Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New thread, which even I won't lose, since I started it! :
#2 of 179 Old 07-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Last night was vegan Chili -- black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, sauteed onion/green pepper, crushed tomatoes all thrown into a crock pot with salt, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, nutritional yeast flakes, a bit of olive oil, a heaping spoonful of natural peanut butter (sounds weird but try it, I promise it is awesome)and a *touch* of hot sauce...cook on low for a few hours in the crock pot, serve over brown rice

Tonight will be homemade seitan with stir fry vegetables.
#3 of 179 Old 07-01-2008, 05:13 PM

Zonked today, so it's Field Grain Meat Co. smoked apple sage "sausages" with roasted broccoli, and WF maple baked beans and quinoa black bean salad.

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

#4 of 179 Old 07-01-2008, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post
Tonight will be homemade seitan with stir fry vegetables.
Do you have a recipe for the seitan that you love? If so, are you willing to share it?
#5 of 179 Old 07-01-2008, 05:22 PM

Yum...can you post the recipe for quinoa black bean salad?

Thanks!
:

Susan hippie.gif Mama to DD (15) guitar.gif : DD (18) geek.gif & cat.gif
goorganic.jpg Rainbow.gifjoy.giftreehugger.gif winner.jpg coolshine.gifribbongrey.gif
#6 of 179 Old 07-01-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzmama View Post

Thanks!
:
Wish I could, but was pre-made at Whole Foods. Here's the ingredients list, though:

quinoa
black beans
red onion
red pepper
parsley
corn
red wine vinegar
garlic
basil
roasted tomatoes
salt
pepper
olive oil

Seeing that list, I'm embarrassed that I bought it...how easy it would be to make it myself!

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

#7 of 179 Old 07-01-2008, 06:21 PM

We are so going out tonight! It's been pantry surprise for a while now and I'm down to the knitty gritty! Then off to shop for groceries! Hooray! (I'm even out of tamari and vital wheat gluten! Yipe!)

Kimber vegan natural birthing RN mama to Harper 3 1/2 and proud Navy wife to Rory
#8 of 179 Old 07-01-2008, 06:53 PM

Subbing

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#9 of 179 Old 07-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Do you have a recipe for the seitan that you love? If so, are you willing to share it?
I will do my best but I got it from someone's blog that of course I can't remember who/where it was so long ago and I have modified it for my tastes.

Take a box of vital wheat gluten (the big box) and to the dry mix add -- salt, pepper, onion (either powdered or finely diced), garlic (same as onion), a tiny bit of curry powder --- like not even a pinch -- a bit of thyme, and about 1/4-1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes --- I'm sorry I can't give you exact measurements but I just add the spices to taste .... Then add to that two cups of water -- or veggie broth, but if you do veggie broth you want to lay off the spices a bit of course... Also, I find it tastes better if I add a bit of melted butter or oil to the wet mixure too before mixing (hmm probably a tablespoon or so)

Mix with a fork or spoon until it all sticks together like a really spongy "dough" --

Then, knead it about twenty times in the bowl until it is all spongy and chewy looking -- then let it rest for about 5 minutes...

Then, I prefer hard packed seitan (as opposed to spongy texture) so I wrap it like a thick, long sausage in tin foil and twist the ends -- bake at 325 for about 90 minutes --

Seitan cooks best at a lower temp for longer rather than a higher temp -- if you cook it at a high temp it will turn into rock solid weird gluten "bread" ...

Then, after you let it cool you can slice it like lunch "meat" or you can cut bigger strips or chunks and saute it to taste in recipes -- the end result of the recipe I gave is sort like a "chicken" taste but you can flavor it in recipes to taste differently.

HTH
#10 of 179 Old 07-01-2008, 08:56 PM

I always loved seitan when i was veg before, so much nicer than a lot of soy meats. But OMG, the pain. the agony

What I didn't realise is that I am Celiac...

I am going to lurky loo around here, k? I am not veg, but trying to decrease the amount of animal products to only those that I feel are as humane as possible. (ie, local, humane farms, truly free range eggs, local cruelty free milk, etc) Which will mean a lot less, with budgeting etc. So I want some ideas.

I grew up nearly vegan (we raised our own eggs, ate organic butter) but as an adult I haven't been able to do it healthfully. Haven't tried since healing from Gluten, tho. Sorry, rambling....

Back OT! I am eating a stirfry that I added some really nice shitakes to and it is Oh So Good with chili sauce...

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#11 of 179 Old 07-01-2008, 09:48 PM

Subbing.

Tonight was spinach cheese stuffed rigatoni with roasted garlic pasta sauce (jarred) and broccoli.
#12 of 179 Old 07-01-2008, 10:40 PM

The guys just got back from laser tag so I threw some Buffalo 'chikn' wingz in the oven along with some TJ's wedge fries. We will also have an arugula salad with radishes and cucumbers.
#13 of 179 Old 07-01-2008, 11:13 PM

Tonight we grilled it up: field roast sausages on toasty buns (with Wildwood garlic aioli!), potatos-onions-garlic in a foil pouch with evoo and s&p, grilled asparagus and grilled baby bok choy. My toddler is crazy for bok choy (the green parts only) and asparagus. My husband had a full bite of choy the other day and was like, "Oh, that's what the green part tastes like!" because Silas usually eats them all.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#14 of 179 Old 07-02-2008, 02:11 AM

My first post for July is a doozy... Mac and chreese :

I was at class, and I really didn't feel like cooking before I went (We went to the beach and I made little box lunches for all of us with hoisin-peanut noodles, salad, and fruit before we went).

After returning home, I ate leftovers from last night (the Mediterranean quesadillas and zucchini) and some chips and salsa.

