transitioning 4 month old from family bed to crib - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 02-23-2009, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so we tried this and it was super hard on us. also baby wouldn't settle unless pacifier was in her mouth and every time it fell out she woke up and fussed so back i went. i lasted for about 2 hours and then brought her back to our bed where she did the same thing. she tries to get her thumb when this happens but that doesn't help. any thoughts?
#2 of 23 Old 02-23-2009, 12:35 PM

4mo old is probably the WORST time to try moving a LO, unfortunately. You have teeth maybe and the 4mo sleep regression. There is a reason she wants a paci in her mouth all night, because she would prefer it be you. When she is in bed, do you let her nurse?

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

#3 of 23 Old 02-23-2009, 12:41 PM

I agree 4 months is a really hard time. DD moved out of our bed and her bassinet (in and out of both throughout the night) at around 6 months. She spent the first few hours asleep in her crib and the rest of the night after she woke up, in our bed. Can you attach a co-sleeper or bassinet in the meantime? It can help the transition for both parties.

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#4 of 23 Old 02-23-2009, 01:18 PM

What is your reason for transitioning?

IMO babies need to sleep with mama.

-Angela
#5 of 23 Old 02-23-2009, 01:46 PM

My vote would be lose the paci, insert breast, go back to sleep My ds is just about 18 months and I still feel like he's way to young to sleep alone!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#6 of 23 Old 02-23-2009, 03:16 PM

4 months is a really hard time for sleep in babies. I had heard about it, and I have experienced it with both my kids. They start learning new skills, like rolling over, sitting up, grabbing things.... and their little minds and bodies just.don't.stop. If they stir awake just a smidge they immediately start practicing their skills....and then they wake themselves up the rest of the way. and then they need help to get back to sleep again. I would hold off on moving to a new bed for a few more months. They really do rest easier when they feel your warmth and solidness. You are a reassurance that some things stay the same when others are constantly changing.
#7 of 23 Old 02-23-2009, 05:13 PM

I spent weeks pondering how to gently transition our now 11 month LO out of our bed to make room for the baby on the way. Finally I bought a toddler bed with side rail and that has been working for the past three days for naps and for most of the night as well.

We spent a little time trying to transition to a crib, but it just wasn't worth it. He didn't get settled as well and rarely slept very long even if I got him set down asleep.

With the toddler bed, I can lie down with him and nurse him off to sleep, and he does a lot better.

Just wanted to offer that and say if you are willing to wait it may get easier for you because you'll have more options.

My only other thought is that baby may just be restless because it is a new spot. You may want to keep trying for a little while to see if it gets better.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#8 of 23 Old 02-23-2009, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

thanks. she hated the co-sleeper we'll keep trying. i didn't know it would be stressful on us not having her in bed with us.
#9 of 23 Old 02-23-2009, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

thanks. i didn't factor any of that in to the timing of the transition. makes sense. we love having her in bed with us but figured she should try having her own space. mother-in-law coming in april overnight so we need to start sometime.
#10 of 23 Old 02-23-2009, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

mother in law coming in april to stay overnight to watch baby so we need to do it sometime. also pressure from family.
#11 of 23 Old 02-23-2009, 07:29 PM

Are you breast feeding? When you mil is coming over to stay the night, are you going to be gone for the night also and mil will be watching your dd?

If not, then don't worry about it! The issues your family has with cosleeping is exactly that...THEIR issues, not yours. Your mama instincts are telling you to bring her to bed for a reason...follow them. Babies spent 9 months in your womb, all bundled up, hearing mamas voice and mamas heart beating day and night. To then be seperated from that can be a scary thing.

I have coslept with all of my kids until they were about 2ish years old, but my dd who is 5 is still in bed with me along with the baby (dh works nights).
#12 of 23 Old 02-23-2009, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

hi gina, yeah i breastfeed 95% of the time and supplement with formula when needed. i always breastfeed her at night before bed and if she wakes. mil coming end of april to let my hubby and i go away for the first time since the baby was born.
#13 of 23 Old 02-23-2009, 08:49 PM

why are you supplementing with formula? Come over to the breastfeeding forums

Tell your in-laws to stick it

Babies belong with mama.

