Bed wetting?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-15-2009, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wasn't sure where else to put this.

I AM SO FRUSTRATED!!!!

My 5 Y/O DSD is a night time bed wetter. I actually think she is doing it in the early morning hours. I was having to wake her up three times at night and with my almost 2 year old still night waking and me being pregnant, I don't feel like I should have to wake up a 5 y/o. So we put her in pull ups at night. SHE WENT THROUGH A PULL UP?????????????????????? She did sleep in this morning, but this isn't a little accident, she is peeing a lot to soak a pull up through. I'm just really frustrated. We don't have a washer here and it is reeally hard to wash her sheet. Anyway. I needed to vent.

ETA: Even when I wake her she still pees. I almost think it's for attention sometimes. She is a very young 5 and likes to be babied.
#2 of 14 Old 01-15-2009, 10:52 AM

I'm on my 2nd kid with night time pee issues. It is hard. But it's even harder for them. I know it's frustrating for you, but they do NOT do it on purpose. She will likely grow out of it in a few years. For now, maybe a larger size pull up? They absorb more.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#3 of 14 Old 01-15-2009, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

She's tiny, the bigger ones fall down.

I know not ALL kids do it on purpose, but they have been through some traumatic things and this was a big change moving an hour away from their grandma and in with me. I have heard of some children doing it for attention.

I happened to have been a bed wetter until I was 12. I had to be put on a medication. I am wondering if they still make it/offer it.
#4 of 14 Old 01-15-2009, 07:38 PM

I seriously doubt she's doing it for attention. I wet the bed until I was 10 and I promise you, it was not on purpose. I'd try a bigger pull up and sweat pants at night. Do you get up with her in the night? I know my mom had to get up with me in the wee morning hours to take me to the bathroom, especially in the winter time.
#5 of 14 Old 01-15-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMindedMomma View Post

I AM SO FRUSTRATED!!!!

My 5 Y/O DSD is a night time bed wetter. I actually think she is doing it in the early morning hours. I was having to wake her up three times at night and with my almost 2 year old still night waking and me being pregnant, I don't feel like I should have to wake up a 5 y/o. So we put her in pull ups at night. SHE WENT THROUGH A PULL UP?????????????????????? She did sleep in this morning, but this isn't a little accident, she is peeing a lot to soak a pull up through. I'm just really frustrated. We don't have a washer here and it is reeally hard to wash her sheet. Anyway. I needed to vent.

ETA: Even when I wake her she still pees. I almost think it's for attention sometimes. She is a very young 5 and likes to be babied.
My 5 year was a heavy bed wetter but we've seen a big change since seeing a chiropractor

proud mama to: DD (8/02), DS (12/03), DS (11/06), DS (9/09) and pos.gif EDD 11/1

#6 of 14 Old 01-15-2009, 07:45 PM
2xy

Quote:
Even when I wake her she still pees. I almost think it's for attention sometimes. She is a very young 5 and likes to be babied.
As the mother of a boy who wet nightly until he was 11, I can assure you with nearly 100% certainty that it's not for attention. I think that a child would have to be extremely attention-starved to go that far. Nobody likes waking up wet and stinky.

And my son wet more than once per night, too. And he soaked through his pull-ups. I eventually just stopped buying pull-ups because they weren't containing his pee, anyway. Plastic mattress covers were our friends.
#7 of 14 Old 01-16-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:

I AM SO FRUSTRATED!!!!

I am really sorry. It is hard, but please, please, please, don't let her hear you say you think she's doing it on purpose. I wet the bed until I went away to college, and I do believe it was in some part psychological, but I could not control it. Believe me, going to sleepovers and camp in your teens and being paranoid about wetting the bed or someone finding out is awful. But my mom really blamed me and still does, and it seriously hurt our relationship.

That said, have you considered food allergies? I have a friend on here, whose son wets the bed when he get corn.

Also, children who are very heavy sleepers don't even get the signal to wake up. I used to dream I was getting up all.the.time. And my mom woke me up and I'd still wet.

Also, ADD and bedwetting are linked.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#8 of 14 Old 01-16-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
She's tiny, the bigger ones fall down.

I know not ALL kids do it on purpose, but they have been through some traumatic things and this was a big change moving an hour away from their grandma and in with me. I have heard of some children doing it for attention.

