What's for dinner? May. - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2008, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday we had ginger-sesame grilled tofu, grilled purple potatoes, and smoky collard greens (Vcon). Oh, and chocolate-peanut butter heavencakes for dessert (VCTOTW)!!!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Friday night we went out to dinner. Liam had sushi I had veggie tempura.

Saturday night we had pizza with hummus, tempeh, and blue potatoes. For dessert pineapple upside down cake. I used the vanilla cupcake receipe out of VCTOTW and made a cake instead of cupcakes.

Last night we had Tofu Walnut Burgers and fries.

Tonight...some sort of Chili with home-made cornbread. YUMMY. I might make a cake or something too(We are having company over).
Old 05-19-2008, 05:39 PM

Indian spiced lentils with kale with a side of brown rice. Got V'con fudgy-wudgy brownies for dessert. :

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and i just wanted to say that we had the apricot-glazed bbq tofu last night and it was a huge hit with everyone (even though I'm the only veg/vegan). Thank you!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeca View Post
Newmama2007 - can you tell me how to do the honey baked lentils? Do you use French or red?
Um...green? LOL, I guess that's French.
1c lentils
2c water
2tbsp honey (I usually double)
2tbsp soy sauce
2tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp ginger
1 clove garlic
1 small onion
salt & pepper

Bake covered in a loaf pan @ 350 degrees, serve w/ quinoa or rice!
Old 05-19-2008, 11:35 PM

Tonight I made penne with asparagus, sun dried tomatoes and olive oil and garlic, baby greens salad with dried cranberries and candied walnuts, and italian bread. It was for my parents and I, and I am very glad that my dad seemed to enjoy it (who usually only digs pasta with red sauce and/or lots of meat and potatoes). :

Old 05-20-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMama2007 View Post
Um...green? LOL, I guess that's French.
On a technical, nit-picky culinary level, French lentils are De Puy lentils. They are just like green, but smaller. I only know this because I worked at a French restaurant that served them and when it opened, we went through an exhausting training on every. Single. Ingredient. In every. Single. Dish. For all intents and purposes, they are the same. Just thought I'd add some trivia.

Keeta, your meal sounds delicious - totally something that I would be craving and make for dinner. Now that I am thinking about it...

I, or I should say we, attempted the vegetable-corn pancakes from The Passionate Vegetarian this evening. Terrible recipe. One caveat - I made the vegan version (maybe she didn't actually test her vegan variation? There was a strange silken tofu-soymilk-cornstarch sub for eggs). I followed the recipe exactly. It should have been good - pancakes with cornmeal in the batter, corn kernels, carrot and zucchini shreds, green onions. I started with a cast iron skillet. Didn't work. The pancakes stuck. DF (the professional chef) tried. They stuck. Changed to a nonstick skillet. They stuck. I was so disappointed. We wound up with a few "pancakes" and a pan full of what was essentially leavened, veggie-filled polenta. DF got impatient and dumped all of the batter into the skillet, since the pancakes weren't working.

So, dinner: A corn pancake or two, topped with corn mush, topped with fajita veggies (blackened green and red pepper and red onion with a chiffonade of basil) with a cilantro-chipotle-lime cream sauce. It was actually really tasty (DF had seconds) but the corn things weren't all that aesthetically pleasing. This is the second corn pancake recipe I've tried in the last year. I might just adapt the PETA pancake recipe and see what happens. It can't possible go worse. Heh.

love.gif

Old 05-20-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksprklybarefoot View Post
On a technical, nit-picky culinary level, French lentils are De Puy lentils. They are just like green, but smaller. I only know this because I worked at a French restaurant that served them and when it opened, we went through an exhausting training on every. Single. Ingredient. In every. Single. Dish. For all intents and purposes, they are the same. Just thought I'd add some trivia.
LOL! Thanks! Now if I ever get on Jeopardy and they ask about lentils, I'm golden! Is the taste any different?
Old 05-20-2008, 12:04 PM

Dinner last night was funny. We had a vegan potluck smorgasboard. Intruiged?? lol...We had a friend over & she brought:

hummus, falafal, pita bread, wraps and cucumber.
(I also had out
Tortilla chips with a white bean/artichoke dip,
cut up veggies (cucumber, radish, and sugar snap peas),
carrot salad (raw, ribboned carrots w/lime juice, garlic, cumin, and sesame oil),
chili-garlic fried potatoes,
and a pasta salad w/assorted olives & artichokes & pinto beans.

Phew! haha. It was a yummy mixed up meal.

I love this smiley: :
Old 05-20-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMama2007 View Post
LOL! Thanks! Now if I ever get on Jeopardy and they ask about lentils, I'm golden! Is the taste any different?
I would say not enough to be worth the price difference, but maybe I'm low-class.

love.gif

Old 05-20-2008, 08:53 PM

Tonight we had spaghetti cuz I keep putting off grocery shopping...
Old 05-20-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucactus View Post
Tonight we had spaghetti cuz I keep putting off grocery shopping...
Oh SO btdt!!!

