What's for dinner? May. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 223 Old 05-01-2008, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a new poster to mothering.com...long time lurker. I love the What's for dinner threads, so I decided to start May's.

05/01-We are having Asparagus and Pinapple pizza. The pizza crust is a vegan cornmeal crust...really yummy.

05/02-Vegan Sushi. YUMMY! And a Pinapple 'Cheese'cake.

Looking forward to see what eveyone else is eating for dinner!

Jen
:
#2 of 223 Old 05-01-2008, 04:45 PM

Thanks for starting the new thread!

I've got Creamy Tomato Soup in the slow-cooker, which will go over Israeli couscous (recipe from Fresh from the Veg. Slow-Cooker). I am also going to make some baked Zucchini "fries" and Arugula salad to go with it.

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#3 of 223 Old 05-01-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post

I've got Creamy Tomato Soup in the slow-cooker, which will go over Israeli couscous (recipe from Fresh from the Veg. Slow-Cooker). I am also going to make some baked Zucchini "fries" and Arugula salad to go with it.
I'd love to know how you do your zucchini 'fries'. I'm hopeing I can get DS to eat zuch this way, plus I love fried zuch & assume it tastes similarly but much healthier.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#4 of 223 Old 05-01-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
I'd love to know how you do your zucchini 'fries'. I'm hopeing I can get DS to eat zuch this way, plus I love fried zuch & assume it tastes similarly but much healthier.
This is the recipe I am going to try. I am going to use plain soy yogurt instead of regular yogurt and wheat germ instead of the cornflakes (I have heard bread crumbs also work well.)

They are supposed to be crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside and similar to the Indian dish Bhaji (you could also doctor this with whatever spices you want.) I'll let you know how they turn out!

Ingredients

* Oil
* 1/2 cup cornflake crumbs
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 medium zucchini, cut into 3 x 1/2-inch sticks
* 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt

Directions

1. Heat oven to 425°F. Lightly oil baking sheet. Mix cornflake crumbs and salt.

2. Coat zucchini sticks with yogurt. Press into crumb mixture a few at a time. Arrange on baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes, until golden brown and tender.

(leave in for longer than 15 minutes if necessary)

#5 of 223 Old 05-01-2008, 09:13 PM

tonight we had pizza (cause mama was too busy baking this weekends bread!)

tomorrow we're having breakfast for dinner... with fake susage, fronch toast and herb roasted potatoes from VwaV... i was going to do tofu scramble "eggs" - but i cant find any nutritional yeast locally - so i may make regular eggs (which dh does eat anyways)

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#6 of 223 Old 05-01-2008, 11:52 PM

Those zuchinni fries sound great! I'm expecting a bumper crop of zuchinni and yellow squash this year...I will definitely have to try those.

I've been cooking such boring food that I haven't posted in forever, but we had a good dinner tonight:

Lemon-Herb Tofu from Vive Le Vegan
sauteed baby squash and baby collard greens (I :heart my Zone 9 garden)
pasta salad

I made up the pasta salad on the spur of the moment, using stuff I had on hand, but it was very good: bowtie pasta, half a red pepper, some green onion, and big handfuls of fresh herbs (grown by me): regular basil, ruffly purple basil, cuban oregano, and pineapple mint. I drizzled it with a little olive oil and lemon juice, salt and pepper.

I'm going to tackle the Potato Kale Enchiladas from V'con this weekend.

Holly

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#7 of 223 Old 05-02-2008, 02:50 AM

I recently took a food allergy test on the recommendation of my dr... I came back with very high reactions to eggs and moderate reactions to dairy and gluten. I started a trial of a new diet this week. I'm essentially doing a low soy (thyroid), GF, dairy-free veg diet instead of my usual low soy vegetarian.

Today we had black beans, sauteed greens and garlic, and guacamole on corn tortillas for dinner.

Tomorrow I intend to make a polenta pie based on the recipe in moosewood- polenta crust topped with kalamata olives, roasted broccoli, capers, tomato sauce, and goat cheese from the farmer's market.

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
#8 of 223 Old 05-02-2008, 03:05 AM

Tonight was a variation on Isa's asian variation of the french dip sandwich. I simmered half vegetable stock and half water with some yellow miso, garlic cloves, ginger pieces, and a touch of asian hot sauce.

Then I cooked some veggie "steak" strips and chinese 5 spice powder in a bit of the broth from above.

