School Lunches - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-10-2008, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What about some school lunch ideas? All I can think of is PB&J sandwiches. It has to be something that doesn't need to be heated and can be carried to school easily. Thanks!

Jessie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-10-2008, 01:40 AM

wraps (hummus, beans, greens, avocado, olives, etc), chick-pea sandwiches (mashed chick peas with diced pickle/onion, onion/garlic powder and salt), portobello/avocado/tomato sandwiches, PB and (banana, raspberries/etc) sandwiches or wraps, cut veggies and dip (hummus, vegan ranch, etc), trail mix, fresh fruit, etc.
#3 of 6 Old 03-10-2008, 02:25 AM

Vegan Lunch Box

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#4 of 6 Old 03-10-2008, 05:04 AM

if you eat tofu a really good sandwich is
fry tofu in some oil on both sides till kinda crispy and add barbacue sauce then put on bread and it becomes a barbacue tofu sandwich
growing up veg this was my favorite sandwich as a kid
#5 of 6 Old 03-10-2008, 10:00 AM

You've already gotten some good ideas. There are many other options besides sandwiches. And don't forget about leftovers that might be good at room temperature the next day; I often set aside a little extra from a meal to save for school. And you can make extra of many things to freeze so that you don't have to do a lot of preparation in the morning.
I started blogging about this subject a month ago actually!

There are a lot of blogs and Flickr photo galleries dedicated to packing veg lunches.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#6 of 6 Old 03-10-2008, 10:07 AM

You'd be suprised all the things that don't need to be heated, even food that we usually think of as a hot lunch doesn't really need to be hot. Today for example, my DS is bringing pancakes and breakfast sausages (would work fine with TVP sausages), and a banana. I often pack eggrolls for him. Hard boiled eggs work too, if you eat eggs. Things that can be dipped like crackers and hummus or chips and salsa, DS likes that. Quesadillas because he can hold them easy. The Vegan Lunchbox blog is great, so is lunchinabox.net (but that one's not vegitarian but you could still get ideas.)

Single mom of 2 boys

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page