His face was wrapped up in blankets!!! *update* - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 02-25-2009, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatedAttic View Post
Oh and we're strongly considering getting the Tres Tria this time around. A friend has one and loves it.
I have never seen such a thing and I WANT one!! I can even almost justify the price tag...
#32 of 57 Old 02-27-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkin View Post
I have never seen such a thing and I WANT one!! I can even almost justify the price tag...
$130!!!

I did the same thing with a regular $8 body pillow I got at bed bath and beyond...I just stuck it under the fitted sheet at the edge of the bed.
#33 of 57 Old 02-27-2009, 04:42 PM

I made a homemade SnuggleNest & used smaller pillows that was I was able to keep my blanket. Maybe you could devise something like that yourself.
#34 of 57 Old 02-27-2009, 05:23 PM

Only use thin blankets and wear warmer clothes, get a space heater or something if need be.

***TUCK YOUR BLANKETS AT THE FOOT OF THE BED SO THEY WILL ONLY COME UP TO WHERE YOU WANT THEM TO SIT WITH BABY. WHEN YOU ARE DONE NURSING, YOU CAN SCOOT DOWN A LITTLE LOWER SO YOU HAVE THEM HIGHER ON YOU. PUT THE EXTRA LENGTH OF THE PILLOWBEHIND YOUR HEAD WHERE BABY, OF COURSE, ISN'T LAYING. WHEN YOU SWITCH SIDES, ADJUST PILLOW ACCORDINGLY.***

Thats my $0.02!

aka: wannabeamamamia
SLC vegan mom to 2 boys- &
#35 of 57 Old 02-27-2009, 07:49 PM

Have you thought about getting rid of the blankets all together and just getting a space heater to keep your room warm? It can reduce your need for blankets to a light one that wont pose an issue. If you need a blanket, ehav you thought about using a small single one and put him in a sleep sack.
#36 of 57 Old 02-27-2009, 08:40 PM

I also need 3 pillows to sleep and the down comforter pulled up to my chin. Here is what I did when DD was cosleeping. I had DD between me and the cosleeper at the edge of the bed, later it was a bedrail, she never actually slept in the cosleeper. I would position my pillows so that I was sleeping on the very corner of them, the rest of them were behind my head towards DH and the middle of the bed. I would wrap the blanket around and under me at the very edge, so none of the blanket was near DD. She had her own space and it worked fine. Also, DH slept in another room so there was plenty of room in our queen and later king bed for this. She slept at breast level. I found that in the middle of the night it was much easier for me to fall asleep with the blanket closer to my waist while DD was nursing, but when I went to bed, I had to have everything "just so" before I could fall asleep. FWIW the blanket thing is not about warmth for me, but feel and weight on my body.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#37 of 57 Old 02-28-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post
I did the same thing with a regular $8 body pillow I got at bed bath and beyond...I just stuck it under the fitted sheet at the edge of the bed.
Me too. As for the pillows, I use a small throw pillow instead of the big bed style ones (for now). Baby sleeps up higher and I cover to around my natural waist.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#38 of 57 Old 02-28-2009, 12:23 AM

When my babes were still wee, I slept on my side facing them, with them at breast height and my lower arm curled around them. I would pull the blanket up to my shoulder, but would hold it down with my lower hand so that it did'n't come up higher than the baby's waist (so it basically went diagonally across my body and the baby). I would use a pillow, but had my head right one edge so it wasn't near the baby.
#39 of 57 Old 02-28-2009, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
FWIW the blanket thing is not about warmth for me, but feel and weight on my body.
Me too. I have to have one even during the hottest stretches of the summer.

#40 of 57 Old 02-28-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamasBoys View Post
Does anyone have a link to a good bed rail?
I love this bedrail (they have an extra long one too). I bought it at Target in the baby section. It was secure enough that I regularly used it for back support while nursing. It's also very portable, coming apart into a very small light weight bag. We would take one with us whenever we traveled. When DD got mobile I put a second one for DH's side of the bed. It wouldn't have prevented her from trying to crawl off of the bed, but it certainly prevented her from accidentally rolling off when she was in the bed alone.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#41 of 57 Old 03-01-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post
I spread the pillows apart..leaving a 12 inch + space and put the baby there. If your pillows are too big, then buy smaller ones.

