RAW summer lovin' - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 08-09-2008, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Although I did sub as soon as I noticed this thread, I am only now getting down to reading the posts and adding my own words.

We don't follow a raw diet, but I love to try different raw foods.

I picked up some raspberries and blueberries at the market this morning, so I am excited about trying the coconut crust recipe. I have tried one recipe that called for almonds and dates, it was very delicious. But I like the idea of adding coconut.

Just wondering, does anyone have any tantalizing recipes for raw cacao? I tried some raw brownies at a restaurant that were amazing, but haven't been able to get my hands on a recipe for raw brownies. Any recipe with raw cacao would be interesting, as we have some in our pantry.
#32 of 39 Old 08-10-2008, 04:29 AM

I spotted this thread and thought I might ask my question here instead of posting a new thread.
Do any of you have any tips on how to eat Raw affordably? I would really like to go high raw, or at least raw most of the time. I do buy produce at sprouts which seems to be more economical and they last longer too, but it always seems like when the budget gets tight fresh produce goes out the window. I have two boys, one of which probably would eat raw at least some of the time, and one of which will never let anything green pass his lips, ever. So basically I have to provide at least two options at meal time, sometimes three.
So, any advice on how to obtain yummy healthy foods and raw accessories at discount prices?

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#33 of 39 Old 08-18-2008, 06:16 PM

: Bumping this thread...still a whole month of summer left to chat raw!

I'm personally transitioning to high raw after being mostly macrobiotic for years. Good to see some threads here at mothering.
#34 of 39 Old 08-18-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytchywoman View Post
I spotted this thread and thought I might ask my question here instead of posting a new thread.
Do any of you have any tips on how to eat Raw affordably? I would really like to go high raw, or at least raw most of the time. I do buy produce at sprouts which seems to be more economical and they last longer too, but it always seems like when the budget gets tight fresh produce goes out the window. I have two boys, one of which probably would eat raw at least some of the time, and one of which will never let anything green pass his lips, ever. So basically I have to provide at least two options at meal time, sometimes three.
So, any advice on how to obtain yummy healthy foods and raw accessories at discount prices?
I'm interested in hearing other's thoughts on this as well. My last grocery bill was obscene, with buying raw for myself, and non-raw for the rest of the family. I feel like I'm cooking three meals around here every night as well, but I'm slowly pulling everyone over to the vegetarian/raw side.
#35 of 39 Old 08-19-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happywillow View Post
I'm interested in hearing other's thoughts on this as well. My last grocery bill was obscene, with buying raw for myself, and non-raw for the rest of the family. I feel like I'm cooking three meals around here every night as well, but I'm slowly pulling everyone over to the vegetarian/raw side.
This is hard. I still sometimes cook a meal for DH, he works until 2am and comes home at 8pm for dinner. So right after I make our raw food dinner I make DH's meal. He is mostly raw throughout the day but for his dinner break I feel like he enjoys cooked food more.

I am 90% raw as well as my almost 4 yo. My 13 month old is mostly bf, but what she does eat is raw. Both my girls love green juices and smoothies. Lots of kids are turned off green drinks mostly because of the color. You can get a dark sippy like cup or any cup where the contents wont be shown and more than likely the kids will love it.

Having all those expensive accessories are not required, however they make it lots more fun. We got a Champion juicer from discountjuicers.com for $200. They are over $300 everywhere I've seen. They also have a 4 tray dehydrator for $109. And free shipping. Dehydrators are lots of fun and kids love to make things for it. Fruit leathers are a big hit for kids to make. And in the champion my dd loves to make icecream with it. You just put frozen bananas in it and it comes out like soft serve icecream then you can put mint and cacao nibs to make mint chocolate chip icecream, or vanilla bean in it for vanilla icecream.

Dajoma, we made cacao coconut macaroons last night and they taste sooo good. I have lots of cacao smoothie recipes. I have only made brownies with carob but here is a raw brownie recipe that looks good http://www.rawfoodsupport.com/read.php?4,15125,20229

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 uc.jpg

#36 of 39 Old 08-20-2008, 10:16 PM

Thank you for the link for the brownies with chocolate icing recipe. I am going to have to experiment with that recipe. I imagine I could grind up my raw cacao nibs and use them for the cocoa powder. This is going to be fun.

The raw pie crust with coconut was so delicious, we have already made it more than once. Most recently we used a blueberry topping, yum yum.

I am looking forward to more ideas to try out. Right now I am looking into a dehydrator. DD seems to really love dehydrated snacks, like sweet potato fritters and vegetable 'crackers'.

How do other people juice kale? Can you do it in a blender or juicer? Silly question, but I have never tried to make it before.
#37 of 39 Old 08-21-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajoma View Post
Thank you for the link for the brownies with chocolate icing recipe. I am going to have to experiment with that recipe. I imagine I could grind up my raw cacao nibs and use them for the cocoa powder. This is going to be fun.

The raw pie crust with coconut was so delicious, we have already made it more than once. Most recently we used a blueberry topping, yum yum.

I am looking forward to more ideas to try out. Right now I am looking into a dehydrator. DD seems to really love dehydrated snacks, like sweet potato fritters and vegetable 'crackers'.

How do other people juice kale? Can you do it in a blender or juicer? Silly question, but I have never tried to make it before.
We use the champion to juice kale, the texture isn't greatest when you put it in the blender

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 uc.jpg

#38 of 39 Old 08-21-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calynde View Post
I think it may be time to officially ditch the Spring thread...

I'm heading into my 38th week of pregnancy...nearly there now! Have been keeping it very simple food wise, so much fresh fruit! Watermelon! Have been juicing, but mainly craving cucumbery type juices for some reason. Tonight's dinner is sort of a taco-style salad. Tomorrow's lunch will be this:

Cream of Zucchini Soup

http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/...ead.php?t=1026

Hope you all are enjoying the warmth and abundance this time of year brings!
How did you find this soup? I just made it and I'm sitting her trying hard to eat it. It's really strong tasting and . . . well, just gross! It sounded so good. Maybe I should have left out the celery??

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#39 of 39 Old 08-22-2008, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
How did you find this soup? I just made it and I'm sitting her trying hard to eat it. It's really strong tasting and . . . well, just gross! It sounded so good. Maybe I should have left out the celery??
Yeah, I know what you mean. I found it so-so I guess, but I'm not very picky I think. If I'm totally honest, I rarely like any raw *recipes* that aren't sweet, with a few exceptions. I think I'm a minimalist...juices, salads, smoothies, pates, fruit *puddings*...sometimes I feel inspired to give something more complex a try, but it's usually disappointing.

About doing raw on the cheap...I think it's totally possible. For kids or partners who are not into the raw, I would do crock pot style food, make a big batch and have them eat that for a couple of meals...other easy stuff for them like sandwiches for lunch maybe. One really doesn't need the typical raw supplements, and certainly one can also live without hemp oil, cacao nibs, and coconut butter etc. I would stick with cheaper fats like flax, walnuts, sunflower seeds...make a batch of pate for spreading and snacking and adding to salads...it's so cheap! Some of the best produce is super cheap...cucumbers and grapefruits for example...also sprouts at home...I love sunflower sprouts for example. It can take a bit of planning and organization, but it's totally possible...even if the goal isn't to be 100%.

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page