Vegan Teething Biscuits? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2008, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there, I'm trying desperately to find some vegan teething biscuits and all I get are ones made with baby cereal. DD is 8 months and just starting to eat some foods like avocado, apple slices, beans, etc. Things we eat, in short. I've never bought baby cereal and had no intention to. Beyond that, I am guessing vegan, organic baby cereal probably costs almost as much as simply buying the teething biscuits. I had envisioned something with oats and molasses and wheat germ, but everything I find either has eggs or baby cereal.

Anyone got anything? I did find one that uses banana, which I may make if I can't find anything. She does love banana. In fact, she has loved everything that we've tried giving her, which makes me but I do tire of the "make it vegan, substitute bananas" thing. I would like to have another option. Anyone may them with flax meal instead of egg? Or some other substitute? Thanks in advance for any ideas!

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

http://thejuicery.blogspot.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2008, 03:08 AM

Where are you finding teething bisquits with egg? Even If one isn't vegan, eggs aren't supposed to be introduced till later, and the should be specifically introduced not just in something, since they are a high allergy risk food. So most teething bisquits should be vegan simply to avoid common allergens.

IIRC DS's teething bisquits were mostly barley and maple syrup.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 10-22-2008, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah.. I thought so too But that's the majority of the recipes I'm getting. Many of them call only for the egg yolk. I don't know if that's supposed to help allergen-wise, but that's what I'm finding. Mind, these are recipes, not biscuits at the store. I did make some crackers, she loves them! With oats and what not, but I'd like to find something more biscuity.

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

Old 10-22-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juise View Post
Many of them call only for the egg yolk. I don't know if that's supposed to help allergen-wise, but that's what I'm finding.
The protiens that most frequently cause reactions are only present in the whites, so theoretically the yolks are harmless. In the past people gave babys just the yolks. However, with the increasing incidence of allergies, most experts now recommend avoiding egg all together, b/c hwhen you seperate the yolks from the whites it is almost never perfect. So, basically it's similar to using a knife to spread peanut butter on bread, then sticking the same knife into a jam jar, if a person with a peanut allergy cam along and used that jam they might have a reaction.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 10-22-2008, 03:57 PM

Don't use the ones from your mom. They are vegan and organic but guck apart to a disgusting degree. Maybe save them for her house. I guess those are the cereal ones. So gross.

ETA- We had some success with toast.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

eepster - Ah, at least now I get it. Thanks for the infos We're vegan so we won't be using any form of egg anyway

hanno - haha, I have no idea what you're talking about, but I have a feeling we'll probably find out in the near future

Old 10-22-2008, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

As far as toast - I was thinking about it, I just wanted to make something healthier and yummier, like I was attempting to describe in my first post. I don't know, though, I'm about ready to give up, I think.

Oh, and I noticed today she seems to have cut part of her mouth on one of the crackers Doesn't seem to be bothering her now, but now I know why she suddenly started crying for a wee bit yesterday while eating one. I think I need to find something friendlier for now. Baked toast just seems so rough, too, like the crackers. Maybe I'm just being overly silly about this entire thing.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:44 PM

Not sure if you're looking for some to buy, but these are the ones we use...
http://www.healthytimes.com/htbabybiscuits.htm

You can replace eggs in most baking recipes with ground flaxseed. For each egg, use 1TB of flaxseed meal mixed with 3TB boiling water.

Good luck!
Old 10-22-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOMommy View Post

You can replace eggs in most baking recipes with ground flaxseed. For each egg, use 1TB of flaxseed meal mixed with 3TB boiling water.

Good luck!

those are the gucky ones!
Old 10-22-2008, 06:08 PM

lol! They are quite gucky! But O likes them.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

What is gucky!

Old 10-22-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juise View Post
What is gucky!
As soon as saliva hits them, they become a messy messy wad of smearable yuck. Like brown toothpaste. Juka has vetoed them.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOMommy View Post

Good luck!
super super messy,but man does my babe have fun with these!!
Old 10-23-2008, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Lol, oh boy. Well, certainly an option, but I sure would like to make some. Maybe I'll just pick a recipe and try it out with the flax.

User Tag List