Feeding the freezer - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 05-08-2008, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we're expecting another child in july. i'm thinking next month i'm going to stock the freezer as full as i can with lots of great meals for when the new babe comes. when i make marinara i always double the batch and freeze it, or freeze extra when i make soup, but other than that, i really don't have experience making "freezer meals." so besides soups/stews/chilis what freezes well? i'd like to have a nice variety of meals so we're not tempted by takeout so often. TIA! :

p.s. we're lacto-ovo-veg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-08-2008, 03:59 PM

I packed our freezer last time and I was so glad I did.
I just started again this week. I made a polenta lasagna and froze 2 pieces.
But here are some things I froze last time and/or plan to freeze this time:
- chili
- lasagna
- soups of all kinds
- pasta sauces & pestos
- lots of greens & other veggies from our CSA
- chick pea, spinach, & potato curries
- onigiri
- burritos/enchiladas
- stuffed pasta shells (w/tofu spinach "ricotta")
- eggplant "parmesan"
- breads & muffins
- veggie burgers

And then some store-bought frozen items like:
- Amy's frozen dinners
- tofu ravioli
- Nate's meatless meatballs
- pizzas and pizza dough
- frozen fruit/berries for smoothies

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#3 of 7 Old 05-09-2008, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

those all sound like great ideas! any chance you'd like to share some good curry recipes? i love indian food, but i've got little experience making it.

#4 of 7 Old 05-09-2008, 12:18 PM

I just throw it together, but someone just turned me on to this website of Indian vegetarian recipes and I'm interested to try some new things.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#5 of 7 Old 05-09-2008, 12:34 PM

How do you package things to freeze & how long do you keep frozen? When I try to fill my freezer I end up with alot of freezer burn & wasted food. My freezer is an upright deep freeze at 0 degrees F, but it is quite old. Could that be a problem?

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#6 of 7 Old 05-09-2008, 12:50 PM

I wish we had a deep freezer, but we just use a regular fridge freezer. I let food cool to room temp, then put in a GladWare type container, sometimes with waxed paper, but with a little room at the top for expanding. I use within 1-2 months for most things.
For frozen veggies though, I'll freeze on a baking sheet, then put in to a Ziploc bag and squeeze out as much air as I can. I've had veggies last a year that way. But the more water content there is, the more freezer burn, ie. zucchini doesn't last too long, and things like boiled potatoes don't do well either (but are better off if they're in a sauce).

#7 of 7 Old 05-13-2008, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
How do you package things to freeze & how long do you keep frozen? When I try to fill my freezer I end up with alot of freezer burn & wasted food. My freezer is an upright deep freeze at 0 degrees F, but it is quite old. Could that be a problem?
Freezer burn happens when the food comes in contact with air in the freezer & the changes in temp (that came happen just by opening the door) cause a little to defrost, then freeze & the interaction with the air causes the freezer burn. It is important to put the food into the freezer cold - you can let it go cold in the fridge first, THEN wrap and freeze

So the idea is to seal the food really well with as little air in the container or bag as possible and have as little condensation in the container to begin with (that's why you cool it, then wrap it). For a cake, for instance, I make sure it's totally cold, wrap it in aluminium foil a few times (as it gives the best thrawing results & doesn't go soggy) then place in a freezer bag (I recycle them so sometimes I do 2 bags incase there's a small hole.).

So I'd probably look at whether you are sealing the items properly and how much air you are leaving the the container or bag.

Hope that helps.

Peace loving VEGAN Crunchymumma to praying for another real soon!
Wake up! There's a slice of VEAL in every glass of milk!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page