Raw Foods and Breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 03-07-2008, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all.

My husband is starting a raw food / detox program next week and will be eating only raw foods for a month. I would like to join him as long as I can and my goal (at least initially) is to eat all raw. Since my son's birth, I have very low energy and feel generally weak and sluggish. I think most of this is due to the extra weight I am still carrying around and my diet. I also have eczema and dark circles under my eyes. I am still breastfeeding our son, and I'm wondering if there's any reason to reconsider, in terms of my body getting rid of toxins in the breastmilk and decreasing the amount of breastmilk I am producing. I'm not going to be taking any of the supplements, just eating raw foods.

(My diet now is about 10% raw and 95% organic.)

Has anyone gone raw while breastfeeding? Did it dramatically change the amount of breastmilk you produced? Success stories?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 03-07-2008, 01:52 AM

Don't do a detox/cleanse while breastfeeding. You will excrete toxins in your breastmilk.
#3 of 23 Old 03-07-2008, 11:33 AM

I agree. Don't go raw right now. It will cause your body to detox and that will show up in your milk.

If you are concerned about your energy level and or your weight being negatively affected by your diet, you could modify your diet in a less extreme way. Increasing fresh, steamed vegetables and whole grains, decreasing dairy, processed grains, etc.

I want to do a cleanse too, even more so as spring approaches, but I am breastfeeding my one-year-old. She still nurses a lot, so I guess I'll just have to wait.
#4 of 23 Old 03-07-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygir1 View Post
I agree. Don't go raw right now. It will cause your body to detox and that will show up in your milk.

If you are concerned about your energy level and or your weight being negatively affected by your diet, you could modify your diet in a less extreme way. Increasing fresh, steamed vegetables and whole grains, decreasing dairy, processed grains, etc.

I want to do a cleanse too, even more so as spring approaches, but I am breastfeeding my one-year-old. She still nurses a lot, so I guess I'll just have to wait.
I agree too . . . you could modify (or begin) your exercise routine too help with the energy issues. The guideline for weight loss for nursing mothers is no more than 2 lbs. a week or it will affect your milk.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#5 of 23 Old 03-07-2008, 12:06 PM

this is interesting...
what about women who are already raw (have been for quite a while
) & breastfeeding? do they not have toxic milk bc their body is already used to the diet???? anyone know?
#6 of 23 Old 03-07-2008, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It's not safe to do a HEAVY detox while nursing, but you dont' have to wait until the baby weans for gentle detoxing. The key is to go slow and easy, making gradual changes rather than doing things like "for a month I'll be extra strict then later I'll add other things in." Detox while nursing has to be the opposite- super gentle and slow, making modest changes in your diet, waiting for your body to adjust before making more changes- or possibly staying at a more gentle level for the long term.

Adding in a few more raw foods is fine. Even having one whole raw meal per day (so you and DH could eat the same dinner, for example) is probably OK, as long as you listen to your body and add in more cooked foods if your body craves them. It may be possible for you to safely go "all raw" but that would need to be done gradually, not "cold turkey" (cold tofu? ) Say you eat 15% raw one week, then 25% raw the next week, and gradually increase the amounts, stopping when you reach a point where you feel good.

If you were already eating 100% raw before and during pg, then your body would be used to it, and likely would have already dumped all the toxins out of your system, leaving very few to be dumped into your milk now.

The baby CAN handle a small amount of toxins excreted from your body into the milk- you just don't want to overwhelm the baby's system. Gradual detox means that only a small amount of toxins get into the milk at a time (and far more are excreted through sweat and urine anyway.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#7 of 23 Old 03-07-2008, 12:38 PM

Going raw isn't 'doing a heavy detox'

Would I be right in assuming that you are going to be eating a reasonable amount of dehydrated foods and of nuts/seed based things? With those you'll make a fairly gentle transition and should be fine whilst bf as long as you get enough calories :-)

You could go 'up' to about 50% without noticing too much anyway - you are probably nearer to that than you realise anyway, unless you cook everything for every single meal....

Swap out standard breakfast cereal for a raw porridge or museli, and have at least 2 or 3 pieces of fruit a day for starters. Add in a dose of greens to your smoothie and then eat at least 3 more servings through the rest of the day (cooked or not cooked, up to you). Those will get you underway nicely :-)
#8 of 23 Old 03-07-2008, 02:31 PM

going raw would be fine, as PP said it is NOT heavy detox.

