Mongolian Grill, at home. Yummy! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2008, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made my own mongolian grill tonight! Everyone loved it and wants me to make it weekly!!!

Sauces/Seasonings I used/had available (obviously don't need to have this many):
-- Sicilian Sea Salt by McCormick, 3.66 ounces in the spice section (a small
round tin with clear lid)
-- Nori Komi Furikake Rice Seasoning (sesame seed, salt, sugar, and seaweed)
(in the Asian section)
-- Chili Garlic Sauce (a red sauce in a clear bottle with green lid, Asian
section)
-- Chili oil (Asian section)
-- Macadamia nut oils (oil section, I have garlic and pepper flavored ones)
-- Sesame Oil
-- Soy Sauce

Vegetables we used, sliced fairly thin:
-- Yellow squash
-- Zucchini
-- Mushrooms
-- Broccoli
(obviously you can use lots of others, carrots, eggplant, cabbage, bean sprouts, etc. this is just what I had available)

-- Fresh minced garlic (the house still smells really heavenly)

-- Tofu, drained well and cubed

-- Asian noodles (we did the thin yellow kind, yakisoba or something I believe)

Brown rice in the rice cooker - when it was done, I mixed in the Sicilian
Sea Salt, the Rice Seasoning, and soy sauce

DD (she is 5) got her own bowl and chose what vegetables she wanted (all of them), noodles, several scoops of the rice mixture, tofu, and whatever oils/seasonings she wanted. Then she handed it over to me and I cooked it in my wok-style all-clad pan (well heated). I put the lid on and stirred it up several times. Didn't take long at all. Then I cooked a different mix for DH and I (super spicy version).

This is so delicious, and DD really got a kick out of doing her own. She loves it! DH went CRAZY for it, literally!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2008, 06:01 AM

: Dh looooves Mongolian Grill

I think I have every thing you listed except the macadamia nut oils. I have to try this!

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
Old 08-06-2008, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That is brilliant! One of those big head smack moments - why did I not ever think of that? We are completely borrowing your work :

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
Old 08-06-2008, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Lol! How I came up with it - we recently went for Mongolian Grill (my husband's first time) and we all loved it. Then we went again and DH found a dead fly in his plate. So we said we weren't going again, but we were sad, because darnit, it's so good. Monday I was thinking about meal planning for the week and I realized I was craving it. And then it hit me - I can make this at home!!! And the clincher for me was stumbling upon that Sicilian sea salt - they offer that at the restaurant we go to and it just adds this certain something!

The best part? It was sooooo fast and easy, I couldn't even believe it. Cutting up the vegetables took the longest time and that was FAST! Finally dinner wasn't a struggle trying to entertain my 2 YO while waiting for daddy to come home.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:47 PM

I have never been to the Mongolian Grill...but this sounds yummy.

I am going to suggest it for dinner some night next week.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2008, 04:53 PM

I do these sorts of on demand meals all the time. I put out a counter worth of stuff and everyone picks what they want in their bowl then I stir fry it. It's so fast and all you have to do is pre slice some veggies :

I do "bar" type dinners at least once a week. Stir fry bar, pizza bar, salad bar, sandwich bar . The sandwiches we like pressed panini style and I pre bake pizza shells so the baking time isn't too long
Old 08-06-2008, 04:55 PM

We went there for my b-day with mine and dh's fams(all meat eaters and we're veg/vegan)...theres not many places we can go and everyone enjoys but it was AWSOME!!!!!

Def my fav omni restaurant! Everyone had a blast! Great idea, I'll have to do this when we have company that'd be tons of fun

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 08-06-2008, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
I do these sorts of on demand meals all the time. I put out a counter worth of stuff and everyone picks what they want in their bowl then I stir fry it. It's so fast and all you have to do is pre slice some veggies :

I do "bar" type dinners at least once a week. Stir fry bar, pizza bar, salad bar, sandwich bar . The sandwiches we like pressed panini style and I pre bake pizza shells so the baking time isn't too long
do you have a panini press? I've often looked at those and wondered if they're worth it to buy!
Old 08-07-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyw View Post
do you have a panini press? I've often looked at those and wondered if they're worth it to buy!
I Don't like non stick so no I don't, though I used to have one but it only really made 2 sandwiches at a time so I still didn't use it much even when I had it.

I have 2 Le Creuset cast iron griddle/grills, though there are lesser expensive options of course. I heat them both really hot, then put the sandwiches on, and top with the other one. I make the one I'm pressing with a bit hotter (like preheat on high for a few). I spray both sides of the bread with olive oil first, and the crust is delish. I don't think you can get a better sandwich!

I use the long grills that cover 2 burners and I can make all the sandwiches at once.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:12 PM

This is a great idea! I might do this tonight if I have time!

love.gif

User Tag List