Good luck!!
yep. this is what we did when DD was small. we put her so her head was up between our two pillows. if you have a queen, that should be relative easy to do, i.e. the bed should be wide enough.

if you did that, even if some of the blankets were pretty high, they shouldn't get over his face. or, you can try a co-sleeper till babe gets a little older. once babe is older, you won't need to worry about this kind of thing because he'll be able to get covers and stuff off his face, all on his own, perfectly well.

also, i wanted to point out--you DID wake when he was covered up, and you rescued him, so from that standpoint it seems like you're doing fine. sometimes things happen, baby gets under a blanket or even rolls off the bed--you're alert enough to notice, and that's what really matters most. don't beat yourself up.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#42 of 57 Old 03-01-2009, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytobedone View Post
yep. this is what we did when DD was small. we put her so her head was up between our two pillows. if you have a queen, that should be relative easy to do, i.e. the bed should be wide enough.
This is what we have been doing, but when he wakes in the night to nurse and I pull him down to breast level, we fall asleep nursing and I haven't been waking up to scoot him back up top.

#43 of 57 Old 03-01-2009, 01:58 AM

I have a bedrail with the mesh...and love it.

Anyway, when DS was tiny (esp. when he was 1st born and I was literally delusional with tiredness...I woke up one morning 'looking for the after birth'...yeah..id lost it ) he slept in an 'arms reach co-sleeper' as soon as he could lift his head/roll etc I felt more confident that he could move if a cover went over his face. He usually sleeps between me and the bed rail and we have one duvet -no blankets that are easily 'rolled up'

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#44 of 57 Old 03-01-2009, 02:12 AM

I like DD between us so DH and I have our own blankets. She is a human furnace and hates blankets anyway lol.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#45 of 57 Old 03-01-2009, 02:21 AM

Baby ONLY sleeps between me and the wall, pillows behind me w/my head on the edge, covers (comforter only) pulled up on an angle so they cover my hips but baby is left uncovered. We kept a space heater in our room so it was warmer then the rest of the house and baby was OK w/o covers. We are a co-sleeping family, our 2 and 5 year old co-sleep still, but I also provide safe sleep education in my 'day job' and the real dangerous of suffucation do worry me. Consequently, we are very careful to keep all covers and pillows away from the baby, to not have cracks or gaps where baby could get trapped, and to not have baby sleep next to Daddy, who is just not as aware of where baby is as Mama. Co-sleeping is great, but you do need to be careful!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#46 of 57 Old 03-01-2009, 02:43 AM

Ditch the sheet, use just the comforter, and I find that baby is safer beside jus me, not between us.

The great thing about cosleeping is that you DO tune in when there's something up. Good job.
#47 of 57 Old 03-01-2009, 02:43 AM

We have 1 large comforter, but I basically "give" that to DH at night & have a cotton woven twin size blanket on me. None of our three kids has ever liked covers, so they kick them off when the co-sleep. (Not that it helps with a little 13 week old) Also, we pull our pillows really far apart & I sleep on the edge of mine. When DS is in the middle, I hook my arm around his head & body to keep things off of him.

Lisa (39), DH (51), SDS (29), DD (8/29/01), DD (8/22/03), DS (8/3/06), an angel named Xan angel1.gif, who went home on 12/18/10 and now a new bundle of joy due 05/24/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#48 of 57 Old 03-01-2009, 04:43 AM

Whoa whoa whoa...hold on!

No one has said this yet?

"I awoke to my 13 week old baby struggling and fussing. He normally sleeps between us and his face was completely wrapped up in sheet and blankets. Terrifying!!!!

How do I make co-sleeping safe for us?"

"I awoke". You woke up. Your baby struggled and you woke up.

You guys are safe. You're OK. You were there. You woke up b/c you heard your baby moving around.

This is the absolute beauty of having a family bed. You're there, even while sleeping, to help your child.

This isn't a terrifying moment, this is a moment to think "my baby is mature enough to move enough to get my attention, and I am aware enough to wake for my baby".