You can mitigate how much detoxing you do by eating many soft fruits/tomatoes and by eating plenty of raw nuts/avocado/oils. YOu'd want to do that last part anyway to keep up with calorie/fat needs of breastfeeding.
#9 of 23 Old 03-07-2008, 03:15 PM

i would saying going raw is fine....i don't consider it heavy detoxing.....

just make sure you eat lost of fat--avocado, oils, seeds, nuts...

j
#10 of 23 Old 03-07-2008, 03:18 PM

i was breastfeeding when i did all raw 30 days, and then high raw afterward--i checked with a raw food nutritionist and they said it should be fine for baby...
#11 of 23 Old 03-07-2008, 04:05 PM

I highly recommend Natalia Roses's Raw Food Detox Diet. She writes extensively about raw foods and breastfeeding.

I am nursing a 6 month old and have been transitioning to raw since the end of January. I am basically 'raw until dinner', green smoothies every morning and lots of salads and raw snacks, then dinner is most often cooked vegan. I also occasionally eat eggs and fish. I entirely avoid meat, dairy, wheat, and all processed foods. This has been SO much easier than I expected.

I've seen major benefits just from this switch- I've lost extra weight, my digestion is greatly improved, my general health is 180 degrees better.

I don't think it's a good idea to switch to 100% while nursing but there's a lot that you can do in terms of increasing raw and decreasing cooked.

Great resources:

http://www.therawfooddetoxdiet.com
http://www.happyfoody.com (MDC mama!)
http://www.rawfoodtalk.com
http://www.giveittomeraw.com

I hope that helps! Take care.
#12 of 23 Old 03-07-2008, 04:15 PM

I wanted to add that dramatically increasing the amount of greens you are eating (smoothies and salads, for example) will likely produce an increase in your milk supply.
#13 of 23 Old 03-07-2008, 05:22 PM

Sorry to keep popping in here. I also just wanted to mention that I don't think it's wrong or bad to go raw while breastfeeding, just that it wasn't right for me. After all, I was eating beef up until January so it's likely I had more to detox than some. Other mamas have great success transitioning to and being 100% raw while nursing.
#14 of 23 Old 03-08-2008, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

I think the biggest change in going all raw for me would be not having any dairy. I do eat a fair amount of raw cheese and drink a lot of raw milk. I guess I do eat more than 10% raw already...it's probably closer to 40%. And we are freakishly careful about what we put into or on our bodies here, and have been for at least 6 years. For example, I don't put anything on my body that I wouldn't eat. And we are really careful about our food choices and where the food comes from. Our meats are all from a local organic farm and our raw milk is from a very credible source. We don't vaccinate and I haven't had any medications or over-the-counter things for at least 6 years. All of our grains are sprouted, we avoid anything with transfats, MSG, sugar... the list goes on and on.

so I guess my question is where are all of the toxins coming from that I need to be wary of?
#15 of 23 Old 03-08-2008, 12:51 PM

When you do a detox the toxins will be leached in your breastmilk. You are living a very healthy lifestyle, what is the urgency for a cleanse?
#16 of 23 Old 03-08-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucactus View Post
this is interesting...
what about women who are already raw (have been for quite a while
) & breastfeeding? do they not have toxic milk bc their body is already used to the diet???? anyone know?
No. Eating raw in and of itself doesn't cause "toxic" breastmilk. The issue is making major changes while pregnant or breastfeeding. If you are doing what your body is used to, then your body will not be dumping extra gunk.
#17 of 23 Old 03-08-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen_A View Post
Going raw isn't 'doing a heavy detox'

Would I be right in assuming that you are going to be eating a reasonable amount of dehydrated foods and of nuts/seed based things? With those you'll make a fairly gentle transition and should be fine whilst bf as long as you get enough calories :-)

You could go 'up' to about 50% without noticing too much anyway - you are probably nearer to that than you realise anyway, unless you cook everything for every single meal....

Swap out standard breakfast cereal for a raw porridge or museli, and have at least 2 or 3 pieces of fruit a day for starters. Add in a dose of greens to your smoothie and then eat at least 3 more servings through the rest of the day (cooked or not cooked, up to you). Those will get you underway nicely :-)
I don't think anyone is saying that going raw is a heavy detox, although it depends on the diet prior to the change.