I put the steak strips, some green onions and tomatoes on a loaf of ciabatta that I had split. I broiled it and topped the sandwich with veganaise mixed with minced cilantro and lime juice.

We dipped the sandwiches in the broth and had an asian slaw with cashews on the side.

love.gif

#9 of 223 Old 05-02-2008, 03:23 AM

Subbing..

I posted the last week's in April's thread. We are still in So. Cali, and we ate at Real Food Daily tonight, which was awesome!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#10 of 223 Old 05-02-2008, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Subbing..

I posted the last week's in April's thread. We are still in So. Cali, and we ate at Real Food Daily tonight, which was awesome!
Wow! Their menu looks delicious!

love.gif

#11 of 223 Old 05-02-2008, 10:45 AM

last night dinner was hot glazed tofu (our tempeh went bad), sauteed collards and spinach using the leftover marinade from the tofu, and dirty rice. all of these recipes are from veganomicon. oh, we had salad too.

tonight is homemade pizza with raw cheese topped with broccoli, mushrooms, onion, and jalapenos. salad to go with it.

#12 of 223 Old 05-02-2008, 12:08 PM

last night we had a sandwich my DH created. kind of like a cross between a patti melt and philly cheese steak.

Toast
sauteed seitan, onions and mushrooms
swiss soy cheese
fresh avacoado
mustard and veganaise

with tots
and homemade cherry lime-aids

It hit a craving spot for me.

tonight I think we get a cheeseless papa murphy's veggie pizza with tomatoe sauce and get some veggie mozerella shreds for it. This pizza has zuchini, mushrooms, onions, artichocke hearts, fresh tomatoes, and spinach on it. yum.
#13 of 223 Old 05-02-2008, 12:12 PM

5/1 -- Blueberry-buckwheat pancakes w/ maple syrup; carrot hashbrowns
5/2 -- Stuffed bell peppers (TVP, brown rice, oats, onion, garlic, spaghetti sauce, mushrooms, etc.) w/ baked potato wedges and garlic green beans
#14 of 223 Old 05-02-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
This is the recipe I am going to try. I am going to use plain soy yogurt instead of regular yogurt and wheat germ instead of the cornflakes (I have heard bread crumbs also work well.)

They are supposed to be crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside and similar to the Indian dish Bhaji (you could also doctor this with whatever spices you want.) I'll let you know how they turn out!

Ingredients

* Oil
* 1/2 cup cornflake crumbs
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 medium zucchini, cut into 3 x 1/2-inch sticks
* 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt

Directions

1. Heat oven to 425°F. Lightly oil baking sheet. Mix cornflake crumbs and salt.

2. Coat zucchini sticks with yogurt. Press into crumb mixture a few at a time. Arrange on baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes, until golden brown and tender.

(leave in for longer than 15 minutes if necessary)
That sounds divine! I can't wait to see what they have at the farmers market today. Every week I go I keep hopeing for the 1st round of plums, zuch, tomatoes etc... I am so tored of asparagus, cauliflower & broc

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#15 of 223 Old 05-02-2008, 01:48 PM

The zucchini sticks were really good. In fact, my house still smells amazing from them!

I had two zucchini which was enough to make two cookie sheet batches worth. I did one batch with curry powder added (for me & DH) and another one with just no-salt seasoning blend for DS. Of course, DS did not like them, he claimed they were too spicy (huh?)

I actually liked the mild seasoned ones better than the curry ones. I will definitely try making them again and tinker with different coatings and seasonings.

I dipped them in a vegan dill dip (my friend gave me a dill mix which I made with Tofutti sour cream and veganaise). It was so good!

Not sure what is for dinner tonight, I think hubby might be bringing home Indian food!

#16 of 223 Old 05-02-2008, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm totally subbing to this thread. I have a really hard time figuring out what to make for dinner each day.

ETA: Would it be allright to ask for recipes? Like zuccini sticks sound really good.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#17 of 223 Old 05-02-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian View Post
ETA: Would it be allright to ask for recipes? Like zuccini sticks sound really good.
I posted the recipe upthread -- see post #4.

#18 of 223 Old 05-02-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Subbing..

Mmmmm. I'm hungry for the TV dinner right now. I've only been to the West Hollywood location. It was delicious and we even saw some celebrities. My daughter lives by UCLA and eats at RFD and Native Foods regularly. Both restaurants have published cookbooks too.

