What's for dinner? May. - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2008, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As usual, I'm being a sporadic poster.

Tonight, we had spinach/sundried tomato/cheese paninis from Let's Dish, served with the potato veggie medley from TJ's and a random little bit of tabouli that needed to be eaten. And a nectarine.

Recently, we've had:
-Pasta salad with gorgonzola walnut tortellini, pesto, and assorted veggies
-Tofurkey italian sausages with the fixings
-Chili (DH made)
-Asian style rice salad with Lemongrass Lime rice from TJ's, edamame and other veggies
-Lots of fresh, yummy asparagus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2008, 12:52 AM

I have tried two different dishes with tempeh, no luck. Is this just an acquired taste? I am not getting it.

Tonight we had a delish quorn stirfry with kale, carrots, broc, onions, and a whole lotta other goodies. Even dh loved it!

last night we had takeout Mexican, I just couldn't get it together to make something nourishing in the short time we had available. I had thought I'd be making the meals in advance (crock pot or pies or something?) but it's not been working. No one is loving them (I made one good one, but it wasn't AWESOME, just good.

I need more ideas...

the fancy schmancy stuff just isn't working...

I think I'm going to make a simple minestrone soup for tomorrow, and make some nice thick bread to go with it. Maybe even Challah bread.

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
Old 05-30-2008, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanna_Mama View Post
This was the quickest, yummiest cake evah!
I made this tonight. I added chocolate chips. So yummy.

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
Old 05-30-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeca View Post
I have tried two different dishes with tempeh, no luck. Is this just an acquired taste? I am not getting it.

last night we had takeout Mexican, I just couldn't get it together to make something nourishing in the short time we had available. I had thought I'd be making the meals in advance (crock pot or pies or something?) but it's not been working. No one is loving them (I made one good one, but it wasn't AWESOME, just good.

I need more ideas...

Tempeh may be an acquired taste. I had it a loooong time ago at a veg restaurant and thought it was nasty. I tried it again a couple of weeks ago and loved it (marinated, then baked smothered in bbq sauce). I read on the tempeh thread that simmering it in water for a bit before marinating can take the bitterness out, if that is the issue. OTOH, that might make tempeh a lot of work.

When I was cooking for a half omni family, I tried to make things that are traditionally omni dishes, but subbing a meat analogue or beans for the meat (a stroganoff with morningstar strips or beans). DF often commented that he didn't even miss the meat. It has taken a couple of years of slowly changing my cooking to include fewer and fewer animal products, but he recently decided to go vegan (which I never expected to happen in a million years).

I don't use a crock-pot except to keep things warm. For some reason, crock pot cooking just doesn't work for me. I don't like how things turn out. It is a giant PITA to clean. So I gave up on it. If I am going to be pressed for time with dinner, I'll prep everything ahead of time and even half cook some things. I wish I could do the slow-cooker, but I'd rather have food I want to eat than food that is easy (most of the time, anyway).

Oh, and last nights dinner: Miso-glazed tofu on the grill (DF did the grilling and it turned out beautifully - I should have taken a pic. He even got the perfect cross-hatch marks on the pieces, and they were a gorgeous golden-orange color), spicy-sour roasted beets, sauteed collard greens (we cut them in a chiffonade them and they looked really pretty), grilled garlic bread. I had also intended to roast corn on the grill and put a cilantro-lime butter on it, but we were pressed for time.

love.gif

Old 05-30-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucactus View Post
Oh my goodness you guys, dinner tonight was AWEEEEE-SOME!! e had coconut lime rice and beans in tortillas with fajita-stle onions & peppers. (As inspired by this thread. )

The black beans were mashed slightly, with fresh lime juice & coconut milk in them, plus garlic powder, pepper, nutritional yeast, cumin, & soy sauce. Simmered until they got thick and saucy. Onions & peppers sauteed till starting to soften & brown. Rice was cooked with 2/3 coconut milk to 1/3 water, and it came out really thick, clumpy and so sweet. I made my beans really spicy with cayenne pepper powder, and the sweet was really nice with the spicy. I squeezed what was left of the lime (not much) into the rice and then put the squeezed lime peel and all into the bowl to sit with the rice and give some more flavor, we ate every single bite of this dinner it was sooo good!!!!
Ok, I'm going to make that for dinner for my IL's tonight! It was good just plain like I had it, but that sounds absolutely fantastic!

