Is it safer to have a "fake" bed for you kids? (A CPS type question) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Is it a good idea to have other beds for your kids?
Yes, have beds for your kids even if they don't use them 53 62.35%
Nah, no need to have extra beds if no one is using them 24 28.24%
other 8 9.41%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 66 Old 01-13-2009, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We live in a rental, although we have 3 bedrooms. One of which has been converted into a big storage room (keep all clothes and toys in there). My son does not really have his own bed, although for the last week or so, I've gotten him to sleep on the sofa (our big bed is actually in the living room and the back bedroom has been recently converted to a computer room/dining room area--yeah, not exactly traditional). This thread got me thinking, then I realized that we have the old crib still set up day-bed style in the storage room, albeit with boxes of blankets and stuffed animals on it. If there were any issues with CPS (not likely, but still), we could always clear it off and say that it is his bed (and move the garment racks into the computer room or something) and bedroom. We will have a pack-n-play for the new baby. And our daughter has her own bedroom.
#62 of 66 Old 01-14-2009, 01:52 PM

i agree about the fire thing in terms of safely collecting my kids--better to have the kids nearby.

the cps thing: probably varies state to state and cty to cty, but in MA where i used to live, one of cps's BIG litmus tests re:neglect was to check that all kids had their own beds (or a double bed for 2 kids) that were functional and had clean sheets and pillows. i don't know that they would immediately yank the kids if there weren't but they would definitely open a case.

there was a cultural exception for cambodians and other folks whose cultures traditionally used cosleeping, but this wasn't extended to hippies and ap folks.

does anyone know if their are activist groups working to make cps sensitive to ap styles?
#63 of 66 Old 01-14-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junipermoon View Post
there was a cultural exception for cambodians and other folks whose cultures traditionally used cosleeping, but this wasn't extended to hippies and ap folks.
HUMAN culture traditionally used cosleeping.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#64 of 66 Old 01-14-2009, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
There is no law against co-sleeping, some people who work at health and welfare co-sleep with their children too as do many other people from all walks of life, and the research on co-sleepings harm is spotty. I think a bed is good for other reasons, but not just for CPS if it doesn't fit into what your children want right now. If you do decide to get beds for each you can get a crib size mattress pretty cheap at thrift shops and put them up against the wall with your blankets folded up. I think you should be okay as long as you buckle your child in and don't seem abusive to your neighbors or in public.
#65 of 66 Old 01-14-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I would be very interested in seeing such laws or ordinances.

-Angela
I know there have been attempts around here by some towns to create rules/ordinances like this, but the basis of the idea was fairly racist in nature.

As housing around us got more expensive, a lot of towns in our area discovered that extended Hispanic and Asian families were purchasing houses together (several generations going in together in order to come up with enough of the purchase price so to be able to get a traditional mortgage). So they tried to pass laws limiting the number of people per house/per bedroom and in case of identified violation, the structure's occupancy permit would be suspended.

On different level, HOAs (homeowners associations) were also trying to pass bylaws limiting the number of people per bedroom.

I think some HOAs locally did succeed in implementing bylaws like this but we're in a state where the HOA power is very limited (in communities of detached homes; they have much more power in townhome communities) and nothing much has come of it. I don't think any towns succeeded.

(I just did a google search on hoa bylaws "people per bedroom" and a brief scan of the first couple pages of results looks like that's where you going to run into this most with owned properties.)
#66 of 66 Old 01-14-2009, 02:59 PM

This is concerning to me because I do co sleep, and being of a young age, am always paranoid of being judged unfairly ... I don't know!

forever following the lead of a colorful active little monkey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page