnson and Bahia). She was tested for a lot of things and 2 out of the 5 grasses came up positive.

Does this mean I should cut out the "Green Powders" and Wheat Grass I feed her?
Hi there...I will post a reply to this here:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...9#post11711759

There is a new summer thread...let's all post over there!!!

User Tag List