Vegan Baby's 1st B-day Party -- any ideas? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 17 Old 05-18-2008, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm planning my baby's first birthday party and am trying to figure out what to serve our guests. Baby, me, and hubby are vegan, but none of our guests will be. Some of our guests are very anti-veg food (purely out of ignorance/lack of exposure/fear of trying something new, not because they're beef lobbyists or anything) so I'm in a bind.

I think I'm OK with dessert. I'll either make cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World or will have a local vegan baker do her thing. But I lack a focus/great idea for the main course/apps.

More specs: We'll probably have 15-20 adult guests. Weather permitting, we'll have the option of eating outside.

Any ideas for a fun, animal-free b-day party? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 05-18-2008, 04:17 PM

Does it have to be a full meal? It seems that veg snackies are a lot easier to make look "normal" to resistant omnis than full meals would be. Corn chips and pita with an array of guacamole, salsa, hummus, etc., sliced fruit and veggies each with a dip (I usually do a fruit dip with yogurt, honey and cinnamon; perhaps you can do soy yogurt, agave and cinnamon; or else peanut butter). Tomato pie - basically cheeseless pizza, served cold. Or bruchetta with olive oil, eggplant, tomato, basil, etc. Marinated mushrooms with frilly toothpicks. Stuff like that.
#3 of 17 Old 05-18-2008, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is the party at a meal time or will light snacks be ok?

For my ds' 1st b-day last year we did fruit salad, veggie tray and dip (not vegan, but def could be), mil made devilled eggs (I don't eat them, but people who did eat them said they were good). We also had cheese and crackers for the omni's. That plus the cake and ice cream were plenty for a mid-afternoon party.

You could also do a nacho bar or a pasta bar with different sauces and toppings or a lasagna if you used fake meat I bet a lot of people wouldn't notice.

#4 of 17 Old 05-18-2008, 05:57 PM

For our oldest's 1st birthday party we had about 30 people.
We ordered a veggie sushi platter from Whole Foods and grilled portobello mushrooms and had a build-your-own mushroom burger bar with tomatoes, onions, etc. We also did some simple pbj sandwiches for my SIL's boys and some cookies.
And we got a vegan carrot cake.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#5 of 17 Old 05-18-2008, 11:08 PM

we just had our's first b-day party. I made VCTOTW (3 dozen), and we had hummus, pita, chips, salsa, and that's it

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#6 of 17 Old 05-19-2008, 02:48 AM

In a recent VegNews (Feb 08), there's a recipe for vegan mac & cheese. In the following issue a reader raved about the recipe and said that her meat-eating friends really liked it. I can give you the recipe if you decide to try it. PM me.
#7 of 17 Old 05-19-2008, 11:54 AM

If you wanted to do a full meal, I'd go with a build-your-own taco buffet. Rice, beans, olives, a couple of salsas, guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes, corn, jicama, lime wedges, and then corn tortillas, flour tortillas, and tortilla chips. People could then make tacos or burritos or Salad. You could serve Tofutti sour cream, and some fake meat taco crumbles, my mom likes the Lightlife Smart Ground.

The VCTOTW cupcakes are awesome. I did plain chocolate with the raspberry buttercream for a birthday party of skeptical omnivores a few months back, and every single one of them admitted loving them.
#8 of 17 Old 05-19-2008, 02:16 PM

My daughter will be 2 this year. I am planning on having a vegan party. I was thinking of making some sort of cold pasta salad with Tamari, veggies and dip, homemade hummus with pita bread, a fruit salad, and some sort of cupcakes out of VCTOTW. I might make 3 different kinds, that way there's a variety.
#9 of 17 Old 05-20-2008, 10:42 AM

There is a crowd pleasing recipe for potato salad in Vegan Vittles. PM me if you don't have that book and I'll type up the recipe for you. The thing I love the most about that dish is it is best to make it the day before and it is easy to make a huge batch of it. I have some veggie resistant family and they all loved it. Pasta salads are also regular picnic fare and doesn't scream vegetarian/vegan. I did little humus wraps for one party and thought it would seem pretty mainstream but sure enough one person wouldn't even try them. : You could also do a "chicken" salad using seitan and some kind of veganase sauce. I think there is a recipe for that in Vegan Vittles too, not sure, I can check though if you don't have the book. PM me though as I don't get on the board regularly enough to check back on threads but I get PM's in my email.

