What's for dinner? May. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 223 Old 05-08-2008, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tonight was porcini mushroom tortellini w/ broccoli and tomatoes in garlic sauce. Unfortunately, there were no leftovers (and I really wanted to have some left for lunch tomorrow!).
#62 of 223 Old 05-08-2008, 05:02 PM

Last night was egg pie with broccoli & portabello mushroom

Tonight were trying the apricot glazed tofu & zuch fries mentioned in this thread :

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#63 of 223 Old 05-08-2008, 08:01 PM

I've got Spinach Calzones in the oven. They smell delicious! I took a package of Trader Joe's whole wheat pizza dough and divided it in half, and stuffed them with chopped squeezed frozen spinach, mozzarella soy cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and black olives.

They should be filling enough so I didn't make any side dishes.

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#64 of 223 Old 05-08-2008, 10:55 PM

The calzones sound excellent! And super easy...my fave!

Thanks to my awesome neighbor, we had pistachio basil pesto with sundried tomatoes and artichokes over fuselli pasta. Delicious!

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

#65 of 223 Old 05-08-2008, 11:34 PM

It was veggie sushi night with a side of miso soup and edamame.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#66 of 223 Old 05-09-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
I've got Spinach Calzones in the oven. They smell delicious! I took a package of Trader Joe's whole wheat pizza dough and divided it in half, and stuffed them with chopped squeezed frozen spinach, mozzarella soy cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and black olives.
Yum! I tried making something similar last month (with TJ's WW pizza crust), but I used WAY too much crust per calzone, so they were really heavy. I'll have to try again.

love.gif

#67 of 223 Old 05-09-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksprklybarefoot View Post
Yum! I tried making something similar last month (with TJ's WW pizza crust), but I used WAY too much crust per calzone, so they were really heavy. I'll have to try again.
They came out really well. What I did was I divided the dough in half and rolled out each piece pretty thin (1/4 inch thick), about the size of a round small to medium pizza. Then I spread the whole thing with pizza sauce but just put the toppings on the bottom half. That makes it easy to just fold it in half and then seal the edges with the tines of a fork. It makes 2 large calzones.

I used to make them all the time when I was eating cheese, but this is the first time I made it with soy cheese. It was still delicious.

#68 of 223 Old 05-09-2008, 01:04 AM

When I did calzones the last time, I did a bunch of small ones. I had a feeling that that was my problem. I've done big ones before with little problem. I'll try big ones next time. Thanks!

What brand of soy cheese did you use? This is one area that I have been afraid to explore due to fear of disappointment.

love.gif

#69 of 223 Old 05-09-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksprklybarefoot View Post
What brand of soy cheese did you use? This is one area that I have been afraid to explore due to fear of disappointment.
I used the mozzarella kind from Trader Joe's that is in a block. (I grated it). It contains casein, so not totally vegan, but I am a bad vegan.

#70 of 223 Old 05-09-2008, 01:35 AM

Hot and Sour soup with added in quinoa for super nutrition addititve! Inspired by my favorite Thai restaurant's Tom Yum soup.

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

#71 of 223 Old 05-09-2008, 10:03 AM

Last night turtle made this amazing millet loaf, served with spicy spinach and whole grain toast. SO good.

Update on the masaman: She's still perfecting the recipe, but I'll share it with you once she's got it down.
#72 of 223 Old 05-09-2008, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Wednesday night we had a big salad with spinach, avocados, heirlooms , tempeh (soaked in wine then baked), cajun seasoned cashews, peppers, and we used salsa as the dressing.

Last night we had sexy potatoes again with a side of orzo mixed with avocados, salsa and roasted garlic. I also made a vegan strawberry rubharb pie.
#73 of 223 Old 05-11-2008, 10:07 AM

Thursday night we had Shepherd's pie using morningstar crumbles, topped with garlic mashed potatoes.

Friday was Quorn chick nuggets, Alexia fries and apples.

Last night was homemade mac and cheese- the sauce was kind of half dairy cheese and half nutritional yeast. Really good! Served with roasted asparagus, sourdough bread, and salad.

