DS wants to sleep in his own bed, but won't sleep! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-28-2009, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What the heck! I just weaned my 2 year old and he has started to nap in his own bed. Now he has been asking to sleep at night in his own bed. I don't mind that at all, since I have been having a lot of body pain with him sleeping with us. However, DS asks to fall asleep in his bed but then throws the biggest fit and stays in his room reading books until 11pm until he crashes. What is going on? Is there a better way to let him sleep in his bed and actually get him to sleep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 01-29-2009, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We slept with my 2 1/2 year old until she was around 2, when she got her Big Girl Bed. She still wanders into our bed and I return to her bed with her at some point every night.

At bedtime, I lie down with her until she falls asleep. We get in bed, read one book, turn out the light, then I say some prayers (we're not uber religious, but I think it's great to bless our loved ones and be thankful!) and sing, then switch to a lullaby cd. It takes anywhere from 15-40 minutes for her to sleep.

At this point she would never fall asleep on her own. She's just wander out to wherever we are.

It's not ideal, but at least she's falling asleep at a reasonable time. To me it seems like a logical way to "wean" her from cosleeping...it makes sense that she wants someone with her when she falls asleep. Though I look forward to her sleeping on her own, it is a very sweet and tender time.

Anyway, maybe lying down with your kiddo will work and be a good transition for him.

Best wishes!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page