Looking for a OB/GYN who will support a vegan pregnancy (Albany, NY) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2008, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello: I am hoping to get pregnant in the near future. I have been a vegetarian for about 25 years and vegan for about 10 years. I am looking for an OB/GYN who is comfortable with this. I live in the Capital Region in NYS. Does anyone have any recommendations? I would very much appreciate any advice. Thank you, Andrea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2008, 12:42 PM

Have you considered widening your search to include midwives?

I think they are much more supportive in general.

and
Old 05-25-2008, 09:58 AM

I don't think it will even be a problem. I've had 4 kids and never had to give an indepth of what I eat. If you don't think an OB will understand veganism then just don't tell them you're vegan. The most they'll say about diet anyway is to "up your protein" "cut back on salt" etc - nothing too specific.

Peace loving VEGAN Crunchymumma to praying for another real soon!
Wake up! There's a slice of VEAL in every glass of milk!
Old 05-25-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susumama View Post
I don't think it will even be a problem. I've had 4 kids and never had to give an indepth of what I eat. If you don't think an OB will understand veganism then just don't tell them you're vegan. The most they'll say about diet anyway is to "up your protein" "cut back on salt" etc - nothing too specific.
Before I switched to a homebirth, the medwives I had were really concerned with my vegan diet. They gave me blood tests for everything under the sun, convinced that I must be deficient in something--they were particularly worked up over my iron and protein intake. They constantly interrogated me about my prenatal vitamin and I was harassed about veganism at every appointment.

So, I'm sure it's possible to get doctors who won't care too much, but I've also seen things go the other way. It's a lot of the reason I ended up having a homebirth. My HB midwife was very supportive.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
Old 05-25-2008, 11:01 AM

Honestly, if you're going with an OB I wouldn't even mention your diet. They often don't know much about nutrition anyways.
My midwife (who is not vegetarian herself) said right away that her veg clients always had the healthiest pregnancies and easiest births. So far I haven't proven her wrong. If you can find a midwife, I'd recommend it.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 05-25-2008, 11:42 AM

My midwife seemed skeptical at best of my vegetarian diet to the extent I never bothered bringing up veganism and just said I was lactose intolerant (even that she didn't like). But, after rattling off a laundry list of alternative sources of protein and iron (definitely her biggest concerns), a couple good appointments, and some positive blood work she mellowed significantly.

A lot of doctors and midwives don't study nutrition in great detail, so I think you're best bet is to go into it knowledgeable about your needs and veg sources of them. I really thought that because I live in a pretty liberal, moderately veg friendly area my midwife would be more open, but I was wrong. I just really hope my thus far (7 months along) easy and healthy pregnancy has made an impact on my midwife such that future vegetarian patients receive less flack from her.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:39 PM

when i went to an ob/gyn they didnt even ask me about my diet, so I didn't mention it. When I switched to my midwife she seamed concerned, but I told her that I was very knowledgeable about nutrition, and I am certain I am getting everything I need. She never bothered me about it again.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 05-28-2008, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice and information. I have gotten a few books on vegan/veg preganancy and have been reading up on nutrition in case there are concerns. I'm glad to hear so many of you didnt have any major problems with your MD's/midwifes. Andrea

User Tag List