Happy Mother's Day!!
#74 of 223 Old 05-11-2008, 07:44 PM

I haven't been cooking a lot. Last night we went to El Torito's and I had the veggie fajitas. Yum! I had my leftovers for lunch today.
#75 of 223 Old 05-11-2008, 11:23 PM

Tonight I made a lovely ceasarish salad with quorn bits, and super sweet pots, smashed. Totally filling and yummy! The kids really gobbled, I guess they WERE hungry!

Monday: I think we'll do a tempeh thing with chips .
Tues: Chocolate chili and baked potatoes
Wed: Something delicious with avocados, maybe some pasta.
Thurs: unsure...
Fri: Maybe we'll try the calzones! Those sound awesome.

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#76 of 223 Old 05-12-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeca View Post
Tues: Chocolate chili and baked potatoes
Please tell me more... :

I made a crock pot full of what I call kitchen sink chili I use whatever I have on hand at the time. I think today's has canned diced tomatoes, veg broth, black beans, pinto beans, lentils, tvp, sweet potato, corn, zucchini, onion, chili powder, cumin, garlic salt & a pinch of cinnamon

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#77 of 223 Old 05-12-2008, 02:45 PM

There must be something chili in the air. We've got lentil chili planned for tonight.
#78 of 223 Old 05-12-2008, 04:56 PM

We're having spring asparagus minestrone with crusty bread :-). First minestrone recipe I've ever seen that doesn't include tomatoes. But, it looks and smells wonderful!

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

#79 of 223 Old 05-12-2008, 05:34 PM

Yum- that asparagus minestrone sounds great. Can you share the recipe?

Tonight we'll either have peanut butter pasta with peas (thank you to someone on this thread for the recipe!) or butternut squash ravioli from the freezer. And tonight I'll prep African Style Sweet Potato Stew to put in the slow cooker tomorrow morning. Yum!
#80 of 223 Old 05-12-2008, 07:51 PM

Mon-- Pesto w/ whole grain pasta & roasted cherry tomatoes
Tues-- Calzones
Wed--Beany burritos w/ lots of guacamole :
Thurs -- Tofu burgers w/ homemade fries
Fri --Beany burritos, part deux
Sat -- Couscous w/ garbanzo beans

It's making me hungry looking at everybody's delish dinner ideas!!
#81 of 223 Old 05-12-2008, 11:17 PM

Tonight was white beans in miso sauce over collard greens w/ cranberries. Served that with a baguette and an out-of-this-world curried roasted carrot garlic dip.

love.gif

#82 of 223 Old 05-13-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneMom View Post
Yum- that asparagus minestrone sounds great. Can you share the recipe?
Sure! It's from the Culinary School of the Rockies. I've modified the ingredient list to include items I added. I also made it without cheese, but will leave it in the list:

Spring Minestrone Soup with Asparagus
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Serves 8

Ingredients:

3 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cup yellow onion, small dice
2 cup carrot, small dice
2 cup celery, small dice
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 fennel bulb, stalks trimmed and bulb chopped
1 pound new potatoes, small dice
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into ½" pieces
5 cup spinach or chard, tough stems removed and leaves chopped
1, 15 oz. can white beans, drained and rinsed
2 1/2 c. cooked orzo pasta
12 cup vegetable stock or water
1, 2" piece of rind cut from a wedge of Parmigiano-Reggiano (optional)
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method:

In a large stock pot over medium heat, heat oil and add first three vegetables. Cook until tender and add garlic. Cook garlic for two minutes then add fennel and new potatoes. Season vegetables with salt and pepper.
Add vegetable stock or water and bring to a simmer. Add Parmigiano rind (optional), thyme, bay leaf and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are al dente.
Add white beans, cooked orzo, spinach/chard, and asparagus and cook until asparagus is tender.
Season with salt and pepper and serve. Garnish with a dollop of fresh pesto (optional) and a shaving of Parmigiano-Reggiano.

It's delicious!

#83 of 223 Old 05-13-2008, 11:26 AM

I really want the out of this world curried carrot dip recipe...pleeze!!!

Chocolate chili is as simple as you want - or as complex. Ah, the beauty of chili!