-Angela
#14 of 23 Old 02-23-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scroyce View Post
hi gina, yeah i breastfeed 95% of the time and supplement with formula when needed. i always breastfeed her at night before bed and if she wakes. mil coming end of april to let my hubby and i go away for the first time since the baby was born.

Maybe I am missing it, but are you going to be gone over night, or just for a few hours in the evening?

And ditto what Angela said.
#15 of 23 Old 02-24-2009, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

some times i just need a break or if we're out to dinner or shopping, etc. it's easier with formula. also when someone else has her all day and i can't be there formula is the best option . i can't always pump and don't have a huge supply stored up. based on what i've read i think we'll wait and try the transition in another month or so. she slept with us last night and we all did much better. she got a bit restless around 4:00 so i nursed her back to sleep until just after 6:00.
#16 of 23 Old 02-24-2009, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

hi gine, sorry, we're going overnight. first night alone since ba by was born.
#17 of 23 Old 02-24-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scroyce View Post
some times i just need a break or if we're out to dinner or shopping, etc. it's easier with formula. also when someone else has her all day and i can't be there formula is the best option . i can't always pump and don't have a huge supply stored up. based on what i've read i think we'll wait and try the transition in another month or so. she slept with us last night and we all did much better. she got a bit restless around 4:00 so i nursed her back to sleep until just after 6:00.
Are you saying she only woke up once in the night (at 4:00) to be nursed? If so, that is awesome! I don't think just because you are going away for a night that you need to move her out of your bed completely. Maybe get her to sleep in her crib for naps? How would your MIL feel about sleeping with her while you all are away?

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#18 of 23 Old 02-24-2009, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

yeah she typically sleeps all night. goes to sleep betwwen 8-8:30. wakes anywhere from 3:30-5:15. i nurse and she sleeps for a few more hours. she doesn't really nap. falls asleep on the boppy after i nurse but only for 10-20 minutes so not worth going to her room as by the time i get there she's awake.
#19 of 23 Old 02-24-2009, 11:30 AM

DS is like that too with naps, though theyve been getting longer recently. but if i tried to take him to his crib he'd be awake, so i lay him on the couch or just hold him.

That is really young to go out of town overnight, but I think you should just stick with what is obviously working great for you all (cosleeping) and not mess that up. I would kill for a night of only one waking! DS wakes 6-10 times per night!

i would just talk to MIL and see if she can sleep with baby? or try reading "the no cry sleep solution" if you really want to transitiom her to her own crib.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#20 of 23 Old 02-24-2009, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

thanks catie. i'll certainly check out that book. i work from home a few days a week so most of her naps are on the boppy while i'm on the computer. napping in the crib would be awesome...maybe some day.
#21 of 23 Old 02-24-2009, 12:11 PM

it is mainly about helping your baby sleep through the night, but there is a section in there on transitioning to their crib from the family bed. Since your LO already sleeps through the night it will probably be pretty easy I would think. Good luck!

#22 of 23 Old 02-24-2009, 07:17 PM

I agree with LadyCatherine...it is kinda young to be going away overnight. You guys have a really good night routine going on right now, I wouldn't want to mess with a good thing.

Yay though that she sleeps through the night with only one waking!!! I am jealous, lol. Ds is up 4-10 times a night!
#23 of 23 Old 02-28-2009, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

we actually put her to bed in her crib last night and i slept on an air bed next to her crib. made it easier to sooth her rather than being in another room. she got restless about 2:00 so nursed her as she hadn't eaten since before7:00pm and she went right back down. woke ujp just after 4:00, nursed her again and then brought her back to bed with us until almost 8:00. we've been putting her in her crib for short spurts during the day for tummy time and to look at her mobiel and get her acclimated to the space.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page