Thanks NewMama07! I'm going to try that soon!

Pinksparkly - if there is a difference, what are the regular green ones called? Regular green? Huh... Thanks for the clarification! I, for one, had no CLUE there was a difference. If I've used 'regular' green ones, it was entirely by accident. They are both really good. I find the red ones make great soups and stews, so this makes sense, a firmer lentil will have more texture. :mrgreen

Thanks gals!

Tonights crock pot was a hit, but we had no salad fixings, so I made garlicky kale...now maybe I undercooked this, but on it's own, it was kind of bitter. What might I do differently to take out the bitter? I sauted it in a bit of olive oil and diced garlic, I ribboned it and cut the ribbons in half. Should I have added something? A touch of cider vinegar maybe? Or ginger tamari?

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
Old 05-20-2008, 11:31 PM

Made a great dinner tonight...Tofu Aloo Gobi from Vegan Express, Garam Masala Green Beans, Basmati Rice with Peas, and Naan. So yummy and we have a ton leftover for lunch tomorrow.

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
Old 05-20-2008, 11:38 PM

Tonight I made chickpea cutlets, sauteed turnip greens and spinach, mashed potato and baby turnips, and garlic bread. Oh and salad with craisins and maple walnuts. The potato-turnip combo was a first for us, and it turned out really well, like light mashed potatoes.

Now I'm counting the minutes until I can have some of this (chocolate hazelnut fudge flavor).

Old 05-21-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Pinksparkly - if there is a difference, what are the regular green ones called? Regular green? Huh... Thanks for the clarification! I, for one, had no CLUE there was a difference. If I've used 'regular' green ones, it was entirely by accident. They are both really good. I find the red ones make great soups and stews, so this makes sense, a firmer lentil will have more texture. :mrgreen
I'm not sure what the regular green ones are called. The cheap ones?

I also like the red ones, but I have to be really careful with them. They get mushy really quickly. They turn out best in something involving beets, I've found. They look so pretty that way.

I am going to have to try some baby turnips, Keeta. Just so I can say I made baby turnips. They just sound so cute. Like a vegetable I might want to hug. Oh, and I smite you for linking to that wonderful coconut product NOT CARRIED IN MY STATE, but the one next to it. I really want some strawberry lemon coconut deliciousness. But, no. Disappointment.

Tonight was grilled tofu with a cherry-apple-mustard sauce, roasted garlic mashed potatoes (a la 1992 - heh), and green beans tossed with dill and oregano (and lots of EB). : I heart mashed potatoes. Total comfort food of my childhood.

love.gif

Old 05-21-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
I am going to have to try some baby turnips, Keeta. Just so I can say I made baby turnips. They just sound so cute. Like a vegetable I might want to hug.
Dierbergs (which I consider like a vacation when I do grocery shopping there because of. all. the. awesome. selection. I'm mainly an Aldi's/cheapie store gal) has a baby veggie section, and they are SO cute. Little tiny zuchinis, carrots (real baby carrots with the green stuff on them!), tiny squashes, and turnips. DH thinks its silly to buy little tiny veggies when you can buy a whole bunch for half the price at the other grocery store, but I'm going to sneak them in soon!

It may be best to hug your veggies prior to cooking, unless you have a good apron
Old 05-21-2008, 01:28 AM

This is my first attempt at meal planning; I'm starting out with weeknight dinners. I made a big batch of fajita "guts," Mexican rice and refried (not really) black beans late last week, so that will be two meals this week:

5/19 (Mon.) - fajitas and rice
5/20 (Tue.) - tempeh loaf, potatoes and broccoli
5/21 (Wed.) - fajitas and rice
5/22 (Thu.) - amaranth and veggie stirfry
5/23 (Fri.) - biscuits and gravy, spinach salad

Monday's dinner is here and Tuesday's is here. I highly recommend the tempeh loaf we had tonight (this recipe). It was super easy, with very basic ingredients and a quick prep, and tasted fabulous. We all (me, kiddo and boyfriend) loved it! :
Old 05-21-2008, 03:09 AM

quinoa-black bean salad with mango, scallions, onion, and cilantro

I took most of the recipe from Veganomicon, but forgot to bring my shopping list to the store, so I may not have gotten it quite right

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:27 AM

We've used some of the baby veggies, they kinda taste...the same. But they are HARD to find organic, I'll tell ya!

Old 05-21-2008, 01:01 PM

Last night we had chickpea cutlets over noodles with EB and soy parmesan, with corn and peas on the side, and a big bowl of cut-up mango.

Is it weird that I like the cutlets COLD from the fridge the next day? :
Old 05-21-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Oh SO btdt!!!

Thanks NewMama07! I'm going to try that soon!