I happened to have been a bed wetter until I was 12. I had to be put on a medication. I am wondering if they still make it/offer it.
I can hear your frustration in your posts.

Reread what you wrote here. It makes sense that if you had bed wetting issues that required medication that your child could have the same issue. Please don't assume this is attention getting.

I think a trip to your doctor might be helpful.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#9 of 14 Old 01-16-2009, 02:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Our children, no matter how we're connected to them, mirror our issues back to us to give us the opportunity to work thru them.
How did your mom handle it when you wet? Was she comforting/supportive or judgmental/critical?
Despite your frustration, how do you want to come across to this child? You've been there and know she will remember it the rest of her life too.
Do you have enough sheets to make it thru til laundry day? That will help stem some of the frustration I would imagine. You can get cheap/free sheets on freecycle, craigslist or 2nd hand stores, new ones cheap from wal-mart or Ross.
Do what you can to make it easier for you both.
Here's to it being a short and passing phase as she transitions more securely into your home.
*Hugs* Chelsie

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#10 of 14 Old 01-16-2009, 02:08 AM

My 8 y/o dd still regularly wets the bed.
She refuses to wear pull-ups now...
I or dh carryher to bathroom in the middle of the night to pee.
Even with this, she still has accidents a couple times per month.
She is a VERY heavy sleeper.
I am SO looking forward to the day I am not doing so much laundry.
But I am certain that my girl is not doing this for attention.
Hang in there, you can handle this!
#11 of 14 Old 01-17-2009, 01:30 AM

I remember reading not to long ago your post on the step parenting board about the situation with your dsc. So yeah, it could be a combination of things....the big change that she has just gone through and just a really deep sleeper who does not have control of her bladder yet. It's actually fairly common.

My dd is 5yo and wets her bed every.single.night. We don't do the pull ups because dd said it made her feel like a baby, and I respect her feelings. I also feel ya on the no washer/dryer situation, as we don't have them either. Dd also, on a few occassions would wet her bed right after being woken up...I asked her about it, and she just said that her bladder was so full and that she couldn't make it to the bathroom in time.

As frustrating as it can be for you, think about how upsetting it is for her...who really likes to wake up wet, cold and smelly?

And considering everything she has been through lately with her mom and then moving in with you guys, I'm not surprised she needs some extra attention...my dd is emotionally young for her age and needs to be 'babied' (I really dislike that term...just seems so negative).

Just give her lots of hugs and kisses and when she wakes up wet in the mornings, let her know it's not a big deal and change her sheets...that little bit will go a long way. Good luck!
#12 of 14 Old 01-17-2009, 06:48 AM

i was a heavy bed wetter until 14, there is a brand of overnight diaper type things called "goodnights" they hold MUCH more than pull ups do, i would recommend that.
i have never ever heard of a five year old wetting the bed for attention. i wet the bed because of a lot of trauma as a child and i was constantly being punished for it. please, please, please dont tell her that you think she is doing it on purpose or punish her for it, that would make me very sad
its a common problem that many people go through and they usually grow out of it on their own.

have you also thought about getting extra large underpads from the drug store to put under her as well so you dont have to change the sheets even if she does soak through her pull ups?
#13 of 14 Old 01-17-2009, 07:08 PM

My son is 6, he has consistently wet the bed 5-7 night a week for 2 years. Here is what we do:

Mattress cover, sheet, mattress cover (like a sheet), sheet, big pad (like changing pad) on top. If he wets through, remove top set of sheets and mattress cover and pad and wash them. Also, I stop letting hm drink after 7 pm and no juice after 4 pm. He does not wear a pull up, he is allergic to disposable diapers so he justs wears underwear. I did have him wear a cloth pull up for a while but he still leaked onto his bed.

All the best!

Jen

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

#14 of 14 Old 01-18-2009, 12:28 AM

Would you consider trying homeopathy, such as Hyland Bed Wetting Tabs?http://www.healthegoods.com/product/...hy-homeopathic I have heard great reviews from other parents with similar issues. My mother used to give my brother a teaspoon of honey before bed, during his night time routine and it "cured" his bed wetting. May have been a placebo, but it had the desired results.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page