It's September! What's for Dinner? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 117 Old 09-18-2008, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Vegan Dad's Best Mini Meatloaf (see my food blog for the link to the recipe, I'm just too lazy to look it up again!), smoky kale and chard and mashed taters. It was all super tasty!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 117 Old 09-18-2008, 08:59 AM

Keeta, it must have been a good night for greens and taters! We had vegan colcannon from the Farmer John cookbook -- chard & kale mixed with mashed potatoes, soymilk, and leeks, drizzled with melted margarine (Willow Run). It was pretty good -- kind of heavy, though. We had it with steamed broccoli on top.

I have two HUGE bunches of chard in the fridge. They're beautiful, but I think I'm going to have to pulverize and freeze them, since we'll never get through them before they wilt. Any ideas, folks?
#63 of 117 Old 09-18-2008, 02:13 PM

Lunch yesturday was AMAZING...roasted tomatoes frm the garden, with roasted onion, eggplant(also frm garden), garlic, with a ton of olive oil, sea salt, more garlic, used the olive oil over pasta and smashed the tomatoes all up, put pine nuts in as well and it was TASTY AS TASTY CAN BE!...
yest dinner not so great, i was working so i ate a toasted cheese lettuce tomatoe and mayo sandwich with fries covered in hot sauce(what can i say im preggers)

Tonight--not really sure...either shepardless pie, with salad OR baked burritoes...im leaning towards shepardless pie but i know my dh would say burritoes.

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#64 of 117 Old 09-18-2008, 02:21 PM

I also had roasted tomato pasta yesterday.. I roasted homegrown tomatoes (from my friend's garden)- roma, yellow boy and an un-known heirloom, with onion, garlic and olive oil. Tossed with penne. It was devine!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#65 of 117 Old 09-18-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I also had roasted tomato pasta yesterday.. I roasted homegrown tomatoes (from my friend's garden)- roma, yellow boy and an un-known heirloom, with onion, garlic and olive oil. Tossed with penne. It was devine!
Me too! Fresh tomatoes from my neighbors, jalapenos, black bean, garlic, olive oil and tossed with fresh pasta. Oh, and on the side, a slice of onion rye bread with vegan spread. Yum!
#66 of 117 Old 09-22-2008, 02:44 AM

Holy COW! Or maybe Holy POTATO! would be better lol!

This thread was half way down page two!

Ok - menu plan for the week:

M - baked apples, con queso veggie wraps
T - Double tempeh stir-fry w/yam, apples, and honey mustard.
W - Pasta w/zucchini sauce and white beans
Th -spinach and lentil soup, potato and apple bake.
Fri - too exhausted to think that far ahead...

and a big ole bumpity, too!

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#67 of 117 Old 09-22-2008, 06:55 AM

Mushrooms jumping up all over the place now so..

1 1/2 oz packet dried porcini (cep) mushrooms
8oz fresh dark-gilled mushrooms
Olive oil (or spread) to saute with (can use an inch of butter)
1 medium onion chopped up finely
6 oz risotto rice
5 fl oz dry Madeira wine / sherry / fortified grape wine
2 tablespoons veggie/vegan Parmesan grated freshly and some extra peeled into flakes
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Soak the dried mushrooms in 1 pint (20 fl oz) boiling water in a bowl, for about half an hour to rehydrate. Chop up the fresh mushrooms into thumbnail size chunks.

Preheat oven to 150 deg C (300 deg F)

Heat up the oil [or butter] and cook the onion gently for 5 mins, stir in the fresh mushrooms and take off the heat.

Strain the dried mushrooms and keep the liquor. Squeeze extra liquid out of mushrooms, chop up small and add to the pan with onion/mushroom mixture. Sweat this mixture over a low heat for up to half an hour.

Add the rice to the mixture and stir around well, then add the sherry and 3/4 pint of mushroom liquor. Add tamari / soy sauce and freshly ground black pepper, and slowly heat to simmering point. Move into an 8-10" oven dish previously warmed up, stire and put in middle of oven, no cover.

20 minutes by the timer. Then stir in grated Parmesan, turn mixture over with spoon. Another 15 minutes in oven by the timer - take out and cover with clean dish cloth while people come to the table. Sprinkle with shavings of Parmesan/substitute.

Goes well with tomato salad or baked tomatoes. Recipe originally from the Veggie section of Delia Smith's Winter Collection.