I think it is really important to make the change relatively gradually to minimize the detoxifying effect of the dietary change.

10% raw to 100% raw overnight is a fairly significant change. If a person went from eating meat daily to 100% veg overnight, I think that person's body would detox as well.

Just take it easy and you have nothing to worry about. Also, I don't think your supply is in danger in any case as long as you continue to eat well.
#18 of 23 Old 03-08-2008, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanta View Post
what is the urgency for a cleanse?
No urgency... my husband is going all raw next week and I'd like to not have to prepare two meals (raw vs cooked). I also think all of the dairy I eat and drink is contributing to mucous and eczema and I would just like to cut back. I was just trying to be careful so my son doesn't get added toxins in his breastmilk by me eating more raw foods. We are so careful about everything else we put into our bodies, that I really wanted to know that my breastmilk is still okay, even if I'm eating larger percentages of raw food.
#19 of 23 Old 03-08-2008, 04:03 PM

I would just add some raw in slowly. If you are already eating pretty well you will not have a major detox. Eating raw is a good thing. There are toxins in breastmilk no matter what you do. I read a study that said every woman they tested had jet fuel in her breastmilk. I don't think a raw meal or 2 can hurt anything!
#20 of 23 Old 03-09-2008, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, ladies. I really appreciate it. I will just plan to add more raw food gradually and see how it goes. Is there anything I need to look for in terms of effects on my son (rashes, bumps, etc.) to know that I need to back off a bit?
#21 of 23 Old 03-10-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenCrunch View Post
Thanks for the responses, ladies. I really appreciate it. I will just plan to add more raw food gradually and see how it goes. Is there anything I need to look for in terms of effects on my son (rashes, bumps, etc.) to know that I need to back off a bit?
I would look more to yourself for symptoms. If you are feeling worn down, sick or flu-like symptoms, achy, tired, etc. definitely back off.

If you do notice any change in your son, like digestive troubles, I would ease up a little too, but you probably won't.
#22 of 23 Old 03-11-2008, 12:48 AM

One interesting thing about our bodies is that we are all detoxing every night, when the liver does it's thing. The toxins that are filtered out of the blood stream are dumped into the lower intestines in the bile from the liver. This happens during the night (TCM says 1-3 am, and I've heard that verified by Western science, but I can't find any references right now).

So after the bile from the liver gets into the bowels its REALLY, REALLY IMPORTANT that there is plenty of fiber to absorb the toxins and carry them out of the body. If there's not enough fiber (I have no idea what this amount is, but I think anyone eating whole foods diets probably has plenty) then the toxins get reabsorbed back into the body.

My naturopath recommended taking 1 tsp - 1 Tbsp of french green clay (calcium bentonite clay is used also) in 1 cup of water, letting it soak overnight and drinking first thing in the morning. Clay is wonderful at absorbing toxins, bacterias and viruses (good to take while travelling in unfamiliar places). I haven't come across anything suggesting that clay is unsafe during pregnancy or breastfeeding, but I'm no kind of an expert - just sharing my experience (it helped tremendously with a weird stomach bug I got last year, and I drink it pretty regularly with no bad effects).

Your diet already sounds very healthy so it doesn't seem like upping raw foods is likely to cause your body to go into a detox mode. Now if you were coming off of a diet coke/doritos kind of diet, that might be a different matter. If anything I would imagine the quality of your breastmilk will get better.

O, and as far as mucous-forming foods go, I was surprised to find out recently that basically all cooked foods are mucous-forming, as well as meat, dairy, soy and grains.
#23 of 23 Old 03-11-2008, 03:04 AM

I went all raw overnight while nursing. Ds was around 18 mo. I did notice a decrease in my milk, although it went right back up as I started eating more fats and greens. Before making that change I was vegan for 3 years and had been eating lots of raw in the form of smoothies for breakfast, fruit as snacks, raw veg here and there, and salads daily. I think you will be alright. Definitely get fats in and lots of greens. If you think dairy isn't good in your body I believe you will be doing yourself a favor by cutting back or cutting it out. The first couple days I felt a bit fuzzy but got over that quickly especially when I ate more, got into a groove. Ds has always been healthy, he did not physically seem to notice the change in my body. Good luck to you! Mary

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page