Tomorrow and the next day should be better, but I am still trying to figure out what to make which night. I have tempeh reubens and curry night left on the menu for this week, and both are total pig-out meals. But I am going out with my stepdaughter's mom for drinks on Thursday, so I don't want to be all roly-poly tired. I guess I'll just have to exercise some restraint. Where is the fun in that?

love.gif

#15 of 179 Old 07-02-2008, 02:49 AM

I made ratatouille for dinner tonight (totally had to google it to figure out how to spell it!) and then DH and I made a vegan carrot cake with lemon "cream cheese" frosting. Yum!

The ratatouille came out really good. I don't like it when it's all just a big mush and there is not bite at all to it. With this recipe all the veggies kept their shape and texture. I had it on brown rice and it was delicious.
#16 of 179 Old 07-02-2008, 07:17 AM

I think we're going to have Chickpeas a la King for dinner tonight, served on toast points with a nice big salad.

Kimberly: blogging wife to Todd and work-at-home-struggling-with-work/life-balance adoptive mama to Adam (2005) and Leah (2008)
#17 of 179 Old 07-02-2008, 10:10 AM

I kind of fell off the planet of cooking for June, but now that we're getting a farm box every week, I'll definitely be doing better and more interesting things in the kitchen. Last night was a wonderful and simple dinner:

-Beets sliced and quick-pickled in water/vinegar/sugar
-Sauteed spinach
-Noodles with fresh sliced grape tomatoes, fresh basil, olive oil, garlic salt, & vegan parmesan
-Zucchini cake

All the produce was either from the farm box, the farmers' market, or my own garden!!!
#18 of 179 Old 07-02-2008, 11:36 AM

Setting big goals here this morning...hoping to get seaweed salad, vietnamese spring rolls and veggie sushi made during naptime today.

#19 of 179 Old 07-02-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzmama View Post

Thanks!
:

Here's a great recipe for a black-bean quinoa salad.

Last night I made a vegan Indian feast, with blueberry crisp for dessert. Read all about it here. Tonight, I'm doing the chickpea cutlets. I'm slicing them into strips and using them to top a big salad. I'll also make some oven fries to throw on top. Then, I'll make a creamy maple-dijon dressing for it.
#20 of 179 Old 07-02-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post
Then, I prefer hard packed seitan (as opposed to spongy texture) so I wrap it like a thick, long sausage in tin foil and twist the ends -- bake at 325 for about 90 minutes --
Aha!! That is what I've done wrong. Mine has always been spongy & weird. Thanks! Tofurky is getting to expensive to buy all the time, so I will try this instead.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#21 of 179 Old 07-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
Aha!! That is what I've done wrong. Mine has always been spongy & weird. Thanks! Tofurky is getting to expensive to buy all the time, so I will try this instead.
For sure! I had that issue for years too When you wrap it tightly in foil it stays tofurkey-like in texture kwim? Glad to help

Tonight, mushroom and cheese omelets (we aren't vegan obviously) Organic though
#22 of 179 Old 07-02-2008, 09:54 PM

ack, what is wrong with me? Every month I forget to sub! I missed June entirely!

Right now I'm making VCON's lemongrass and asparagus risotto. so far it tastes good, but standing here stirring is wearing me out!

I made the pasta della california and is was a huge disaster, I wasted so much avocado and time
#23 of 179 Old 07-02-2008, 10:33 PM

Tonight was a whole grain pasta salad with chickpeas, sundried tomatoes, sauteed mushrooms and onions, and steamed broccoli tossed in balsamic vinegarette served with mixed greens. Yummm!
#24 of 179 Old 07-02-2008, 10:39 PM

:

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#25 of 179 Old 07-02-2008, 11:22 PM

Chipotle. With Better Than Sour Cream. I feel so lazy, but :.

love.gif

#26 of 179 Old 07-03-2008, 12:24 AM
cjr

We had portabella veggie burgers with a spinach/strawberry salad. I am not in a cooking mood, just a throw it together mood these days.
#27 of 179 Old 07-03-2008, 09:42 AM

We got our farm box last night, so it was a fun dinner!

We made scrambled eggs with spinach -- sorry, vegans! -- which is the kids' new favorite food. We chop the fresh spinach into almost a puree in the food processor, then mix it in with the eggs before we cook them.

Then we had kohlrabi hash browns, a recipe from the Farmer John cookbook. WOW were they good!

And we had a big giant salad with lettuce, radishes, carrots, sweet peas, garlic scapes, green onions, dried cherries, roasted sunflower seeds, and hearts of palm, with a balsamic vinegar dressing.

And more zucchini cake for dessert.

Awesome!!!
#28 of 179 Old 07-03-2008, 10:14 AM

I am actually not veg, currently. But I am trying to gently move towards relying less and less on the animal industry, it totally sickens me.

So I will only post here with the veg meals, k

Last night was Honey Baked Lentils and a big salad with pear, pumpkin seeds and parmesan, with homemade dressing. MMM

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#29 of 179 Old 07-03-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Babe View Post

Last night was Honey Baked Lentils and a big salad with pear, pumpkin seeds and parmesan, with homemade dressing. MMM
that sounds yummy... care to share about the Honey Baked Lentils and your homemade dressing?

Mother, Wife, Worker Bee. Mama to Clara (10/05) and Ophelia (12/09)
#30 of 179 Old 07-03-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddledebi View Post
Then we had kohlrabi hash browns, a recipe from the Farmer John cookbook. WOW were they good!
This sounds like a great way to use kohlrabi! I am expecting to get a fair amount of it in our CSA box this year, and I never know what to do with it. Did you use all kohlrabi, or was it a kohlrabi/potato mix?

love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page