Suddenly not sleeping suddenly at 5 mos – HELP! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 12-22-2008, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS was a dream sleeper his whole life. (LOL, I knew my luck would run out eventually!)

3 weeks ago, he outgrew the bassinette, so I started co-sleeping. He’d wake up practically ONCE AN HOUR! Big change… for the worse! I gave it nearly 2 weeks & it didn’t improve, so I figured he’s not fond of the co-sleeping. So I moved his crib into my bedroom – but it’s still the same. I can’t figure it out!! I sorta alternate now, sometimes put him back in the crib after nursing, sometimes leave him in bed with me. There seems to be no difference either way.

Nothing else has changed. He hasn’t hit a “milestone” that would make him wake more, like crawling (he doesn’t even seem to be close). He seems healthy, good mood during the day. For a while, he was nursing more frequently during the day, but not lately, so I don’t think it’s hunger. I also don’t think it’s hunger because he had 12 oz formula the week before last (a VERY rare thing - we were out & I had no eBM) & he STILL woke up often.

Of course, my Mom is saying maybe he needs rice cereal before bed. . I’m not interested in starting him on solids before 6 mos & before the other milestones of readiness.

Of course, I can mostly go right back to sleep while nursing him, so the sleep-deprivation isn’t killing me too much yet, but the biggest problem is that I don’t get to pump. I WOH 4 days per week & used to pump one breast while feeding him on the other after his long stretch of sleep. That's the biggest problem at the moment. How/when can I pump if he's nursing every 1-2 hours round the clock?!

ETA:
OK, I'm a moron! TEETHING! That's probably what it is. Maybe I'm more sleep-deprived than I thought! Although he's not showing other signs of teething (not much drool or fussiness), but I guess that could be it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-23-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Of course, my Mom is saying maybe he needs rice cereal before bed.
IMO, this makes no difference, sorry. My DS is 6.5 mos. Some nights he wakes up once, most nights twice, and ocassionally he STTN. The nights he has STTN he nursed at bed time, no solids at all. So, I think it's a myth that rice cereal will help his STTN - children wake up for all sorts of reasons, but hunger isn't usually the culprit.

Could you go to sleep on a "full" stomach? I don't think I could - on the contrary, I think digesting a meal while I tried to sleep would keep me awake!

I know it feels like this stage will last forever, but it won't. It may not look like he's hit a milestone, but it sounds like classic 4 mo sleep regression, albeit a little late. And teething could certainly be a contributing factor. My DS did this at 4.5 mos, and I thought I would die from fatigue!! But is passed. Hang in there Mama, it sounds like you are doing a great job of meeting his needs!!

Wife to Hank , Mommy to Gabriella 6.5 yrs Anthony 28 monthsand 3 angels wait for me in Heaven Praying to be a Proverbs 31 woman!!
#3 of 5 Old 12-24-2008, 01:05 AM

It's totally normal for babies to have a sleep regression at about four months. Dr. Sears has some good info on this. At this point it's probably best to find a solution that suits both your needs (for sleep and for care at night) the best.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :

#4 of 5 Old 12-24-2008, 01:03 PM

My DD went through the same thing it lasted about 2.5 weeks, maybe 3. I was going NUTS after a while.. I'm almost positive it was a growth spurt because at the end she was suddenly at least 4 inches longer! Now she wakes about every 2 or 3 hours, sometimes 4 but after I nurse her she falls back to sleep easily.
She's just about 7 months now and I can say for us the cereal makes no difference in her sleeping.
Hang in there... you can do it! :
#5 of 5 Old 12-24-2008, 01:56 PM

I'm sure it's very frustrating to go from having a dream sleeper to a babe who wakes up every hour at night to nurse--especially when you don't know the cause. I agree with the pps that it could be teething, growing, milestones or four-month sleep regression. I think the main thing to remember, though, is that you may not figure out exactly what it is but that it WILL PASS! My dd is 19 months old now and she has gone through every sleep phase imaginable. As soon as I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out why she is waking up all night long, she stops and starts sleeping well again. With little ones, it can be hard to know what the problem is exactly, 'cause it could be so many different things, but usually, no matter what it is, the problem is just gonna resolve itself down the line anyway, so don't stress over trying to figure out exactly what's going on...

Good luck and I hope you get a good night's sleep soon!

Mama to a beautiful girl since May 2007 and a beautiful boy since August 2010! :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page