Need help with co-sleeping routine!! Does your (co-sleeping) LO start the night in bed or in a crib/ bassinet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-29-2008, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
3 month old DS sleeps with me in my queen bed (DH usually sleeps in a different room). Normally I start his bedtime routine between 9 and 10, and by 10 or 11 have nursed him to sleep. At that point I frequently get up and putter around for an hour or more before joining him in bed.

But what do I do once he starts rolling over and or/ crawling around? I have some foam bumpers I can use initially when he can just roll over, but once he gets more active, I fear it won't be safe for him to be in bed when I'm not. My bed is quite high.

What do you do about this?
---I suppose some people start their LOs out in a crib or bassinet in the evening, then transition them to the bed after they wake up the first time. I am not crazy about that idea because I nurse DS to sleep lying down, and that's half the beauty of co-sleeping!
---Do some of you have your mattress on the floor?
---Or do you just go to bed when your LO goes to bed?
---What other arrangements are there?

The issue applies to naptime as well. Right now he tends to nap in his bouncy seat, on my person, or occasionally in the bed. How does your (mobile) LO nap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2008, 03:04 AM

I nurse DD down in our rocker and then she starts the night in her crib. Then I bring her to our bed which has a bed rail on my side on her first waking. (If I'm in bed already).

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
Old 12-29-2008, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzeps View Post
I nurse DD down in our rocker and then she starts the night in her crib. Then I bring her to our bed which has a bed rail on my side on her first waking. (If I'm in bed already).
Glad that works well for you! It's been so nice to nurse DS to sleep lying down in bed, and to just leave him where he is. Before I learned to do that, I'd nurse him to sleep sitting up in bed, then either place him in the bassinet or down on the bed, but either way he'd sometimes wake up in the transfer
Old 12-30-2008, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

No one else out there want to share their approach? Or is there another resource or previous thread I should be looking at?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:38 PM

I nurse my DD (5 months old) to sleep in the glider in her nursery and then she and I both go to bed. I do the "limp arm" check before I get up out of the glider and am usually able to lay her down in our bed without her waking. Unfortunately, at the moment, that means I sometimes go to bed at 8pm. I just don't feel comfortable leaving her in our king size bed alone and she absolutely cannot stay asleep in her arm's reach co-sleeper.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:16 PM

Hi there. First off, I'm sooo jealous of you mommas who can nurse your babies down. My ds hasn't let me nurse jim down since he was 3 months old. Right now we have a one hour bedtime routine that ends with me bouncing him in my arms for 5 - 20 minutes, then putting him in a packnplay in our room. Once he wakes up (anywhere from 30 min 1 hour later) I then nurse him back to sleep in our bed (he let's me nurse himback to sleep, just not down for the first time). If I'm not ready for bed yet, I barricade him in the bed with laundry hampers, pillows and a bed rail and listen in carefully ok the baby monitor. If he stirs I race in. It is really less than ideal, bit that is where we are right now. Hopefully he will stay in the packnplay longer in the future...

Kelly, wife to my wonderful DH , and mom to DS1 born 1/20/2008 and DS2 born 7/14/2010 by VBAC.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:48 PM

Around the time that my LO was getting ready to roll over, he had moved from the co-sleeper to the bed. I always made sure that he was in the middle of the bed with a line of pillows blocking him if he were to roll over repeatedly to the edge of the bed. At that time in his life, we were using a king size bed that was pretty elevated. I was concerned and made sure we checked on him frequently and we didn't have any problems.

But when we moved to a double bed, with a bedrail, then we had issues. One time he fell between the side of the mattress and the bedrail, another time he slipped between the mattress and bedrail to the floor. I didn't like that arrangement.

When we got back home (it was a summer of travelling) we put the crib up as a side car so if he rolled at least that way, he'd end up in the crib. At night, I felt was the safest arrangement because he was also between my husband and I in the bed. Naps were why I purchased a baby monitor so I could hear when he woke up and get to him before he got to the edge of the bed. That was very useful for about 6 months (between 6 months and 1 year) until he learned how to slide off the bed safely without help.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

Old 12-31-2008, 12:19 AM

We moved our mattress to the floor after my oldest son fell off the bed. We've had it on the floor since then and don't regret it a bit.

I've always nursed my kids to sleep (The oldest is weaned and goes to sleep either holding my hand or with me rubbing his back.) and then stayed up for a bit either reading in bed or doing laundry, etc. Later I lay back beside them and go to sleep.

Live and love with your whole being.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:33 AM

I have always had my kids start out in their own beds at night (in my room though) and then I go to bed on the first night waking...has worked for us. I also use this bed for naps....

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 

User Tag List