We have a lot of runner beans so are eating those with everything else. I am searching out my recipe for runner bean chutney.. Also plan to cook the actual beans from inside of pods, (lovely maroon and pink colour!) to a recipe I found here last week, LOL

.. if I can find it again...
#68 of 117 Old 09-22-2008, 02:46 PM

Tonight will be chili bean soup and cornbread with green chiles.
#69 of 117 Old 09-22-2008, 02:53 PM

Slow roasted garlic herb chicken with asparagus and maybe rice. Yum
#70 of 117 Old 09-22-2008, 05:47 PM

For dd and me, sloppy lentils from Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker , garlic mashed potatoes with kale, and probably broccoli. I have never tried the sloppy lentils before but they sure smell good!!

Jade : -Writing, vegan mom of Garrett, Drew, and Grace. Into feeling:
#71 of 117 Old 09-22-2008, 06:59 PM

We've been doing a lot of "self-defense" cooking lately (cereal anyone???), but tonight I'm making a frittata for the girls and I. It has CSA-box broccoli, potatoes, and leeks in it. Smells AWESOME!
#72 of 117 Old 09-22-2008, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Last night: skillet fauxganoff, roasted zuke/yellow squash/bell pepper/carrot, and watermelon

Tonight: Broccoli wild rice soup with added squash and bell pepper, crackers and cheese, salad
#73 of 117 Old 09-22-2008, 07:55 PM

Lunch was green scrambled eggs (added 2 drops of green food color before cooking the eggs), apple sauce, and toast. 4 yo DD was thrilled as I remember being when my mom did it for us. I, on the other hand, found it a bit gross looking and didn't eat much. I read the book aloud, with her demanded substitution "and applesauce instead of ham!"

Dinner is black beans and rice, which I think I've actually never made before, I usually do chili or burritos instead. With quesadillas and then strawberries for dessert. :

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#74 of 117 Old 09-22-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
Lunch was green scrambled eggs (added 2 drops of green food color before cooking the eggs), apple sauce, and toast. 4 yo DD was thrilled as I remember being when my mom did it for us. I, on the other hand, found it a bit gross looking and didn't eat much.
We make green eggs here by adding a bunch of pureed raw greens to the beat eggs before cooking them. I put greens (any kind: kale, chard, spinach, beet greens, collards, whatever we have) into the food processor until they are a total puree. My girls LOVE their "green eggs" and don't even ask how they got that way.

FWIW, this is also how we preserve greens from our CSA. We make the puree and then put it in ice cube trays covered with a layer of water. When the cubes are solid, we pop them into bags. We have half a dozen bags now, ready for our winter soups and scrambles and pastas! :
#75 of 117 Old 09-22-2008, 10:09 PM

Tonight was Savory French Lentils over a rice pilaf mixture, lemony roasted green beans, quick pickles, and an arugula salad with sungold cherry tomatoes and a garlic-tahini dressing. Woo-hoo! The lentils and the green bean recipe were from ED&BV, the dressing was from VWaV. It was all fabulous. The lentils and green beans were both easy and awesome, recommended.

#76 of 117 Old 09-22-2008, 10:38 PM

Last night was egglant Parm- minus the cheese with spaghetti and salad. And tonight is leftovers- minues the eggplant.

In a minute I am going to be making 2 doz cupcakes for my LLL group tomorrow- I'm doing an enrichment meeting about vegetarianism & breastfeeding

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#77 of 117 Old 09-22-2008, 11:36 PM

Keeta - smells great from here! I am thinking dinner at your house is on the menu!

Lizzy lol! I've been there...like last week! I actually found a box of frozen ORGANIC eggplant at BJ's (and never since! Guessing it wasn't a best seller?) and will use those w/tom. sauce and spag (angel hair usually) with more red sauce - totally yum w/a salad! And leftovers never have eggplant in them lol! I just always make too much spag!

So today I decided to use the crock pot instead of slamming dinner together at the last minute. I made a harvest veg soup w/squash, great northerns, sweet pots, carrots, etc. - totally yummy. I will freeze a bunch for friday (I remembered why I'm so exhausted - I have to have oral surgery and it totally freaks me out, thus I blank it out and feel exhausted when I think of that date) - the recommended food item is JELL-freaking- O! How gross.

#78 of 117 Old 09-22-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeca View Post
Keeta - smells great from here! I am thinking dinner at your house is on the menu!

So today I decided to use the crock pot instead of slamming dinner together at the last minute. I made a harvest veg soup w/squash, great northerns, sweet pots, carrots, etc. - totally yummy. I will freeze a bunch for friday (I remembered why I'm so exhausted - I have to have oral surgery and it totally freaks me out, thus I blank it out and feel exhausted when I think of that date) - the recommended food item is JELL-freaking- O! How gross.
C'mon over, I always make too much! Your soup sounds awesome, I love veg soup in the crock. Good for you for actually freezing some - I always intend to and never ever get around to it. Hope your oral surgery goes well!

