4 month old CIO in our arms no matter what we do - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 12-05-2008, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
have you tried holding her on one arm, face down with her head near your elbow and the heel of your hand putting pressure on her belly? our dd would have cried non stop if I hadn't known about that particular hold. It helps with colic/gassiness immensely. Make sure the heel of your hand is putting pressure on wherever in her tummy may feel gassy - mid to lower stomach. You don't want to push the gas back up into her ribs. Then stand and bounce from side to side and do the shh shhh shhh noises. This works so well on many fussy babies.

Maybe that won't help at all, but then again maybe it will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 34 Old 12-06-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangledblue View Post
So, I guess this isn't really CIO becuase we stay with her, but almost every bedtime our 4 month old screams, anywhere from 10 min to an hour. She seems to associate crying with sleep, but usually only in the evening (mostly goes down fine for naps). She gets into this unreachable spiral where nothing helps...not nursing, not distractions, not cuddling. We start putting her to bed as soon as she seems tired, so I don't know how to prevent it if it's overtiredness. Help! I feel awful for her, I worry about her brain development from the stress, and it makes every even stressful for us.
I have learned that my 12 week old cries if we wait too long to put her to sleep. When it gets to that point, and she won't stop crying, we turn on the Roomba, and she's asleep in about 15 minutes! Works like a dream everytime!

And we have clean floors afterwards!
#33 of 34 Old 12-06-2008, 09:04 PM

My baby did this for almost a month, white noise helped him more than anything. We didn't buy a machine, we just go here: http://www.simplynoise.com/ since it's free.

Cut yourself some slack, you sound like a great mom.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#34 of 34 Old 12-07-2008, 03:11 PM

Our DD cried A LOT for the first 5 months and I could never understand why she was so different to most of the other babies I heard about in my Mum and Baby groups

It took a long time to get to see a Peditrician as health care is free here in the UK - you have to WAIT A LONG TIME to see anyone, even if you think it is urgent

Finally we got there and DD has bad reflux and after numerous visits and slow weight gain she was put on Prilosec (after trying everything else) and now finally she is much better and the crying has ceased largely

I wondered how long she has been on Prilosec as it can take up to 4 weeks to work?

Also, try to space the Zantac 4 hours apart, after or before the Prilosec, otherwise neither drug works so well - I'm sure your Ped told you that, but it's worth mentioning just in case

Now at 7 months we have a vague routine, though it slips constantly here and there but she's a lovely little personality, smiles constantly at everyone, so it does get better

We also had many months of constant screaming, night and day, and the only thing was wearing her in a sling, taking her in a stroller or nursing her and of course co-sleeping, that gave her any comfort

It's very hard to cope with, she was my first and I thought I was doing something wrong

But it was just her tummy hurt and that made everything go bananas

I really hope the reflux is sorted now, anyway you will know as the slow weight gain is a good indicator that the drugs would not be working

I think these babies are very high needs as they have been in pain for so long and have become very stressed and the slightest thing makes them cry, it is their response for everything

It is very hard not to worry, but 4 months is peak age for reflux, hopefully it will begin to fade soon

Feeling your difficulties, worry and stress, I have soooooooo been there myself! Wishing you all the best

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page