Thanks gals!

Tonights crock pot was a hit, but we had no salad fixings, so I made garlicky kale...now maybe I undercooked this, but on it's own, it was kind of bitter. What might I do differently to take out the bitter? I sauted it in a bit of olive oil and diced garlic, I ribboned it and cut the ribbons in half. Should I have added something? A touch of cider vinegar maybe? Or ginger tamari?
What I do with Kale is lightly steam it in the microwave, then add salt and pepper, olive oil & apple cider vinegar to taste. It's very yummy, though sometimes we get a bunch that is more or less tender & yummy and sometimes we buy a bunch that is a little tougher and more bitter. I also like it diced into tiny peices and stuck into a stirfry or hashbrowns or with my BBQ'd chickpeas.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:28 PM

Guys, I so want those chickpea cutlets, but am intimidated by the thought of making them...does anyone want to come to my house and cook them for me? LOL
Also, random but do they have soy in them??
Old 05-21-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Guys, I so want those chickpea cutlets, but am intimidated by the thought of making them...does anyone want to come to my house and cook them for me? LOL
I was intimidated, too. But honestly, they're super easy (of course, I cheat a little and use the bread kneading attachment on my food processor...but even without it, they're easy). Go ahead, try them and see

Tonight is leftover Indian spiced lentils with the lazy mama's variation on v'con samosa stuffed potatoes (they're more like samosa flavored home fries).

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:39 PM

Yesterday I created Coconut Lime Rice and Beans, and it was really really good. Ds said "thanks for making this, mom!"

I cooked 1 cup of rice in 2 cups of water and .5c of thick coconut milk. I also cooked the beans in coconut milk, but I won't do that again....lol I have the darndest luck with beans. Next time, I'll use canned and maybe simmer them in a little coconut milk to make it slightly saucy.
Anyways, then I added 1tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp lime juice, 1/4tsp lemon pepper seasoning, and 1/4 tsp chili powder, and 1/4 tsp garlic powder.
I think I ended up adding more lime juice, and some salt and pepper.

I've never liked rice and beans, but I'll definitely be making this often!

Tonight is Balsamic vinegar roasted tofu and veggies, Oven roasted kale, and sweet potato fries. yum! (I love the oven roasted kale btw- but I'm going to try it with a splash of ACV this time)

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Old 05-21-2008, 11:53 PM

Sounds great Becky! I creating new stuff they like...not that it happens all that often!

Thanks for the tips on Kale. I think I left it too long in the fridge...

We had spag with eggplant sauce tonight, and it was NOT a hit.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:32 AM

Tonight was a korma-style curry with lentils, mushrooms, zucchini, carrots, peas, cashews, and spinach. Served it over couscous, with pita, mango chutney, and raita (I finally figured out how to do a vegan raita that tasted similar to a dairy one . I love Indian food.

love.gif

Old 05-22-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
(I finally figured out how to do a vegan raita that tasted similar to a dairy one .
ooh, recipe please?

:

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
Old 05-22-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Seriously, it's soooo easy to make your own bean cutlets/veggie burgers. Don't be scared! Just make sure not to flip too early - they will fall apart. But then you can have "ground" cutlets or make a sloppy joe type thing...mmmm... most of my recipes have soy sauce (not the same, lol), but that's it. Usually it's just beans, bread crumbs (or wheat germ, or something like that to help hold together), spices, etc.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:23 AM

Tonight a friend of mine came over and showed me how she makes daal, which I've oddly never learned to make. I had what I thought was yellow lentils and what turned out to be yellow split peas, so we tried it with that. What we ended up with was a kind of thick stew of rice, yellow split peas, onion, garlic, turmeric, curry powder, garam masala and sea salt, with some oil in there.

To me, it was very bland and the split peas were a little crunchy, but to my great surprise, my kids LOVED it. It was, as you can imagine, bright dayglow sunshine yellow, and when they asked what was in it, we said "sunshine and daffodils and dandelions and other yellow things." Later, just before bed, both my kids suddenly went back for seconds, and my older DD said, "Mom, did you buy the daffodils for this at the store, or were they from our garden?"

I like other daals, but not this one. Anyone want to give me their favorite daal recipe?
Old 05-22-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
ooh, recipe please?

:
Of course, this is in no way "authentic," but it did the trick. The measurements are guesstimates - I just did it until it looked right).

1/2 container of Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream
1/4 c Vegenaise
1/4 c plain soymilk
2 T soy yogurt
1/2 t granulated garlic
dash or two of seasoned salt
1 cucumber, seed and diced small

I mixed everything but the cucumber and added water a couple tablespoons at a time until it reached the right consistency. All I had was sweetened vanilla soy yogurt, but the amount is small enough that it didn't seem to affect it. I'll probably more or less stick to this recipe for tzatziki as well, just adding dill and keeping it a bit thicker.

love.gif

User Tag List