Tonight, well, it is HOT. My husband is gone on a camping trip. And I am one of the test site coordinators at the elementary school I work at and this week has been a BEAR (state mandated testing for the last week and the next two weeks). So..... I promised Ds Taco Bell and a movie.
#19 of 223 Old 05-02-2008, 11:14 PM

We are in Las Vegas tonight.. which is a very un-veg friendly place (besides Ronald's Donuts). I looked up veg-friendly here and found an Ethiopian place we'd like to try out.. so that's what we are doing.

#20 of 223 Old 05-02-2008, 11:33 PM

Oh Ronald...how I love thy donuts! Let me count the ways...boston creme, apple fritter, bear claws...

Tonight was tempeh with lemon dill sauce, mashed spuds and roasted asparagus. Absolutely one of my favorite. meals. ever.

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

#21 of 223 Old 05-02-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:

Ooooooh, I can't wait to try the zucchini fries this week!:
#22 of 223 Old 05-03-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanna_Mama View Post
Tonight was tempeh with lemon dill sauce, mashed spuds and roasted asparagus. Absolutely one of my favorite. meals. ever.
How do you (any of you) prepare tempeh? I got some on sale at WF and decided to try it out. I steamed it for a little bit in slices, then put it in a little oil and browned in skillet, adding water on occasion to allow it to steam further, then seasoned with soy sauce and other things. And it just never seemed to really cook through well. The next day, though, I mashed what was left into the leftover quinoa I had, diced a tomato and put an TB of this AWESOME kalamata olive dip I got from Costco in there. That was good, but I have another package of tempeh and I would like to try out something tried and true that one of you have had good success with. Thanks!
#23 of 223 Old 05-03-2008, 07:15 AM

It's hot in Houston, people! I can tell I will be forced to turn on the AC soon!

Anyway, we had Black Bean/Corn salad last night, with whole wheat tortillas and Ziegenbock (thank you, DH!)

I knew I wasn't going to feel like cooking Friday night, so I put the salad together Thursday night while cleaning up the kitchen. It was cool but spicy and refreshing.

Holly

Edited to add:

Ok, upon retrospect it's not that hot right now. I just have no way to get that cool early morning air into my house. We need an attic fan...

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#24 of 223 Old 05-03-2008, 11:51 AM

Yesterday afternoon I delivered my baby at home! My husband went out and got us Thai food. I think I had the Cashew Tofu with rice. It was so delicious considering how hungry I was!!! I'm sure we'll have leftovers tonight.
#25 of 223 Old 05-03-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhugrrl View Post
How do you (any of you) prepare tempeh?
I always fry it in a little oil.

#26 of 223 Old 05-03-2008, 01:49 PM

Congratulations, Sarah.

Today I am really trying to focus on eating better. I didn't eat well at all last week. So I had a green smoothie for breakfast. Lunch is going to be a big salad with chickpeas and loads of veggies. Dinner will be mango-cilantro spring rolls and some lime cilantro rice.
#27 of 223 Old 05-04-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoginisarah View Post
Yesterday afternoon I delivered my baby at home! My husband went out and got us Thai food. I think I had the Cashew Tofu with rice. It was so delicious considering how hungry I was!!! I'm sure we'll have leftovers tonight.
congratulations, Sarah! Wishing you a blessed babymoon!

Tonight was more of the same - tempeh with lemon dill sauce (fresh dill and Egyptian onions at the Farmer's Market this morning!), rice and roasted asparagus.

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

#28 of 223 Old 05-04-2008, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I posted the recipe upthread -- see post #4.
I'm such a dummy!I see it now!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#29 of 223 Old 05-04-2008, 04:24 PM

Oh, how I love seasonal cooking! Tonight it's French Sorrel Soup with Crusty Bread :-)

#30 of 223 Old 05-04-2008, 09:29 PM

5/2 Apricot-glazed tofu, "sour cream" and caramelized onion mashed potatoes and roasted green beans - I could eat this meal every day.

5/3 Veggie burgers with lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts and avocado, sweet potato fries with chipotle dip (better than sour cream + veganaise + chipotle powder and garlic powder) and steamed broccoli.

5/4 Falafel sandwiches and roasted zucchini kabobs with oregano and marjoram. Was a big hit, even with Ms. Picky Picky.

love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page