Mothering Forum banner

Vegans would you eat an egg if...

1K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Hesperia 
#1 ·
the egg came from someone like your own mother? The reason I ask is my mom is a vegetarian and raises chicken mostly for pets. We used to joke she treats them better than us. They arent caged, she has sooo much land. Since you knew they came from a good source and the chickens were not harmed would you eat them?

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 View Post
I wouldn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants View Post
No.
Why not?

#5 ·
Eh, I guess it would depend on the circumstances. Eggs gross me out, but if I were, say, pregnant and craving a fried egg sandwich (I did with the first one, but I was L/O then), maybe. But not just because she offered or it was there or so as not to offend.

FWIW, I hang out with chickens who get the absolute best care possible, and I don't eat their eggs. They do, though.
They coming running, so excited, when they see me because they know I'll turn those worthless white orbs into breakfast for them.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by VegAmanda View Post
Eh, I guess it would depend on the circumstances. Eggs gross me out, but if I were, say, pregnant and craving a fried egg sandwich (I did with the first one, but I was L/O then), maybe. But not just because she offered or it was there or so as not to offend.

FWIW, I hang out with chickens who get the absolute best care possible, and I don't eat their eggs. They do, though.
They coming running, so excited, when they see me because they know I'll turn those worthless white orbs into breakfast for them.
Ok, that's weird. Chickens eat their own babies? Ew.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TattooedMommy View Post
Ok, that's weird. Chickens eat their own babies? Ew.
Not babies yet, just eggs. (Of course, I've seen the roosters catch mice!) Laying as frequently as they're bred to takes a lot out of them nutritionally, so they have no issues with taking that nutrition back.

Of course, when one starts getting broody, wanting to actually hatch the eggs and not just laying them and leaving, we have to be a little more sensitive to their motherly sensibilities.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amila View Post
I have two friends who are very strict vegans and they have their own chickens and do eat their eggs.
See, to me, if someone is a "very strict vegan," that person doesn't eat eggs. If s/he does, s/he is an ovo-vegetarian who gets eggs from a humane source.

In response to the OP, no I would not eat the eggs. Not because I would be worried about the treatment of the chickens in a situation like you describe but b/c I don't find the idea of eating an animal's menstrual cycle very appealing. I also don't believe that it would be positive in terms of my health and see no reason to eat something unappealing if it isn't beneficial in some way.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristaN View Post
See, to me, if someone is a "very strict vegan," that person doesn't eat eggs. If s/he does, s/he is an ovo-vegetarian who gets eggs from a humane source.

This.

I truly believe that animal products just aren't ours to use, no matter how "ethically" they're obtained. By eating eggs from those chickens, they're still continuing to see the animals and the things their bodies produces as commodities and as food. To me, they're just not. They're also bad for your health. To me, there is no upside or compelling reason to eat them when you absolutely don't have to.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amila View Post
I have two friends who are very strict vegans and they have their own chickens and do eat their eggs.
Well then they're not vegans at all.
But it's nice that they care enough to take good care of their chickens.

And no, I wouldn't eat the eggs.

#12 ·
Quote:

. They're also bad for your health.
I think it is far too black and white to make this statement. Maybe they're bad for your health but certainly not for everyone's health.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by veganf View Post
Well then they're not vegans at all.
But it's nice that they care enough to take good care of their chickens.
I agree.

Although, most vegans are vegan for ethical reasons, I can see how someone who calls themselves vegan could perhaps then have no issues eating ethically raised eggs. I wouldn't call them vegan though because all the serious vegans I know hold the same views as whateverdidiwants, namely that animal products are simply just not for human use.

A strict veg*n, i.e. one who doesn't eat animal products for his/her health, I assume, would aschew eggs no matter how ethically they're raised.

#15 ·
I'd say the "it depends" too. Generally speaking no. But now that I'm pregnant with hyperemesis most bets are off and I'd sure rather eat an egg from hens I knew were healthy and well cared for than the kind from the store. For me right now, it's a good thing I *can* eat eggs. My nutrition is so very compromised right now and I can't eat some of the most basic things like nuts, beans, veggies.

Once this babe is out, I'll be back to my healthful veg diet.