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Old 05-30-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:

I think tempeh is an acquired taste. I really love this recipe:

http://www.veganchef.com/maritempeh.htm

The marindade helps offset the flavor a bit. And it's quick and easy.

I've got the most huge-honkin' batch of seitanic red & white bean jambalaya in the oven...what a quick, cheap, enormous (and I'm assuming tasty) recipe! We're having it in anticipication of our trip to New Orleans next week where we doubt we'll have a chance to eat any :

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:32 PM

We went out tonight to the global market with some friends. I had the veg combo plate at Holy Land- spinach pie, dolmades, falafel, pita, hummus, salad- YUM! DH had a mock duck Asian noodle salad. Our friends had meaty meals, but shared their fried plantains and some dates for dessert. I am sooooo full!
Old 05-31-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksprklybarefoot View Post
That looks delicious, mikaela! I might have to try chili dogs. I've never had one. Ever.
Tonight was BLT burgers
You're totally missing out -- make some soon! Those were comprised of Smart Dogs, homemade chili and hot sauce (we've added veggie cheese, sour cream and onions as well). So yummy!

Mmmm, BLT... I'm totally putting those on the meal plan for next week :
Old 05-31-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
I need more ideas...
I hear ya -- we don't do fancy schmancy either! Although this tempeh loaf made us feel very fancy, it actually was ridiculously quick to prepare with very simple ingredients, and got rave reviews from both the partner and the kiddo: http://mikaeladanielle.com/2008/05/t...ly-feel-fancy/ (Interesting that I actually used the word "fancy" for this meal, eh? )

I'm not sure why it's been a rough start, but please, don't give up on tempeh. The above recipe should change your mind, and there's also a fabulous tempeh thread at http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=898787.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:05 AM

Dinner tonight was mediterranean vegan meatball pitas w/ this greek yogurt/parsley/mint/red onion/cuke sauce and big herb and greens salads.

I'm really loving Annie's Woodstock dressing lately!

* Holly * rural Seattle suburban SAHM to Elizabeth 11 * Cole 9 * Annie 5 * Blaise 3 * and Urban 2 mos *
Old 06-02-2008, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneMom View Post
We went out tonight to the global market with some friends. I had the veg combo plate at Holy Land- spinach pie, dolmades, falafel, pita, hummus, salad- YUM! DH had a mock duck Asian noodle salad.
I don't know how that place has been around so long and I have yet to visit! I love Minneapolis, but DF hates it. He is a St. Paul man, all the way. Eventually he always comes around to my way of thinking... we'll live there in about 10 yrs. Your meal sounds delish, BTW. So does your dh's. I heart mock duck.

There has been a woeful lack of cooking around here this weekend. Friday night we got a pizza from Papa Murphy's with mushrooms, olives, spinach, artichoke hearts, extra sauce and no cheese. I made a big salad. It was a great meal.

Last night, we went to a wedding in southern MN. The dinner was held in the (Lutheran, of course) church basement. We ate the salad (picked around the cheese) and pickles and olives. The entree was a beef-filled lasagna with canned corn and that frozen garlic bread. When they were serving the entree, I left to go get DS a banana and his sippy cup from the car. When I returned, DF told me that he didn't even have the servers give us plates because there was no point. So I got tipsy off of the two weak vodka cranberries I had at the wedding dance at the VFW and then we went through the drive through at Taco Bell before starting the two-hour drive home (the Taco Bell guy was thoroughly confused by our request for no cheese/sour cream).

Today I made a lovely Asian scrambled tofu. Then we brought Chipotle over to DF's mom's house. It was DF's first time having Chipotle minus carnitas, and he conceded that he didn't even really miss it. I did bring along some Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream to throw in the burritoes, though. :

love.gif

Old 06-02-2008, 02:19 AM

We had chili orange noodle salad. It will be the last made from scratch meal we have before heading out of town on Wednesday...tomorrow night and Tuesday will be falafel from a box

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:07 PM

Last night I made a variation of the Vcon Potato Kale Enchiladas. We had neither potatoes nor kale, so I used a can of cannelini beans (kind of mashed up) and some leftover sauteed collard greens. I also added some Teese faux cheese (which really melts!) both inside and on top. It was tasty! And it didn't take as long as the potato kale recipe since i didn't have to cook the taters. I would definitely make it again.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10

User Tag List