I used whole roasted tomatoes, peeled (4 big beefsteaks), a can of tom. paste, 3 c. veg broth (I used water and tossed in 2 cubes), lots of chili powder, you could easily add tvp or some gimme lean or something, olive oil, red and black beans - again ANY beans or even lentils would work fine - onions and garlic chopped small, bunch more spices to your own taste (I use cumin, paprika, etc.) and herbs, and 4-6 squares of really nice rich dark chocolate (70% cacao). I used arty bar because they're localish for us. Melt, stir, bubble bubble, hardly any toil, no trouble, and serve with whatever you like. I usually make enough for 2-3 dinners, and serve one with baked potatoes, one with rice, and one as a side with something else like roasted veggies or a rice and cheese casserole or whatever as a main. It freezes really well, of course, and is totally yummy.

Enjoy!

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#84 of 223 Old 05-13-2008, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Monday night we had a chickpea chili with wild rice and beer bread.

Last night we had homemade hummus, with pita bread and tabouli.
#85 of 223 Old 05-13-2008, 04:21 PM

Wow, it's almost half-way through the month and I am just now getting to the thread.

I guess it's for the best, we haven't been eating anything too exciting lately. I expected my first CSA basket last week, but because of a really crappy early spring it was delayed. I didn't go to the store because I was expecting the basket of goodies, then I was too lazy to go to the store so we've been eating out of the freezer and pantry for over a week now.

But, there's hope, CSA basket WILL be ready for pick up tomorrow, so hopefully some creativity will wash over me again!!

Tonight we are haivng Sunshine Burgers (California style, with cucumber, avocado, and cilantro Vegenaise), and I'm still trying to come up with a side. Maybe just some oven fries, I don't know, I'm kind of uninspired these days!!!
#86 of 223 Old 05-13-2008, 04:28 PM

Tonight it's hummus w/ veggies, green peach smoothies and *maybe* baguette sandwhiches.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#87 of 223 Old 05-13-2008, 04:48 PM

Miso soup, veg. sushi (avocado, cucumber, carrot, oyster mushrooms, pickled radish), and mixed greens w/ ginger dressing on the menu for tonight.
#88 of 223 Old 05-13-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeca View Post
I really want the out of this world curried carrot dip recipe...pleeze!!!

Chocolate chili is as simple as you want - or as complex. Ah, the beauty of chili!

I used whole roasted tomatoes, peeled (4 big beefsteaks), a can of tom. paste, 3 c. veg broth (I used water and tossed in 2 cubes), lots of chili powder, you could easily add tvp or some gimme lean or something, olive oil, red and black beans - again ANY beans or even lentils would work fine - onions and garlic chopped small, bunch more spices to your own taste (I use cumin, paprika, etc.) and herbs, and 4-6 squares of really nice rich dark chocolate (70% cacao). I used arty bar because they're localish for us. Melt, stir, bubble bubble, hardly any toil, no trouble, and serve with whatever you like. I usually make enough for 2-3 dinners, and serve one with baked potatoes, one with rice, and one as a side with something else like roasted veggies or a rice and cheese casserole or whatever as a main. It freezes really well, of course, and is totally yummy.

Enjoy!
So it's a basic chili with some dark chocolate added in...hmmm...I'll have to give that a try next time. :

Tonight we are going to have a basic broccoli pasta. Tomorrow I am going to make cheddar & chive mashed potatoes, green beans & ??? I don't know. Maybe some lemony garlic white beans, that sounds good to me, but if I do, I don't know what to feed the kids since they'll only eat the green beans & that is if I am lucky.

#89 of 223 Old 05-13-2008, 10:01 PM

I received some rapini/brocoli rabe from my door to door Organics box, so tonight I made Rapini with Orzo, Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Pine Nuts from Robin Robertson's "Quick-Fix Vegetarian". So delicious! I also made steamed artichokes with a really yummy tarragon-lemon dipping sauce (from this month's Vegetarian Times.)

#90 of 223 Old 05-13-2008, 10:18 PM

Yum- thanks for the asparagus minestrone recipe- looks like a great one to file away for when the farmer's market really gets going around here!

Tonight was African Style Sweet Potato stew. It's one of my favs, and I wanted to enjoy it one last time before the weather gets warm.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page