Good luck, and happy birthday to your little one!

Mama to 3 year old DS and awaiting #2 in June
#10 of 17 Old 05-23-2008, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

You've inspired me to focus more on light appetizers ... and delicious ones at that. Great ideas. Thanks to you all!
#11 of 17 Old 05-23-2008, 08:56 PM

for my son's first birthday, I made three different kinds of soup and chili with homemade bread and muffins. And I had huge platters of fruit and veggies with hummus and guacamole and chips and salsa. And I made a two-layer applesauce cake for dessert (whole wheat flour, maple syrup sweetened) with applesauce poured down all over it. Nobody in my extended family is vegetarian, but they all ate plenty and complimented me on the food.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#12 of 17 Old 05-27-2008, 10:23 AM

I just had my 1 y/o's b-day party. I did 3 flavours of cupcakes for dessert, too. For food, I got 3 pizzas from a local bakery (called Roma) that does cheeseless "real Italian" pizzas. One is just bread & sauce, another was oil & garlic, and the last, hot & spicy, was like the first but with hot peppers on it. I also did veggies and onion dip (using Sour Supreme and roasted onions), and hummus (store bought) and chips, samosas and sauce (from take-out Indian place), and lastly, Chickpea Cutlets from Veganomicon in small pieces like chicken nuggets with plum sauce. For drinks we had sodas, mineral water, coffee & tea.
#13 of 17 Old 05-27-2008, 10:27 AM

Everyone loves pasta salad.

Yesterday, for a picnic I made the vegan orange cake from The Joy of Cooking. Everyone loved it.

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
#14 of 17 Old 07-21-2008, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to thank you all for the great suggestions. We had a great party -- let me share what we ended up having for approx 25 adults and 5 kids:

TO EAT
*Trader Joe's guacamole, two cans of salsa (one mild/one medium), and a BJ's sized-bag of Tostitos "scoops" chips
*Hummus and BJ's sized-bag of Stacy's pita chips
*24 cupcakes from _Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World_ -- all golden cupcakes, 12 w/vanilla frosting, 12 w/chocolate frosting
*a batch of Cherrybrook Kitchen wheat-free sugar cookies w/sprinkles
*medium fruit platter from Whole Foods (expensive!)
*a fruit salad
(In the end, we ate only half of those two fruit offerings.)

TO DRINK
*1 large Earth's Pride organic lemonade
*1 large apple juice
*I had people who asked "what can I bring?" to bring soda. We ended up getting lots of colas and other bevs
*1 dozen small water bottles

I'm still well-fed from the event!
#15 of 17 Old 07-21-2008, 11:18 PM

Sounds like a great party! I'm glad it went well!

love.gif

#16 of 17 Old 07-22-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeppers View Post
for my son's first birthday, I made three different kinds of soup and chili with homemade bread and muffins. And I had huge platters of fruit and veggies with hummus and guacamole and chips and salsa. And I made a two-layer applesauce cake for dessert (whole wheat flour, maple syrup sweetened) with applesauce poured down all over it. Nobody in my extended family is vegetarian, but they all ate plenty and complimented me on the food.
Could you P.M. me the cake recipe...its my lil ones second bday and he LOVES applesauce!...and my dh HATES sugar and white flour

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#17 of 17 Old 07-22-2008, 12:30 PM

I always prefer doing snacky type foods for this sort of party as well, along with lots of good cupcakes and cookies! In addition to what the PPs mentioned (chips, hummus, babganoush, salads etc.) I like doing some veggie dogs in a blanket--you know that crescent dough is vegan. Pillsbury, I believe. Check the labels. Just cut the veggie dogs in half, lay out the dough and smear some mustard on the inside, then wrap and bake. Everyone always loves those, even people who usually pooh-pooh veggie dogs. And you can always cut them lengthwise for the young kids if you're worried about choking.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page