#79 of 117 Old 09-22-2008, 11:56 PM

Thanks!

#80 of 117 Old 09-23-2008, 07:03 AM

Oh my, I've been lacking posting here!..

The other night we had veggie pot pie, then last night it was mashed potoatoes, grilled green garlicy beans and No-meat-'meatloaf'.
Today is spaghetti pie. Fruit for dessert as always

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#81 of 117 Old 09-23-2008, 01:18 PM

Gardenburger 'ribz', potatoes, beans, yellow squash, applesauce.
#82 of 117 Old 09-23-2008, 02:58 PM

Last nite I made an awesome coconut-chowder and sweet potato scones....

tonite- something with stuffing- I am feeling fallish..autumnal...
#83 of 117 Old 09-23-2008, 05:26 PM

I'm so falling off my meal planning ass over here. Too busy!

Last night I made a slow cooker soup that was awesome, but not planned. Tonight it's going to be something like garlicky green beans, potatoes of some kind, and un-chicken nuggets probably. Lame lame lame.

#84 of 117 Old 09-23-2008, 09:00 PM

OMGYum! We had a cabbage & mushroom pie from the Farmer John's Real Dirt on Vegetables Cookbook. It was a SLAM DUNK, so yummy and simple. Last night's frittata was also from this cookbook -- so far the recipes are really good and easy to make vegetarian or even vegan in many cases. Highly recommended!
#85 of 117 Old 09-23-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddledebi View Post
OMGYum! We had a cabbage & mushroom pie from the Farmer John's Real Dirt on Vegetables Cookbook. It was a SLAM DUNK, so yummy and simple. Last night's frittata was also from this cookbook -- so far the recipes are really good and easy to make vegetarian or even vegan in many cases. Highly recommended!
Yum, that sounds like one to check out!

Tonight we had Blackened Tofu, Potato Squashers and coconut-curry spinach. The first two were from ED&BV and the last was from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian (HtCEV?). All good! I would make them all again.

Oh and did I mention Pumpkin-Cheese Pie for dessert?!? Vegan pumpkin cheesecake in a (homemade) graham cracker crust. OMGYUM. Also from ED&BV.

#86 of 117 Old 09-23-2008, 09:55 PM

Tonight was veggies veggies and more veggies

Roasted acorn squash
Roasted onion, garlic, potatoes, purple carrots, beets with thyme salt and pepper
Eggplant and steamed beans sauteed in garlic, olive oil, tomatoes and basil
Salad with peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, pine nuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, dried cranberries, homemade croutons, walnut oil and lime!

IT WAS AMAZING...especially since everything buy the olive oil, bread frm croutons and salt came either frm our garden or the farmers market down the road...I LOVE FRESH FOOD!!!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#87 of 117 Old 09-23-2008, 09:59 PM

Holy freak ing cow. I ordered pizza.

can you send me the recipe for the pumpkin cheesecake, Keeta? Gosh, I'd REALLY appreciate that!! I have to go eat T'giving at my mother's who's idea of a vegetable is MAYBE an onion. She's a steak and potatoes kinda gal from waaaaay back. I'll be the lone and very lonely veg. at the entire table (swabbed elbow deep in turkey fat). BLEH.

#88 of 117 Old 09-24-2008, 09:49 AM

Lentil soup tonight w/fresh home made bread.

Keeta,
I'd love if you could post the recipe (or PM me?) for the pumpkin cheesecake too! That sounds so yummy!

mamabeca,
I'm feeling for ya! MIL (whom I love dearly!) will be coming over for Thanksgiving and she's like your mom a meat & potatoes w/tons of gravy person. She already asked if it's gonna be a meat free T-giving, so I 'allowed' DH to buy a turkey breast for her and himself and will make a small Seitan roast for my lone person (I know the kids wouldn't touch it either *sigh*)... [Let's only hope the roast turns out ok; last time I tried making one, it tasted horribly rubbery!.. *yuck*)

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#89 of 117 Old 09-24-2008, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Last night was leftover soup.

Tonight, we had BLATs: smart Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado and Tomato sandwiches on locally made Asiago rolls. Corn on the cob and watermelon. So yummy!
#90 of 117 Old 09-24-2008, 10:17 PM

FitMommy and mamabecca, I swear I will PM you guys with that recipe soon!

Tonight we had mexican tofu over tomato-y rice with a side of roasted squash rings. The squash was a new recipe from ED&BV and we really liked it! I will definitely make it again.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page