Help! What to feed inlaws? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 04-23-2008, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post
I've subbed short grain brown rice for it before, and it's been fine. Barley isn't something I keep in the house, but I buy rice in 25 pound bags.
Cool. Thanks.
#32 of 38 Old 04-23-2008, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzysmama View Post
What about Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms maybe with some mashed potatoes and we always like grilled vegis or asparagus alongside (although I see that your FIL won't touch anything green.) Any how , I have a recipe for the mushrooms if you want it -very satisfying.
Also, I always used to trick my extended family with vegi buscuits and gravy. Both of these dishes are my DP's favorites (he is not a vegetarian.)
Oh! what about twice baked potatoes?
Yes please! I would love the recipe. Unfortunately, the only gf biscuits I've tried aren't all that great. Twice baked potatoes is a great idea!
#33 of 38 Old 04-23-2008, 12:51 AM

I feel your pain My DH is a super picky, meat, potatoes and white bread type...ugh...we have only a few meals that we eat together....

what about a pot pie? You could do a gf crust and fill it with potatoes, corn and maybe even peas and carrots

I also have made a "beef" stew using chunks of TVP (DH could barely tell)

Other favorites are stuffed shells or baked ziti using the cashew ricotta recipe from Veganomicon, and the chickpea cutlets (very "meaty" in texture) from Veganomicon - you could serve the cutlets with potatoes and a veggie...the perfect omni meal...

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#34 of 38 Old 04-23-2008, 01:02 AM

What about a taco salad type thing? Once you get all the stuff mixed together and seasoned up, it's easy to hide burger crumbles. Also, I don't know if the Boca or Morningstar chicken patties have gluten in them but they are pretty good and if you make those into a chicken parmesan type thing with lots of sauce and a gf pasta, he might not notice. Also, chili with burger crumbles works. My dh has eaten it at my parents' and he thought it was turkey. lol
#35 of 38 Old 04-23-2008, 04:27 PM

Here ya go!

This recipe is for 2, so you'd have to adjust accordingly:

2 Portabella mushrooms
olive oil
1/2 green bell
1/4 red onion
large clove garlic
3-dried apricots or small handful golden raisins chopped
1/3 c. italian breadcrumbs
1/3 c. walnuts
1/2 c. parmesean cheese plus extra for tops
1/2 cup motz.
fresh basil and parsley to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Chop onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Add to heated olive oil. Scoop out "insides" of mushrooms and add to skillet. Add chopped herbs and salt and peper to taste. Add Bragg's if you have some. Turn off heat and add walnuts, apricots, cheeses and breadcrumbs. Oil inside and outside of mushrooms and stuff and pat and stuff! Sprinkle with parmesean cheese and drizzle with olive oil. Cook for ten to fifteen minutes. ENJOY!!!
#36 of 38 Old 04-24-2008, 10:01 PM

I suggest making them a Sunday dinner sort of meal for one of the evenings/late afternoons: vegetarian loaf with gravy, mashed potatoes, steamed veggies and green salad. It's impressive, healthy, and comfort food-y. I recently tried the magical loaf studio link from veganlunchbox.com, and it was sort of fun. I also recommend the mock chicken florentine loaf recipe from the PETA cookbook Please Don't Eat the Animals. Hope it all goes well!
#37 of 38 Old 04-24-2008, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! You've been fabulous. I'm taking notes. The recipes looks very yummy izzysmama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August View Post
What about a taco salad type thing? Once you get all the stuff mixed together and seasoned up, it's easy to hide burger crumbles. Also, I don't know if the Boca or Morningstar chicken patties have gluten in them but they are pretty good and if you make those into a chicken parmesan type thing with lots of sauce and a gf pasta, he might not notice.
Unfortunately, they both do. It's really, really hard to find any meat analogs that are gluten free. We make a taco salad with the gf soyrizo. That might work pretty well. Thanks for the suggestion!
#38 of 38 Old 04-28-2008, 11:25 PM

Glad to help you! lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page