#16 ·
Quote:

Eh, I don't think that anyone needs that much extra cholesterol, but ymmv.
I think if you take a historical/anthropological view, you will note that there have indeed been peoples who ate eggs and "all that extra cholesterol" and weren't dropping like flies and were actually pretty healthy . . . especially if the predominant foods in the diets were vegetables, fruits and other plant foods that have no cholesterol.

But if you eat eggs and find your body cholesterol shooting uncontrollably up, then you probably should lay off the eggs. If not and if you feel well in your body, why not eat them (unless, of course, for ethical reasons)?

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NatureMama3 View Post
I'd say the "it depends" too. Generally speaking no. But now that I'm pregnant with hyperemesis most bets are off and I'd sure rather eat an egg from hens I knew were healthy and well cared for than the kind from the store. For me right now, it's a good thing I *can* eat eggs. My nutrition is so very compromised right now and I can't eat some of the most basic things like nuts, beans, veggies.

The most healthful diet is that one that you tolerate well and the one that makes you feel *well* . . .
I hope that hyperemesis leaves you alone soon.

#18 ·
Quote:

I can completely relate to this. I was a strict veg when I got preg last time. But due to hyperemesis (w/bad food adversions) and STRONG egg cravings (I had never craved eggs before in my life) I did start eating eggs and went to being ovo-lacto veg (still am).
I guess I shouldn't of posted since I'm not vegan and I have no issue with eating eggs from chickens who are treated well. But your post caught my eye and I wanted to respond to it.

#19 ·
Quote:

I'd say the "it depends" too. Generally speaking no. But now that I'm pregnant with hyperemesis most bets are off
Big hugs! My hyperemesis has gotten worse each time, which I've heard isn't uncommon. With #4 I finally had to give in a take Zofran (the liquid suspension... the tablet form isn't vegan)...still on it at 22 weeks, ugh!! I've been able to cut back my dose during the past month.
I definitely have a "whatever I can keep down" mentality too, though I still keep it within vegan boundaries, even if it's a white bagel and Twizzlers

#20 ·
thanks rootz and lavender and vegan.

it has been quite a difficulty, since my poor family is still trying to eat "good" and I can't cook for them much less myself.

eta:

I'm on zofran, have been on (1 pill a day--don't get me started. I'm at the point where I want to mail doctors vomit) since 7-8 weeks or so.

I really thought I could keep my vegan boundaries but I started vomiting anything up that was bean, nut, soy (even milk), etc. By the time I was down to ramen noodles only and then lost those I realized I needed to try dairy/eggs. about all I *can* eat now is dairy and eggs. I just have to shut my mind down for a bit and do what has to be done. It's only 10 months.. it's only 10 months...

#21 ·
I'm not a fan of eggs, so no.

But I don't have a problem with it ethically. Though I wouldn't consider a person who eats eggs in that scenario to be vegan. I would call them strict vegetarian. IMO, vegan is not only about diet, but about lifestyle. And the definition of veganism (the one created by the founder of the vegan movement) states that no animals or animal products are to be used/consumed.

#22 ·
Quote:

I'm on zofran, have been on (1 pill a day--don't get me started. I'm at the point where I want to mail doctors vomit) since 7-8 weeks or so.

I really thought I could keep my vegan boundaries but I started vomiting anything up that was bean, nut, soy (even milk), etc. By the time I was down to ramen noodles only and then lost those I realized I needed to try dairy/eggs. about all I *can* eat now is dairy and eggs. I just have to shut my mind down for a bit and do what has to be done. It's only 10 months.. it's only 10 months...
I have been there...you have to do what you have to do at this point to keep yourself going. I hope you're feeling better soon!

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
Why not?

Quote:

I truly believe that animal products just aren't ours to use, no matter how "ethically" they're obtained. By eating eggs from those chickens, they're still continuing to see the animals and the things their bodies produces as commodities and as food. To me, they're just not.
This, exactly.

#26 ·
I would not. As a vegan, I don't consume or use animal products because they are not mine to use or consume. If you choose to eat eggs then the situation you describe would be the best resource for your eggs. It wouldn't be vegan to do so though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.