11 month old, waking at night, screaming - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-26-2009, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all - I have an 11 month old daughter who has never been a very good sleeper. For the first 4 or 5 months she would sleep 3 hour stretches. Since 6 months old, it has been 1-2 hours, and lately every 45 minutes. However for the past 4 or 5 months she frequently wakes up screaming. I try to nurse her (which is usually all she needs) or I pick her up, but she continues to arch her back and cry. Sometimes we have to turn on the lights for her to calm down. We have co-slept since birth and she is still nursing. CIO is not an option for us. I can handle the waking, it's the screaming that is bothering me. Doctors suspected she had GERD when she was younger, so I'm wondering if that could be the problem, or possibly an allergy or sensitivity to something I'm consuming (she doesn't eat a lot of solids, and this started pre-solids). Any insight would be great. Thanks in advance!
#2 of 3 Old 01-26-2009, 09:29 PM

Lots of people have suggested I look into food allergies related to my DS's nightwaking. He only screams if I don't nurse him, or if I'm not in the room. Kellymom.com has some good info on the top culprits, if you want to start somewhere with an elimination diet.

I don't have any real answers for you, as I'm still dealing with nightwaking, but since you don't yet have other replies...

Other things people have mentioned to me are:
- Is the baby hungry for more solids?
- Does baby need to burp? Is is baby gassy?
- Is baby thirsty for water?
- Is baby uncomfortable because of polyester PJs or skin issues?
- Is someone else in the bed waking your LO by accident?

It's so hard to know what's going on inside them. Any possible solutions or something you can do if you suspect GERD?

And just out of curiosity, what kind of cry does it seem like to you? I know sometimes I get the feeling DS is just angry that he's up. Like DH's snoring interrupted his sleep.

I don't know. Hope others have some answers for you. Good luck.

Loving DH :, chasing DS (3/08) and getting to know sweet DD (born 3/10 at home).
#3 of 3 Old 01-27-2009, 11:41 AM

DD started crying out in her sleep a lot after a long car trip. We took her to a chiro for an adjustment, and her night crying stopped. The night crying came back after another long car trip. After she was adjusted again, the crying stopped again.

It's miserable not to know what is wrong. I hope you figure it out soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page