When my guy could move like that, I rejoiced, and dropped what few safety things we were doing, and we were only doing them b/c I was drugged after major abdominal surgery.
#49 of 57 Old 03-01-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamasBoys View Post
These ideas are all very sexy. LOL!
My co-sleeping pjs really turn my husband on, especially the cut-off thermal underwear top!
#50 of 57 Old 03-01-2009, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we sleep naked, with the heat on, and with heavy but open weave cotton blankets that one can breathe through. we have also done the thick, light, stiff comforter (wouldn't conform to baby's face.

when my first was brand new, I slept with her right in front of my face, I was so worried. . . I wake up every time, for every kid.
#51 of 57 Old 03-02-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkybean View Post

"I awoke to my 13 week old baby struggling and fussing. He normally sleeps between us and his face was completely wrapped up in sheet and blankets. Terrifying!!!!

You guys are safe. You're OK. You were there. You woke up b/c you heard your baby moving around.

This is the absolute beauty of having a family bed. You're there, even while sleeping, to help your child.

This isn't a terrifying moment, this is a moment to think "my baby is mature enough to move enough to get my attention, and I am aware enough to wake for my baby".
I said the same stuff upthread. Though I think the OP will be getting more restful sleep if she puts in place a few of the suggestions here so she can really relax.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#52 of 57 Old 03-02-2009, 12:18 AM

http://familysleeper.com/

I wanted to get one with ds, but we never got around to it...heck, lol, I still want to get one!
#53 of 57 Old 03-02-2009, 02:35 AM

I have always used a pillow - DS was always down by my breast, so nowhere near the pillow.

Pull covers up to your waist, DH sleeps lower on bed than you. I've had baby between me and guardrail OR in the middle but CLOSER to me - never nearer to DH because men and non-lactating women do not have the same sensitivity to the baby's movements/presence/etc.

I wear long sleeves to bed - I like flannel shirts. I can pull them over me like a blanket if I'm cold, or just let them be a little open if I want a little more air. In the summer I slept with a t-shirt on and just lifted it.

B, happily married to M. Mother to two boys: B (3/08) and A (9/10)
#54 of 57 Old 03-02-2009, 02:45 AM

I'm at all the images of ya'll with shirts cut so your boobs can stick out! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora_skys View Post
Get ridof that top sheet! Its thin, sticks close to the skin and face, and as you have learned baby can get wrapped in it easily!! Just sleep with a warm comforter. I find that a stiffer one works well for us because baby just pushes it away from his face and it stays where he pushes it.
This works for us. That extra topsheet only gets tangles and one big comforter is much easier to maneuver. Dh sleeps with ds1 and their blankets and I'm with baby. He sleeps between me and the bed rail. I used to put him up next to my pillow and then bring him down to nurse. I wear turtle necks to sleep so when he comes down to nurse I can keep the covers lower. That is a bit of a sacrifice for me b/c i love covers up to my chin.

Also, I agree w/ the pp, that you will wake up to help your baby. This is a great wakeup call for you to make things safer, but move forward with confidence and try not to be too worried!
#55 of 57 Old 03-02-2009, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
put babe over the sheet or covers and yes, take all pillows away. it's actually better for your spine anyway imo. also, our 9 month just got very active, so we've decided to lower mattress to floor, and i think the against the wall idea is best, we're trying to configure our room so we can do that too. better safe than sorry!
#56 of 57 Old 03-02-2009, 04:05 PM

I was thinking about this thread last night and a thought occurred to me. Since the incident happened after you brought your LO down to nurse and fell asleep before putting him back up at the head of your bed, I was thinking maybe you could move the blankets down when you bring him down to nurse. This way if you do fall asleep there will be nothing for him to get tangled in. Chances are you wont sleep that long since you need the comfort of you blankets at that point you can move him back up along with the blankets. GL with everything, Alicia

As an aside for those interested in the Tres Tria we have one and love it.
#57 of 57 Old 03-03-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkybean View Post

When my guy could move like that, I rejoiced, and dropped what few safety things we were doing, and we were only doing them b/c I was drugged after major abdominal surgery.
i said that

more or less anyway...

completely agree with you; the aim with co-sleeping is not to have nothing go wrong, ever, but to know that you can, will, and do respond when it does. wherever baby sleeps, something will go wrong (arm through crib slat; spit up and lie in it; whatever!). but with co-sleeping, the odds are soooo much better that mama will catch the problem.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page